1Likes

post #3601 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
looking for recommendations on right backlighting to apply to my 141? Ideally would like to have em prior to this weekend when I am having a calibration done. I think i would cover at least 3 sides top and lft/rgt, Is the ideal lumen the best option?

The recommendation from calibrator is that I would not need my own copy of controlcal..what do others think?

In search of video bliss...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

looking for recommendations on right backlighting to apply to my 141? Ideally would like to have em prior to this weekend when I am having a calibration done. I think i would cover at least 3 sides top and lft/rgt, Is the ideal lumen the best option?

The recommendation from calibrator is that I would not need my own copy of controlcal..what do others think?

Yes...its the best option.

I dont think you need controlcal after you have someone calibrate your display unless you are the type who likes to tweek things as time goes on or want to start doing your own calibration.
post #3603 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Yes...its the best option.

I dont think you need controlcal after you have someone calibrate your display unless you are the type who likes to tweek things as time goes on or want to start doing your own calibration.

so if i like to tweak things should i purchase it..

post #3604 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would...

I am buying it when/if comes out as an IP version. Just because I want to be able to change the Advanced/Smooth setting from time to time. Eventually the display will need to be recalibrated and a i may teach myself how to do it. Its so inexpensive that its almost not worth questioning it.
post #3605 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would...

I am buying it when/if comes out as an IP version. Just because I want to be able to change the Advanced/Smooth setting from time to time. Eventually the display will need to be recalibrated and a i may teach myself how to do it. Its so inexpensive that its almost not worth questioning it.

thats true. Over time or for next x calibrations I probably will go the DIY route. So, whats the holdback of the ip version? Do i need something special before using current tool..

post #3606 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

yes, the normal Pioneer settings are always available but using ControlCal would be the only access to change any of the ISFccc settings once your calibrator sets them up. Then the ISFccc modes are locked unless you have your own copy of ControlCal to access them when or if you wanted.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #3607 of 5279 Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, whats the holdback of the ip version?

Im not sure...lets ask Turbe.

Turbe, whats the hold up?
post #3608 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

Then the ISFccc modes are locked unless you have your own copy of ControlCal to access them when or if you wanted.

The monitors have access to a limited set of commands via the isf web page. There's a picture in the first post. Without a meter you can set white, black, color, tint and sharpness.
post #3609 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2413 View Post

As a 141 owner, I've sometimes wondered this myself. I also see the lighter edges and darker center on completely black scenes (although the panel is no lighter than the night sky outside my window). Because the Kuros have been verified by measurement not to have "floating blacks," I suspect that the answer is that the deeper blacks in scenes that are not totally black are nothing more than the eye's adaptation to the brighter parts of the picture. But on the other hand, few people have the equipment to measure the 141's black levels accurately, so there might be a minor "floating black" issue that has not been detected. I dunno.

Regarding bias lighting, I have a bias light that I originally bought for the 150 that I had and sold when the 141 was available. With the 141, I find I prefer watching with the light off even at the expense of not seeing absolutely perfect blacks. I see too much of the room with the bias light on; it tends to take me away from the program material. YMMV.

I just wanted to add that the human eye can be finnicky about brightness and contrast in the dark. It takes the eye a while to adjust to darkness, and exposing the eye to any brightness at all will ruin its 'night vision' for quite a while. So if you are staring at a 'black' screen in a dark room, your eye will adjust and that 0.004 ft-L (right?) will look visible. But if there is say white text on the screen, suddenly that 0.004 ft-L seems much darker since the eye will lose some sensitivity in the lower range.

FWIW, I am making my own Bias Lighting setup using CREE LEDs with a dimmable potentiometer, I just need to order some elliptical optics to try out and make sure I can get the necessary spread at the distances I have. I want to be able to get a tighter light spread and dimming for exactly the reason Robert2413 stated: I don't want to see the room lit up, I just want enough brightness on the wall behind the TV to make the black look all black.
post #3610 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 AM

I had the great pleasure of having David Abrams from Avical perform an ISFccc calibration on my display. Prior to having it calibrated the Pure seemed fine although a little dull or hazy depending on how bright my living room is. Post calibration, the ISF modes have a lot more pop and the blacks noticeably blacker. The colors look more natural and not oversaturated. Skin tones also improved.

I highly recommend having a professional calibration done to get the last bit of performance out of these displays. The difference is not exactly night and day difference since the display come pretty good out of the box but the improvement is definitely noticeable.

David is a awesome guy and great calibrator. He takes the time to explain the process and answers every question thoughtfully. He is very thorough and took meticulous notes of the values pre and post calibration. If you are in Los Angeles area and considering a professional calibration definitely give them a call! I couldn't recommend him enough.
post #3611 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to report a good experience with an audio/video calibration involving Chad B at my house in Northern KY (outside of Cincinnati, OH).

Chad arrived right on time after a long drive and then proceeded to beautifully calibrate my -141 plasma, doing four inputs and enabling ISF modes. I find ISF Auto to be my favorite, since ambient light changes significantly in my media room during my favorite viewing time. Like other posters, I was quite happy with the -141 out of the box, but now it is simply fabulous.

Best of all was what he was able to achieve with my SC-09TX mated to Boston Acoustic VRi593 in-wall speakers in a really tough acoustic space. The speakers now disappear into the soundstage, for a very pleasing overall soundfield (markedly improved). Chad spent nearly 8 hours on the total calibration, and it was nearly midnight before he left. He was ruthless in his passion for perfection.

Overall a great experience. Highly recommended.

KDD
post #3612 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im not sure...lets ask Turbe.

Turbe, whats the hold up?

I think you and I have been asking this question for a while

It always seems to go into the abyss.

That's OK, Turbe.. we still love ya man! But, an IP flavor of CC... woo-hoo!!!

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3613 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

I just wanted to add that the human eye can be finnicky about brightness and contrast in the dark. It takes the eye a while to adjust to darkness, and exposing the eye to any brightness at all will ruin its 'night vision' for quite a while. So if you are staring at a 'black' screen in a dark room, your eye will adjust and that 0.004 ft-L (right?) will look visible. But if there is say white text on the screen, suddenly that 0.004 ft-L seems much darker since the eye will lose some sensitivity in the lower range.

FWIW, I am making my own Bias Lighting setup using CREE LEDs with a dimmable potentiometer, I just need to order some elliptical optics to try out and make sure I can get the necessary spread at the distances I have. I want to be able to get a tighter light spread and dimming for exactly the reason Robert2413 stated: I don't want to see the room lit up, I just want enough brightness on the wall behind the TV to make the black look all black.

Thank you for the enlightenment- I feel alot better now knowing why I see what I do! It makes perfect since now as to why the blacks appear to be deeper/inkier when there is also lighted areas present on the screen! I will continue to view the kuro with the dim ambient light from my ceiling fan until I can do more research on back-lighting!

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #3614 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I have not forgotten...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3615 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3616 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 AM

I've been fiddling now with the film modes for a while...and I can't noticeably see any differences when I switch between OFF/STANDARD/SMOOTH/ADVANCED. Can someone confirm that these settings actually do anything? I know from the manual what they are "supposed" to do. Everyone recommends using ADVANCED for 24hz/1080P content, but I can't tell the difference at all between OFF and ADVANCED for any bluray. I want to make sure my set isn't broken or anything. Thanks.
post #3617 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilsal View Post

I had the great pleasure of having David Abrams from Avical perform an ISFccc calibration on my display.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.
post #3618 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkddell View Post

I just wanted to report a good experience with an audio/video calibration involving Chad B at my house in Northern KY (outside of Cincinnati, OH).

Thanks for your audio/video calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Page#2) list linked at the bottom of my post.

post #3619 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakeney View Post

I've been fiddling now with the film modes for a while...and I can't noticeably see any differences when I switch between OFF/STANDARD/SMOOTH/ADVANCED. Can someone confirm that these settings actually do anything? I know from the manual what they are "supposed" to do. Everyone recommends using ADVANCED for 24hz/1080P content, but I can't tell the difference at all between OFF and ADVANCED for any bluray. I want to make sure my set isn't broken or anything. Thanks.

You won't see a difference, as 1080p24 is frame repeated 3:3 to a 72Hz refresh rate regardless of the setting. This eliminates vertical juddering caused by 60Hz refresh of content that is filmed at 24 Hz (I know that Hz and frames per second are not quite identical, but I'm trying to simplify things here...).

For content that is sent in 480i60 format, the film mode settings make a significant difference to most people, and I prefer Advanced for this type of source.

KDD
post #3620 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You won't see a difference, as 1080p24 is frame repeated 3:3 to a 72Hz refresh rate regardless of the setting.

I know this is a controversial subject but according to my measurements you only get 72Hz in Standard and Advance modes. The results copied below are from my post in the "Curiosity" thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16094312

Here are my Pure Cinema refresh frequency results for each setting on the PRO-141FD.

Advance
480i 60 - 71.93 Hz
480p 60 - 71.93 Hz
720p 60 - 71.93 Hz
1080i 60 - 71.93 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Smooth
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz

Standard
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Off
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz
post #3621 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux View Post

I know this is a controversial subject but according to my measurements you only get 72Hz in Standard and Advance modes.

What's the controversial bit, 1080p/24 at 60Hz when FilmMode is off?
post #3622 of 5279 Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I have not forgotten...

A response to the IP version question?!?!?!? Wow! Can I be first in line to be a paying beta tester? LOL
post #3623 of 5279 Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony324 View Post

Hey guys,
My bezel was finally changed today. The tech came and to his surprise, unlike most of the Pioneers he's worked on, the back panel DID NOT have to to come off in order to put on a new bezel!! 5 screws at the bottom of the panel came out and a few on the back and the bezel detached easily! It has a clear proective plastic film around the whole front frame---its not noticable unless you go up close... Pioneer Can. recommended I keep the protective film on it until I move to a house (I'm in a condo apt.) and then remove the film. It doesn't have quite the same shine---more of a matter finish now.
The installation co. who scratched my bezel when installing it on the wall refuses to take any responsibility. I thought this would be covered by Pioneer since the installers were Pioneer Elite dealers so I informed Pioneer Can. of the problem the very next day after it was installed (about 2 months ago now).
The installer co. said;
"We didn't scratch it...maybe you did! And why did you call Pioneer?? That would be like you have a faulty cigarette lighter and calling Ford for assistance! The case is closed we're not doing antyhing for you!"
The service tech and the installers I called to help take it off the wall ALL agreed that someone's ring would only leave a scratch that big and it's exactly where the installers would be grabbing the panel to mount it.
To top it all off... I am not a custom installation expert.... but... I thought it was funny that I had a visible open hole in the wall where the cables came out. The installer co. I had come out today put in 2 face plates free of charge and said that should have been included and done with the install.
Anyways, for all you members in Ontario, Canada DO NOT use Multi-Media Systems (or Media Multicom as they are the same co. with 2 different names).
Panel is up on the wall now and looks great.
Sorry for the long post... just want to know what you guys would do. ALSO---the install co. STILL HAS NOT ISSUED ME A RECEIPT FOR THEIR WORK WHICH WAS DONE NEARLY 2 MONTHS AGO!! (and I keep calling them bugging them for it!)

So how did the TV looked without the bezel? A bit "retro"?
post #3624 of 5279 Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:

You won't see a difference, as 1080p24 is frame repeated 3:3 to a 72Hz refresh rate regardless of the setting. This eliminates vertical juddering caused by 60Hz refresh of content that is filmed at 24 Hz (I know that Hz and frames per second are not quite identical, but I'm trying to simplify things here...).

For content that is sent in 480i60 format, the film mode settings make a significant difference to most people, and I prefer Advanced for this type of source.

KDD

Quote:

I know this is a controversial subject but according to my measurements you only get 72Hz in Standard and Advance modes. The results copied below are from my post in the "Curiosity" thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16094312

Here are my Pure Cinema refresh frequency results for each setting on the PRO-141FD.

Advance
480i 60 - 71.93 Hz
480p 60 - 71.93 Hz
720p 60 - 71.93 Hz
1080i 60 - 71.93 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Smooth
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz

Standard
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 71.93 Hz

Off
480i 60 - 59.94 Hz
480p 60 - 59.94 Hz
720p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080i 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 60 - 59.94 Hz
1080p 24 - 59.94 Hz

Sorry everyone,

I spoke on reflex, having had one of the 8G KUROs (which behaved differently, I believe due to a bug) prior to my current -141. There is ample discussion of the 72 Hz/ 60Hz issue in these threads by people with more experience than me--I'll defer to their explanations!

KDD
post #3625 of 5279 Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

What's the controversial bit, 1080p/24 at 60Hz when FilmMode is off?

Correct. One forum member insists that a 24P signal will display at 72Hz even when FilmMode is off.
post #3626 of 5279 Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct. One forum member insists that a 24P signal will display at 72Hz even when FilmMode is off.

that forum member is wrong...for both that and smooth
post #3627 of 5279 Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Since I kind of consider you all brothers of mine with respect to kuro, do you all have any experience using Ionic Breeze Quadras for reducing surface dust and purifying the air? I am curious if anyone has or has had these before?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
post #3628 of 5279 Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had one. Yeah it got dirty but I really didn't notice an overall difference in my living room.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
post #3629 of 5279 Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

Since I kind of consider you all brothers of mine with respect to kuro, do you all have any experience using Ionic Breeze Quadras for reducing surface dust and purifying the air? I am curious if anyone has or has had these before?

Isnt the Ionic breeze the product that sharper image released which later was proven to not actually work and lead to the demise of Shaper Image all together?

Air purification in important and i have a few in my place. If you are going to get one I would make sure it has a HEPA certified filter.
post #3630 of 5279 Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

I have had three of those in the house for years. I don't think they are very effective. I would not place them too close to my av equipment because of possible RFI or some other electrical interference.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page