post #271 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

IF what you say is true, then Pioneer should withdraw this panel! Imagine buying Runcos with dead pixels and smearng etc. Or for that matter Fujitsus when they were in the thick of it

I would suspect that all the panels I inspected today could not be claimed on warranty. One dead subpixel (green in one case, blue and red in the other cases) were only noticeable from a few feet with solid colors. The buzzing was the same on all panels. We tested it in a completely silent room and you could "detect it" from 20-30 feet away, but it was really loud from 0-5 feet away. For some reason it really did not bother me (maybe because I expected it). The salesperson actually said it sounded really loud to him as well. The non-uniformity in the solid colors was terrible on only one of the panels (big blotch in the left centre). Like Nambit, this is what bothered me the most. I could even see it with the power off Hand picked panels my a#$ !!

Note: This is the first time inspecting a Kuro (I've only owned an old ED panny before this) and maybe I was too discerning. It is hard to compare results with problems reported on this board. Maybe what I saw/heard today was fairly benign relatively speaking. But my whole point is that the problems are still there if you look hard enough. I think I'm willing to live with the buzz problem but not the uniformity issues. And since I paid for the inspection process I'll wait for no dead pixels as well. So for now, I took nothing home.

Cheers

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

I would suspect that all the panels I inspected today could not be claimed on warranty. One dead subpixel (green in one case, blue and red in the other cases) were only noticeable from a few feet with solid colors. The buzzing was the same on all panels. We tested it in a completely silent room and you could "detect it" from 20-30 feet away, but it was really loud from 0-5 feet away. For some reason it really did not bother me (maybe because I expected it). The salesperson actually said it sounded really loud to him as well. The non-uniformity in the solid colors was terrible on only one of the panels (big blotch in the left centre). Like Nambit, this is what bothered me the most. I could even see it with the power off Hand picked panels my a#$ !!

Note: This is the first time inspecting a Kuro (I've only owned an old ED panny before this) and maybe I was too discerning. It is hard to compare results with problems reported on this board. Maybe what I saw/heard today was fairly benign relatively speaking. But my whole point is that the problems are still there if you look hard enough. I think I'm willing to live with the buzz problem but not the uniformity issues. And since I paid for the inspection process I'll wait for no dead pixels as well. So for now, I took nothing home.

Cheers

I think you made the right choice. You also make some strong points. Pioneer not only needs to stand behind their brand and claims, but be even more supportive and criticle when releasing something like the Signature with the claims they made.

You are right you would never see this in Runco or Fujitsu...or at least I would question the retailer and may even ask to speak to the manufactures rep directly if thier product did not relfect thier claims.

Maybe I don know what to look for. I know for a fact my buzzing issue is slight to none. To the best of my abilit I can not find dead pixals and I have seen them before on other displays so I know what to look for, and I do not see blotching unless I just dont know what to look for in any case I am happy

I honestly find it hard to believe I was just "lucky" when you notice the issue after seeing mulitple displays. Can you ask your dealer to have the Pioneer rep present to question? Does you dealer carry other plasma brands and did you hear and see any of the same things on those?
post #273 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I honestly find it hard to believe I was just "lucky" when you notice the issue after seeing mulitple displays. Can you ask your dealer to have the Pioneer rep present to question? Does you dealer carry other plasma brands and did you hear and see any of the same things on those?

I would like to take the high road and suggest that this may just be me being way too discerning or possibly just bad luck on my part. It could be that the very slight buzz you hear is the exact same buzz I hear except that I was in a differnt environment and really oversensitized to hear it. I'll be honest and say that on one of the panels it took me quite a while to find the dead subpixel (looking from 12 inches). But once I pointed it out you could see it all the time from a good distance. My dealer also said that he has never ever looked at a panel so closely in the manner that I did. He also sells panasonic and Samsung I think but in different rooms that were not very quiet or dark.

post #274 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to take the high road and suggest that this may just be me being way too discerning or possibly just bad luck on my part. It could be that the very slight buzz you hear is the exact same buzz I hear except that I was in a differnt environment and really oversensitized to hear it. I'll be honest and say that on one of the panels it took me quite a while to find the dead subpixel (looking from 12 inches). But once I pointed it out you could see it all the time from a good distance. My dealer also said that he has never ever looked at a panel so closely in the manner that I did. He also sells panasonic and Samsung I think but in different rooms that were not very quiet or dark.

I am pretty pick too...and you should be. There is no high or low road to take ...just the reality road. My Panasonic and Fujitsu both had a slight buzz when showing bright white screens. My kuro is no different. My sound meter could not pick it up from 5+ feet at all. That is about as subjective as you can get.

I will say that I am not in a total sound free controlled environment. I live in the city and outside my window is a heli port, trains and boats. Its not very laud but I suppose it gives somewhat of an ambient noise. This weekend I will close ALL my windows which I never do to make it totally silent and pull out my digital sound meter.

Just out of curiousity..out of the blotching (which goed with time accordin to many), dead pixals and buzzing which can you live with and which cant you live with? What did you dealer say when you left with nothing?
post #275 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Vancouver and others here with 141,

It seems from my comments that you have become concerned about your displays that you have already started to enjoy. That was not my intent. I just wanted to point out my experience that maybe suggests the 141 stream may not totally be free of defects. I would advise you to ignore me and just enjoy your displays as IMO they are the best on the market. You have already done your inspections and found them to be perfect so just sit back and enjoy

Cheers

post #276 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

I only hear a slight buzz from about 2 feet away when the screen is showing 100% white with the break in images.......

Originally you reported no buzz at all. Has the buzz increased or has it been this way from the start?

Thanks.

post #277 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What did you dealer say when you left with nothing?

Can't post that info, check PM.

post #278 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

Jesus Christ.

I guess I might was well just forget about Pioneer entirely then. I have a feeling there's going to be an empty spot on my wall for a while. Maybe I'll invest the TV money into something with some real quality control, like Chinese toothpaste.

I have a feeling if I get the 141 and it's a dead-pixel'd, blotchy, buzzing mess, I'll be stuck with it and I'll have a hard time convincing Ultimate to take it back after all this.

Put things in perspective with all of this please. Very very few people have issues and of those, most get resolved. All plasmas buzz to some degree. All fixed pixel devices (LCDs & Plasmas) can suffer from dead/stuck pixels, but most don't.

So it's important to put things in perspective. Between Fujitsu and Pioneer, I've had something like 6 different plasmas and I never had one dead or stuck pixel. They all buzzed, but in all cases this could only be heard by walking right up to the screen. At normal viewing distances there was no issue. Hell, I've had CRTs that buzzed! Flourescent lighting fixtures buzz. The new squiggly 'energy saving' bulbs buzz. Even bees buzz!
post #279 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Put things in perspective with all of this please. Very very few people have issues and of those, most get resolved. All plasmas buzz to some degree. All fixed pixel devices (LCDs & Plasmas) can suffer from dead/stuck pixels, but most don't.

So it's important to put things in perspective. Between Fujitsu and Pioneer, I've had something like 6 different plasmas and I never had one dead or stuck pixel. They all buzzed, but in all cases this could only be heard by walking right up to the screen. At normal viewing distances there was no issue. Hell, I've had CRTs that buzzed! Flourescent lighting fixtures buzz. The new squiggly 'energy saving' bulbs buzz. Even bees buzz!

My CRT is an incredibly loud buzzer (30 feet easily) but I've really gotten used to it. Through my experience today I'm also thinking that being highly oversensitized may contribute to the variability of reported issues. On the other hand, while all the panels I inspected had some uniformity issues, one in particular was brutal. So there is some definite QC variances.

post #280 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There is some confusion, at least by me, that the PROMOUNT 300 series may not fit... There are several Promount 300 mounts. someone suggested that the 400 model may be needed?

http://www.promounts.com/ua-pro300-l...ount_m-21.html

Mine is still leaning against the wall
post #281 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM

No worries here... My 141 is golden, and getting even better as the hours click off.

No buzz, dead pixel, blotches, funny smells, dandruff, or body odor.
post #282 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vancouver and others here with 141,

It seems from my comments that you have become concerned about your displays that you have already started to enjoy. That was not my intent. I just wanted to point out my experience that maybe suggests the 141 stream may not totally be free of defects. I would advise you to ignore me and just enjoy your displays as IMO they are the best on the market. You have already done your inspections and found them to be perfect so just sit back and enjoy

Cheers

not with me at all! im 100% happy with mine. I just double checked mine because it seemed that each one you looked at had issues (and im not saying they didnt). i reconfirmed that in my eyes its perfect.
post #283 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Originally you report no buzz at all. Has the buzz increased or has it been this way from the start?

Thanks.

Here it is.

When I put the display up and put regular viewing material on I put my ear RIGHT NEXT to the display in the top left and right corner and as well the bottom right and left corner and heard nothing.

Day later when I put the break in images through I decided to put my ear by the screen again when an all white image was showing because that is when the most power is being used and I heard a very slight buzz. As I posted in the past I am from the camp that believes all plasmas have some buzz ( both my fujitsu and panasonic had some buzz). I posted nothing about it becuase it was and is an none issue

I hope that clears things up because the issue of "buzzing displays" is not the purpose of this thread I would hope that any owner who posts in this thread is an owner who picked a 141 with out a buzz which is not any higher then any other plasma. Anyone who settles for anything else is making a mistake IMO.
post #284 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Very well put
post #285 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:

NICE!

Are you hooking it up to a network?

Yes, the 141 has issued an IP, but the router is not getting a link light!

There are 3 ethernet connections in the box behind the panel.......I just wonder if someone forgot to plug one in...........damn, I wanted to play!

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #286 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolair View Post

Yes, the 141 has issued an IP, but the router is not getting a link light!

There are 3 ethernet connections in the box behind the panel.......I just wonder if someone forgot to plug one in...........damn, I wanted to play!

John

Read the update I put on my first post. Ill be online tomorrow to give you a hand as best I can. Do you know someone who does computer networking?
post #287 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Read the update I put on my first post. Ill be online tomorrow to give you a hand as best I can. Do you know someone who does computer networking?

I could do it for you, but I'm a long way from Canada.
post #288 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

... I soon noticed that it was radiating very little or no heat. This while in stock Pure mode watching Democratic Convention. My 5010 was a veritable space heater, and I was never too happy about that. Once into break-in mode, it is now putting off some heat, though still not near 5010 under normal non break-in settings. ...

Ooh, I'm getting very excited about the low heat dissipation reports. I previously (prior to the Panasonic outsourcing report) had wondered about waiting for the 10g panel since it would likely have significantly lower power usage ratings and lower heat dissipation than the 9g's but now my mind is being put at ease. My HT/living room got unbearably hot on hot summer days with everything closed up and all my amps going and watching a 45" CRT RPTV with no air conditioning. It sounds like those days are over with this new monitor. Thanks for the heat reports!

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #289 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Put things in perspective with all of this please. Very very few people have issues and of those, most get resolved.

Perhaps, but what would your perspective be if you'd spent the same $6500 as everyone else, and been one of those "very very few" whose problems haven't been resolved? What if you'd been dealing with it for months and the manufacturer of said device basically told you to blow it out your ass?

Having seen 3 151's, all that buzzed loudly, 2 with multiple dead pixels, and one with a nasty blotch in the color filter (in addition to dozens of similar reports here on AVS), I personally believe Pioneer couldn't have done enthusiasts a greater disservice than releasing a set with such phenomenal picture quality yet such unbelievably sub-par QC and customer support.

It would be so incredibly easy for me to just walk away from these sets (and certainly Pioneer as a brand) if I wasn't so frustrated by how great the picture is, and how great the set COULD BE if it didn't have other nagging problems.

That's my perspective. Until I get WHAT I PAID FOR from Pioneer, I can't see it changing much.
post #290 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Here it is.

When I put the display up and put regular viewing material on I put my ear RIGHT NEXT to the display in the top left and right corner and as well the bottom right and left corner and heard nothing.

Day later when I put the break in images through I decided to put my ear by the screen again when an all white image was showing because that is when the most power is being used and I heard a very slight buzz. As I posted in the past I am from the camp that believes all plasmas have some buzz ( both my fujitsu and panasonic had some buzz). I posted nothing about it becuase it was and is an none issue

I hope that clears things up because the issue of "buzzing displays" is not the purpose of this thread I would hope that any owner who posts in this thread is an owner who picked a 141 with out a buzz which is not any higher then any other plasma. Anyone who settles for anything else is making a mistake IMO.

Just to hopefully put this to rest, it is clear the displays can emit 1 or 2 distinctly different buzzes. The buzz I expect every single one to emit is the faint one from the "power supply" (in quotes because I'm not sure what it is) that comes from the back of the set and may be able to be heard when very close to the front. Mine does this, and it's clearly a different sound than the loud, radiant buzz from the glass itself that projects over 20ft.

What many are reporting with the so-called buzzless units is in fact the "power supply" buzz which is what I would consider normal for the technology. The loud radiant buzz from the glass is not, and never should be, considered normal.
post #291 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Hi Nolan,

Ok great..........and yes, I did read your update, thanks!

Well, the guy who wired up my setup supposedly knows CN.

BTW, did you go to

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC/

and enter your serial number?

I did and I keep getting this error message:

"The serial number is invalid, please double-check your serial number and enter again."

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #292 of 5275 Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Nolan,

Ok great..........and yes, I did read your update, thanks!

Well, the guy who wired up my setup supposedly knows CN.

BTW, did you go to

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC/

and enter your serial number?

I did and I keep getting this error message:

"The serial number is invalid, please double-check your serial number and enter again."

John

mmm...no mine doesnt work either. I am putting your link to the OP though. Where did you get the URL from? Any idea what you are supposed to get from it?
post #293 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I will do my own poll on the 141's as I have done on 151's and no complaints on 151's as of yet of buzzing, blotching, pixels so we will see on the 141's but I think it will be the same.

...And this well be the poll I will trust. I've known quite a few 150 & some 151 owners, and NONE of them are experiencing dead pixels, blotching, streaks, or anything other than pristine PQ. No rainbows are reported either. This all seems like one big croc of BS, but then me or my friends do not have Superman vision or smell.
post #294 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

No worries here... My 141 is golden, and getting even better as the hours click off.

No buzz, dead pixel, blotches, funny smells, dandruff, or body odor.

Any speech impediments?
post #295 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post

Perhaps, but what would your perspective be if you'd spent the same $6500 as everyone else, and been one of those "very very few" whose problems haven't been resolved? What if you'd been dealing with it for months and the manufacturer of said device basically told you to blow it out your ass?

Having seen 3 151's, all that buzzed loudly, 2 with multiple dead pixels, and one with a nasty blotch in the color filter (in addition to dozens of similar reports here on AVS), I personally believe Pioneer couldn't have done enthusiasts a greater disservice than releasing a set with such phenomenal picture quality yet such unbelievably sub-par QC and customer support.

It would be so incredibly easy for me to just walk away from these sets (and certainly Pioneer as a brand) if I wasn't so frustrated by how great the picture is, and how great the set COULD BE if it didn't have other nagging problems.

That's my perspective. Until I get WHAT I PAID FOR from Pioneer, I can't see it changing much.

If I had serious problems that were not resolved by the dealer or manufacturer, I'd be upset. This also empasizes the importance of buying from a respected dealer. Buying from forum sponsors greatly lessens the chances of not having recourse for seriouls issues (assuming you live in the geographical area they are allowed to serve by Pioneer).

But again, the overwhelming majority of owners have no issues...or minor ones at worst.
post #296 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:

mmm...no mine doesnt work either. I am putting your link to the OP though. Where did you get the URL from? Any idea what you are supposed to get from it?

......from the Perfecting Performance and Aesthetics sheet:

"White Balance -True white is the basis for natural color. It creates the exceptional realism necessary to recreate even the slightest nuances and shades of color. Your Elite KURO Monitor has been put through comprehensive color correction and balancing for each and every white balance setting, and is equipped for further detailed calibration in the White Balance User Preference Settings.

To view your monitor's factory white balance setting, visit www.pioneerelectronics.com/signatureseries. Please have your serial number avalable."

John

post #297 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

...And this well be the poll I will trust. I've known quite a few 150 & some 151 owners, and NONE of them are experiencing dead pixels, blotching, streaks, or anything other than pristine PQ. No rainbows are reported either. This all seems like one big croc of BS, but then me or my friends do not have Superman vision or smell.

I see blotches and streaks. Camera pans with sky backrounds it's very noticeable. At night with low lighting blotches can be seen. I have seen a 8g with no blotches though. A large portion of the screen is darker than the other. I don't believe it goes away with break in. But with content on the screen it is hard to see. But still, plasma is known to have very good to perfect uniformity on all black screen. A large section or sections that are blacker than the rest of the screen is somewhat bothersome. Especially when one of the main features of kuro is the black levels. Great blacks BUT with darker portions of the screen don't sound good does it? Your average unpicky joe will probably never notice that or the streaks..
post #298 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"White Balance -True white is the basis for natural color. It creates the exceptional realism necessary to recreate even the slightest nuances and shades of color. Your Elite KURO Monitor has been put through comprehensive color correction and balancing for each and every white balance setting, and is equipped for further detailed calibration in the White Balance User Preference Settings.

To view your monitor's factory white balance setting, visit www.pioneerelectronics.com/signatureseries. Please have your serial number avalable."

John

Interesting. I am going to have my dealer contact pioneer about this and find out why my seriel number does not work.
post #299 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:

John

Mine doesn't work either. Anyone have a phone number for this specific area at Pioneer?
post #300 of 5275 Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I am going to have my dealer contact pioneer about this and find out why my seriel number does not work.

Ok.........at least were not alone!

The network is up........as I suspected, the ethernet cable wasn't "snapped" into the monitor's port.

Next I'll try the email setup.........I hope I don't get any spam from the 141!

John

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page