1Likes

post #3151 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Ok guys, I have the Oppo BD-83.

I have been playing with the BD-83 and going back and fourth between my Pioneer BD-09 and Oppo-83.

There is no question that you need to tweak the settings, mostly with my ISF calibration and my 141 for the BD-83.

I will be playing with the BD-83 most of the week. When I feel I have some reasonable ISF settings for the BD-83 and the 141, I will post them.

Here is a link for my early review. In that review you will find a tweak for the BD-83.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16533100

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my 141 set up last night, replacing my 6 year old Panny. Initial reaction with out-of-the box settings... "Oh my!"

Mike
post #3153 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I have been playing with the BD-83 and going back and fourth between my Pioneer BD-09 and Oppo-83.

There is no question that you need to tweak the settings, mostly with my ISF calibration and my 141 for the BD-83.

I will be playing with the BD-83 most of the week. When I feel I have some reasonable ISF settings for the BD-83 and the 141, I will post them.

Here is a link for my early review. In that review you will find a tweak for the BD-83.

ss

Peter,

Glad to see you have positive 1st impressions about the -83. I found it to be a wonderful player (at any price) and an excellent compliment to my 141.

444 CS will be used in Auto mode, so you don't have to lock it in on the -83. Although it can't hurt.

Enjoy!

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3154 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

ss

Hi Double S -

Thanks again for taking the calibration lead for the rest of us BDP-83/141FD owners.

Just read you are listening with Denon cans. Am curious -- did you change plans, or are you still waiting on the Senn HD800's?

Hook
post #3155 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr21 View Post

Got my 141 set up last night, replacing my 6 year old Panny. Initial reaction with out-of-the box settings... "Oh my!" [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG]

Mike

Nice! Money well spent
post #3156 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghook2020 View Post

Hi Double S -

Thanks again for taking the calibration lead for the rest of us BDP-83/141FD owners.

Just read you are listening with Denon cans. Am curious -- did you change plans, or are you still waiting on the Senn HD800's?

Hook

I still have my pre order on the HD-800.

However I really like the Denon D7000. So I may just cancel my HD-800 pre order. The Denon cans are the closest to a good speaker system and sub, that I have ever heard.

It is for this reason why I got the BDP-83. The 2ch discrete analog out.
And I can say with some degree of confidence that Oppo's 2ch stereo downmix blows my Pioneer BDP-09 away. Its not that the tone or the high, mid, low range is bad with the BD-09 because it is better than the Oppo, but the way the Oppo downmix's the 5.1/7.1 is so much better than Pioneer. And it seems to me that the firmware is Pioneer's downfall.

Now if I can get the PQ with the Oppo on a par with my BDP-09, The Oppo will be my choice.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3157 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still have my pre order on the HD-800.

However I really like the Denon D7000. So I may just cancel my HD-800 pre order. The Denon cans are the closest to a good speaker system and sub, that I have ever heard.

It is for this reason why I got the BDP-83. The 2ch discrete analog out.
And I can say with some degree of confidence that Oppo's 2ch stereo downmix blows my Pioneer BDP-09 away. Its not that the tone or the high, mid, low range is bad with the BD-09 because it is better than the Oppo, but the way the Oppo downmix's the 5.1/7.1 is so much better than Pioneer. And it seems to me that the firmware is Pioneer's downfall.

Now if I can get the PQ with the Oppo on a par with my BDP-09, The Oppo will be my choice.

Curious as to what deficiencies you are finding with PQ on the -83, compared to the -09? I found that BD content was about even, slight edge to the -09 on anime, but bigger edge (albeit still slight) to the -83 with film. There was no contest on SD content - the -83 was head & shoulders better than the -09 on all material.

Bear in mind, however, my 141 is still young in hours and the settings I am using are your -09/55 values. I am still aging the panel before doing my own calibration.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3158 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Peter,

Glad to see you have positive 1st impressions about the -83. I found it to be a wonderful player (at any price) and an excellent compliment to my 141.

444 CS will be used in Auto mode, so you don't have to lock it in on the -83. Although it can't hurt.

Enjoy!

Steve, that's interesting. Last night when I hooked up my BD-83 it seemed to default to 422 cs. However I used a HDMI port that wasn't set up for ISF settings. It was only after I setup the BD-83 and 141, that I inputted my ISF settings. And then kept tweaking the settings as the night wore on.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3159 of 5275 Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspears View Post

My Pro 141 FD arrives on Wednesday (bought locally from a B&M). It will be replacing a Sony KDS-R60XBR1. I plan on breaking it in with the break-in DVD for about 100 hours and then getting it calibrated. I have an email in to Robert Busch about calibration. Has anyone in the bay area used him before?

Delivered today....

Holeeeee$hit!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3160 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, that's interesting. Last night when I hooked up my BD-83 it seemed to default to 422 cs. However I used a HDMI port that wasn't set up for ISF settings. It was only after I setup the BD-83 and 141, that I inputted my ISF settings. And then kept tweaking the settings as the night wore on.

Perhaps, the 141 gave a 422 EDID for that input. Although, I thought by default the 141's also used 444... hmmm - now I'm confused

-steve

post #3161 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does this comment mean that you are impressed?!?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #3162 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey- I noticed that one of the newest Pioneer BD Players has 48bit deep color capability- does really mean anything right now with regards to better picture quality when used in conjunction with the 141fd? I know my Denon 3800 has 36 bit deep color which is displayed on the screen of my 141.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #3163 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

Does this comment mean that you are impressed?!?

Right out of the box just an insane picture. Even the wife who was blown away. We watched "The Fall" which has the most amazing cinematography and color palate and were just mesmerized. I am waiting on my break-in DVD to arrive so I can get that started and then I will get it calibrated. I cannot imagine the picture could get too much better. It is simply amazing.....just amazing. I will spend the morning fooling around with some of the settings.
post #3164 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

I am waiting on my break-in DVD to arrive so I can get that started and then I will get it calibrated.

If you're planning on a professional calibration there is no need to follow the D-Nice break-in proceedure.

Calibration Resources:

post #3165 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you're planning on a professional calibration there is no need to follow the D-Nice break-in proceedure.

After slogging my way thru this entire thread I thought the feeling was the 141 still needed about 100 to 150 hours of break-in prior to calibration.
post #3166 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

After slogging my way thru this entire thread I thought the feeling was the 141 still needed about 100 to 150 hours of break-in prior to calibration.

If, by break-in, you mean being careful to avoid fixed images like black bars, logos, or ticker tape then yes that's a good idea.

If you mean, by break-in, exactly following D-Nice's break-in procedure, there is no need to if you aren't planning on using his posted settings. A professional calibration by D-Nice or any of the other outstanding calibrators who have done work for members of this forum will result in an optimization of these wonderful displays.

PS: D-Nice hasn't posted calibrated settings for the 141 so using his break-in precedure is even more of a personal choice.

Calibration Resources:

post #3167 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:

If, by break-in, you mean being careful to avoid fixed images like black bars, logos, or ticker tape then yes that's a good idea.

If you mean, by break-in, exactly following D-Nice's break-in procedure, there is no need to if you aren't planning on using his posted settings. A professional calibration by D-Nice or any of the other outstanding calibrators who have done work for members of this forum will result in an optimization of these wonderful displays.

PS: D-Nice hasn't posted calibrated settings for the 141 so using his break-in precedure is even more of a personal choice.

I will get right on the phone to Robert Busch then and see if I can get him down here soon.

a quick shout out to Turbe....thanks for the web settings....I cannot get the email function to work (AT&T Uverse) but your post for EZ hours was very helpful. 00005 hours racked up already.
post #3168 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I will get right on the phone to Robert Busch then and see if I can get him down here soon.

I would still give your display 100-150 hours of careful use so that the phosphor aging process will have a chance to flatten out. That's my paranoid component speaking.

We'll be looking forward to a report after your calibration.

Enjoy.

Calibration Resources:

post #3169 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yea but also Pioneer states they break it in a little at the factory
post #3170 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

a quick shout out to Turbe....thanks for the web settings....I cannot get the email function to work (AT&T Uverse) but your post for EZ hours was very helpful. 00005 hours racked up already.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3171 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:

I would still give your display 100-150 hours of careful use so that the phosphor aging process will have a chance to flatten out. That's my paranoid component speaking.

Why not just run D-Nice's break-in settings, if you have time to do so? That's what I've been doing just to get some safe, worry-free hours on the panel, early in its life. Like your second quote above, better safe than sorry, right? I've been running the disc while I'm at home (have been too busy this week to watch much of anything), and also run it all night until I leave for the office in the morning.

Oh, BTW - proud new owner of a pixel-perfect, crack-free 141, delivered last Monday 5/18. I originally had placed an order for the 600M, but shipping damage reports and hard-to-find stock led me to upgrade to the 141 instead (many thanks to Robert @ VE). This is my first posting in this 141 Owners thread (iirc), and will probably have questions for the seasoned pros around here.

I've been running the break-in disc in the evenings (D-Nice settings, Sport mode, via HD-A35) while the 141 sat in the box bottom, awaiting a friend to help wall-mount this past Saturday 5/23. I now have about 150 hours with the break-in disc, and have only had time to watch one full movie (Ratatouille Blu-ray @ 1080p/24 via Pio 51FD, default settings, Pure mode) over the holiday weekend, with some misc. time demoing various BDs and HD DVDs to check out the amazing PQ and black levels. All I can say is that the 141 is by far the most amazing HDTV I've had the joy to experience! The picture is simply stunning, and Ratatouille simply popped off the screen with 3D effects. My few minutes with Corpse Bride HD DVD was more of the same - holy you-know-what. I had no idea movies could look this good...

I've been reading this thread off and on the past few weeks, but am finally thru every single posting. I have bookmarked various settings from SS and others (thanks for all you've done!) to try out on my 141 soon. I will also be getting ControlCal as soon as I figure out which Profile(s) I need to download - any advice would be appreciated. I have the RS232 cable and Keyspan adapter already installed, and I hope there's zero chance that I might send the wrong signal and brick my 141. Yes, I'm a bit nervous with my new TV...

I do plan on a professional calibration when the next ISF pro is touring the Seattle area, though may do a home-brew with DVE before then just for fun. I'm very interested in the ISF Day/Night settings to get the best performance out of the 141.

I'm also interested in doing my own "quality" calibrations like SS, but do not have a good sensor to use - and I know they can be pricey. I've used SpyderTV in the past on my previous Hitachi's (with mixed results), but will be selling that to get something better. If I buy an X-Rite Eye One sensor, is the Display LT model "good enough" for a casual home calibration, or would I get more out of a Display 2 model for about $60 more? I thought they were the exact same sensor but the Display 2 came with add'l software for computer monitors?

I've learned a ton from everyone here, all your postings are truly valuable. I feel proud to be a fellow 141 owner with everyone here, and feel very fortunate to own what is probably one of the best HDTVs made so far...if everything I've read is true!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #3172 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrat's & welcome!!!

Turbe will become your best friend for ControlCAL information. Treat him kindly

Enjoy!

-steve

post #3173 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Why not just run D-Nice's break-in settings, if you have time to do so?

There isn't any reason not to as long as those doing it are able to follow D-Nice's clear instructions.

Keep in mind that some people have a problem doing that. One example would be watching the History Channel with it's high contrast logo while still using D-Nice's break-in settings.

Calibration Resources:

post #3174 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There isn't any reason not to as long as those doing it are able to follow D-Nice's clear instructions.

Keep in mind that some people have a problem doing that. One example would be watching the History Channel with it's high contrast logo while still using D-Nice's break-in settings.

100% agree.

I was assuming that if someone is not running the break-in disc, they would know to change from D-Nice's "torch" mode (for lack of a better term, no offense meant!) using Sport mode to a different one (ie, Pure mode) when temporarily watching TV or a DVD. This is what I made sure to do when I watched the one movie over the weekend...

Steve, thanks for the tip on Turbe! I emailed him a few weeks back when I thought I was getting the 600M thru the VE/CC package that was advertised on the CC website. Since I now have the 141, I'll verify with him exactly which of his Profiles I'll need...

FREE TIBET! *
post #3175 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Ugh. OK, I've got my new system in MINUS the 101. The shop is loaning me a Sharp Aquos LCD until my stand gets here. I caught about half of the Champions League final (Man U and Barcelona) on ESPN HD last night and OH MY! If this not so good LCD looks this good I can't wait to get my 101!

Oh yeah, the also gave me a BD-51FD Pioneer Bluray player until my 23FD arrives but I also just yesterday got my invite to get an OPPO. Hmmm, decisions, decisions... LOL!

I know it's not necessary but I will be doing using the break in DVD (if I can figure out how to burn it to a blank disc on my Mac, any help?) when not actually watching it for a while.

I too will be looking forward to a pro calibration. Maybe mak99 and I should team up and get somebody to come out for a couple days!

Cheers!
post #3176 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneskiian View Post

I too will be looking forward to a pro calibration. Maybe mak99 and I should team up and get somebody to come out for a couple days!

You bet! I've contacted both Michael TLV and David Evans regarding their upcoming schedules to our area, though it will also depend on my own schedule (work and summer travels). Hopefully I can get one of them confirmed in the next few months...which gives me more time to add some hours to the counter.

I can't help you re: burning the disc on a Mac, but I'd be glad to pass along my disc as I have more than one...

FREE TIBET! *
post #3177 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS: D-Nice hasn't posted calibrated settings for the 141 so using his break-in procedure is even more of a personal choice.

The biggest reason for the break-in is to accelerate the time it takes to break -in your display. There by being able to use your display sooner for the programing you view.

There are other reasons for D-Nice's brake-in settings also.

I use D-Nice's break-in advice. And I do post ISF night settings for my 141.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3178 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Perhaps, the 141 gave a 422 EDID for that input. Although, I thought by default the 141's also used 444... hmmm - now I'm confused

I will check out tonight what the 141 is defaulting to when using the BD-83 set on Auto.

Like I said that may have been just a one time happening. And now that I have the BD-83 and the 141 playing very well together, I will set the 141 to auto for cs, and see what happens.

Friday if I have time, I will run a full ISF night calibration. And if the calibration checks out well I will post my ISF calibration report and settings on Saturday.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3179 of 5275 Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

model for about $60 more? I thought they were the exact same sensor but the Display 2 came with add'l software for computer monitors?

I've learned a ton from everyone here, all your postings are truly valuable. I feel proud to be a fellow 141 owner with everyone here, and feel very fortunate to own what is probably one of the best HDTVs made so far...if everything I've read is true!

Congrats!

I use a I1Pro and Calman calibration software and of course Controcal.

Many Pro ISF calibrators use the I1Pro. If you have the money that is the way to go.

Some folks have been frustrated by using a lessor spectroradiometer.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3180 of 5275 Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will check out tonight what the 141 is defaulting to when using the BD-83 set on Auto.

Like I said that may have been just a one time happening. And now that I have the BD-83 and the 141 playing very well together, I will set the 141 to auto for cs, and see what happens.

Friday if I have time, I will run a full ISF night calibration. And if the calibration checks out well I will post my ISF calibration report and settings on Saturday.

Thanks Peter - looking forward to that.

-steve

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page