Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have 1 dtv receiver connected via HDMI and the other connected via the antenna in on the tv (i use it for pip).

i tried to make some setting for the one over antenna in - but gave up - i just use optimum for it. - looks fine for a secondary football game in SD.

i wish this tv had pip working for all inputs - i think i read that the 141 can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1 View Post

I'm using these settings for my Digital Sat over a crappy analog S-Video connection and they look pretty good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

They are reference white points. Old black and white films are best viewed with D55(5500 Kelvin color temperature). Current source material use D65 (6504 Kelvin color temperature). D75 is just a higher color temperature that is more pleasing to average "sports fans".

I just bought a 151. Am I going to have to change these setting everytime I want to watch something different
post #993 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarch7884 View Post

I just bought a 151. Am I going to have to change these setting everytime I want to watch something different

no you could simply have one a/v setting for movies and another for sports. the tools and a/v selection buttons on your remote are useful to quickly switch b/w settings. my self i prefer a d65 setting for all my viewing.
post #994 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post

yes - even though it was a july build - i think all the 151 have the green effect.

Ikeb, I have an HFPM (June build) and I can't really see green plus. I know a number of people who have the HFPM have said they have the green plus. For all I know I also have the green plus but maybe my eyes are not as sensitive to it as others. Is this a very suttle thing? Is there some thing to look for to help determine if I also have the green plus? I have been using D'Nice's before break in settings as I only have a little over 130 hours of break in dvd and full screen viewing. I plan on trying all your settings and will let you know my thoughts. D'Nice's pre break-in settings look pretty good to me.
Thanks,
Mike
post #995 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

the only way to tell is by looking at the screen after you have inserted the settings - you will notice that people's face will have a green tint to them and most whites will have a little green in them. its a little hard to tell -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Ikeb, I have an HFPM (June build) and I can't really see green plus. I know a number of people who have the HFPM have said they have the green plus. For all I know I also have the green plus but maybe my eyes are not as sensitive to it as others. Is this a very suttle thing? Is there some thing to look for to help determine if I also have the green plus? I have been using D'Nice's before break in settings as I only have a little over 130 hours of break in dvd and full screen viewing. I plan on trying all your settings and will let you know my thoughts. D'Nice's pre break-in settings look pretty good to me.
Thanks,
Mike

post #996 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

it is a pain in the butt - but, i set my system up to show dvds and blu-ray on hdmi 5 and dtv on hdmi 4.

hdmi 5 is set to my isf-auto
hdmi 4 is set to my isf-night (but i switch to sport for sports)

i wish i could tell optimum to use just d6500 and then i would leave it on optimum and forget the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarch7884 View Post

post #997 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 PM

How does sport look on movies (Blu-ray)?

Quote:

i prefer my isf night (comparable to performance) and auto (comparable to pure) but i prefer sport compared to my isf day. Sport just has more pop than i could muster up with isf day - i'm going to try upping the contrast a little more from -10 to maybe -5 or 0 and see how i like that on the isf day.

i specifically made all my settings come out to 39.5 FTL. Which, according to what i have read, is pretty much max for a plasma tv.

post #998 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

like a cheap LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans_hand_says View Post

How does sport look on movies (Blu-ray)?

post #999 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM

so far i've seen you post settings for performance (Blu-Ray and DTV), sports and pure - what do you watch the pure settings on?

Also, what settings would you suggest for PS3 games? They are on Blu Ray discs and some games are 720p and some 1080p.

Quote:

like a cheap LCD

post #1000 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

i use my isf-auto for blu-ray - they are really, really similar to Pure. So i suggest that you use pure for DVD's and Blu-Ray. And, performance for dtv. To me it seems like performance is a bit too bright for blu-ray but it does have a lot of punch.

games - i don't know - never have played any on a tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans_hand_says View Post

so far i've seen you post settings for performance (Blu-Ray and DTV), sports and pure - what do you watch the pure settings on?

Also, what settings would you suggest for PS3 games? They are on Blu Ray discs and some games are 720p and some 1080p.

post #1001 of 10822 Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

i'm interested in getting some feedback on my sport, performance, and pure settings for the 151.

Love the performance one - with a few tweaks!! Thanks ikeb!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1002 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the only way to tell is by looking at the screen after you have inserted the settings - you will notice that people's face will have a green tint to them and most whites will have a little green in them. its a little hard to tell -

You say after I insert the settings. I take it you mean D'Nice's Pure a/v mode pre break or his reference Pure a/v mode post break in settings. I assume your settings are for countering the plus green? As I mentioned I have been using d'Nice's settings with no evidence of plus green. I watched with your settings (Pure and Performance) and I found that your Pure settings were pretty good with a slight lean towards the red. This probably is because I don't see Green plus with D'Nice's settings and your settings are for Green plus. As far as your performance settings I thought they were softer with less color saturation than the default performance settings which is a good thing as the default setting for that a/v mode to me had way to much pop for my eyes. Your performance settings certainly looked better to me. Maybe a touch more color vibrancy might be better? I need to look at your Performance settings a little more though.
Thanks,
Mike
post #1003 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Love the performance one - with a few tweaks!! Thanks ikeb!!

Ddgtr, were your tweaks for adding a little more vibrancy to the colors? If so how did you accomplish that? I liked Ikeb's performance settings but to me they looked just a little washed out with the colors not as vibrant as i would like. Obviously to me the colors in the default Performance settings were over saturated
Thanks,
Mike
post #1004 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

what tv do you have?

i know what you mean by depth - but can you be a little more specific

does your tv have the green effect - these are specifically for tvs with the green effect and use HDMI.

I have the 151 but my set , accordingly to the H code, isn't a green bean set. I guess that's why I preferred D-Nice's setting as your settings weren't meant for my set.

What I meant by depth was that 3 dimensional look. I kinda lost that with your settings.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #1005 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ddgtr, were your tweaks for adding a little more vibrancy to the colors? If so how did you accomplish that? I liked Ikeb's performance settings but to me they looked just a little washed out with the colors not as vibrant as i would like. Obviously to me the colors in the default Performance settings were over saturated
Thanks,
Mike

Yeah, I know a lot of videophiles and purists will disagree with this, but once in a while I do like a little more vibrant picture. And I don't think it looks like an lcd, because even with these settings the 151 still rules...

Here is what I changed in ikeb's settings which by the way are great in themselves and gave me a good reference point. I also kept flipping back and forth between other modes and this (performance) just to see how much I deviate from the "norm", because the eye gets used to whatever picture adjustment you do and you might push it too far... Here are the changes only (start with ikeb's performance, and please note that I just used my eyes and no other professional equipment...):

Picture::
contrast: 30
color: 0
sharpness: -1

Pro Adjust::
Film Mode: Advanced

Picture Detail::
Enhancer Mode: 1

CTI: On

Color Space: 1

Noise Reduction::
3DNR: Low

That's it. I watched "Street Kings" in bluray last nite and I was blown away...

ikeb, sorry if I mutilated your settings, but these guys asked for them. I know you've been working hard to calibrate yours and come up with your settings. I'm also using your other ones, I found that sometimes I'm in the mood for a milder picture but with the action in Street Kings I really wanted something vibrant...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1006 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

I have the 151 but my set , accordingly to the H code, isn't a green bean set. I guess that's why I preferred D-Nice's setting as your settings weren't meant for my set.

What I meant by depth was that 3 dimensional look. I kinda lost that with your settings.

For a minute there I was thinking I was the only one with a non green plus dispay (mine is HFPM). I know the green plus displays are supposed to be only HEPM but there's been a number of people reporting green plus that are not HEPM. So Totalownership is your display not HEPM? I was just curious if there any HEPM dislays out there that are not green plus?
Thanks,
Mike
post #1007 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Yeah, I know a lot of videophiles and purists will disagree with this, but once in a while I do like a little more vibrant picture. And I don't think it looks like an lcd, because even with these settings the 151 still rules...

Here is what I changed in ikeb's settings which by the way are great in themselves and gave me a good reference point. I also kept flipping back and forth between other modes and this (performance) just to see how much I deviate from the "norm", because the eye gets used to whatever picture adjustment you do and you might push it too far... Here are the changes only (start with ikeb's performance, and please note that I just used my eyes and no other professional equipment...):

Picture::
contrast: 30
color: 0
sharpness: -1

Pro Adjust::
Film Mode: Advanced

Picture Detail::
Enhancer Mode: 1

CTI: On

Color Space: 1

Noise Reduction::
3DNR: Low

That's it. I watched "Street Kings" in bluray last nite and I was blown away...

ikeb, sorry if I mutilated your settings, but these guys asked for them. I know you've been working hard to calibrate yours and come up with your settings. I'm also using your other ones, I found that sometimes I'm in the mood for a milder picture but with the action in Street Kings I really wanted something vibrant...

Thanks!

Thanks, ddgtr I will give these a try and let you know how they work out for me. It looks like the biggest you made is going from Color Space 2 to Color Space 1. Do you have a non HEPM display?
Mike
post #1008 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Hi,

Can someone please help me?

I'm not sure how to use the break in DVD correctly.

Are you suppose to leave it on for 6 days non stop or is it possible to have it on during the night and during the day watch T.V. How would the hours be counted ?

Thanks.
post #1009 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

tonight i'm going to redo movie mode to 6500k and color space 1 - just to see what it looks like as compared to my 5080.

and i'm going to to do an isf - day on hdmi 5 at 7500k and cs2 - just to compare it with hdmi 4 isf-day at 7500k and cs1

will report on it later on this week.

now that i have the tools - i can just about do anything

btw - for even more punch on the settings i'v posted - you can raise color by 1 and up sharpness by 5 or 10

you should not raise contrast (you can lower it). You can raise brightness by 1 and you could turn off one of the settings (can't remember its name)

if you change the color space - you will screw up the grey scale - i suggest that you don't do that.

the above are some options for tweaking depending on taste.
post #1010 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM

personally i liked color space 1 better, although the color is not accurate, but the saturation level is just right. Anyone who has a green plus set can try this, use the standard mode and put brightness to around -15 and watch some talk show or movie with it and compare it to the pure mode D-Nice posted or ikeb posted you'll find something interesting. I liked it a lot when i use the default "standard" setting with brightness changed to -15(it was 0, but it's too bright). I'm interested to see ikeb's new movie setting especially it's done in color space 1. looking forward to that
post #1011 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSunwear View Post

Hi,

Can someone please help me?

I'm not sure how to use the break in DVD correctly.

Are you suppose to leave it on for 6 days non stop or is it possible to have it on during the night and during the day watch T.V. How would the hours be counted ?

Thanks.

Most of us have watched TV during the break-in. Be sure to watch everything in full screen w/ no stationary images for prolonged periods. Also, make sure to take the set out of D-Nice's break-in settings while you're watching TV.

Just track the hours manually.
post #1012 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

For a minute there I was thinking I was the only one with a non green plus dispay (mine is HFPM). I know the green plus displays are supposed to be only HEPM but there's been a number of people reporting green plus that are not HEPM. So Totalownership is your display not HEPM? I was just curious if there any HEPM dislays out there that are not green plus?
Thanks,
Mike

Mine is a HGPM Jul 08 build.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #1013 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a dumb question to ask:

...isn't the whole idea of buying very costly video devices, such as the KUROs indeed are, to display video images as accurately as possible given the set standards that exists for both SD and HD reproduction?
I mean, other than the game (of which personally I could care less since I don't play video games) and PC modes, all other modes should accurately conform (in relative terms since absolute perfection doesn't exist in the universe) to known standards (i.e., correct color temperature, correct gamma, etc., etc., etc.), so am wondering what all the fuzz is about playing around with all sort of calibration settings for this or that video mode...different settings for games, sports, movies...ad nauseum.

I purchased the Elite Pro-151FD with the expectation of acquiring a display device capable of providing me with relatively high reproduction accuracy of films (primarily; that's why we rely on real film to judge and directly compare video transfers at all possible, although it has become increasingly more difficult to do so) on video from both SD and HD sources (HD-DVD, Blu Ray, S-VHS, DVD, OTA and satellite transmissions [am interested in Verizon's FIOS "service," but their So. Cal. HD program line up truly sucks at this time], laserdisc and, yes, even the occasional playback of VHS and Super-Beta tapes).
This means to me that the set should be calibrated to provide those exact set standards--or as close as possible given the variances that are bound to exist from one unit to another--in order to provide the reproduction accuracy am chasing after.

Am I totally alone in the pursuit of video reproduction accuracy, or is it an exercise in sheer futility?...

-THTS
post #1014 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J Manrique View Post

Am I totally alone in the pursuit of video reproduction accuracy, or is it an exercise in sheer futility?...

-THTS

I and a lot of other people on this forum would agree with you but there are also a lot of people who believe they have the right to make a device they paid a lot of money for look like they think it ought to look and to hell with the standards. There's even a third camp that says I'll accept standards for watching movies but I want that football game to have more "pop" or whatever. How you feel about this depends on which camp you are in. These differences are the kinds of things that wars can get started over.

post #1015 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There's even a third camp that says I'll accept standards for watching movies but I want that football game to have more "pop" or whatever.

Standards are great and necessary, however it's also understood that ISF calibration standards were biased toward film style presentation to begin with.

Some things are visually pleasing which might not be strictly accurate for all content. People have been shown to prefer brighter pictures for instance over dimmer ones in general. Similarly with a bit of excess saturation.

Even though often more bright than strict accuracy would dictate, LCD sales have been helped by that natural human perception.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #1016 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I and a lot of other people on this forum would agree with you but there are also a lot of people who believe they have the right to make a device they paid a lot of money for look like they think it ought to look and to hell with the standards. There's even a third camp that says I'll accept standards for watching movies but I want that football game to have more "pop" or whatever. How you feel about this depends on which camp you are in. These differences are the kinds of things that wars can get started over.

That's exactly how I see it. Pure may be accurate but I don't wanna use it while watching sport or watching T.V with my wife.

So far Optimum is doing a great job until sometbody post something that I really like...
post #1017 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

the first time i had a tv set professionally calibrated - the calibrator told me that i would hate the picture, but to give it a couple of weeks - he was right - it takes time to get used to the duller picture.

i was at the staples center not too long ago and really looked hard at the basketball court - i noticed that i actually had my tv calibrated properly for the game at d6500 and the brighter picture as per d7500 or higher was not correct. the lcd's all around staples didn't even come close to the real thing - they were way too bright.

but i have to admit - a brighter picture is more pleasing for sports even though it does not reflect the real picture as at the stadium
post #1018 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

the other thing i wanted to mention was that if you watch a college football game on tv - you will notice that the quality of the picture depends on the camera. its amazing to me that networks don't have their cameras calibrated so that they all show the same quality of picture. the great exception is NFL football on cbs and fox - the quality seems to be superb.
post #1019 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Standards are great and necessary, however it's also understood that ISF calibration standards were biased toward film style presentation to begin with.

This is not entirely true since many broadcasters and other content providers to the networks also use the D6500 standard as well. It is not strictly oriented toward film. Film is more likely to have been transferred to DVD or other sources using the standards, though. Even live broadcasting can be to the D6500 standard and based on the ATSC color points.

post #1020 of 10822 Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, ddgtr I will give these a try and let you know how they work out for me. It looks like the biggest you made is going from Color Space 2 to Color Space 1. Do you have a non HEPM display?
Mike

No, mine IS a HEPM and so far I haven't noticed the plus green issue. I do have to admit I haven't watched a lot of content but so far it looks normal.

Frank has a good point about the quest for perfection and color accuracy. I totally agree and respect that. I do however am in the "third camp" where I like different settings for certain content. Like when I watch a Pixar movie I want more of a vibrant picture vs. a regular movie vs a b&w and so forth...

Also, what I'm noticing is that the "pop" in the elite is really not the same as in the lcds. Maybe it's just me... The elite is more color accurate even after tinkering with the settings to make it more vibrant. That wasn't the case with my lcd...

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page