post #6751 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptwo View Post

While trying to spot a friend in the background of a scene in Dragonball (yeah, I know), I ended up spotting a stuck pixel on my new 151. What's odd is that the pixel seems to behave normally at times, especially with bright colours, but will occasionally end up stuck on red, usually when displaying darker shades.

I'm not going to return the set for one intermittent, "laggy" pixel, but I'm wondering if this is something that might go away in time?

It's highly unpredictable. There are owners who have seen stuck pixels "unstick" and others who never see them change at all. I know that some people, like Roman, recommend running high-contrast, heavily-saturated content like Pixar movies to help clear them up. But I can't personally speak to whether that'll work or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

It's highly unpredictable. There are owners who have seen stuck pixels "unstick" and others who never see them change at all. I know that some people, like Roman, recommend running high-contrast, heavily-saturated content like Pixar movies to help clear them up. But I can't personally speak to whether that'll work or not.

Yes I have seen this work many times but its not guaranteed
post #6753 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Do you have a post-calibration report? Those numbers could be ideal or sub-optimal but it's difficult to know absent any measurements.

Attached is all I have on the Post Calibration report. Maybe you can help me read it? Does it look good to you?

Appreciate any input you guys can provide as to the quality of this calibration.
LL
post #6754 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
gaz

I down loaded the firm ware update onto a flash drive and successfully updated my PDP 5020FD. However, I was unable to update the firm ware on my new PDP 151FD. I tried two times without success. Has anyone had similar problems? If so, how can I correct the update problem on my PDP 151FD?

gaz
post #6755 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post

I down loaded the firm ware update onto a flash drive and successfully updated my PDP 5020FD. However, I was unable to update the firm ware on my new PDP 151FD. I tried two times without success. Has anyone had similar problems? If so, how can I correct the update problem on my PDP 151FD?

Erase the update file on your flash drive and load a new copy; the update process essentially renders the file useless.
post #6756 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlambo@gmail.co View Post

Attached is all I have on the Post Calibration report.

The chart is hard to read. D-Nice maintains that doing a good Kuro calibration is harder than it looks.
post #6757 of 10784 Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

yes but turn it off in the setup menu...room light sensor needs to be off or just do not plug it in.

Thanks!!!
post #6758 of 10784 Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Okay, now you've piqued my curiosity! Why would you use that as your "off" mode during the day? Or ever? Why not just turn it OFF in your macro and let it go into standby when it's not in use?

I do this to avoid a large number of on-standy cycles during the periods when I use the TV during the day or evening. It goes into standby (red light) at night.

I have found over the years (40 years or so playing with electronics) that this puts less stress on the system. However, since the screen will run down over time-best to turn that off. In general my amps and computers have worked for a very long following this mode (many decades-amps, two decades computers)

The video mute provdes for me the best way to handle the

"dinner" is ready call.

Joel
post #6759 of 10784 Old 08-05-2009, 07:26 PM

I am about to start the break-in on my 151 using the thumbdrive. I just want to make sure, there are 20 slides on the thumbdrive correct? Thanks for the assistance!!!
post #6760 of 10784 Old 08-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton3485 View Post

I am about to start the break-in on my 151 using the thumbdrive. I just want to make sure, there are 20 slides on the thumbdrive correct? Thanks for the assistance!!!

Yeah, something like that. 4 colors over 5 slides of varying shades. White, Red, Green, Blue.
post #6761 of 10784 Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman808 View Post

Yeah, something like that. 4 colors over 5 slides of varying shades. White, Red, Green, Blue.

Thanks, that is what I thought.
post #6762 of 10784 Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Hi, the family just bought a 151FD, and it's going to be delivered on Friday. I'm trying to learn more about breaking in the TV, so can someone point me to more information or elaborate about the break-in procedure. I know you use Evangelo2s break-in DVD for 150 hours using D-Nice's settings on the first page. So its ok to occasionally, watch other full screen content like HD and Blu-ray. But should channels with static images like ESPN or CNBCHD be avoided entirely because of the sports/stocks ticker? Is it ok to watch an entire movie? Is it safe for the 151 to be left on continuously for a day or more during the break-in process with the breakin-in DVD? Any info about those kinds of questions would be helpful.

Also, on a more general note whats the advantage of breaking-in the tv anyway? My understanding is it is to make image burn-in less likely during the life of the TV. Is this true, and are there any other reasons. Thanks

Sudhakar

EDIT: So I have done research and answered some of the questions i posed regarding static images on ESPN etc, and full screen content. But input/advice/guidance/opinions are still appreciated.
post #6763 of 10784 Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhakar2k View Post

Also, on a more general note whats the advantage of breaking-in the tv anyway? My understanding is it is to make image burn-in less likely during the life of the TV. Is this true, and are there any other reasons. Thanks

Sudhakar

Congrats on the new TV. The specific break-in procedure you describe is actually for one singular purpose- you intend to use D-Nice's posted settings. He recommends your panel go through the same process he used so that you can best replicate the results of his calibration on your TV. So, if you don't intend to use his settings (i.e., you'll use the default modes, adjust to your own tastes, or use other settings), or you plan to get your panel professionally calibrated, there is no advantage whatsoever in following that specific process. It was never meant for preventing or minimizing IR or burn-in, as D-Nice has stated many times.

On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence that these panels "settle in" over the first couple hundred hours or so. Some owners notice improved picture quality after these early hours, and many calibrators recommend that the panel have some minimum number of hours prior to calibration (usually somewhere in the 100-200 hr range).

So quite a few owners use the break-in images simply as a way to quickly, safely put some "mileage" on their new panels. In this case, it's perfectly okay to mix it up with all the regular TV viewing you want. Just take care not to have a preponderance of usage with static logos and black masking bars, and go with a common sense approach that mixes up different types of content and aspect ratios.
post #6764 of 10784 Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM

I've just run into this problem recently as I've changed my TV provider from Comcast to U-Verse.

The issue is U-Verse sends the signal out as 0-255 (RGB Full). Since I purchased my PRO-111fd, I've used D-Nice's break-in settings and Control Cal settings. The problem is U-Verse is crushing the blacks. If I change the HDMI Video to color-4 (RGB 0-255) I can see the detail. I've tried all devices in color-4 mode with all devices set to RGB (0-255/Full) in their setups: PS3, Xbox 360, AVR and BD player. When watching a BD on the BD player the black bars aren't as dark as the frame of the TV as I was used to using YCbCr. The BD player is set to RGB but it might be doing RGB 16-235. Everything else worked fine.

Now I have a couple of questions and options:

Questions
1) By changing HDMI Video to color-4 is it basically canceling out D-Nice's settings since his settings are for YCbCr?

2) Is there an option I can change in D-Nice's settings were I can leave the HDMI Video setting as Auto and change a different value somewhere else to prevent the black crush?

Options
1) Leave the HDMI Video set to Auto and use component for U-Verse.
2) Leave the HDMI Video set to Auto and use another HDMI input for U-Verse. I would have to calibrate that HDMI input as I had everything running through the receiver.

Maybe I'm all confused and don't know what I'm talking about. Hopefully some one can help me out.

TIA!

Adrian
post #6765 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

Here you go. Listed below are my recommended settings for others to use as they see fit. I use these on my Dec 2008 151. They start with D-Nice's calibrated ISF-Day settings from the beginning of this thread with the following changes made to our preferences: Contrast 38>42, Brightness 0>+2, Color +3>+6, Sharpness -15>0, Pure Cinema +2>+1 and Intelligent Mode 0>+1.

Heatwave--

Thank you for your comments and for posting your settings. I am a little confused about one detail. Do you have these settings in ISF-Day or ISF-Auto? I believe you state elsewhere that you do most of your viewing with ISF-Auto but the settings in the above post say ISF-Day. Thanks. Sorry if I am just missing something here.
post #6766 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maphiker View Post

Heatwave--

Thank you for your comments and for posting your settings. I am a little confused about one detail. Do you have these settings in ISF-Day or ISF-Auto? I believe you state elsewhere that you do most of your viewing with ISF-Auto but the settings in the above post say ISF-Day. Thanks. Sorry if I am just missing something here.

I keep d-nice's 151 Day settings (unchanged) in my ISF-Day mode. I then copied those settings to ISF-Auto and made the changes noted above. I also have the color sensor attached. I also have d-nice's night settings unchanged in my ISF-Night mode.

I think of d-nice's settings (both Day and Night) as my reference and then I make modifications from those settings in Auto to my personal preferences. By using ISF-Auto as "MY MODE", I can quickly go back and forth against D-nice's Day settings as a reference to see if the changes I'm making are improving the PQ. If you don't have some consistent reference to compare to you'll never know if the changes you're making in controlcal are making the picture better or worse.

I hope that explanation helps.

OPPO BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #6767 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

I keep d-nice's 151 Day settings (unchanged) in my ISF-Day mode. I then copied those settings to ISF-Auto and made the changes noted above. I also have the color sensor attached. I also have d-nice's night settings unchanged in my ISF-Night mode.

I think of d-nice's settings (both Day and Night) as my reference and then I make modifications from those settings in Auto to my personal preferences. By using ISF-Auto as "MY MODE", I can quickly go back and forth against D-nice's Day settings as a reference to see if the changes I'm making are improving the PQ. If you don't have some consistent reference to compare to you'll never know if the changes you're making in controlcal are making the picture better or worse.

I hope that explanation helps.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have my PRO-151 set up the same way, i.e. with "your settings" in ISF-Auto.

I have a comment/question. Because the settings are in ISF-Auto, the picture will change depending on the room lighting conditions. Thus, the comparison to D-Nice's settings will vary depending on lighting conditions. This may explain why some have commented that your settings are "darker" than D-Nice's ISF-Day settings. I have noticed this also in a dark room.

I don't mean this as a criticism in anyway. I am just commenting. And I wonder how you might respond. Thanks again.
post #6768 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maphiker View Post

Thanks for clarifying that. I have my PRO-151 set up the same way, i.e. with "your settings" in ISF-Auto.

I have a comment/question. Because the settings are in ISF-Auto, the picture will change depending on the room lighting conditions. Thus, the comparison to D-Nice's settings will vary depending on lighting conditions. This may explain why some have commented that your settings are "darker" than D-Nice's ISF-Day settings. I have noticed this also in a dark room.

I don't mean this as a criticism in anyway. I am just commenting. And I wonder how you might respond. Thanks again.

Not taken as a criticism. Your observation is accurate since ISF-Auto will adjust using the light sensor and the color sensor if its attached. Therefore under different lighting conditions it will produce a slightly different PQ. (I view that as a positive).

post #6769 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM

I just recently had the pleasure of having my Pioneer Elite Pro 151-FD calibrated by SierraMikeBravo (Shawn Byrne). wow, I could not be happier with the results.

Shawn was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I spent the entire time while he was calibrating asking him questions and getting advice on future components. After finishing the calibration, he fired up my blu-ray player and calibrated it to the set.

I would highly recommend Shawn to anyone out there thinking about getting their Elite's calibrated. The picture is just amazing. He got my "DE LEVEL" down to .04
post #6770 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Hey Heatwave, which Pure Cinema mode do you think is best to use with HDTV sources?
post #6771 of 10784 Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlambo@gmail.co View Post

Hey Heatwave, which Pure Cinema mode do you think is best to use with HDTV sources?

I actually did alot of side by side comparison with my son watching high speed motion in motocross racing. It also includes highspeed camera panning to keep up with the motin of the bikes. After an hour or so of comparion of the diffetent Pure Cinema modes it was clear....Standard mode was the best. None of the others were even close.

I watch all programming in Standard.

post #6772 of 10784 Old 08-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a PDP-5020 and I'm looking to calibrate or at least adjust it a bit better using ControlCal. I downloaded the software, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. I can't seem to change the profile in the software. File/open is greyed out. What are the steps to get it working properly?

Thanks!
post #6773 of 10784 Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Do you have a license key?
post #6774 of 10784 Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM

No I don't have a license key. Where can I get one?
post #6775 of 10784 Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knvs View Post

No I don't have a license key. Where can I get one?

You have to go to ControlCAL.com and buy one, using PayPal. Your panel doesn't have the ISF modes, does it?
post #6776 of 10784 Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:

You have to go to ControlCAL.com and buy one, using PayPal. Your panel doesn't have the ISF modes, does it?

No it doesn't Its the non-Elite model. I'm looking at ControlCAL website and wondering if I should buy one of the bundles that includes the color sensor. Do they come with pattern generators? How do they work exactly? I've used the Sencor units before so I'm not a newbe to calibrating, but I've never used one of these comsumer versions. TIA
post #6777 of 10784 Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
has anybody tried the following and received the same results

mine are in bold,props to jbrady3324 for his results in normal font

PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->Auto = Correct Blacks Correct or Grey Blacks
PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->RGB 0-235 = Correct Blacks Correct or Grey Blacks
PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Crushed blacks Crushed blacks
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->Auto = Crushed Blacks
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->RGB 0-255 = Pink Screen
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Pink Screen
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->Auto = Correct Blacks Crushed blacks
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->RGB 0-255 = Grey Blacks Pink screen
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Correct Blacks Pink screen
PS3->RGB/Limited + Kuro->Auto = Crushed Blacks
PS3->RGB/Limited + Kuro->RGB 0-255 = Correct or Grey Blacks
PS3->RGB/Limited + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Crushed Blacks

i would really like some feedback from some other persons. Thanks
post #6778 of 10784 Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No it doesn't Its the non-Elite model. I'm looking at ControlCAL website and wondering if I should buy one of the bundles that includes the color sensor. Do they come with pattern generators? How do they work exactly? I've used the Sencor units before so I'm not a newbe to calibrating, but I've never used one of these comsumer versions. TIA

I think you should contact turbe and he can tell you exactly what to expect with ControlCAL for your model.
post #6779 of 10784 Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I've used the Sencor units before so I'm not a newbe to calibrating, but I've never used one of these comsumer versions. TIA

Sencore has the Chroma 5 (though they don't use the term "Chroma")... Both the Chroma 5 and EyeOne Pro meters are still used by many Professionals though I don't think Sencore offers the EyeOne Pro. Of course, Sencore now uses a special version of CalMAN too..

There Sencore Pattern Generators are good though IMO the AccuPel HDG-4000 makes more sense $$$ for Pros..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #6780 of 10784 Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM

What Panels are these results from?

What's Super-White set to on the PS3 for each of these??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->Auto = Correct Blacks Correct or Grey Blacks
PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->RGB 0-235 = Correct Blacks Correct or Grey Blacks
PS3->RGB/Full + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Crushed blacks Crushed blacks
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->Auto = Crushed Blacks
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->RGB 0-255 = Pink Screen
PS3->YCC/Full + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Pink Screen
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->Auto = Correct Blacks Crushed blacks
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->RGB 0-255 = Grey Blacks Pink screen
PS3->YCC/Limited + Kuro->RGB 16-235 = Correct Blacks Pink screen
PS3->RGB/Limited + Kuro->Auto = Crushed Blacks