The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10891 of 10904 Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Member
 
OShag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Saprano, I did bring my Green level back to the original 548 setting. The overall color balance of my TV looks good. If you've not already done so, I would try unplugging the color sensor from your tv. If the color sensor is plugged in then it is on all the time I believe and this is regardless of picture mode. Just go into the Optimum Performance dashboard and you will see it is always set to on unless unplugged. I have found the picture to be brighter and with better contrast without the color sensor.

BTW, took a look at the LG 65" OLED 4K tv at Best Buy recently. That might just be my next tv.

Last edited by OShag; 06-30-2015 at 08:16 AM.
OShag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10892 of 10904 Old 06-30-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OShag View Post
Saprano, I did bring my Green level back to the original 548 setting. The overall color balance of my TV looks good. If you've not already done so, I would try unplugging the color sensor from your tv. If the color sensor is plugged in then it is on all the time I believe and this is regardless of picture mode. Just go into the Optimum Performance dashboard and you will see it is always set to on unless unplugged. I have found the picture to be brighter and with better contrast without the color sensor.

BTW, took a look at the LG 65" OLED 4K tv at Best Buy recently. That might just be my next tv.
Why did you change it back? Did you find the same results i did? Are you sure the color sensor is always on? I thought only when you use Optimum mode. That would make no sense if it's on all the time.

I don't really like the look of OLED's. They look like LCD's with 0 blacks. I prefer the organic texure of Plasmas. They also have other problems like motion resolution. The tech still needs some work. I'm fine with my kuro.
mpedris, dwa247 and rcapprotti like this.

home theater addict
saprano is online now  
post #10893 of 10904 Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
makaveddie81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I don't really like the look of OLED's. They look like LCD's with 0 blacks. I prefer the organic texure of Plasmas.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
makaveddie81 is offline  
post #10894 of 10904 Old 06-30-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I don't really like the look of OLED's. They look like LCD's with 0 blacks. I prefer the organic texure of Plasmas. They also have other problems like motion resolution. The tech still needs some work. I'm fine with my kuro.

That's interesting, as there is something unique about the organic texture and color of glowing phosphors. Part of the issue with OLED is it's only white OLED with color filters, and not true RGB OLED, which I suspect would look more organic like plasma.
all clear and makaveddie81 like this.
RWetmore is offline  
post #10895 of 10904 Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
That's interesting, as there is something unique about the organic texture and color of glowing phosphors. Part of the issue with OLED is it's only white OLED with color filters, and not true RGB OLED, which I suspect would look more organic like plasma.
That's why i want to see what Sony and Panasonic does with OLED. Though with manufacturers all about cheapness these days, i wonder if they would even use the RGB method.

I found an interesting point to add to yours-

Quote:
Let us think about this for a minute: A light source (white OLED rather than LEDs) that still uses filters at front to produce the colors? Sounds familiar? What kind of “emissive OLED” is that when the colored light is actually not emitted by a pixel at front? WOLED appears to be another “transmissive” technology with local dimming but using OLED as light source at the sub-pixel level, rather than edge, top, or multi-zone LEDs. So regardless if the WOLED may not look as emissive as RGB OLED it controls black at the pixel level and the image looks stunning, and for most consumers, that is what it counts, a great image.
http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...etter-oled.php

His last point i don't agree with. A great picture is nice, but not when it looks artificial. Other than that yeah, he's right about LG's OLED being similar to LCD's.

I have no intention of buying OLED right now. Last night i was watching Tears of the Sun and it's just remarkable how realistic it looks on the kuro. It's seriously like having a 35mm projector behind me. There was so many mutiple layers of detail. Why should i give up my kuro again? Why are people selling theirs?

You want to see the superiority of Plasmas, put on a movie shot on film without a Digital Intermediate. Watch that same movie on an LCD or OLED. They just don't contain that film quality.
mpedris, all clear and dwa247 like this.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 07-01-2015 at 09:11 AM.
saprano is online now  
post #10896 of 10904 Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I don't own a last generation KURO, but if I did I certainly wouldn't be looking to go buy OLED at this point. I would just keep and continue to enjoy the amazing KURO.
RWetmore is offline  
post #10897 of 10904 Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
qwknuf6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
That's why i want to see what Sony and Panasonic does with OLED. Though with manufacturers all about cheapness these days, i wonder if they would even use the RGB method.

I found an interesting point to add to yours-

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...etter-oled.php

His last point i don't agree with. A great picture is nice, but not when it looks artificial. Other than that yeah, he's right about LG's OLED being similar to LCD's.

I have no intention of buying OLED right now. Last night i was watching Tears of the Sun and it's just remarkable how realistic it looks on the kuro. It's seriously like having a 35mm projector behind me. There was so many mutiple layers of detail. Why should i give up my kuro again? Why are people selling theirs?

You want to see the superiority of Plasmas, put on a movie shot on film without a Digital Intermediate. Watch that same movie on an LCD or OLED. They just don't contain that film quality.
The (only) reason I would sell my Pioneers would be for a larger display , I need a 75" to 85" for my small theater room , I can see 4k also as an upgrade , but would be very happy with a 75" 1080 p 101 Pioneer Plasma
qwknuf6 is offline  
post #10898 of 10904 Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 PM
Member
 
OShag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Why did you change it back? Did you find the same results i did? Are you sure the color sensor is always on? I thought only when you use Optimum mode. That would make no sense if it's on all the time.

I don't really like the look of OLED's. They look like LCD's with 0 blacks. I prefer the organic texure of Plasmas. They also have other problems like motion resolution. The tech still needs some work. I'm fine with my kuro.
I am not 100% sure the color sensor is always on. It just seems to me that the picture is brighter without the color sensor plugged in. I just thought I would suggest it as it worked for me. I changed my G level back because that is what the original setting was. One of these days I plan to have it professionally calibrated. I know it is not truly accurate as it is.

I haven't seen the OLED TV calibrated so cannot speak to your comment on plasma being more organic. Hopefuly I will get to see one properly calibrated soon then I can form a meaningful judgement.
OShag is offline  
post #10899 of 10904 Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Member
 
OShag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey Saprano,

I haven't watched Tears of the Sun yet. I will watch it.
OShag is offline  
post #10900 of 10904 Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
all clear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Why should i give up my kuro again? Why are people selling theirs?
Most of the 50" Kuros these days doesnt have the same low blacklevels as they used to have when new.
i have seen horror examples of how bad blacklevels can be with some kuros that has over 10K hours on them.
they have lost most of its original contrast ratio.

The WOW factor isnt there anymore so its not hard to understand why some sells their old red tinted LCD level blacks Kuros.
i would do it too.
The 50"KRPs and the 60" Kuros seems to age better with less rise in blacklevel over time.

As for the organic look on the Kuros i totally agree!
The oleds still have that lcd artificial look to them.
everything from motion to textures and colors looks more natural on the Kuros.
Just like in real life.

Textures/Details/Microcontrast/Near black details are higher on the Kuros.
thats it.
one example here from a zoomed in picture comparing the oled and the 500A.
(look closely at the white of the eye and you can also see the pixelgrid on the oled.
its not visible at the same distance on the Kuro= better pixel structure)

why do you want a 4K tv when you have a Kuro ?

I compared my old 880W oled to my KRP-500A and decided to sell the OLED.
Im disappointed now that i didnt have the 500M to compare instead.
This specific 500M blows everything away with ease.
even my old 500A

I would say the performance and visual step is greater then it was from my first LX5090 to the 500A.

I have said it before
there are Kuros and then there are the 500Ms.
saprano likes this.

Main Display - Reseted Pioneer KRP-500M (UK Build)
Second Display - Pioneer KRP-500A
Previous Display - LG 880W OLED

Last edited by all clear; Yesterday at 08:19 PM.
all clear is offline  
post #10901 of 10904 Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OShag View Post
I am not 100% sure the color sensor is always on. It just seems to me that the picture is brighter without the color sensor plugged in. I just thought I would suggest it as it worked for me. I changed my G level back because that is what the original setting was. One of these days I plan to have it professionally calibrated. I know it is not truly accurate as it is.

I haven't seen the OLED TV calibrated so cannot speak to your comment on plasma being more organic. Hopefuly I will get to see one properly calibrated soon then I can form a meaningful judgement.
You were right! I removed the color sensor and the picture looks soooooo much better. Color is normal now with no green push. White is pure white and bright and the picture is sharper. I feel stupid because i had it plugged in for 3 years now and never realised it affected ALL picture modes. I thought it was only for Optimum

Now i know why this always happened-

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

It seems the color sensor was not in use when i'm in the menu. That's why it looked so different. It was suppose to look like that. Doing it now without the color sensor it doesn't happen anymore.

Why hasn't any calibrators like D-Nice told anyone not to use the sensor? It doesn't make the picture accurate. With my TV in my room it make it worse. And why would Pioneer design this for all picture modes? It would makes sense for it to be the way i thought all these years.....for Optimum mode only.

To make sure none of this was a placebo i added and removed the color sensor while i had a movie playing. When i plugged it in i saw in real time the picture slowly changing to what i had been use to. It got dimmer, whites turned darker with a green tint, faces tuned to a green tint. When i removed it the picture immediately had a natural color tone to it. WTF man all this time i didn't even know

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.
saprano is online now  
post #10902 of 10904 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I don't own a last generation KURO, but if I did I certainly wouldn't be looking to go buy OLED at this point. I would just keep and continue to enjoy the amazing KURO.

Amen!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zoro is offline  
post #10903 of 10904 Old Today, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
craigyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
You were right! I removed the color sensor and the picture looks soooooo much better. Color is normal now with no green push. White is pure white and bright and the picture is sharper. I feel stupid because i had it plugged in for 3 years now and never realised it affected ALL picture modes. I thought it was only for Optimum

Now i know why this always happened-

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

It seems the color sensor was not in use when i'm in the menu. That's why it looked so different. It was suppose to look like that. Doing it now without the color sensor it doesn't happen anymore.

Why hasn't any calibrators like D-Nice told anyone not to use the sensor? It doesn't make the picture accurate. With my TV in my room it make it worse. And why would Pioneer design this for all picture modes? It would makes sense for it to be the way i thought all these years.....for Optimum mode only.

To make sure none of this was a placebo i added and removed the color sensor while i had a movie playing. When i plugged it in i saw in real time the picture slowly changing to what i had been use to. It got dimmer, whites turned darker with a green tint, faces tuned to a green tint. When i removed it the picture immediately had a natural color tone to it. WTF man all this time i didn't even know
thought it was a well known fact that the sensor should stay in the box because its a waste of time

craigyboy is online now  
post #10904 of 10904 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post
thought it was a well known fact that the sensor should stay in the box because its a waste of time
I've seen a few say they don't use it, but I've never read anybody saying it harms the picture. Maby because like me everyone thought the sensor was specifically for Optimum mode. It boggles my mind why Pioneer would make it universal for all modes.

The PQ over the years was still good. All my viewings and comments on PQ still stand. It just that sometimes the picture would take on a green push. It was real obvious watching broadcast. Blurays less so. Sometimes it would show up other times it wouldn't. Never knew all this was because of the sensor.

home theater addict
saprano is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off