The Official Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well In canada 58 thpz850u is out, But still no 800u in a 58" I ve been told a couple more weeks.

hate waiting, but i dont want the 850u and dont want to pay 500 bucks more lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm ready to plunge, but can someone ease my mind on the 24p issue? Without getting too technical, what I'd like to know is can I set the 58pz800 to give me an overall rocking dvd picture? I'll be running an Oppo 980H through hdmi, and if I set the 24p to 60Hz instead of 48Hz, as CNet recommends for the 50pz800, will I still be getting a better dvd picture than my 7-yr-old Mitsubishi rptv through component cables? Thanks....
post #273 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 403
post #274 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

A few questions:

Is the firmware upgradable on these sets? (via the SD card slot or USB?) And if so, does Panasonic have a reputation for issuing updates/fixes to their plasma lineups?

Are there any specs on overscan? Any overscan problems with 720p content, etc?

Any reviews on the sound quality of the internal speakers? (yeah, I know... but some flat panel set speakers are awful
post #275 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Firmware is updateable thru USB I believe, these updates are released when needed. These sets do have nice speakers attached.
post #276 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Yea, I'm sorta holding off since I think that the 2009's will be very good sets. I think that panny will fix the 24p and will consume less energy, and have better blacks. But then I also think that pio will have 100% blacks and user picture adjust with no *buzz* in their sets. Last Jan. I was going to get a DLP and held off, boy I sure am glad I saved that money. If I bought a TV tomorrow, in 2010 I would be wanting the next best set. I think that the 2009 models will be the sets to get for me. Then in 5 years we will have the quad HD, so I will be wanting a 3840x2160 set then. I am looking for a TV that will make me happy and not worry about upgrading for 5 years.

And I think that 2009 will be the year for blu-ray, with players hitting $125-200. I remember in 2000 when I bought my first DVD player for $299.

I for one dont really care about getting the absolute BEST picture forever since Im sure the 2009 sets wont be perfect. Im just very picky about a few things. I want excellent black/shadow detail with accurate gamma. I also want a flawless 24p/48 mode, deep blacks and pure whites. Color accuracy doesnt bother me within reason but motion blur is unacceptable.
post #277 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM

I just ordered a 58" 800U for delivery this week. I may need to press a small table into service and I need to know the exact "footprint" of the stand. I know the depth in 16.2 inches but I need to know the width (of the stand only, not of the tv). Can someone please provide the width of the stand?
post #278 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 PM

Is it possible to disable the glowing greenish / blue light that appears at the bottom of the tv?
post #279 of 6172 Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Is this set over all brighter than the 6020?
post #280 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 AM

What Blu-Ray Player are people here using for their 24P mode playback?

A quick search looked like all the Sony BR players can do 24P and I think I saw a Sharp brand player that boasted 24P ability.

I'm curious to try and link specific players + 800U TV = flicker free 24P (and/or link to which players will cause the flicker). This may also lead to learning which players, although aren't able to eliminate the flicker, may reduce/lessen how noticable it is (e.g. a player or players which might somehow compensate/counteract the flicker effect to some degree)

Maybe if Panny will not firmware resolve the issue, we might possible find a player (or players) which help address the issue (and/or may lead to BR manufactures designing their players to address the issue).

There could also be an issue with BR player setting + TV settings + HDMI port used, which result in a flicker free or reduced flicker in 24P mode too.

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #281 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

I don't have one yet, but when I purchase one I'll probably look hard at the PS3.
post #282 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

I'm using Panasonic BD-30 without any issues thus far in 24p/48Hz playback mode.
post #283 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post

I'm using Panasonic BD-30 without any issues thus far in 24p/48Hz playback mode.

Awesome. It would make sense that Panasonic would have tested their 24P with their own BR player(s).

Almost every post complaining about 24P uses a PS3 that I've seen, so gandolf67, you may want to reconsider, if planning on 24P mode [unless you're wanting the gaming ability too I guess]

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
post #284 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misotv View Post

I just ordered a 58" 800U for delivery this week. I may need to press a small table into service and I need to know the exact "footprint" of the stand. I know the depth in 16.2 inches but I need to know the width (of the stand only, not of the tv). Can someone please provide the width of the stand?

it is about 16" x 29 1/2"
post #285 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM

thanks to Dan from Plasma Concepts, my 58PZ800 came in promptly and in perfect condition!

Will be a couple of days before Charter can complete the HD install, my house and yard aren't real satellite friendly based on trees and layout, etc. If the cable hookup is less than satisfactory I will find a way to go satellite.
post #286 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #287 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post

Is this set over all brighter than the 6020?

No, I wouldn't call it a big difference either

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #288 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald C View Post

A few questions:

Is the firmware upgradable on these sets? (via the SD card slot or USB?) And if so, does Panasonic have a reputation for issuing updates/fixes to their plasma lineups?

Are there any specs on overscan? Any overscan problems with 720p content, etc?

Any reviews on the sound quality of the internal speakers? (yeah, I know... but some flat panel set speakers are awful

No issues with overscan using DirecTV as the source for 720p/1080i HD content. HD size 2 delivers all the pixels in the picture. Verified that with Avia and the HDNet Test Pattern. Some 480i material can show a line of noise at the very top or very left side of the display.
post #289 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM

After comparing side by side with the 6020 and 151 (for about 2 1/2 hours, playing BR, Sd and cable HD), both my wife and I agree that the panny is brighter. It was my wife that pointed out that the whites on the panny look more white and that the pios had yellowier whites. The pios did have darker blacks but only marginally so. Just our opinion but my wife is a true stickler for detail.
post #290 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcortese View Post

After comparing side by side with the 6020 and 151 (for about 2 1/2 hours, playing BR, Sd and cable HD), both my wife and I agree that the panny is brighter. It was my wife that pointed out that the whites on the panny look more white and that the pios had yellowier whites. The pios did have darker blacks but only marginally so. Just our opinion but my wife is a true stickler for detail.

It also depends on where you look at them and what the store uses for settings. But either way that is why I always say go look and the one that looks the best to you get it
post #291 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There you have it, pros and cons for everything. One thing is for sure the panny is much, much less........
post #292 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM

is the panny 800u brighter than the 5080 720p pioneer?
post #293 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Guys, I am as surprised as anyone on how good the panny is. I have been on this forum for a long time researching plasma tvs and am a pioneer guy (already own an elite pro 53hd). We want to move the existing elite to our downstairs rec room and replace it in our family room with a high end plasma. I had come to the conclusion that a pioneer was the way to go as money isn't really an issue for me. I wanted the best and it was going to be either the 6020 or 151. But the final decision as to which one was going to be up to my wife. The issue was the location of the speakers, on the bottom on the 6020 and the sides on the 151. So we go this high end store to see the pios and purchase a tv (we had already seen them at a local Best Buy) so we had only to make a final decision. We were ready to buy. So we walk into this store and on the left they have a big panny display with the 58 hanging on the wall. My wife says what are those and we go look at them but I tell her that we are here to make a deal on a pioneer. A salesman comes up to us and tells me that the pios are in a special room and we go there. What we find in this darkened room is a 6020, a 151 and a 58pz800u right next to each other showing the same content. We spend the next 2 1/2 hours comparing them all. We had the remotes so we could go through the menus and make some of the changes I have read about on this forum. We had the salesman go from br to hd cable to sd. We saw movies, a baseball game and various tv shows. We look for flicker on the br movies but don't see any. At the conclusion of all this she turns to me and says she wants the panny and I had to agree with her. It's not just the money since that wasn't the issue. The panny is an awesome flat panel. The panny, when compared to the pios is in some ways even better (brighter whites). It may not have the deep blacks of the pios, but we couldn't detect that much of a difference. Especially not the grand difference that the 6020 would have been (or two in the case of the 151). The bottom line is that we went in to buy a pioneer and walked out with the panny. Are the pios better, maybe, but if better, only marginally so. It is our belief that anyone considering a pioneer should also look at the panny.
post #294 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 PM

Wow, first of all thanks, I just found this thread after purchasing a TH-58pz800u yesterday. It's great to have a group of knowledgeable people to compare experiences. Spent the last few minutes reading through the 10 pages.

My first set from yesterday had a 1.5 inch scratch on the panel so I returned it this morning. New one looks great and I am impressed with this set and have spent most of the day adjusting settings, watching favorite movies, etc.

Question for all the owners: CNET certainly expounds upon the greatness of the THX setting. Initially it "feels" a little dark but after awhile movies appear to be correct. What settings are you using for various content? After a few hours, I think THX will be the movie setting and standard will be for sports and other TV programs. Also, what are you using for picture, brightness, color, and color temp? Here are the picture setting from CNET (I would post a link but can't yet):

--Picture menu
Picture mode: THX
Picture: +80
Brightness: +52
Color: +48
Tint: +0
Sharpness: +50
Color temp: Warm
Color mgmt: Off
x.v.Color: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off

--Advanced picture menu
Video N.R.: Off
3D Y/C filter: [grayed out]
Color matrix: [grayed out]
MPEG NR: [grayed out]
Black level: Light
24p Direct in: [grayed out]
HD size: Size 2
post #295 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lay-z-boy View Post

is the panny 800u brighter than the 5080 720p pioneer?

I think it is...
post #296 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Guys, I am as surprised as anyone on how good the panny is. I have been on this forum for a long time researching plasma tvs and am a pioneer guy (already own an elite pro 53hd). We want to move the existing elite to our downstairs rec room and replace it in our family room with a high end plasma. I had come to the conclusion that a pioneer was the way to go as money isn't really an issue for me. I wanted the best and it was going to be either the 6020 or 151. But the final decision as to which one was going to be up to my wife. The issue was the location of the speakers, on the bottom on the 6020 and the sides on the 151. So we go this high end store to see the pios and purchase a tv (we had already seen them at a local Best Buy) so we had only to make a final decision. We were ready to buy. So we walk into this store and on the left they have a big panny display with the 58 hanging on the wall. My wife says what are those and we go look at them but I tell her that we are here to make a deal on a pioneer. A salesman comes up to us and tells me that the pios are in a special room and we go there. What we find in this darkened room is a 6020, a 151 and a 58pz800u right next to each other showing the same content. We spend the next 2 1/2 hours comparing them all. We had the remotes so we could go through the menus and make some of the changes I have read about on this forum. We had the salesman go from br to hd cable to sd. We saw movies, a baseball game and various tv shows. We look for flicker on the br movies but don't see any. At the conclusion of all this she turns to me and says she wants the panny and I had to agree with her. It's not just the money since that wasn't the issue. The panny is an awesome flat panel. The panny, when compared to the pios is in some ways even better (brighter whites). It may not have the deep blacks of the pios, but we couldn't detect that much of a difference. Especially not the grand difference that the 6020 would have been (or two in the case of the 151). The bottom line is that we went in to buy a pioneer and walked out with the panny. Are the pios better, maybe, but if better, only marginally so. It is our belief that anyone considering a pioneer should also look at the panny.

Thanks for your sharing your shopping experience. Reading your post helped me make my final decision..........I just placed my order with Chris. This forum has been extremely helpful and filled with great information.

So Chris......can I expect it for NFL kickoff this weekend...........PLEASE
post #297 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #298 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Congrats. If your eyes and wallet tell you that there isn't a difference to go to the 6020FD, the 58PZ800 will make an excellent display for years to come. I would enjoy.

Chris
post #299 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM

I appreciate the info on this tv. I am down to the Panasonic TH-58PZ800U and the LG 60 PG60. The Panasonic is less expensive. Has anyone been able to see these 2 side by side?
post #300 of 6172 Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page