post #2971 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

You better look again, of course that was not quoting you nor was it implied that it was you that said that.
That was clearly quoting a post made by blownaway, not you.

You're right

You were quoting someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=blownaway;16331903]That's reassuring, he sounds like a great calibrator. He'll be at my house for most of the day tomorrow. I'm looking forward seeing him in action. [/QUOT

Hello all! I bought my 141fd 6 days ago and since my personal calibrator just happened to be in town, I took advantage of having him calibrate the set. My calibrator's name is Jeff Meier and he has calibrated a 70" Sony Qualia SXRD and a 70" Sony LCD- he has also calibrated two separate audio systems for me and I must say that if you are patient enough to wait for him to travel to your area, then you will not get better calibration. He brought over $40,000.00 worth of calibration equipment to my home this time and it is because of the relationship I have with him that I decided to buy my Kuro. He has a Kuro himself. Anyway, although I haven't had alot of time to watch the set yet- due to work- the night of the calibration, he and I both were blown away by how accurate he was able to get the settings. Both Jeff Meier and Pioneer believe that the factory burn in on this set is sufficient enough to have the set calibrated. Anyway, I am in love with my Kuro!

Cheers!
Parrish

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #2973 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

David does use conrol cal and has all sorts of test equipment.

Video Test Equipment:

Konica Minolta CS-200 (Chroma Meter)
Progressive Labs C-5 with software (Tristimulus Color Analyzer)
ControlCal - 8th / 9th Gen Pioneer Elite plasma
ControlCal - 9th Gen Pioneer Non Elite plasma
Sencore - CP6000 (ColorPro Color Analyzer)
Sencore - CP5000 (ColorPro Color Analyzer)
Sencore - ACP6500 (Auto Calibration Pro)
Sencore - VP403CSH (VideoPro Multimedia Video Generator)
Sencore - accuGray DC14
DataColor - ISF C3 interface for Pioneer Elite
Sony - PVM96 ( D65 Reference Video Monitor)
Numerous test and reference DVDs

Am I correct in assuming that since the calibration adjusts the 141 much deeper than the baseline set up menus do, then it doesn't matter what the TV is set?

I'm bringing this up because I didn't want to scew the calibration based on having the TV set to "game", but perhaps it's a moot point?

AV SELECTION-optimum, standard, dynamic, movie, pure, sport, game or user? Make sure your calibrator using control cal and calibrates the ISF modes. If he does not use control call then choose a different calibrator.
WHICH AV SELECTION SETTING DO YOU RECOMMEND?

It makes a difference if your calibrator does calibrated the ISF modes. Once he does they will show up in your AV selection.

Does that answer your question?
post #2974 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM

Is there a way to reset the TV back to its defaults? I am sure I entered the calibration settings some where, but I can not find them.
post #2975 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi Guys,
I actually bought a PRO-141FD last year in August, but (regretfully) had to return it b/c my wedding was a month away and I had too many bills to pay
Anyways, I finally got it back as I just took delivery of one today. It was built September 2008. Is that a problem considering many of you who just took ownership have dates of Dec. 2008, Mar. 2009, etc. Is Sept. 2008 ok or is there anything I need to know??
Thanks guys.
post #2976 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony324 View Post

Hi Guys,
I actually bought a PRO-141FD last year in August, but (regretfully) had to return it b/c my wedding was a month away and I had too many bills to pay
Anyways, I finally got it back as I just took delivery of one today. It was built September 2008. Is that a problem considering many of you who just took ownership have dates of Dec. 2008, Mar. 2009, etc. Is Sept. 2008 ok or is there anything I need to know??
Thanks guys.

I would not worry and enjoy, I have not seen people complaining to me more about one month or the other.
post #2977 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

I bought my 141fd 6 days ago and since my personal calibrator just happened to be in town, I took advantage of having him calibrate the set. My calibrator's name is Jeff Meier -- UMR ...

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Did UMR (Jeff Meier) work on your audio?
post #2978 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Did UMR (Jeff Meier) work on your audio?

Yes he did! He was able to effectively help me integrate my three Aerial SW-12's into my system. Unfortunately, there was not alot he could do about improving my analog output for blue rays as my Denon 3800bdci doesn't do bass management properly! From what I understand, Sony is about the only one that gets the analog output bass management right!

post #2979 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Yes he did! He was able to effectively help me integrate my three Aerial SW-12's into my system. Unfortunately, there was not alot he could do about improving my analog output for blue rays as my Denon 3800bdci doesn't do bass management properly! From what I understand, Sony is about the only one that gets the analog output bass management right!

Thanks.
post #2980 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

I think this is the one everyone uses. I ran it for 3-4 day's & turned if off in the evenings.

http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloa...nload_main.htm

Got it, thanks.

I was able to burn the DVD-R with Roxio using the ISO file. What do you do with the MDS file? Sorry for the "dumb" question.
thanks,
Steve
post #2981 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Hey does anyone have any opinions on the high end tivo hdvr unit mated with the 141 monitor? I just need an outboard tuner to receive hd from my roof antenna and send it to my 141! I really do miss pulling in the locals in hd. Or, does anyone have a " LG-LST-3410A" HD Digital Tuner they want to get rid of?

post #2982 of 5273 Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post

Got it, thanks.

I was able to burn the DVD-R with Roxio using the ISO file. What do you do with the MDS file? Sorry for the "dumb" question.
thanks,
Steve

If I recall, I just loaded the ISO file to isoburn (free) but roxio may work too.
post #2983 of 5273 Old 04-25-2009, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey does anyone have any opinions on the high end tivo hdvr unit mated with the 141 monitor? I just need an outboard tuner to receive hd from my roof antenna and send it to my 141! I really do miss pulling in the locals in hd. Or, does anyone have a " LG-LST-3410A" HD Digital Tuner they want to get rid of?

the Tivo HD should work just fine to get your local ota channels + cable too if you want. Sears has had them on sale in store for $199 (someone mentioned that you might get that $199 price from Tivo too) plus there is a monthly sub fee or you can buy $299-399 lifetime service.

they do have a $599 Tivo HD XL but it's not worth the extra money at all. it comes with a 1Tb internal drive, a glo remote and is THX certified.

But you can upgrade the regular Tivo HD with a 1Tb drive for ~$100 yourself. or Western Digital and Tivo just released a 1Tb external hard drive that is officially supported by Tivo and it's like $170 on amazon.

local ota HD programs should look great on your Pro141.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #2984 of 5273 Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

the Tivo HD should work just fine to get your local ota channels + cable too if you want. Sears has had them on sale in store for $199 (someone mentioned that you might get that $199 price from Tivo too) plus there is a monthly sub fee or you can buy $299-399 lifetime service.

they do have a $599 Tivo HD XL but it's not worth the extra money at all. it comes with a 1Tb internal drive, a glo remote and is THX certified.

But you can upgrade the regular Tivo HD with a 1Tb drive for ~$100 yourself. or Western Digital and Tivo just released a 1Tb external hard drive that is officially supported by Tivo and it's like $170 on amazon.

local ota HD programs should look great on your Pro141.

Hey thanks for the input! I have been fine with just ota hd for over a year now- got rid of directv due to poor performance- my other option to consider besides tivo is U-Verse- my Dad has it and I must say it looks much better than I remember Directv!

post #2985 of 5273 Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Hey thanks for the input! I have been fine with just ota hd for over a year now- got rid of directv due to poor performance- my other option to consider besides tivo is U-Verse- my Dad has it and I must say it looks much better than I remember Directv!

Today I almost pulled the trigger on a Tivo HD XL unit! They want $599 for the dvr and $60 for the wireless adapter and then $399 for lifetime subscription. I just want to be sure before I make the commitment as I have a whole closet filled with dish/ directv receivers from the past! Hey on another note- are all of you being careful with watching br movies in letter box? Are you really watching 3 full screen movies for everytime you watch a letterbox? I guess I just have a phobia now about watching letterbox and there's not much full screen out there! Thanks

post #2986 of 5273 Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Today I almost pulled the trigger on a Tivo HD XL unit! They want $599 for the dvr and $60 for the wireless adapter and then $399 for lifetime subscription. I just want to be sure before I make the commitment as I have a whole closet filled with dish/ directv receivers from the past! Hey on another note- are all of you being careful with watching br movies in letter box? Are you really watching 3 full screen movies for everytime you watch a letterbox? I guess I just have a phobia now about watching letterbox and there's not much full screen out there! Thanks

I've had the HD XL for a month now. I have both cable and OTA available. For me, the Tivo tuner and pq settings are a big step up from my SA dvr. To me, cable and OTA look the same for the same broadcast. As THX recommends with the Tivo, I went HDMI direct to the 141, and optical to my pre-pro. I went with the 3 year prepaid subscription. Lifetime means lifetime of the Tivo unit, not your lifetime. There's a Tivo thread here.
post #2987 of 5273 Old 04-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post

I've had the HD XL for a month now. I have both cable and OTA available. For me, the Tivo tuner and pq settings are a big step up from my SA dvr. To me, cable and OTA look the same for the same broadcast. As THX recommends with the Tivo, I went HDMI direct to the 141, and optical to my pre-pro. I went with the 3 year prepaid subscription. Lifetime means lifetime of the Tivo unit, not your lifetime. There's a Tivo thread here.

hey thanks for the input- I want the best quality for picture and audio and it sounds like this may be the ticket. I guess I'm spoiled by having both a BR player and a DVD player that output 1080p via Silicon Optix Processors, so if this Tivo unit is as close as I can get for OTA transmission then I may as well just go and get one.

post #2988 of 5273 Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have a calibration question. Over on another thread, I saw this:

"Many recommend calibrating to the Rec709 colors all the time. They argue that, although there is a hue difference between the two specs around green, most people would not notice the difference while they are watching a film. In my case, as I am keeping a second DVD player around anyway for PAL DVDs, I calibrate the set to Rec709 for the BD-35 and to Rec601 for the SD player."

I have a player for DVDs and a player for Blu-rays. They both input to a DVDO VP50 Pro. From there, I have a single HDMI output to our 141. So our 141 has a single active input, and thus only two IFSCC modes.

If I understand the above quote, the 141 should be calibrated slightly differently between DVDs and Blu-rays.

The scaler can output 601 or 709, but in our setup it will be outputting to the same single input on the display.

I got around questions about the cinema mode by having the scaler output only 1080p/60 (which Advance doesn't touch) or 1080p/24 (which Advance does respond to), so in that case I still only need two IFSCC modes.

But now it sounds like I need a pair of modes for DVDs and another pair for Blu-rays.

I can install a 1-to-2 splitter behind the display so we have two active inputs on the display, but I'd rather not--for one thing, splitters seem to be flakey.

Running another HDMI cable from the scaler to the display isn't an option (I'd have to tear open a wall), and it would still require a splitter.

How big of a deal is the difference between the DVD and Blu-ray color spaces?

How do calibrators typically handle this? Do most people have multiple active inputs to their display?
post #2989 of 5273 Old 04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
sk20,

Its going to depend on your player. Some players when upconverting resolution also change the color space, others don't.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2990 of 5273 Old 04-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

sk20,

Its going to depend on your player. Some players when upconverting resolution also change the color space, others don't.

The DVD player outputs raw MPEG-2 over SD-SDI, and the Blu-ray player outputs raw MPEG-4 over HD-SDI. Neither player is upconverting, deinterlacing, changing colorspace, etc. That's all handled by the scaler.

The scaler can output either colorspace. But the display has to be calibrated for one or the other colorspace, because I only have one HDMI input to it and therefore only one night IFSCC mode and one day IFSCC mode.

My question is, how bad is that limitation going to be? I thought I had this all figured out because the Advance mode won't need to be changed, so I could get by with just two modes, but this colorspace thing threw in a new complication.

Perhaps a calibrator can answer?

Update: I checked it last night. I can see the difference between the two colorspaces, unfortunately.
post #2991 of 5273 Old 04-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Hey to anyone looking for a new concert reference disc for their 141fd- I got Blue Man Group -how to be a megastar for $16.00 at Fry's this weekend- popped it in and omg it is absolutely perfect in every way- the blacks are freakin phenominal as are the colors- I mean not one flaw throughout- and this is full screen and to top it all off, it has lpcm 5.1 (my favorite). Just thought someone might be interested!

check you later

post #2992 of 5273 Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Well, it wouldn't do you any good for that...

I've posted this many times before.. the Web Interface has limited Controls..

There is no Pure Cinema Control via the Web Interface. The Web Interface does not have:

9-Point Gamma Controls, Colorspace Control, Pure Cinema Control, CMS Controls, Black Level Control, CTI Control, ACL Control, 3DYC Control, I-P Mode Control, Text Optimization Control, Intelligent Mode Control, DRE Picture Control, Enhancer Control, Blue Only Mode Control and all the Filter Controls.

These 3 are very important: Colorspace Control, Pure Cinema Control and the CMS Controls.

ControlCAL is the only application that has complete support. As for as ControlCAL with TCP/IP Support - stay tuned..

I was researching and stumbled upon this...

Are we close to TCP/IP access yet?!?!?!? That would be very cool - assuming all the functionality of the RS232 access is possible.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #2993 of 5273 Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I was researching and stumbled upon this...

Are we close to TCP/IP access yet?!?!?!? That would be very cool - assuming all the functionality of the RS232 access is possible.

That would be nice considering that i would like to do some more tuning on my 141 since i just recieved my Audience AR12.

Turbe? are we close?

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #2994 of 5273 Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM

I finally received my 141. It's flawless- no buzz or dead pixels. There is no sign of DSE either. Oh, and my favorite: no blotches.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as settings for a Time Warner HD box going into a SC-05?
post #2995 of 5273 Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasveteran View Post

I finally received my 141. It's flawless- no buzz or dead pixels. There is no sign of DSE either. Oh, and my favorite: no blotches.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as settings for a Time Warner HD box going into a SC-05?

Congrat's.

Everything you wanted to know about settings can be found in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053444

or here:

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #2996 of 5273 Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Nice review (starting on page 50) of the "king of the KUROs" with kudos to the Pioneer team that "significantly advanced the state of the art in modern flat-panel displays".

Now if that doesn't make an owner mist up, what will?

Hook
post #2997 of 5273 Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghook2020 View Post

Nice review (starting on page 50) of the "king of the KUROs" with kudos to the Pioneer team that "significantly advanced the state of the art in modern flat-panel displays".

Now if that doesn't make an owner mist up, what will?

Hook

Yeah and in an issue of Widescreen Review that lists new products by Manufacturers they mentioned that the 9G kuros have "5 times" better black levels than previous generations! Now that I have a 9G set, I can believe such a statement. The shadow detail of the picture just takes my breath away!

post #2998 of 5273 Old 05-01-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I was trying out some settings,using ControlCAL tonight. Mega thanks to Turbe for helping with the minor case of cockpit error.

After entering ISF Night settings from SillySally, I noticed that my Gamma was set at 3. Of course, in ISF mode, you cannot change anything from the user menu, but I also did not see a way to specifically set the Gamma via ControlCAL. So, apparently based on the settings I entered, Gamma=3 was "chosen"?

Is there some relationship to the settings, that causes a specific Gamma value to be set?

I plan on trying other settings tomorrow, so I'll see if they influence the Gamma selection differently.

SillySally's settings look very nice, BTW. I may keep them until I actually have a professional calibrating perfromed

-steve
post #2999 of 5273 Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I love my 60" euro elite signature or whatever.... It is the best picture bar none..... I have had mine for 8 months now I believe... I want another for the bedroom... Anything else come out the past few months or coming out that I should consider?
post #3000 of 5273 Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

I love my 60" euro elite signature or whatever.... It is the best picture bar none..... I have had mine for 8 months now I believe... I want another for the bedroom... Anything else come out the past few months or coming out that I should consider?

The only set that I've seen that can even come close to touching the 141fd is Sharp's new Limited Edition LCD 65" with its new backlighting technology- it uses blue, red and green leds for backlighting and to me it is state of the art for being an lcd- however, it costs $15k so just buy another Kuro Sig Elite and live happily ever after!

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page