The Official Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 206 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 6177 Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what you are saying is that I m too now a owner of a set with black level issues. Great. So much for a worry free quality product.
By the way what are considering upgrading to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6177 Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Either a Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 or Panasonic TC-P55VT30. I almost want to skip the Panasonic out of spite because they screwed all of us who bought the TH-58PZ800U.

I used this site to get more info on the best TVs out right now.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/?tag=
post #6153 of 6177 Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 PM

I just bought two more sets for the house. An X3 and St30. Now I am concerned.
Also I have a Geeksquad Warranty. Wondering if that would be a way to resolve my issue with the 800u.
post #6154 of 6177 Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Wasn't this an issue with all the panny palsmas at the time? I thought I read that all panels increase power over time to account for the panel wearing out and losing it's brightness. What caused the issue with panasonic is that they stepped up the brightness at a certain # of hours (I think it was 2000) instead of doing it gradually like everyone else. Everyone started noticing this at the same time and it became a big issue.

Again, this is what I remember taking from the controversy, I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm that they still don't do this in their panels?
post #6155 of 6177 Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

new2this08: Did you recently have a firmware update on anything? I'm just wondering if something changed the way it is handling colors and is now clipping blacks. Also, check your cable connections.
post #6156 of 6177 Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2rcn4fun View Post

well i got my 800 up and going yesterday and wow, what a pic. i put the samasung 55c6500 led next to it and it just is not fair, the panny i just better in everyway, i have the set turned down for breaking and even with the black level on light it still looks great, i will be looking for the black level loss but i have been told it cannot be seem by a untrained eye so time will tell, i cannot believe how good this set looks and it like 2 or more generations old, wow

Yes the pic the panny displays (when set corectly) is wow. Mine came by way of $1k to a liquidator over year ago and am still way satisfied. In at least one review where they log 1000's of tv's it came in #2 tv of all time at a +58 size range just under the pionere kuro and I believe it cause I had seen a used kuro just an hour prior. I do believe brightness could be issue for those in brighter south facing rooms or those addicted to bright blue/white settings of retail store environments but that's not me. After some small sm adjustments to what's been recommended on thread and avs calibration disking the set has been great day or night. THX is the only mode able to display gamma correctly with a professional calibration from what I remember so that is what I use for layman sm calibrating. Black issue/topic is exagerated imho and is/but/is based on those going from hour one to 2000 and their seeing the abrubt difference and expectations of it staying as hour one. In buying used with many thousand hours I have not been biased that way. The pz800u is a keeper and still holds it's own fine against brand new stuff. If some like the 120+ refresh of new stuff that makes stuff look like a video game all I can say they can have it and good day to them..Wouldn't turn nose up at a new/brighter set though if it's brightness is actually set to correct warmth so don't take this the wrong way..Just saying it is a keep and can hold it's own..
post #6157 of 6177 Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post

new2this08: Did you recently have a firmware update on anything? I'm just wondering if something changed the way it is handling colors and is now clipping blacks. Also, check your cable connections.

No I have never done a firmware update on this set. I will check cables tomorrow and see if this is possibly causing it.
post #6158 of 6177 Old 12-20-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone know if this is a 10, or 12 bit panel?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #6159 of 6177 Old 12-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm911 View Post

Yes the pic the panny displays (when set corectly) is wow. Mine came by way of $1k to a liquidator over year ago and am still way satisfied. In at least one review where they log 1000's of tv's it came in #2 tv of all time at a +58 size range just under the pionere kuro and I believe it cause I had seen a used kuro just an hour prior. I do believe brightness could be issue for those in brighter south facing rooms or those addicted to bright blue/white settings of retail store environments but that's not me. After some small sm adjustments to what's been recommended on thread and avs calibration disking the set has been great day or night. THX is the only mode able to display gamma correctly with a professional calibration from what I remember so that is what I use for layman sm calibrating. Black issue/topic is exagerated imho and is/but/is based on those going from hour one to 2000 and their seeing the abrubt difference and expectations of it staying as hour one. In buying used with many thousand hours I have not been biased that way. The pz800u is a keeper and still holds it's own fine against brand new stuff. If some like the 120+ refresh of new stuff that makes stuff look like a video game all I can say they can have it and good day to them..Wouldn't turn nose up at a new/brighter set though if it's brightness is actually set to correct warmth so don't take this the wrong way..Just saying it is a keep and can hold it's own..

Did you get a professional 3-4 hour calibration done on this set? I have thought about possibly going with a ISF home theater professional calibration opposed to the Geek Squad one I received back in 2009.
post #6160 of 6177 Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

I did mine myself.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243358

I think next time I will hire someone. It's a lot of work when you don't know what you are doing.
post #6161 of 6177 Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Im selling my 58 pz800u and I was wondering what price I should list it for? Thanks for all the help I havent been on the forum for a while. If this is the wrong part of the forum I appoligize. Just push me in the right direction.
post #6162 of 6177 Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM

ha good luck on selling it without taking a bath. I've seen 60" panasonic plasmas for ~1300. so you might get ~ 800 for it.

Kind of stings when we paid $3000 just 3 years ago. I saw one in Houston on craigslist sell pretty quick for 700 so you might be able to squeeze 800 depending on your market.
post #6163 of 6177 Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 PM

Hello
I also have 58pz800u
Does anyone know how to enter service mode?
I want to adjust some parameter.
thank you
post #6164 of 6177 Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 AM

post #6165 of 6177 Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all, I mostly spend my time in the audio section but wandered over here after just having a calibration done. I was pretty impressed at first but after watching some blu-rays and some more HD TV any scene that is kind of dark has absolutely no detail and is very hard to see even when the room is completely dark. They started with custom mode to do the calibration and changed Black Level to Dark instead of light which is what I think is causing the problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
post #6166 of 6177 Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post

Hello all, I mostly spend my time in the audio section but wandered over here after just having a calibration done. I was pretty impressed at first but after watching some blu-rays and some more HD TV any scene that is kind of dark has absolutely no detail and is very hard to see even when the room is completely dark. They started with custom mode to do the calibration and changed Black Level to Dark instead of light which is what I think is causing the problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Was the calibrator able to get your gamma to 2.2? I have owned this plasma for over three years now and I have only had a Best Buy calibration done, but the dark scenes have also been my biggest complaint with this TV. Overall, the picture quality and colors look great for being three years old compared to 2012 TVs but the detail is just horrible in dark scenes. My suspicion is that this set isn't capable of the kind of detail we are looking for in dark black scenes. I have a feeling TVs today can better show the detail that we are looking for.
post #6167 of 6177 Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread, but we had a power surge over the weekend and my set is acting up now. It wont display any picture through HDMI. The onscreen menus work and display fine, I just get nothing through any of the HDMI ports on back. Im trying to run though my options before I bring this set in to get looked at (it weighs a ton and Im not look forward to lugging it around).

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? I heard maybe the main board or the HDMI input board. I also heard I should try upgrading the firmware. Has there ever been a firmware update to this set? and if so, where can I grab it?

Thanks
post #6168 of 6177 Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone use a Roku with this TV?

I have an old roku 1 box feeding my receiver via fiber optic because my even older receiver has no HDMI. If I were to get a Roku 2 (which has only HDMI, no s/pdif) feed the TV through HDMI, and then run fiber optic from the TV's output to the receiver, would I still get 5.1 channel sound? Or would the TV's output screw something up and give me just 2.0 sound or no sound?

I'm asking because when I try this method with the existing Roku 1, I got NO sound whatsoever through the receiver. Then when I remove the s/pdif cable from the TV output and plug it into the Roku's s/pdif output, the 5.1 sound magically returns to my receiver.

Soooo.... anyone here running a Roku 2 or 3 box through HDMI to this TV, then running fiber optic s/pdif from the TV output to the surround receiver and getting 5.1 channel sound? Any particular audio settings I should use on the TV, Roku, or receiver?

Thanks!

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #6169 of 6177 Old 04-08-2014, 06:10 PM

Robert did you figure out your Roku question ... I have the same issue with my Panny dumbing it down to 2 ch

Tx
post #6170 of 6177 Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it says somewhere in the manual, the optical out does 5.1 only from the TV's built-in tuner. All other sources going into the TV come out the optical jack as 2.0. frown.gif

post #6171 of 6177 Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny you should ask now, since not two days ago I replaced that old Roku with a new Amazon Fire TV (complete with its own optical output). In addition to doing Amazon in 5.1 like the old Roku did, it also does Netflix in 5.1 (Woo hoo, the Roku only did Netflix in 2.0)!

Highly recommended if you have Amazon Prime or if you buy/rent a lot of digital movies/TV from Amazon, and if you don't care too much about the little channels on the Roku (Movie Vault, Cowboy Classics, etc). Those obscure Roku channels (along with one of the big ones: Vudu) won't be on the Fire TV, at least not yet.

post #6172 of 6177 Old 06-13-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Official Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Owner's Discussion Thread

Post deleted

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.

Last edited by Fanboyz; 06-13-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: delete
post #6173 of 6177 Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My TH-58PZ800U was delivered in December of 2008, purchased from Costco for $2500. I calibrated it myself, the settings I ended up with are somewhere in this long topic.

I have had no problems of any kind and have not needed to readjust anything. I had heard, as mentioned by others, that plasma TVs would need to be readjusted because the picture would fade over the years. I have not seen that and mine still looks as good as the day I completed the calibration.
Robert Simandl likes this.
post #6174 of 6177 Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
My TH-58PZ800U was delivered in December of 2008, purchased from Costco for $2500. I calibrated it myself, the settings I ended up with are somewhere in this long topic.

I have had no problems of any kind and have not needed to readjust anything. I had heard, as mentioned by others, that plasma TVs would need to be readjusted because the picture would fade over the years. I have not seen that and mine still looks as good as the day I completed the calibration.
Ditto!

post #6175 of 6177 Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Ditto 2!
post #6176 of 6177 Old 12-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
After years of owning this set and being happy with my tweaked settings, I decided to buy a SpectraCal C3 Colorimeter that comes along with CalMAN Tutorial to FINALLY do my own calibration.

I'm happy with the results but want to tweak further. Where I'm faltering is a few things:

1.) After completing the 2-step greyscale calibration, the 10-step greyscale calibration shows me way off on most values. My understanding is because the 10-step calibration combines gamma readings along with it. But this Panasonic doesn't have a gamma control....advice / suggestions?

2.) Further to #1 , as it showed that there was too much R/G/B in the image, I conducted the experiment to cut all colors and re-balance as necessary, except this resulted in an exceptionally dim image (THX was already dim to begin with), so I reverted back to my original calibration values (from #1 ). Thoughts?

If I leave the gamma too high, what is the consequence?

Note: I tried searching the thread but there is a tremendous amount of posts to catch up on since I last wrote, especially on the topic of calibration. Forgive me if this has been covered before.

post #6177 of 6177 Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If anyone still checks this thread - I need analog audio to my AVR to get sound out to Zone 2. Digital signals will not pass to other zones. Is there anything I need to do to get the analog audio out to work? I don't seem to get anything. Right now I have 2 HDMI connections 'in' and just RCA jacks 'out'.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread