What is "game mode" exactly? And how are Plasmas for gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thinking about getting a plasma TV, but am wondering about gaming on it (since I probably do 40-50% gaming).

I've tried to find out what this "game mode" feature is, but have read different descriptions. One said it just reduced brightness/contrast while another said it reduced video processing to improve response time?

Any gamers here that use a plasma and can tell me how it is for gaming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Me too. I am still breaking in a 50" pz80. I understand game mode will reduce lag but still unconfirmed answers on IR or BI. However in Game mode the pixel orbiter is set to auto and will not let you change or set the options (greyed out)?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Game mode is useless. It doesn't reduce processing time or anything. All it does is amps up the contrast and brightness, so the game appears more vibrant during game play. It is usually best to leave game mode off.

Also, plasmas are fine for gaming. Don't worry about burn-in anymore. That is pretty much a thing of the past. anyone that tells you differently obviously doesn't know anything about plasma TV's.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Sadly, skeelo is right. Game mode really doesn't do more than crank the picture settings to make everything look more "vivid" and "cartoonish". I would just leave it off.

Patience has its rewards.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

"Game mode" is nothing more than the marketing department not wanting the lcd guys to have too many more bullet point features than they have. Never mind that unlike "game modes" on lcd's and dlp's......it doesn't really do anything because nothing is needed to make plasma free of ghosting and motion blur. If you plan on doing quite a lot of gaming, I recommend getting a 1080p Panasonic.....I have last years model and do quite a bit of 360/PS3 gaming with no issues and little or no IR.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hm I guess it depends on the TV because on my Kuro 5080HD enabling Game mode actually reduces the contrast but does increase color output, I think it looks nicer vs. the Standard / Movie modes when it comes to videogames, also the "Game Control Preference" option (Reduces input lag) is only available when using Game mode and yes it definately works.

Also plasma's are awesome for gaming Ive never seen my PS3 / 360 / Wii look this good and im coming from an XBR960 CRT.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Hm I guess it depends on the TV because on my Kuro 5080HD enabling Game mode actually reduces the contrast but does increase color output, I think it looks nicer vs. the Standard / Movie modes when it comes to videogames, also the "Game Control Preference" option (Reduces input lag) is only available when using Game mode and yes it definately works.

Also plasma's are awesome for gaming Ive never seen my PS3 / 360 / Wii look this good and im coming from an XBR960 CRT.

What I meant is that "it doesn't work" the same way as game modes on lcd's/dlp's. The lcd guys have such things as BFI (black frame insertion), 120HZ and other tricks to try and reduce motion blur and ghosting which isn't an issue with plasma.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page