The Official Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUWildcat View Post

Can anyone generally think of a repair that would be needed on this TV after 1 year that would cost significantly more than $550 to make the EW worthwhile?

Another option to consider is purchasing with one of the many Visa/Mastercards that come with a flavor of extended warranty coverage at no additional cost. Typically, the deal only extends a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty to 2 years, but that alone provides some comfort, especially when it's free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Many thanks to Chris from Cleveland Plasma. I bought the Panasonic 58PZ800U on 8/27 and it arrived on 9/03 in perfect condition. I think the delay in shipping is due to the holiday. Can't believe it's sitting on a truck from Pennsylvania all the way to San Diego. Again, thank you Chris for all of your advice and the smooth transaction. And YES, the Omnimount UCL-X definitely can hold the weight of that TV extending 28 inches out. I'm still amazed at that.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM

I just picked 58pz800 in Brampton, ON last night and wow what a great TV. The only thing that annoys a little is the plastic trim around the TV. In the daytime it creates a little shadow depending on which way the light comes in but I could live with that.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Axle- View Post

Sorry, could you expand on that?
(ie says who? what's the risk? etc)

I have a van and imagine it should fit fine but I still have to measure (anyone have the exact height of the box) to see if it will fit.

My plan B was to take it out of the box and place it on some fluffy blankets but your post has me worried since I'd also be travelling about 45 min (highway) to get it.

Do not know details on what could go wrong if laid flat. It says stand upright on the box in several places. Also, 2 sales people at BB told me it could cause damage to the set if laid flat. Box measures approx. 62"w X 41"h X 15"d.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugz View Post

Do not know details on what could go wrong if laid flat. It says stand upright on the box in several places. Also, 2 sales people at BB told me it could cause damage to the set if laid flat. Box measures approx. 62"w X 41"h X 15"d.

Yeah, Chris filled me in on the risks a couple of posts back
"... During transportation laying any flat panel flat is a bad idea. The screens are held in on the corners in most cases so as a person drives and hits bumps and such the unit will flex. It will flex in the center, get enough flex and you will be the proud owner of a cracked flat panel. Even the boxes all have support on the corners, not in the center. Same thing will happen if you leave it in the box. Keep her upright, play it safe..."

Thanks for the box measurements, when I get it, it should fit... I hope ...
Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald C View Post

Another option to consider is purchasing with one of the many Visa/Mastercards that come with a flavor of extended warranty coverage at no additional cost. Typically, the deal only extends a 1 yr manufacturer's warranty to 2 years, but that alone provides some comfort, especially when it's free!

Thanks for the advice. I thought of that, except that this is a warranty exchange so I'm actually not "purchasing" it.

I did notice through our EPP site at work that I may be able to get the Panny 3 year extended warranty for 299, which i may bite at. The reliability is so good according to Consumer Reports that I may just roll the dice, especially since i'm not paying for the TV technically.

Why can't things be easy?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM

So I'm slated to get this thing delivered on Saturday.

Can someone who has it measure for me the dimensions of the base of the stand, specifically the distance from the front of the stand to the front of the TV? It looks to be about 6-8 inches based on pictures, but I can't really tell.

I've got a funky entertainment unit and this TV will need to sit a little in front of the side pillars and top bridge. I'm going to have to pull out the support which is crazy heavy (solid wood and glass) so I'm hoping to pull it out enough before the delivery guys come and lay this 140lb sucker on top. So I need that dimension to see how far I need to pull out the base without having the stand stick out over the edge.

Hope I get this in the morning so I can drool over college football Saturday afternoon!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Liked: 11
16.2 (409 mm) is total, not sure if that helps
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASherrick View Post

Chris & erpa,I have also narrowed the field to the Panny TH-58PZ800U and the Samsun LN55A950. I would love to hear some comparison information. Thanks!
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by erpa View Post

chris (cleveland)
i will be purchasing from you in the nov time frame...at the risk of comments from people who will never be in my home, can you comment on this set compared to the 55a950? these are the my 2 strongest canidates...
thank you so much

With Samsung raising the price on the LN55A950 the answer seems quite clear now don't you both agree?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM

What's the total weight of the boxed TV? 100lbs?

"There's no place like home." [Wizard of Oz - 1939]
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUWildcat View Post

So I'm slated to get this thing delivered on Saturday.

Can someone who has it measure for me the dimensions of the base of the stand, specifically the distance from the front of the stand to the front of the TV? It looks to be about 6-8 inches based on pictures, but I can't really tell.

I've got a funky entertainment unit and this TV will need to sit a little in front of the side pillars and top bridge. I'm going to have to pull out the support which is crazy heavy (solid wood and glass) so I'm hoping to pull it out enough before the delivery guys come and lay this 140lb sucker on top. So I need that dimension to see how far I need to pull out the base without having the stand stick out over the edge.

Hope I get this in the morning so I can drool over college football Saturday afternoon!

Thanks in advance!

6" from front of stand to front of TV. Stand is 29.5" wide. Depth of stand 16"
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seascape View Post

What's the total weight of the boxed TV? 100lbs?

According to Specs listed in book, it weighs 136.9 lbs with base. Total boxed weight I would add another 10 - 15 lbs. It is heavy. Need 2 guys or 1 guy and a strong gal.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:

6" from front of stand to front of TV. Stand is 29.5" wide. Depth of stand 16"

Awesome. Thanks for fast reply!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Is it possible that the 58 pz850 will come with the single pane of glass? Does anyone have a 58 pz850 yet?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Went back and reviewed entire thread. Anyone have more comments on THX mode vs Vivid and standard? On my set, Vivid is to bright and colors appear washed out. THX is much darker but colors appear better and picture is sharper. Any thoughts from owners? Am I alone in thinking THX is to dark? What say you all?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 PM

Chris,
Got my set.
Love it.
Thanks again.

As far as THX. I set it to that and bump the brightness slightly. Picture is awesome.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanks, that says a lot. THX not all its cracked up to be?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't own an 800 yet, the WAF prevents this at present. I do anticipate getting the 50" at some point, if I come into a small windfall I'll splurge on the 58." My feeling on THX is that is does seem too dark but I've only seen it at BB and that's certainly not the best place to judge. I've owned a 42px60u for two and a half years and initially I thought the "Cinema" mode was so dim I couldn't imagine ever using this setting. "Vivid" was way too bright and "Standard" seemed about right. As the panel aged the picture quality changed somewhat for the better. At this point I use a tweaked "Standard" mode for daytime viewing with the blinds up and a tweaked "Cinema" setting for viewing at night or with the blinds closed in the daytime. PQ is clearly better now than it was when the set was new.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks, that says a lot. THX not all its cracked up to be?

never said that.
i set it to THX, bumped the brightness up by 3 (from like 50 to 52-3)
pic looks awesome to me, but what do I know.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Went back and reviewed entire thread. Anyone have more comments on THX mode vs Vivid and standard? On my set, Vivid is to bright and colors appear washed out. THX is much darker but colors appear better and picture is sharper. Any thoughts from owners? Am I alone in thinking THX is to dark? What say you all?

Just received mine yesterday, and I do agree with you THX seems extremely dark to me, standard does as well. I haven't had much time to play with it but I used custom mode and adjusted to my taste.

My only complaint so far is SD looks allot worse on this set compared to last my Panasonic set from last year 58" 600U. I'm guessing because I'm throwing a SD signal to a higher resolution set it looks worse. The 600U was only 720p. Does that thinking make sense? I will be calling Chris and possibly Panasonic today to question this.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:54 AM

Question for you all.........

Should I set my HD receiver (Directv) to 1080i for all my viewing or should I have the receiver change the resolution for each channel depending on it's feed?? (TV is 800U)
Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf67 View Post

Question for you all.........

Should I set my HD receiver (Directv) to 1080i for all my viewing or should I have the receiver change the resolution for each channel depending on it's feed?? (TV is 800U)

I did a bit of testing on this. The TV itself seems to scale things better than my HR21-700. So, I have the HR21-700 set on Native Mode and let it feed the 1080i/720p/480i signal to the TV for it to handle. Yes, this does mean that channel changes between channels of different resolutions do take a bit longer, but it's just TV. I'm not in a hurry! Good things come to those that wait.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandolf67 View Post

Just received mine yesterday, and I do agree with you THX seems extremely dark to me, standard does as well. I haven't had much time to play with it but I used custom mode and adjusted to my taste.

My only complaint so far is SD looks allot worse on this set compared to last my Panasonic set from last year 58" 600U. I'm guessing because I'm throwing a SD signal to a higher resolution set it looks worse. The 600U was only 720p. Does that thinking make sense? I will be calling Chris and possibly Panasonic today to question this.

If you think THX mode looks dark, then bump the brightness up as previously suggested. Also make sure that black level is set to Light. I have bumped Brightness up to +57 on my set. Looks plenty bright in my room and the black level is good. I posted my current settings earlier in this thread.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I thought it was dark. I played a little while and never found the right settings, I sold my unit before I could fine tune her.

That's not good, but you did have it in a bright room, could that be why you thought it was dark? (I keep my old 42px75 at +12 contrast and 0 brightness) and it is plenty bright in all but a direct sunlight situation. And was there any other reason that you sold the set, and just what did you replace it with?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Messing with the THX setting is defeating the whole point of this TV (and one that you paid several hundred $$$ for more than likely). Yes, THX looks dark and rather unimpressive in a brightly lit room. But when it is night this setting is spot on perfect. I would suggest NOT messing with the presets for this picture mode but rather writing down the settings and then adjusting your "custom" picture setting to match your daylight viewing taste.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:25 AM

I just received my 58" 800U last night and it looks great right out of the box. HD looked amazing and SD was surprisingly good. A few earlier posts mentioned some detailed settings on THX mode. My question is: are there different settings that are optimal for SD signals vs HD? I'm using a HD DVR box from Comcast, but there are still a number of SD only channels. Also, I do not yet have a blu-ray DVD player - so same question for regular DVD players - what are the optimal settings and are they different than the ones for HD signals?

Regarding THX being too dark - at night I thought THX looked plenty punchy - great blacks and bright colors. I have not seen the set yet during the day. To me the colors are much more natural looking in THX mode than in vivid but I guess it's personal taste. Also the picture sharpness definitely seemed lower in vivid or game mode.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM

from the Panasonic manual:

THX = cinema mode to reproduce image quality movie makers intended to provide cinematic experience at home

Standard = normal viewing conditions with subdued lighting

Vivid = enhanced contrast and sharpness in well-lit rooms
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Although I don't have an 800U, it is my understanding that its THX setting adjusts the picture to the Holy Grail movie setting of D65. If this is so, then what I have to say here may be of interest.

I bought a Pioneer Kuro PDP-6020FD last month, mostly because the 58 inch 800U wasn't available yet. Through the various Kuro threads here, I found the settings for my 6020 that were very close to the D65 standard. At first, I thought it was a little dark but as I got used to it, I saw how remarkably good it was, particularly when watching darkly lit scenes in movies. Now, I use those same settings for all my HD viewing, even sports in a normally lighted room in the daytime.

The point of all of this is to recommend that you live with the THX setting for a few days and see what you think after that. If your experience turns out to be anything like mine, you will soon prefer it to all others for HD. That said, SD programming does seem to benefit from settings that are a bit more vivid than the movie standard.

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread