Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3211 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does he do audio too? I'd like to calibrate the SSP-800 as well with the manual PEQ. I can have my local dealer do it but I didn't buy the Pioneer from them so they may not do the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,
Today I joined the Pioneer 141 family. I now own 2 Pioneer plasma monitors. The first is the 503CMX I bought in 2002. I have just moved that to another room. In its place is a new 141.

I installed it today and have since watched it for about 8 hours. We watched a couple of BluRay discs as well as a TV movie and Cavs/Magic basketball game on my Comcast cable with TivoHD.

My first observation is that the picture is AWESOME. Thats the positive side.

On the "slightly" negative side is the heat that the unit puts out. Remember I had the 503CMX in the same room for 7 years. And yes it also generates a fair amount of heat. But it seems that the 141 is hotter. My media room is approx 17x12. So after maybe 5 hours of viewing it was warm. After 8 hours it was very warm in the room.

If you walk up to the unit, maybe 3 feet away, you can really feel the heat in front of the screen.

Has anyone noticed this issue and how do you deal with it?
Thanks,
Steve
post #3213 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post

Hi,
Today I joined the Pioneer 141 family. I now own 2 Pioneer plasma monitors. The first is the 503CMX I bought in 2002. I have just moved that to another room. In its place is a new 141.

I installed it today and have since watched it for about 8 hours. We watched a couple of BluRay discs as well as a TV movie and Cavs/Magic basketball game on my Comcast cable with TivoHD.

My first observation is that the picture is AWESOME. Thats the positive side.

On the "slightly" negative side is the heat that the unit puts out. Remember I had the 503CMX in the same room for 7 years. And yes it also generates a fair amount of heat. But it seems that the 141 is hotter. My media room is approx 17x12. So after maybe 5 hours of viewing it was warm. After 8 hours it was very warm in the room.

If you walk up to the unit, maybe 3 feet away, you can really feel the heat in front of the screen.

Has anyone noticed this issue and how do you deal with it?
Thanks,
Steve

I have noticed the heat from 1 foot away but not 3 feet, and cant say it ever heated my room.

Heat is a result of inefficiency, judging by the power usage of the 141 I dont think its any better or worse then any other plasma the same size.
post #3214 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar View Post

Does he do audio too? I'd like to calibrate the SSP-800 as well with the manual PEQ. I can have my local dealer do it but I didn't buy the Pioneer from them so they may not do the TV.

Only basic.

The 800 has a manual AQ which would really require a professional. I would recommend seeking out a local pro.

Post in club Classe to get some ideas. I know others there are talking about it.
post #3215 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM

I know its bigger than my 50" 503, but its also 7 years newer. So I thought the engineers would have dealt with the heat issue better by know. Oh well.
Steve
post #3216 of 5275 Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know its bigger than my 50" 503, but its also 7 years newer. So I thought the engineers would have dealt with the heat issue better by know. Oh well.
Steve

Its plasma in general. The 141 doesnt use more or less then any other 60". It actually uses slightly less if you take into account the lack of tuner and amp.
post #3217 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know its bigger than my 50" 503, but its also 7 years newer. So I thought the engineers would have dealt with the heat issue better by know. Oh well. Steve

congrats on the new pro141.

it's 44% larger than the 50" so alot more area to generate and put off heat from. plus Pioneer uses a single pane now instead of the older double pane systems so more heat is directed forward from the front panel.

I'm about the same as vancouver, i can feel a little heat from a foot away but not at 3 feet on my 60" Pioneer. no problems with it heating up the room.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #3218 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

I theorize that someone who is considering getting a monitor instead of a full TV probably is the kind of person who normally shells out money for separate components, and that *might* mean they have more money to toss around. If that's the case, then, for such a person, spending more on a 141 than a 101 seems like a natural thing to do, provided they have room for a 60" panel.

Another theory is that the 101 requires separate components to drive it, yet it's smaller than the 60". If a person has room for separate components, then likely they have more room for a larger panel too.

So, the user profiles are different. Someone with space and budget constraints would get the 111 and feed it directly with a combo player and a satellite or cable box. Someone without space or budget constraints would get the 141 and feed it from perhaps an outboard scaler, with a bunch of inputs, and would have separate 5.1 or even 7.1 speakers and amps. Someone in the middle might get the 151 to economize on speakers and the tuner. But who would get the 101, which is smaller, yet requires more components to drive it? They'd still need separate speakers and a separate tuner.

I agree with you and I also believe the market is drawn away from the 101. I think most people buying 50" TV's want the speakers and stand. They probably have an audio system hooked up but might not want to turn it on all the time so they go with the 111. Seems to be the biggest seller of all of the 9G Elites. I hear everybody in saying if you already had a 60" there is no way you are going down to the 101. Or again in a marketing sense, guys like us that have the seperate amps, tower speakers, etc. don't need the speakers and tuner and would opt for the 141 as the perfect monitor.

I am coming from 2 - 42" Panasonic plasmas(old PX80 and a PH11UK) and don't feel the hit on the 50" like most others. And my room is perfect for a 50" 8 feet from the set.

Yesterday I went into my local HT store where I worked with a guy I have worked with for 12 years - pretty much has sold me the majority of my equipment. I got to tell you guys in my shoes I could not justify the extra $2000 on the 141. The 101 was the best deal I have ever seen on any high end electronic equipment. 50% off list price is just too hard to pass up so I grabbed the 101 and the new BDP-23FD. Sorry OPPO fans - keeping BD in the family.

Not that I completely disregarded the 111 and the 151. I just happened to be one of those guys that is typically around when the major changes in the industry happen. Pioneer leaving the plasma industry is sad for most of us knowing they make the best TV's/Monitors hands down.

In my opinion the choice to go 101/141 is not because the PQ is better than the 111/151(although I do believe it is marginally better), but because the 101/141 Signature Series is Pioneer saying to all of us that these two monitors after 9 generations are the best of the best that we at Pioneer can make and we are closing our plasma doors offering you the crem de la crem.

I think this is so classy on Pioneer's part that it had to be a 101 for me.

Again I could not justify the extra $2000 on the 141 as I was able to get a new BD player and have $1600 extra dollars that will go towards my new Mac Pro. I am into a lot of other things besides HT, so I need to spread my wealth around.

In my opinion if size does not matter to you and you want the crem de la crem, the 101 is the best deal in HT history in my opinion and they will be gone soon so get in there...
post #3219 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

I tend to agree with sk20 for the most part. I am one of the few 101 owners. There are a couple of reasons. First, I don't really have the room for a 60" in my TV's location (certainly, my wife doesn't think so). Second, about the time that I was going to pull the trigger, the economy went South, along with my wife's job. So, it would have been a hard sell.

All in all, if you have decided that 50" is the way to go, but you still appreciate the benefits of the Signatures thinner, lighter, supposedly higher quality control, network access, slightly finer image adjustment controls, etc.), I wouldn't hesitate. I love mine.

About the only thing that bugs me is that while the non-Signatures have gotten multiple firmware updates (all for tuner related issues, I believe), the Signatures have gotten none. The truth is that the network-related stuff could use some fixes/updates, but I doubt that we'll ever see them.

If your fear is that there is something about the 101 that is inferior to the 141 (other than the size), then rest easy. There is nothing like that.

You know my fear went away but I have to say that it seemed really one sided towards the 111 & 141 that it was hard to pull the trigger not knowing if there was something wrong with the set and I just could not find any info. on it. I am happy with my decision and my 6 month pregnant wife I am sure is happy too.

Someone else on this forum made a comment and I really believe this myself and it helped me to pull the trigger. He basically wrote that if I was worried about the 101 I shouldn't be and that if I was worried about PQ than the 101 should theoretically have better PQ than the 141 due to the smaller size. I have bought 42" TV's in the past for this very reason as they were going into small rooms and they were just more defined than their 50" or larger counterparts. 1080 lines should look sharper on a 50" monitor over a 60" monitor. Same amount of lines , smaller surface area to cover. Not knockin' the 141 guys so please no hatin' just layin' it out there...
post #3220 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM

Quick question. Last night I was watching "The Dark Knight". Sourced from my S550 to my Pro 141. The S550 was set to output 1080p to a 16:9 Monitor and the 141 was screen sized at Dot to Dot. I noticed that on some scenes there were black bars above and below the picture and on other scenes the picture completely filled the screen. Is this normal?
post #3221 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspears View Post

Quick question. Last night I was watching "The Dark Knight". Sourced from my S550 to my Pro 141. The S550 was set to output 1080p to a 16:9 Monitor and the 141 was screen sized at Dot to Dot. I noticed that on some scenes there were black bars above and below the picture and on other scenes the picture completely filled the screen. Is this normal?

That movie was shot in two different aspect ratios. Yes its normal.
post #3222 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Its plasma in general. The 141 doesnt use more or less then any other 60". It actually uses slightly less if you take into account the lack of tuner and amp.

My 503CMX is also a monitor, thus no tuner, etc. It got hot.

I guess I'll live with it.
Steve
post #3223 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstage28 View Post

the 101 should theoretically have better PQ than the 141 due to the smaller size. I have bought 42" TV's in the past for this very reason as they were going into small rooms and they were just more defined than their 50" or larger counterparts. 1080 lines should look sharper on a 50" monitor over a 60" monitor. Same amount of lines , smaller surface area to cover. Not knockin' the 141 guys so please no hatin' just layin' it out there...

This depends on viewing distance. If you sit at distance X to view the 50" screen, then you'll see the same PQ on a 60" if you sit at distance X + C, where C is the additional distance required for the screen to appear the same size (the subtended angles need to be the same--it's a trig problem and I'm too lazy to work it at the moment). If you don't vary the viewing distance, then the distance for optimal viewing of the 50" will make the 60" too close, and you'll (possibly) see some of the grain due to pixels; conversely if you sit at the optimal distance for the 60", the 50" will be harder to see.

One other consideration is the total amount of light output. If light output isn't linearly proportional to screen area, then a larger screen might seem brighter or dimmer than a smaller screen. But I think light output scales linearly.
post #3224 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi,
I tried to connect to the 141's Web control system as described in the user manual on page 64. But whenever I do so, the browser window just disappears.

I use the Home button to get to the IP Control Settings menu. I then select DHCP Enable. I look at the IP Address, Gateway, etc. and they are all set. Though you can't see the settings unless you actually go into the specific submenu for IP Address for example. Should that be displayed on the control setup screen?

When I finally go to my PC and enter the IP address assigned for example, 192.168.20.11. I get to a Pioneer screen "Web control system", Login, Please enter Password!!!.
When I do so the window disappears.

Any idea?
Thanks,
Steve
post #3225 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,
I tried to connect to the 141's Web control system as described in the user manual on page 64. But whenever I do so, the browser window just disappears.

I use the Home button to get to the IP Control Settings menu. I then select DHCP Enable. I look at the IP Address, Gateway, etc. and they are all set. Though you can't see the settings unless you actually go into the specific submenu for IP Address for example. Should that be displayed on the control setup screen?

When I finally go to my PC and enter the IP address assigned for example, 192.168.20.11. I get to a Pioneer screen "Web control system", Login, Please enter Password!!!.

Any idea?
Thanks,
Steve

Try allowing pop-ups.
post #3226 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Great. That worked... Thanks.
Now I tried to send myself a test email and I don't get anything and no errors appear.

I have a gmail account, so I set the SMTP (I aasumed thats the outgoing server) email address to be 74.125.93.109 along with my user and passwords.

What should happen?

Thanks,
Steve
post #3227 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Depending on your ISP, email is a crapshhot.

If you're tying to find the hours on your panel, Turbe posted a web link to your 141 interface that will give you that.

I gave up on email...

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3228 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Depending on your ISP, email is a crapshhot.

If you're tying to find the hours on your panel, Turbe posted a web link to your 141 interface that will give you that.

I gave up on email...

Check Hours on 9G Monitors (Signatures / KRP-Ms) with the Web Interface - EZ Hours

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3229 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Peter,

Speaking of 141's and -83's... how's the calibration coming along?

Steve, sorry for the delay.

I am still trying to tweak the BD-83 for are 141s. And don't worry the BD-83 is one very nice player and matches well with are 141s.

For now something you can try, setting enhancement mode to neutral and sharpness to around -9, on your 141 ISF settings.
Source direct on and all enhancements off, in your BD-83 when playing a BD.

Try using auto mode and 36 bit deep color settings on the BD-83 for SD films.

Also make sure your 141 is defaulting to HDMI color space 4:4:4.

I am having a small glitch with my 141 defaulting to cs 444.
When I use the HDMI cable that comes with the BD-83 and connect that cable direct to my 141, my 141 seems two default to cs 4:2:2.

I am now testing other HDMI cables. As far as the power cord goes that comes with the BD-83, that seems to work well.

Peter.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3230 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Hi,

Any idea?
Thanks,
Steve

Disable Popup Blocker - Edit: Bogney already posted this tip

Use IE for best results (though others can work).

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3231 of 5275 Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

This depends on viewing distance. If you sit at distance X to view the 50" screen, then you'll see the same PQ on a 60" if you sit at distance X + C, where C is the additional distance required for the screen to appear the same size (the subtended angles need to be the same--it's a trig problem and I'm too lazy to work it at the moment). If you don't vary the viewing distance, then the distance for optimal viewing of the 50" will make the 60" too close, and you'll (possibly) see some of the grain due to pixels; conversely if you sit at the optimal distance for the 60", the 50" will be harder to see.

One other consideration is the total amount of light output. If light output isn't linearly proportional to screen area, then a larger screen might seem brighter or dimmer than a smaller screen. But I think light output scales linearly.

I can't agree with you more. I am tossing around 8-10ft for this 50" depending upon how far back I went the couch to sit. I was really relating size in reference to resolution and how PQ is defined while subject to viewing distance.

The 141 is a glorious TV, just picked up some Blu Rays at Best Buy today and sat in front of the 141. I sum it up as this. If you want a TV screen you choose the 101/111 and if you want a movie screen you go with a 141/151. No doubts I am certainly a satisfied customer with the 101. PQ is definitely the best I have ever seen out of the box in Pure mode particularly. Impressive. No handshake issues with my old Pio 82 TXS. Will be hooking up the 94 TXH up this weekend. The BDP-23 seems to do very well with this monitor not a big surprise there. I see much better shadow detail over the PS3. At $600(paid much less on their first shipment in) the BD-23 I am sure would be a great match for the 141 as well as the 101. Love the way it syncs with the 101 for optimal picture quality. You actually set it up initially for Pioneer PDP. Not sure if it works that way as well with the 05 and 51. I always felt the PS3 crushed blacks a bit too much,even more so than my Panasonic BD-35, and now with the 101 and the BDP-23 it is easier to see what's lacking in other players.

I had the same revelation when I bought my first Eizo CG monitor and realized what a Dell and Samsung computer LCD do to shadow detail. The Eizo CG241 brings every bit of shadow detail your camera sensor can resolve. The 101 will be a great monitor for testing out limitations in other players as well I am sure. Can't wait to burn this puppy in...

Hopefully no one minds a loley 101 owner on the 141 thread. I do have an Eye One at my disposal. I actually sell Eye One's for graphics editing mostly. I am going to give CalMan and ControlCAL a try and might be able to post some settings for 101 owners...
post #3232 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar View Post

Hey, can I join the club? Another happy customer of Roman at buybestplasma..

Yes you may! COngrats!
post #3233 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Steve, sorry for the delay.

I am still trying to tweak the BD-83 for are 141s. And don't worry the BD-83 is one very nice player and matches well with are 141s.

For now something you can try, setting enhancement mode to neutral and sharpness to around -9, on your 141 ISF settings.
Source direct on and all enhancements off, in your BD-83 when playing a BD.

Try using auto mode and 36 bit deep color settings on the BD-83 for SD films.

Also make sure your 141 is defaulting to HDMI color space 4:4:4.

I am having a small glitch with my 141 defaulting to cs 444.
When I use the HDMI cable that comes with the BD-83 and connect that cable direct to my 141, my 141 seems two default to cs 4:2:2.

I am now testing other HDMI cables. As far as the power cord goes that comes with the BD-83, that seems to work well.

Peter.

No worries Peter

I've been trying a number of combinations. I haven't used source direct yet, though. What advantage of 36 bit deep color could we expect? I didn't think that would be adding any value.

Regarding the 444/422cs issues. I remember way back that I had to force it on the 141, because my cable box kept setting to 422. I think then the 141 transferred that (EDID?) to the -83 and caused "auto" on the -83 to use 422. Long story short... I tweaked the cable box to send 444 and all is well.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3234 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries Peter

I've been trying a number of combinations. I haven't used source direct yet, though. What advantage of 36 bit deep color could we expect? I didn't think that would be adding any value.

Regarding the 444/422cs issues. I remember way back that I had to force it on the 141, because my cable box kept setting to 422. I think then the 141 transferred that (EDID?) to the -83 and caused "auto" on the -83 to use 422. Long story short... I tweaked the cable box to send 444 and all is well.

Steve , what cable box do you have that offers different modes for 422 and 444. Are these RGB or ycbcr?

Chris ,

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #3235 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No worries Peter

In the case of the Oppo and HD 1080p films, leave Deep color off.
With SD DVD 408i films, deep color 36 bit will add more texture and color to the picture.

Well now we are getting somewhere. After playing some more with the 444/422 cs issue. What I have found to work with my 141 and Oppo with a direct connect HDMI cable, is to get rid of the HDMI cable that comes from Oppo.
I have used a Audioquest HDMI-3/6.1 cable (2m, and my 141 defaulted to 444.
I then tried a Monster HD-1000 HDMI cable (1m) and once more the 141 defaulted to 444.

For PQ the Oppo and the Audioquest HDMI cable's are about the same.
However what really surprised me was the Monster HD-1000 cable. It added to PQ a little better focus. I should also add that I did lower contrast from 24 to 23.
Bottom line is that using the Monster HD-1000 has now completed my tweaks and what I wanted out of PQ from my Oppo, for my 141 in source direct mode for HD films.

I will be watching more BDs tonight just to make sure my findings are correct.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3236 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well now we are getting somewhere. After playing some more with the 444/422 cs issue. What I have found to work with my 141 and Oppo with a direct connect HDMI cable, is to get rid of the HDMI cable that comes from Oppo.
I then tried a Monster HD-1000 HDMI cable (1m) and once more the 141 defaulted to 444.

Are you saying that the HDMI cable (Monoprice) which comes with the 83 changes the defualt to 422 and the Audioquest and Monster cable se the default to 444?

That is bazar!
post #3237 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With SD DVD 408i films, deep color 36 bit will add more texture and color to the picture.

I'll check that out tomorrow evening. I'm a tad skeptical - but, hoping that I'll be surprised at the results. I haven't done much critical DVD viewing,with either the -83 or the 141. so, now I have a reason!

Quote:

Glad you found the problem. I wouldn't have suspected the cable. I have been using Monoprice HDMI cables for all my gear. I'll have to try one of my Audioquest cables to see if there is a difference. I don't have any Monster anything. Long story, pet peeve. I just refuse to use their products.

Quote:

For PQ the Oppo and the Audioquest HDMI cable's are about the same.
However what really surprised me was the Monster HD-1000 cable. It added to PQ a little better focus. I should also add that I did lower contrast from 24 to 23.

I have to think the change resulted from the contrast adjustment.

-steve

post #3238 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Steve , what cable box do you have that offers different modes for 422 and 444. Are these RGB or ycbcr?

Chris ,

Moto 7216 DVR it's YCbCr.

Before you ask... I'll have to look up the keystroke sequence to get to the service menu - been a while and I forgot how

-steve

post #3239 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to think the change resulted from the contrast adjustment.

That is why I noted the 1 point drop in contrast.

However I have been playing with contrast before I added the Monster and the 1 point drop. I have dropped from 24 to 21,22, and that didnt make any differences.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3240 of 5275 Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:

That is why I noted the 1 point drop in contrast.

However I have been playing with contrast before I added the Monster and the 1 point drop. I have dropped from 24 to 21,22, and that didnt make any differences.

I don't know why -- maybe it's the avatar -- but I have this mental image of you as Dr. Frankenstein in his laboratory. A new cable here, a notch down on the brightness there, one more contrast adjustment and.....It's alive!!

Can't wait to see your results. I dread the thought of having to snake a replacement for my 25' Monoprice HDMI cable from my a/v closet to the 141 though.

Keep up the good evil work Dr. 2S!

Hook
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page