home theater help for newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Three key questions for someone setting up their entertainment room...

I have been looking at plasmas and, needless to say, the Pioneer Elite Kuros are magnificent. I have about decided on the 151FD for my room. My question is whether there is any need to wait and see the Panasonic 58PZ850 when it is released this fall? I'm sure there will be a significant price difference, but I am really into the best picture quality I can get. I have also heard that the 150FD might have a better picture than the 151FD when compared side-by-side. Is this true? I have the ability to get a 150FD if that is the case, but I just thought the newer the better.

I have also decided on Klipsch speakers for the sound portion and was wondering if setting up for 7.1 in a room that is 17' wide in which I will be sitting about 4' from the back wall would be useful, or unnecessary? My receiver (Integra 8.8) supports 7.1, even though the movies/games I have do not have that option.

Also, how does one use all 7 speakers in a 7.1 setup when the source (DVD, for example) is only in 5.1? I wouldn't want two speakers to stay silent the entire time, but I don't want to send them a generic signal that doesn't really create the effects intended by the source. I am new at this, so this may be a simple answer or a very complicated one.

Please don't blaze me....I have tried to read, but the info is very dense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 PM

As far as I know, the new elites are worth the extra $ because they have a deeper blacks as well as more accurate colors...I'm sure there are more reasons but I just can't think of any on the top of my head...if you can afford the 9g elite...go for it!..I'm not an expert but this is just what I've gathered from the Elite threads. As far as your questions about the speakers and so forth, I would take those questions to a thread in the Audio Area. You can jump to that forum on the top left part of this page. You would get a lot more help there than you would in the Plasma thread. I hope that helps...

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

I'm gonna leave the TV question alone, since I haven't had a chance to check out this year's Elite model...

I'll help ya with the speaker question though....

A room that is 17' wide sounds like a prime candidate for a 7.1 system. Even though DVDs are encoded in 5.1, the receiver will still produce sound for the back left, and back right speakers. It will not actually be the master audio track that was included on the DVD, but rather the sound will be matrixed. I have a 7.1 system, and the extra surround I get from those 2 back speakers sounds just fine. In fact, I prefer it more than a regular 5.1 setup, because it feels like I'm even more surrounded in sound! Hope this helps
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 PM

I'll also chime in on the speaker question. That would be a great room for 7.1. I have a receiver that is THX certified and I always leave it on THX Ultra 2 which turns 5.1 into 7.1 and it sounds awesome.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM

+1

Everything worked out great thanks to good ol' Bender!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page