1Likes

post #3271 of 5273 Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you have ever spent any time in Hong Kong, or elsewhere in South East Asia, you know that they can provide all kinds of fancy goods that look just like the real thing. In the case of Monster cables, their copies might be just as good.

Yeah I know this. Nice try.

But not in this case. Copies will always reveal very subtle differences somewhere in the product or at least in the packaging, like poorer quality printing on the box. This is the real McCoy down to the slanted shaped box that closes with the two velcro buttons and the imprinted MSERIES black velour cable holder. You can see that there is Monster writing on the jacket of the cable under the tech-flex mesh. Plus I seriously doubt that there is a large enough market to bother making fake Monster HDMI cables. The items that are counterfeit copies are high demand items such as watches for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 5273 Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

Yeah I know this. Nice try.

Your "chap in Hong Kong" seems to be making money at $22.00 (minus EBay fees) per order delivered. There are a lot of possibilities to explain how he's doing that, but we're off topic.
post #3273 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

You didn't say if your Eye one is a I1pro. Big differences.

I thought that I had. Sorry. Yes I would be using an Eye One Pro...
post #3274 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

QUESTION: What would happen if I input SS's ISF Night values into my Pure mode? Would it produce something similar, or are the ISF adjustments twice that of the non-ISF adjustments? (ie, 120-steps between min/max values as opposed to 60-steps - do I have that right?)

It's not so much the steps for each value. The ISF modes use different base templates, so the values don't matter. There is no way (that I know) to extrapolate settings for any of the ISF modes, into settings that will produce similar results for Pure (or any of the other A/V modes).

Quote:

QUESTION #2: Can I assume that the 141 will produce the same PQ between inputs if I use the same Pure settings across all four HDMI inputs?

Pretty much. There could be some slight variation, but I suspect it would be irrelevant.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3275 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

So, should I avoid the Display LT/Display 2 sensor altogether for my 141? I just wrapped up 200+ hours of break-in, and was looking to buy the CalMan/ControlCal/Display 2 bundle over at Turbe's website this month (three hundred bucks is a price I can justify, post-141 purchase). I've used SpyderTV on my past displays but was unhappy with mixed results (excessive reds on my 55" Hitachi), so I won't even consider using that.

Is using the Display 2 sensor better than no "self-performed" calibration at all? Should I just use DVE Basics for now, and invest in a professional ISF calibration the next time someone is touring the area? FWIW, having the ControlCal bundle interests me as I would like to learn how to do "pro level" calibrations myself, and gosh knows the # of inputs on the 141 would keep me busy for days...

Right now I am using PURE factory mode for watching HDTV (1080i), Blu-rays (1080p/24) and HD DVDs (also 1080p/24). All HDMI signals are routed thru Onkyo 805 and into Pio's HDMI #4 (Input 8). I have not even used DVE yet, and have just made a few minor adjustments to Contrast/Brightness/Color, and am using LOW color temp IIRC. Sharpness is set to -15 per recommendations on this thread. I've also turned off all NR in the Pro Setup menu, Color space = 2, Gamma = 2, others I can't remember at the moment as I'm not home. I know at this time I'm probably far from optimum settings for my viewing environment.

I believe all settings on this thread posted by others are using ISF Day or Night settings, which I obviously can't access without ControlCal. If I use the same values just under the PURE mode, will this get me decent results? Or did I miss a non-ISF setting that someone posted along the way?

Sorry for the questions, I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about the 141's capabilities and possible calibration settings. TIA for any suggestions!

Yes you should avoid the display2/lt. Think about it like this, the red push is wrong for the pioneer sets. If you set the grey wrong then you set your color /tint wrong then you set your cms wrong you end up way out in left field. Take it from me I have done it on a 150fd. I pm'd D-NICE about my problems calibrating the set and he explained the reason to only use the one eye pro or chroma 5. I have a NIST certified chroma 5. The certified ones just come out a couple months ago. At one time the chroma 5 was not as good as the one eye pro because there was no certification and the +/- drift was too great. Now that they are certified they are just as good as the one eye pro, for about a year that is. They must be sent back once a year to be recalibrated.
For your question about the pure mode settings they are really close to the isf night mode on my set. You can get away with doing that. Every set is different though. My settings are totally different that sillysally. Here is a link to my settings to show just how different the the settings can be.

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #3276 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

It's not so much the steps for each value. The ISF modes use different base templates, so the values don't matter. There is no way (that I know) to extrapolate settings for any of the ISF modes, into settings that will produce similar results for Pure (or any of the other A/V modes).

Thanks for the explanation. Though I'm not exactly sure what the "templates" are, I won't bother trying to use ISF settings for my Pure mode.

Quote:

Pretty much. There could be some slight variation, but I suspect it would be irrelevant.

That's what I assumed, but wanted a second opinion - thanks!

The reason I ask is that way I could start off with HDMI #4/Pure mode with settings "A". I could then switch to HDMI #3/Pure mode and use input settings "B", such as the latest and greatest from SS. That way I could do an A-B comparison to see which settings (A or B) were best for my environment. In lieu of unplugging/replugging an HDMI cable to do the testing, I should consider an HDMI splitter so that I can just use the 141 remote's input buttons and instantly compare the differences.

FWIW, I have connected cables to all four HDMI inputs on my 141. Two of them are continuous cables from the Onkyo output all the way to the 141 inputs (HDMI #3 and #4). Only HDMI #4 is used at this time, the other cable is sitting unused behind the AV rack. The other two inputs (HDMI #1 and #2), if used, would be connected with three (yes, three) HDMI cables and upper/lower HDMI wall plates:

Onkyo => HDMI cable => lower wall plate => in-wall HDMI cable => upper wall plate => HDMI cable => Pioneer (old Hitachi)

This chain was used with my old Hitachi TV, but I was seeing dropouts/sparkles onscreen. I suspected that these six points of connections was most likely the culprit. So before wall-mounting the Pioneer, I ran the two new HDMI cables as continuous lengths, and just left the old wall plates/HDMI cables for future uses, such as an Xbox 360 that we'll eventually buy. I have only used HDMI #1 for running the break in disc via my HD-A35, and I haven't done any critical viewing on this input to see if the dropouts/sparkles also appear on the 141.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

Yes you should avoid the display2/lt. Think about it like this, the red push is wrong for the pioneer sets. If you set the grey wrong then you set your color /tint wrong then you set your cms wrong you end up way out in left field. Take it from me I have done it on a 150fd. I pm'd D-NICE about my problems calibrating the set and he explained the reason to only use the one eye pro or chroma 5. I have a NIST certified chroma 5. The certified ones just come out a couple months ago. At one time the chroma 5 was not as good as the one eye pro because there was no certification and the +/- drift was too great. Now that they are certified they are just as good as the one eye pro, for about a year that is. They must be sent back once a year to be recalibrated.
For your question about the pure mode settings they are really close to the isf night mode on my set. You can get away with doing that. Every set is different though. My settings are totally different that sillysally. Here is a link to my settings to show just how different the the settings can be.

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258

Thanks - I'll try yours and SS's settings over the weekend to see how they work for me. And yes, I understand that these settings were tailored to your respective room environments. Though I'm bummed that I'll need to spend a bit more to get the proper calibration sensor. Oh well, it helps the economy, right?

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #3277 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. Though I'm not exactly sure what the "templates" are, I won't bother trying to use ISF settings for my Pure mode.

Oh, sorry. They are the factory baseline settings built into each mode, that determine the character of that particular mode.

Yea - the ISF settings are based on the ISF template and are really only good for them.

Quote:
That's what I assumed, but wanted a second opinion - thanks!

The reason I ask is that way I could start off with HDMI #4/Pure mode with settings "A". I could then switch to HDMI #3/Pure mode and use input settings "B", such as the latest and greatest from SS. That way I could do an A-B comparison to see which settings (A or B) were best for my environment. In lieu of unplugging/replugging an HDMI cable to do the testing, I should consider an HDMI splitter so that I can just use the 141 remote's input buttons and instantly compare the differences.

That would work nicely!

Quote:
FWIW, I have connected cables to all four HDMI inputs on my 141. Two of them are continuous cables from the Onkyo output all the way to the 141 inputs (HDMI #3 and #4). Only HDMI #4 is used at this time, the other cable is sitting unused behind the AV rack. The other two inputs (HDMI #1 and #2), if used, would be connected with three (yes, three) HDMI cables and upper/lower HDMI wall plates:

Onkyo => HDMI cable => lower wall plate => in-wall HDMI cable => upper wall plate => HDMI cable => Pioneer (old Hitachi)

This chain was used with my old Hitachi TV, but I was seeing dropouts/sparkles onscreen. I suspected that these six points of connections was most likely the culprit. So before wall-mounting the Pioneer, I ran the two new HDMI cables as continuous lengths, and just left the old wall plates/HDMI cables for future uses, such as an Xbox 360 that we'll eventually buy. I have only used HDMI #1 for running the break in disc via my HD-A35, and I haven't done any critical viewing on this input to see if the dropouts/sparkles also appear on the 141.

Dropouts/sparkles are definately an HDMI problem. As you suspected, I think you have a few too many connections and/or you cables may be too long overall and/or one or more of them may not be up to spec.

Quote:
Thanks - I'll try yours and SS's settings over the weekend to see how they work for me. And yes, I understand that these settings were tailored to your respective room environments. Though I'm bummed that I'll need to spend a bit more to get the proper calibration sensor. Oh well, it helps the economy, right?

I'd suggest you contact Turbe, get ControlCAL and it's profiles/cable/adapter/etc and input the ISF settings from SS. You may just be MORE than satisfied with that

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3278 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Dropouts/sparkles are definately an HDMI problem. As you suspected, I think you have a few too many connections and/or you cables may be too long overall and/or one or more of them may not be up to spec.

Exactly my thoughts. The in-wall cables are BJC Series 2 (original), 24 ga, silver-plated (4' IIRC), the two external cables are Monoprice 28 ga (3' @ TV end, 6' @ amp end). Wall plates are MP dual-HDMI, with the built-in stress relief. Too many connections, too many opportunities for signal loss/degradation.

FWIW, my new continuous-length cable is the 24ga flat style from Monoprice. With the fairly tight quarters for the rear panel connectors when wall mounted, the flat cables worked just fine in terms of flexibility for making the U-turn up to the wall scoop. Luckily the 10-foot length was just right for the final install. No dropouts/sparkles that I can see so far.

FWIWx2, the attached pix shows the "swiss-cheesed" wall before the TV was mounted - ignore the crazy mess, it looks much better now! :

Above the mount has the following, from left to right:
wall scoop w/ two 10' flat HDMIs hanging out;
PowerBridge Duo outlet (switched from AVR for bias light);
PowerBridge Single outlet (constant power to TV, you can see the lonely 141 cord dangling);
two-gang wallplate with component (left) and dual HDMI (right)

Below the mount (near floor) has the following, left to right:
Single-gang box (top cut off, low voltage cables only!) for the two flat HDMI cables and one pair surround speakers wiring;
PowerBridge outlet wired to Duo above (plugged into AVR switched outlet);
PowerBridge outlet wired to Single above (for TV, plugged into Panamax);
main wall outlet (Panamax plugs in here);
two-gang wallplate (component/HDMIs);
single-gang cable outlet.

You can see my 141 connection template taped right below the wall mount. This helped me know which HDMI cable would go to what connection #, so that I could get my Harmony One pre-programmed... hm, I might have been a bit obsessive to get it all 100% perfect...

Quote:
I'd suggest you contact Turbe, get ControlCAL and it's profiles/cable/adapter/etc and input the ISF settings from SS. You may just be MORE than satisfied with that

You bet! I'm looking forward to see just far the 141 will go...
LL

FREE TIBET! *
post #3279 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 ISF-Night Settings.
I used a Oppo BDP-83 for these settings
Oppo Setup for Blu Ray films 1080P@24
Picture Adjustemnt-Default
Primary Output-HDMI
TV Aspect Ratio-16:9 Wide
TV System-NTSC
Output Resolution-Source Direct or Auto
1080p24 Output-On
DVD 24p Conversion-Off
HDMI Options-Film Bias Mode or Auto, Cue corection Off,
Color Space YCbCr 4:2:2, Deep Color Off, Demmo Mode Off,
A/V Sync 0

Oppo setup for SD Films (480i) with these settings.
Output Resolution-Auto
All the rest of the Oppo setup settings are the same as above.

Picture Settings:
AV Selection: ISF-Night
Contrast: 24
Brightness:-1
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -9

Pure Cinema: 2 (Advance)
Black Level: 0 (Off)
CTI: 0 (Off)
Color Space: 2
Color Temp: 6 (Manual)
Screen size 0 (Dot By Dot)

ACL: 0 (Off)
3DYC: 2
I-P Mode: 2
Text Optimization: 0 (Off)
Intelligent Mode: 0 (Off)
DRE Picture: 0 (Off)

Enhancer Mode: 2
Block NR: 0 (Off)
3DNR: 0 (Off)
Field NR: 0 (Off)
Mosquito NR: 0 (Off)

Power Save Mode: Off/Standard
Orbiter: Mode 0 or you can turn on

RGB Controls
R High:+2
G High: 0
B High:+16
R Low: -1
G Low: 0
B Low: -1

Color Management
R: 0
Y: +1
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: -2

Gamma
10%R 0
10%G 0
10%B 0
20%R 0
20%G 0
20%B 0
30%R 0
30%G 0
30%B 0
40%R 0
40%G 0
40%B 0
50%R 0
50%G 0
50%B 0
60%R 0
60%G 0
60%B 0
70%R 0
70%G 0
70%B 0
80%R 0
80%G 0
80%B 0
90%R 0
90%G 0
90%B 0

Template by D-Nice

BD83141SS.pdf 168.3291015625k . file
post #3280 of 5273 Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Please try the above setting first for any BD player.

Thanks.

ss
post #3281 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

SillySally, what are your thoughts on the 83 compared to the 09 via picture quality on the 141?

Thanx, Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #3282 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Bottom line. The BD-09 has a more processed picture (cleaner) and the BD-83 has a more natural picture, better persevering of how the BD/SD was mastered.

If you look at how I have set up both the BD-83 and BD-09,
you will see I have set my settings very neutral for the BD-83, and use a little more sharper setting for the BD-09.

ss
post #3283 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 ISF-Night Settings.
I used a Oppo BDP-83 for these settings
Oppo Setup for Blu Ray films 1080P@24
Picture Adjustemnt-Default
Primary Output-HDMI
TV Aspect Ratio-16:9 Wide
TV System-NTSC
Output Resolution-Source Direct
1080p24 Output-On
DVD 24p Conversion-Off
HDMI Options-Film Bias Mode, Cue corection Off,
Color Space YCbCr 4:4:4, Deep Color Off, Demmo Mode Off,
A/V Sync 0

Oppo setup for SD Films (480i) with these settings.
Output Resolution-1080P@24
All the rest of the Oppo setup settings are the same.

Picture Settings:
AV Selection: ISF-Night
Contrast: 23
Brightness:-1
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -9

Pure Cinema: 2 (Advance)
Black Level: 0 (Off)
CTI: 0 (Off)
Color Space: 2
Color Temp: 6 (Manual)
Screen size 0 (Dot By Dot)

ACL: 0 (Off)
3DYC: 2
I-P Mode: 2
Text Optimization: 0 (Off)
Intelligent Mode: 0 (Off)
DRE Picture: 0 (Off)

Enhancer Mode: 2
Block NR: 0 (Off)
3DNR: 0 (Off)
Field NR: 0 (Off)
Mosquito NR: 0 (Off)

Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: Mode 0 or you can turn on

RGB Controls
R High:+2
G High: 0
B High:+16
R Low: -1
G Low: 0
B Low: -1

Color Management
R: 0
Y: +1
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: -2

Gamma
10%R 0
10%G 0
10%B 0
20%R 0
20%G 0
20%B 0
30%R 0
30%G 0
30%B 0
40%R 0
40%G 0
40%B 0
50%R 0
50%G 0
50%B 0
60%R 0
60%G 0
60%B 0
70%R 0
70%G 0
70%B 0
80%R 0
80%G 0
80%B 0
90%R 0
90%G 0
90%B 0

Template by D-Nice

Are these settings for when you enter ISF mode or can these be set in the normal picture settings mode? If not, how do you get into the ISF mode?

I just got my 141 3 days ago. Should I not play with the setting for a while or should I make changes now?

I also just received my BD-83 yesterday. Its stil in the box.
Thanks,
Steve
post #3284 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bottom line. The BD-09 has a more processed picture (cleaner) and the BD-83 has a more natural picture, better persevering of how the BD/SD was mastered.

If you look at how I have set up both the BD-83 and BD-09,
you will see I have set my settings very neutral for the BD-83, and use a little more sharper setting for the BD-09.

ss

Peter,

With sharpness at -9 for the -83 settings, isn't that "sharper" than the -15 used in the -09 settings?

It also looks like the B-High is up a few extra clicks, too.

-steve
post #3285 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter,

With sharpness at -9 for the -83 settings, isn't that "sharper" than the -15 used in the -09 settings?

I am sure SS will give his thoughts on this, but as I understand it going to the absolute lowest setting in the sharpness control can actually take away from the video source, or in some cases makes no further difference at lower levels.

I would imagine SS got to where he needed to using the test partern at -9 and there was no need to go lower.
post #3286 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

turbe,
can you give a realistic or apx prediction of when or if you will release the IP version of control cal? If its not going to happen or not for a long time ill likely just jump on the current version and suffer with having to remove my center speaker in order to access the port each time.

thanks
post #3287 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I am sure SS will give his thoughts on this, but as I understand it going to the absolute lowest setting in the sharpness control can actually take away from the video source, or in some cases makes no further difference at lower levels.

I would imagine SS got to where he needed to using the test partern at -9 and there was no need to go lower.

That's where I am getting slightly confused. I am under the impression that the best way to set contrast (for any mode) was to dial it all the way down to -15 and to set Enhancer mode = 1.

Perhaps his settings of Contrast = -9 and Enhancer mode = 2 is giving some level of granularity slightly different (better?).

Peter?

-steve
post #3288 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SS,
I put your BDP 83 in the OP under "Calibration reports".

Id like to put of collection of reports there. If you are open to it send me a PM with the reports you want moved there.

Anyone else who has a useful report please send me a PM to post.
post #3289 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...and suffer with having to remove my center speaker in order to access the port each time.

Why not leave the RS232 cable permanently connected, and access only when needed? Though I don't have ControlCal yet, I connected my six foot RS232 cable before wall mounting my 141, and leave it coiled up behind the TV, hanging from the right mounting arm. I can't see it unless my head is basically against the wall looking behind the TV.

Of course, with my wall mount (Peerless OneMount tilting style, with a few inches of space between TV and wall) I can easily reach behind to pull out the cable. I'm not sure you have that same luxury, in terms of adequate space between your TV and wall. IIRC, yours is on the brick wall, fairly snug?

FREE TIBET! *
post #3290 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not leave the RS232 cable permanently connected, and access only when needed? Though I don't have ControlCal yet, I connected my six foot RS232 cable before wall mounting my 141, and leave it coiled up behind the TV, hanging from the right mounting arm.

Of course, with my wall mount (Peerless OneMount tilting style, with a few inches of space between TV and wall) I can easily reach behind to pull out the cable. I'm not sure you have that same luxury, in terms of adequate space between your TV and wall. IIRC, yours is on the brick wall, fairly snug?

this is possible i supposed. Ill see if I can get a cable and fiddle around with it.
post #3291 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not leave the RS232 cable permanently connected, and access only when needed? Though I don't have ControlCal yet, I connected my six foot RS232 cable before wall mounting my 141, and leave it coiled up behind the TV, hanging from the right mounting arm. I can't see it unless my head is basically against the wall looking behind the TV.

That's exactly what I do

Of course it took me two times (of excruciating pain & frustration) connecting it up to realize that

-steve
post #3292 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm not sure you have that same luxury, in terms of adequate space between your TV and wall. IIRC, yours is on the brick wall, fairly snug?

Quote:

this is possible i supposed. Ill see if I can get a cable and fiddle around with it.

Van - went back to your OP and refreshed my memory of your installation. You definitely have way less space behind your 141! But hopefully you can figure something out...

Late off-topic note here (I am late to the 141 owners club!), but like others have mentioned - you have a beautiful home (I've always loved the look of exposed brick) and incredible view! I used to live in DT Seattle with a great view of Mt. Rainier, Elliott Bay and the Olympic mountains, so I know how you feel looking out your windows. I've driven thru Vancouver a million times, mostly on my way up to Whistler, and Vancouver is one of my favorite cities that I've ever visited - it's absolutely beautiful up there...

FREE TIBET! *
post #3293 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Van - went back to your OP and refreshed my memory of your installation. You definitely have way less space behind your 141! But hopefully you can figure something out...

Late off-topic note here (I am late to the 141 owners club!), but like others have mentioned - you have a beautiful home (I've always loved the look of exposed brick) and incredible view! I used to live in DT Seattle with a great view of Mt. Rainier, Elliott Bay and the Olympic mountains, so I know how you feel looking out your windows. I've driven thru Vancouver a million times, mostly on my way up to Whistler, and Vancouver is one of my favorite cities that I've ever visited - it's absolutely beautiful up there...

thanks for the compliments!

Yes Vancouver (and Seattle) are great cities.
post #3294 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post

Are these settings for when you enter ISF mode or can these be set in the normal picture settings mode? If not, how do you get into the ISF mode?

I just got my 141 3 days ago. Should I not play with the setting for a while or should I make changes now?

I also just received my BD-83 yesterday. Its stil in the box.
Thanks,
Steve

Congrats, you have made two very good choices. You must have been doing your homework.

If you want to use my settings then you must get a copy of Controlcal to enter the ISF mode of your 141.
I only use my ISF modes on my 141. The reason is simply, the ISF modes bring the best out in our great display.

You should be careful on what you view. No side/top bars, no static images for at least the first 150 hours.
There is a very good break-in link that I will include below. The settings and info where done by D-Nice. He is a very good ISF pro calibrator, and also one of my mentors.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14384866

You can use my settings for your BD-83 now, if you want. You can also use my ISF settings for your 141 at any time. But please keep in mind my ISF settings are not break-in settings.

ss
post #3295 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter,

You should look at the whole report and settings. With the BD-83, I am now using Enhancer mode 2 (neutral). As before in other settings with other players like the BD-09, I used Enhancer mode 1 (hard). So by going from Enhancer mode 1(hard) to Enhancer mode 2 (neutral) I needed to change the sharpness setting from -15 to -9. There by maximizing the clarity and minimizing any other bad affect caused by too sharp of a picture.

As far as the Blue high being higher than you might think it should be, I actually kept it lower than some 141 may be set at.
And if you look at my calibration for the Kuro 101 the Blue high is very low.
So what I am saying is not all displays are the same. That"s why there is no substitute for a Hands on ISF Calibration.
The settings you don't want to change is the Green High/Low. And also the 9pt gamma settings.

But please ask if you don't understand something. Its the only way we will get better.

btw. Feel free to play with the blue High setting, I don't think you will mess anything up. Blue is the least problematic color to change, in most cases.

Sorry I see you did pick up on the mode 1 and 2 trick.

ss
post #3296 of 5273 Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's where I am getting slightly confused. I am under the impression that the best way to set contrast (for any mode) was to dial it all the way down to -15 and to set Enhancer mode = 1.

Perhaps his settings of Contrast = -9 and Enhancer mode = 2 is giving some level of granularity slightly different (better?).

Peter?

imo, the best way to go with the BD-83 is keep things as neutral as possible for HD source material. This is the real strength of this BD player for HD 1080p@24 and the Kuro 141. If you come from a Pioneer BD-09 player and then view a BD-83 the PQ may not look at first to be right. Probably what you will think is that the BD-09 has a cleaner picture less background noise and maybe clearer. And imo you are right.
However what you will not see, is a more true to life picture the way that the BD was mastered, when using the BD-09.

And it is for the reasons above why It took me extra time to do this ISF calibration. Plus tiring different power cords and HDMI cables.

And I will add for all you "scientists" out there. I setup the BD-83 using my neutral ISF settings before I calibrated. Those settings were provided by UMR and his very expensive meters and source generator, specially for my 141 . So I guess we all owe him a big thank you for his help.
So to all the "scientists" I hope you can see I really do try to cover all my bases, and try to add to the "science" side of Video and Audio.

ss
post #3297 of 5273 Old 06-05-2009, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks SillySally for that indepth review of a calibrated oppo vs a calibrated 09 on the 141. Much appreciated!! Im going to keep the 09, although theres the panasonics players that make me wonder about chroma resolution. I guess someone said that they produce it better than the 09. You think thats enough to be visible to the eye? or just the meters? im not sure how thats measured actually. Im sure youve thought about this too. Whats your take on it?

Thanx , Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #3298 of 5273 Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should look at the whole report and settings. With the BD-83, I am now using Enhancer mode 2 (neutral). As before in other settings with other players like the BD-09, I used Enhancer mode 1 (hard). So by going from Enhancer mode 1(hard) to Enhancer mode 2 (neutral) I needed to change the sharpness setting from -15 to -9. There by maximizing the clarity and minimizing any other bad affect caused by too sharp of a picture.

What did you notice that was different between Enh=1/Cont=-15 and Enh=2/Cont=-9? I played around with that using the sharpness patterns on both S&M and DVE... Did you use one of these patterns to derive that setting?

Quote:

As far as the Blue high being higher than you might think it should be, I actually kept it lower than some 141 may be set at.
And if you look at my calibration for the Kuro 101 the Blue high is very low.
So what I am saying is not all displays are the same. That"s why there is no substitute for a Hands on ISF Calibration.

I know... sigh. I am going to have to break down and get the meter & SW soon!!!!

Quote:

Sorry I see you did pick up on the mode 1 and 2 trick.

ss

Yea... took me a minute to digest the whole post though

-steve
post #3299 of 5273 Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I will add for all you "scientists" out there. I setup the BD-83 using my neutral ISF settings before I calibrated. Those settings were provided by UMR and his very expensive meters and source generator, specially for my 141 . So I guess we all owe him a big thank you for his help.
ss

Ah... I must have missed it when you first mentioned that Jeff calibrated your display One of the things that D-Nice had said was that the PS-3 and the BDP-83 were "neutral" players. So, my thought was to use them to get my baseline reference (seeing as though I don't have thousands of dollars worth of pattern generators, meters,etc.). That said - how different were the -83 settings from your "neutral ISF" settings?

-steve
post #3300 of 5273 Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Thanks SillySally for that indepth review of a calibrated oppo vs a calibrated 09 on the 141. Much appreciated!! Im going to keep the 09, although theres the panasonics players that make me wonder about chroma resolution. I guess someone said that they produce it better than the 09. You think thats enough to be visible to the eye? or just the meters? im not sure how thats measured actually. Im sure youve thought about this too. Whats your take on it?

Thanx , Chris

I can't say anything about the new panny players, because I don't have one. I did have a panny BD-55 and BD-30 however.

I don't think the chroma issue, if in fact there is a issue, will make much of a difference.
The BD-09 is a great player. It just depends on what you want from a player.

Bottom line. Forget about the panny. If you want something new then get the Oppo.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page