Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit View Post

Thanks, I will check it out. I also haven't ruled out going straight to a good home theater system even though it will blow my budget. Since I have already blown my budget on the TV. Why not?

I was going to get a 58" Panasonic or Sammy until I saw the Elite 141 and lost all will power. If Pioneer had not stopped making them, I probably could have resisted but knowing that they were being phased out pushed me over the edge.

what would your budget be for HT audio if you decided to go all out? Do you have speakers already or are you stating from scratch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Wow, thanks for the post and the pictures. This really helps.

Glad to help out. For kicks, I measured the clear distance from the wall to the rear panel (2.5" thick part):

Top: 4.5"
Bottom: 2.5"

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

what would your budget be for HT audio if you decided to go all out? Do you have speakers already or are you stating from scratch?

If I to put together a property home theatre system, I would expect it to cost about $3000, if I wanted a decent 5.1 system. So, I am considering buying an AV receiver and then getting two crappy speakers and using them temporarily until I can buy better speakers. For a receiver I am thinking either a Pioneer Elite or a Marantz.

I would really like to spend about $2000 but don't know if I can find anything I like for that amount. Yesterday I went into a best buy and they had these Definitive Technology speakers that sounded good to me but three speakers for the front of the room would cost me about $1500.

Any suggestions on speakers? I can pick up a Pioneer Elite receiver for under a $1000.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If I to put together a property home theatre system, I would expect it to cost about $3000, if I wanted a decent 5.1 system. So, I am considering buying an AV receiver and then getting two crappy speakers and using them temporarily until I can buy better speakers. For a receiver I am thinking either a Pioneer Elite or a Marantz.

I would really like to spend about $2000 but don't know if I can find anything I like for that amount. Yesterday I went into a best buy and they had these Definitive Technology speakers that sounded good to me but three speakers for the front of the room would cost me about $1500.

Any suggestions on speakers? I can pick up a Pioneer Elite receiver for under a $1000.

I have last gen's Onkyo (TX-SR805) and absolutely love it. You can try ShopOnkyo.com for good prices on current model refurbs, if you'd even consider Onkyo and/or refurb.

IMO, Polk Audio is a good bang-for-the-buck. I have the RTi series from a few generations ago and am very happy with them. Some were bought new, others from Ebay. FWIW, Polk sells speakersdirectly on Ebay, and do come with some sort of warranty (2 yrs on refurb speakers). You could probably pick up the front three speakers for well under a grand. Maybe consider their RTiA or TSi series?

Just a thought!

FREE TIBET! *
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

I have last gen's Onkyo (TX-SR805) and absolutely love it. You can try ShopOnkyo.com for good prices on current model refurbs, if you'd even consider Onkyo and/or refurb.

IMO, Polk Audio is a good bang-for-the-buck. I have the RTi series from a few generations ago and am very happy with them. Some were bought new, others from Ebay. FWIW, Polk sells speakersdirectly on Ebay, and do come with some sort of warranty (2 yrs on refurb speakers). You could probably pick up the front three speakers for well under a grand. Maybe consider their RTiA or TSi series?

Just a thought!

Yes, I have bought refurbed stuff in the past and have never had a problem with any of it as long as the factory refurbished it. Onkyo is one of the brands that I would buy. I will check out Polk Audio. I have always heard good things about them.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Update on the purchase of my Elite Pro-141.

I found out today from Pioneer that the Elite I bought off of Amazon would not be covered under warranty even though Amazon is a valued added reseller. Amazon was selling the TV for another company. Amazon told me to send an email to the seller and cancel the order. Then gave me the name of a company that was a Pioneer reseller. So, I bought another one for $45.00more. This one is covered under warranty.

The company I bought my second Elite from told me that Pioneer in California had one 141 left in stock. Ten minutes later when I called back, that TV had already be sold. The seller found another 141 in Florida and I bought it. She told me that inventory was almost gone. She has one 151 left and the factory has a refurbished 141 for less money.

If there is anyone out there that still wants one, they are selling out fast.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The company I bought my second Elite from told me that Pioneer in California had one 141 left in stock. Ten minutes later when I called back, that TV had already be sold. The seller found another 141 in Florida and I bought it. She told me that inventory was almost gone. She has one 151 left and the factory has a refurbished 141 for less money.

If there is anyone out there that still wants one, they are selling out fast.

Sad

Kuro is really dying.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Sad

Kuro is really dying.

What?
It's really sad.
But, always look at the brighter side. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia1 View Post

What?
It's really sad.
But, always look at the brighter side. [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]

True...I have one of them
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Update on the purchase of my Elite Pro-141.

I found out today from Pioneer that the Elite I bought off of Amazon would not be covered under warranty even though Amazon is a valued added reseller. Amazon was selling the TV for another company. Amazon told me to send an email to the seller and cancel the order. Then gave me the name of a company that was a Pioneer reseller. So, I bought another one for $45.00more. This one is covered under warranty.

If there is anyone out there that still wants one, they are selling out fast.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Hm what is the second company? I wouldn't mind picking one up but i'd say i'm too late
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

Hm what is the second company? I wouldn't mind picking one up but i'd say i'm too late

The second company is Electroline Electronics in Los Angeles. Their number is 213-745-3800. I confirmed that they are a Pioneer Reseller by calling Pioneer's number 800-421-1404 and punching in Electroline's Zip which is 90015.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM

For the Canadian people Pioneer Canada has over 800 of the 141 in stock great news for anyone thinking of buying the 141.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM

akbash: Since I've been on a losing streak trying to find a new 101 or 141 in Calgary, does that imply that Pioneer Canada will be resupplying retailers, or are they available directly? I apologize if this borders on sales talk, so feel free to PM me.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM

I found a cheap and easy temporary fix for speakers on my soon to arrive 141. I hooked up my computer speakers to my cable box and the sound is probably better than the speakers on the 151 and absolutely better than any of the sound bars I looking at.

My next purchase will probably be a Blue Ray and then a Pioneer Elite AV receiver. Not sure if it is worth it to buy a Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player. They seem a little pricey and I don't think there is as much difference between Blue Ray players as there is between Plasma displays.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM

I found out today that if you buy a Pioneer Elite PRO-141 from a non-authorized reseller, it would still be eligable for a one year warranty if it were purchased with an American Express card.

There are still units out there if someone is looking.

Also, I am being offered a five year additional warranty from the seller which would give me a seven year warranty for $399.00. Since the TV will no longer be produced, the TV would be replaced under the warranty.

Has anyone had problems with their Elite?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

I found out today that if you buy a Pioneer Elite PRO-141 from a non-authorized reseller, it would still be eligable for a one year warranty if it were purchased with an American Express card.

There are still units out there if someone is looking.

Also, I am being offered a five year additional warranty from the seller which would give me a seven year warranty for $399.00. Since the TV will no longer be produced, the TV would be replaced under the warranty.

Has anyone had problems with their Elite?

1200+ hours with no problems here.

If you read through this thread (or any "owners" thread for any product) you will find some war stories, but they seem to be very infrequent for this monitor.

Good luck with your purchase.

Hook
Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2250 and mine has been perfect. Not even a single dead pixal.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM

I am glad to hear that the 141 has been reliable. I am hoping to get 10 years out of it. By then maybe OLED will have become the standard TV format.

I think I will pass on the extended warranty. The extended warranty would give me a 7 years of coverage.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbash View Post

For the Canadian people Pioneer Canada has over 800 of the 141 in stock great news for anyone thinking of buying the 141.

I've been gone a while but did Pio Canada really raise the MSRP by 1K on this unit? 9 months ago I purchased this unit for 3K less than the current MSRP!!

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:

The second company is Electroline Electronics in Los Angeles. Their number is 213-745-3800. I confirmed that they are a Pioneer Reseller by calling Pioneer's number 800-421-1404 and punching in Electroline's Zip which is 90015.

Good luck.

I dropped in on Electroline Electronics and they had several Elites on their floor and said that they know where they can find a few more 141s if anyone is interested.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what the temperature reading should be for temp 1, temp 2, temp 3 and panel when accessing info from the web server?

I would assume this is a question only someone from pioneer could answer or maybe an authorized dealer.

I am asking because I want to know if my ideal lume lighting behind my 141 is pushing the temp up to much after prolonged use.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Sad

Kuro is really dying.

What's sad is knowing if something happens to my 141, there won't be any around to replace it with. I'm just hoping it last long enough for a 60+ OLED to be introduced. I think that is the only thing that will be able to replace it in the future.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

What's sad is knowing if something happens to my 141, there won't be any around to replace it with. I'm just hoping it last long enough for a 60+ OLED to be introduced. I think that is the only thing that will be able to replace it in the future.

hard to image something could go so wrong you would need to totally replace it. Its still possible to repair and warranty it.

That aside...maybe the result of hand picked pats will be in our favor and end up being more valuable then we originally thought
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 ISF-Night Settings.
I used a Oppo BDP-83 for these settings
Oppo Setup for Blu Ray films 1080P@24
Picture Adjustemnt-Default
Primary Output-HDMI
TV Aspect Ratio-16:9 Wide
TV System-NTSC
Output Resolution-Source Direct
1080p24 Output-On
DVD 24p Conversion-Off
HDMI Options-Film Bias Mode, Cue corection Off,
Color Space YCbCr 4:4:4, Deep Color Off, Demmo Mode Off,
A/V Sync 0

Oppo setup for SD Films (480i) with these settings.
Output Resolution-1080P@24
All the rest of the Oppo setup settings are the same.

Picture Settings:
AV Selection: ISF-Night
Contrast: 23
Brightness:-1
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -9

Pure Cinema: 2 (Advance)
Black Level: 0 (Off)
CTI: 0 (Off)
Color Space: 2
Color Temp: 6 (Manual)
Screen size 0 (Dot By Dot)

ACL: 0 (Off)
3DYC: 2
I-P Mode: 2
Text Optimization: 0 (Off)
Intelligent Mode: 0 (Off)
DRE Picture: 0 (Off)

Enhancer Mode: 2
Block NR: 0 (Off)
3DNR: 0 (Off)
Field NR: 0 (Off)
Mosquito NR: 0 (Off)

Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: Mode 0 or you can turn on

RGB Controls
R High:+2
G High: 0
B High:+16
R Low: -1
G Low: 0
B Low: -1

Color Management
R: 0
Y: +1
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: -2

Gamma
10%R 0
10%G 0
10%B 0
20%R 0
20%G 0
20%B 0
30%R 0
30%G 0
30%B 0
40%R 0
40%G 0
40%B 0
50%R 0
50%G 0
50%B 0
60%R 0
60%G 0
60%B 0
70%R 0
70%G 0
70%B 0
80%R 0
80%G 0
80%B 0
90%R 0
90%G 0
90%B 0

Template by D-Nice

Double S -

Finally got some time last night to try out your BD-83 settings, and....wow.

Watched disk 1 of the 3 part John Adams BD set (highly recommended, especially if like me you did not catch this award winning series the first time around on HBO).

Am hoping to get some time this week to drag out CalMAN and my EyeOne Pro to see how these settings measure on my 141.

Thanks again for sharing your work -- really appreciate it!

Hook
Old 06-29-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True...I have one of them

I have two, and contemplating a KRP-500M for the bedroom. This is the last we'll see of the greatness that was the PQ of Pioneer displays, and I don't think I wanna wait another 3-4 years for something that will only be its equal.

I am sure the new displays will offer more features, but features are not what I am after.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris404 View Post

Had my two weeks old 141FD calibrated last night by Dave Abrams (AVICal). I was quiet satisfied with D-Nice Pure mode settings but the ISF modes after the calibration are just awesome

Hello Kris404,

Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and I'm thrilled to hear that you are enjoying you newly calibrated image.

Good Pictures!

Dave
Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Everyone talks about the smooth judder free picture of the 141, but my experience has been anything but smooth. I have extreme judder with my directv hr21 and my elite 05 bluray player. I have tried all kinds of recommended settings with no luck.

Can I get some help to obtain this ultra smooth image?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoehne View Post

Everyone talks about the smooth judder free picture of the 141, but my experience has been anything but smooth. I have extreme judder with my directv hr21 and my elite 05 bluray player. I have tried all kinds of recommended settings with no luck.

Can I get some help to obtain this ultra smooth image?

Is your BDP set to output 1080p/24?
Is you 141 Film Mode set to Advance or Smooth? I believe Smooth does some frame interpolation...can anyone else clarify?

Personally, I have my Pio 51FD set to Source Direct and my 141 set to Film Mode Advance. I too sometimes notice judder on pans, but I believe it's the 24fps judder, not a 3:2 pulldown judder. I didn't seem to notice it to this extent on my previous 55" Hitachi, but to be fair it did not accept a 24fps input (1080i/60 max).

I wonder if the big 60" screen makes judder a bit more obvious?

FREE TIBET! *
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
til

hi, i have 141, how can i get to ISF Mode? and how can I get to turn on the fan on back of my 141? is not on the set menu. help , thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by til View Post

hi, i have 141, how can i get to ISF Mode? and how can I get to turn on the fan on back of my 141? is not on the set menu. help , thanks

fan turns on automatically.

Check my OP on how to access IFS modes. You will ultimately need controlcal and a calibrator to set it properly.