Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked my EZ hours last night and it reported 7 hours, which is about the time we had it running.

I know Pioneer says these are 'factory broken in for 200 hours'.... but do they erase these hours from the TVs time stats? Or did my TV not get a factory break-in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

I know Pioneer says these are 'factory broken in for 200 hours'.... but do they erase these hours from the TVs time stats?

Final panel setup (and later replacement) involves setting all (or several of) the counters to zero.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

What am I missing here?

A service remote.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have instructions showing how to access the service menu of the 141 to determine how much "on" time the monitor has experienced.

If you plan on using ISFccc modes I believe you'll also be able to read the "hour" counter. Feel free to PM for further information.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

A service remote.

\\

You mean i can't check my monitor hours without logging on via my laptop/PC? I thought the service menu was accessible via the standard remote.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought the service menu was accessible via the standard remote.

People had hoped that was case.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

OK - seems like I have a cabling issue which means that I can't access the dang set with a laptop even connected directly to the 141. At least not for a while. It took me several hours of messing around with my network to figure this out.

Does anyone have instructions telling you how to access the 141 through the service menu the old fashioned way by using the remote? I tried hitting display button , waiting three seconds and then used the four directional commands. Nothing happened. The set was off when I did this - then turned it on.

What am I missing here?

Thank you

If you cannot get connected via your home network, you can always get (or make) a "null modem" ethernet cable. That way you can plug your computer directly into the 141, without going through your router/network.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

If you cannot get connected via your home network, you can always get (or make) a "null modem" ethernet cable. That way you can plug your computer directly into the 141, without going through your router/network.

It's actually called a crossover cable. But depending on the NIC one has in their computer, it may not be even necessary to use a crossover cable.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Crossover cable! Yes! That's the correct term... am i showing my age?

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

If you're describing the data encoded in the blanking interval then yes it's normal. If "DTV" is DirecTV and you have HD service then for best PQ you should use Dot by Dot on HD programming. You may also see these "underscan" artifacts in SD commercials in HD programming.

thanks.

In search of video bliss...
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM

My 141 is back in business! The service tech came out today, and that was an experience. He was a pleasant older gentleman with a Russian accent and a wicked intention tremor. Watching him remove all those screws on the panel was just painful. He got the back off, and spent 10 minutes looking at it before calling the office and stated he couldn't find the "trap switch". I thought "ooh this can't be good". Don't think he had ever seen the inside of a 141 before. He then proceeded to replace 3 different circuit boards one at a time until he found the one that was defective (turned out to be the Y drive board.) Success! We put the TV back on the stand and I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack, he made me look like the Hulk (I'm all of 150 pounds.) Now we can catch up on the Tour in all its wonderful HD glory, shweeng!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

You can use the same stand as the 151. Try contacting Pioneer for that.

I contacted pioneer and they told me that the stand for the 151 & 141 are not compatible.

Has anyone actually installed a 151 stand on a 141?

HH
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

I contacted pioneer and they told me that the stand for the 151 & 141 are not compatible.

The CAD drawings for the 141 and 151 suggest that the "standard" stand won't work but I wouldn't automatically defer to Pioneer customer support unless they mentioned something other than the TS01. The 6020 stand can work with the 600M which means it should work with the 141.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

HH

I dont know for sure but I am pretty sure the 151 stand does not work on the 141. For some reason I think the holes on the 141 are further apart then on the 151.

Can some else confirm?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I dont know for sure but I am pretty sure the 151 stand does not work on the 141. For some reason I think the holes on the 141 are further apart then on the 151.

Can some else confirm?

According to the first post here the 151 stand works for the 141:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15960856

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

For some reason I think the holes on the 141 are further apart then on the 151.

Can some else confirm?

I'm not willing to print the drawings 1:1 but a number of critical dimensions are the same. The horizontal spacing is the same and the vertical distance to the lower wall-mount point is the same.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

According to the first post here the 151 stand works for the 141:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15960856

thanks for clearing that up
Old 07-19-2009, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
When I first got my 141 I used my friends 151 stand until I could get it mounted.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks>>>141 & 151 stand info..

HH
Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post

When I first got my 141 I used my friends 151 stand until I could get it mounted.

So it's a keeper, the 151 stand fits the 141 no problems

This is good new as I am willing to sell my 151 stand to a 141 owner and I needed to know for sure that it would fit.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Could other 141 owners verify for me something about black level? If I have my room completely dark with a completely dark screen, it is not completely black. The screen is visibly lighter than the surrounding darkness- is this the way it should be? Also, there is a horizontal portion of the screen in the very center of the screen which appears to be darker on a totally dark screen- is this common as well? I guess I expected the 141 to be as black as the bezel and surrounding darkness in a totally dark room?!? Maybe I'm being too picky, but I recently acquired a Sony 55xbr8 RGB backlit LCD and it does go completely black in a dark room with nothing on the screen- and I do mean completely black! Thanks

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 PM

I can see the screen if there is no signal in a dark room.

However, it seems that if there is anything on the screen at all, like credits or anything, it appears almost impossible to distinguish. not sure if the screen actually gets darker when that happens or if its just an optical illusion due to the eye not being able to see as much black detail when there are competing bright areas.

on another note, when I first turn it on, the screen is is a very noticeable gray, and then it fades down to the normal black level (it does NOT turn completely off). Anybody know why it does that?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Yes, it is only with a completely or near completely dark screen that I notice it being lighter than the bezel or surrounding darkness. Lately, I find myself viewing with some ambient light since a completely dark room makes the less dark screen more noticeable! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a screen lighter than complete darkness! I just didn't really notice it until recently for some reason.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:54 PM

As I always chime in, the answer to the problem of the "not quite as black as the bezel" problem, and others, is to add a bias light to the setup. I use the popular Ideal-Lume, but you could use something else. I love it, and it resolves eye-strain issues for me as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

As I always chime in, the answer to the problem of the "not quite as black as the bezel" problem, and others, is to add a bias light to the setup. I use the popular Ideal-Lume, but you could use something else. I love it, and it resolves eye-strain issues for me as well.

+1 for Ideal - Lume
Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks alot! I'll check out Ideal-Lume! So, I guess my question now would be, does the kuro produce black levels any lower than what I am seeing with a completely dark screen in a completely dark room? Because in certain instances especially with blurays it seems to produce much deeper blacks when the screen isn't completely black. Does having some light present on the screen just give the illusion of deeper blacks with the Kuro? Is the level of deep black that the kuro can display directly related to what deep black level information is on the bluray disc? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM

So do you guys have one of these lamps behind your set or do you have four? If my set is stand mounted, how do you recommend I install the lamps- on the back of the monitor or to the wall behind? From the sound of it, you all are firm believers in using this backlighting! Is this just something you knew to use even before purchasing your 141s? I'm definitely interested in enhancing the blacks, shadow detail and color while also reducing eye strain!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

So do you guys have one of these lamps behind your set or do you have four? If my set is stand mounted, how do you recommend I install the lamps- on the back of the monitor or to the wall behind? From the sound of it, you all are firm believers in using this backlighting! Is this just something you knew to use even before purchasing your 141s? I'm definitely interested in enhancing the blacks, shadow detail and color while also reducing eye strain!

There is a proven science behind it, and a lot of info on the ideal lume site. I have mounted 3 behind my display all run off a triggered outlet. I think there is a pic of the lights behind my display on my first post of this thread.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

Thanks alot! I'll check out Ideal-Lume! So, I guess my question now would be, does the kuro produce black levels any lower than what I am seeing with a completely dark screen in a completely dark room? Because in certain instances especially with blurays it seems to produce much deeper blacks when the screen isn't completely black. Does having some light present on the screen just give the illusion of deeper blacks with the Kuro? Is the level of deep black that the kuro can display directly related to what deep black level information is on the bluray disc? Thanks.

As a 141 owner, I've sometimes wondered this myself. I also see the lighter edges and darker center on completely black scenes (although the panel is no lighter than the night sky outside my window). Because the Kuros have been verified by measurement not to have "floating blacks," I suspect that the answer is that the deeper blacks in scenes that are not totally black are nothing more than the eye's adaptation to the brighter parts of the picture. But on the other hand, few people have the equipment to measure the 141's black levels accurately, so there might be a minor "floating black" issue that has not been detected. I dunno.

Regarding bias lighting, I have a bias light that I originally bought for the 150 that I had and sold when the 141 was available. With the 141, I find I prefer watching with the light off even at the expense of not seeing absolutely perfect blacks. I see too much of the room with the bias light on; it tends to take me away from the program material. YMMV.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 PM

I have a 101, so my screen is smaller, and it is stand mounted in a corner. I only have one light, and it is plenty. Read up and ask questions in the bias lighting thread for specifics, but the general rule of thumb is that the closer it is to the wall, the more you need multiple lights.

There are any number of things which can and do happen which might lead to different perception of black, most of which I probably don't understand. But, for bias lighting, it is simple. If there is ambient light, your pupil allows less light in. Therefore, where the screen emits an extremely low amount of light, you will perceive pure black, rather than a situation where your pupil is dialated, and the screen is contrasted against a whole room of darkness.

Some sources may be of lower quality, resulting in less than ideal blacks. If the display is not calibrated properly, the black levels may not be right. And I believe it is pretty widely accepted that Kuros will have a darker area in the middle of the screen for the first X number of hours (no idea what that number is).