Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3871 of 5275 Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 141 last week, and have been running the break-in disk most of the time, but doing some movie and TV viewing. I have noticed anytime that there is some white on the screen, that I experience quite significantly the "rainbow effect" that is a problem with DLP rear-projection TVs. It is worst when there is white next to black (the scrolling white bar video pattern, for example). Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5275 Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Hi everyone,

My house suffered a burst pipe and flooded, including my media room. I don't know yet how much damage the -141 suffered, possibly as little as a few drops splashed on the front (all that is visible), possibly much worse. Needless to say, it is currently down in a safe place, while the insurance people are having most of the drywall and carpet torn out (speakers were in-wall and in-ceiling, and were a total loss). I need to have the plasma professionally checked--do I need to have a certified Pioneer repair tech evaluate it?

If it is (sob!) destroyed, does anyone know of a source for a replacement?

All condolences accepted...

KDD
post #3873 of 5275 Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkddell View Post

Hi everyone,

My house suffered a burst pipe and flooded, including my media room. I don't know yet how much damage the -141 suffered, possibly as little as a few drops splashed on the front (all that is visible), possibly much worse. Needless to say, it is currently down in a safe place, while the insurance people are having most of the drywall and carpet torn out (speakers were in-wall and in-ceiling, and were a total loss). I need to have the plasma professionally checked--do I need to have a certified Pioneer repair tech evaluate it?

KDD

If you can clean the screen and it turns on I would say everything is probably ok and you dont need to have it checked.
post #3874 of 5275 Old 09-12-2009, 04:03 AM

don't worry too much...make sure you let it dry completely(2-3 days) before trying to power on...
(I mean if you suspect there might be some water into the set)

we wash electronic board all the time with water...just have to let it dry before powering them
post #3875 of 5275 Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I don't know yet how much damage the -141 suffered...

Ouch! Any updates?

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #3876 of 5275 Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Liked: 12
I'm looking forward to using the 141 this weekend for a complete first season marathon viewing of the bd "Sons of Anarchy"! I used some of my BB reward zone credit from the 141 purchase to purchase this bd! Its 1.78:1, so I will really be able to enjoy the 60" of sweetness! It also has dts hd master as well! Hoo Yah! Anyone else lately enjoy any bds that look especially good on the 141?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #3877 of 5275 Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Oh, just... all of them

Everything looks better on the 141

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #3878 of 5275 Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

I was all set to buy the 141 "monitor" over the 151 "Television" b/c my wall mounted, HT connected, FiOS-content provided Plasma doesn't need all the extras and would look downright cluttered with an extra set of speakers on the wall, but then i came across a comparison matrix of the two models and I note that the 141 lacks S-Video input.

from my experience with my trusty Fujitsu P50HA40US I have found that SD feeds look better over S-Video than component. i shudder to think what would happen if an SD feed is piped through an all digital HDMI input.

I do note that the 141 does have 1 composite cable, but i have not used such a s thing in YEARS.

although my HD/SD habits are now closer to 80/20 -- and the ratio will probably increase in favor of HD once FiOS is up and running -- there are a number of programs that I like to watch every now and again that simply are not available in anything other than 480i and i don't think the HDMI connection will handle them optimally.

Plus, black vertical bars on the left and right of the TV are a pet peeve of mine. on my fijutsu, if it is an HD channel showing SD programing, the black bars persist (and it looks atrocious!). Switch over to the SD feeds, black bars are gone, and the PQ has improved noticeably.

to give you an idea of what kind of programing i am referring to:

1. MTV, VH1, and other music channel programing. yes i know there is Palladia -- which often looks amazing -- but i mean more like the cheesy "celeb-reality" shows that were filmed in SD -- how can i watch my Flavor of Love reruns off the HD feed? they look awful...

2. Most of the older shows on the CW -- particularly those that came form the old UPN, like Americas Next Top Model.. i'd like to know when, if ever, this show will trade up to HD cameras. again, black bars on the sides, terrible PQ off an HD feed. switch to the SD feed piped in thru S-Video, PQ goes way up!

3. Shows like Access Hollywood, or the Insider (i think Entertainment Tonight is run in HD these days...) but i forget.

anyway i could list more... but you get the idea...

i have checked the current lineup of FiOS offerings and found that they now list MTV and VH1 both in HD (which Time Warner, my current provider, lacks) but TW is running all these commercials about how this is not true HD and is just upconverted somehow. and I suspect the upconversion done by MTV is not all that high-quality, like say what HBO has done with some of their "older" SD movies

obviously i am aware that most "custom installations" don't include being able to switch inputs in order to watch the same content -- everything is dumbed down so that if you want to watch cable, you hit the cable button, for DVD you hit the DVD button etc etc etc. but i find it necessary to switch to an SD input when watching an SD source.

so i was wondering how the rest of you feel about this or how you handle this particular issue. does anyone run a composite feed for SD content? have the upscalers in the Pio advanced to the point since 2005 that they have surpassed what the Fujitsu can do? (which, IMnsHO is not very satisfactory)

i have not run anything on my Fujitsu's HDMI port -- it was set up for a Blue-ray player/PS3 that I never got/promptly sold after launch without ever opening so the wire has been hanging their all lonely and useless -- but i suspect that SD feeds look very poor over HDMI.

is their any way to add an S-Video port to the 141? i remember reading about some Panny models years ago that you could add some (rather expensive) modules to add missing ports/features.

seems like a waste to buy a 151 and strip the speakers (not even sure that is possible) and who needs to wait 10 seconds for the useless tuner to boot?

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM
post #3879 of 5275 Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

Anyone else lately enjoy any bds that look especially good on the 141?

My fiancee and I watched the first two POTC last weekend, and they both looked great. We'll be watching the third one sometime this weekend, which neither of us have seen...

I also watched WallE (like how I copied the dot from HighDefDigest website? ) about a month ago and the PQ was absolutely amazing. And that was before the calibration by Michael Chen - can't wait to watch it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

Oh, just... all of them

Umm - yeah, what he said!

FREE TIBET! *
post #3880 of 5275 Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

is their any way to add an S-Video port to the 141?

Would the 56 cent RCA-to-S Video adapter from Monoprice do the trick? I honestly haven't used anything less than component video in many, many years. And on our 141, it's extremely rare that we watch any non-HD source...

FREE TIBET! *
post #3881 of 5275 Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Would the 56 cent RCA-to-S Video adapter from Monoprice do the trick? I honestly haven't used anything less than component video in many, many years. And on our 141, it's extremely rare that we watch any non-HD source...

Does anyone on this forum use the composite inputs for SD feeds (or anything else?)
post #3882 of 5275 Old 09-19-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

I was all set to buy the 141 "monitor" over the 151 "Television" b/c my wall mounted, HT connected, FiOS-content provided Plasma doesn't need all the extras and would look downright cluttered with an extra set of speakers on the wall, but then i came across a comparison matrix of the two models and I note that the 141 lacks S-Video input.

from my experience with my trusty Fujitsu P50HA40US I have found that SD feeds look better over S-Video than component. i shudder to think what would happen if an SD feed is piped through an all digital HDMI input.

I had a Fujitstu P50HA51US before the 141. SD via HDMI to the 141 is MUCH better then any SD feed to the Fujitsu. The 141 is a better display in every possible way. Use HDMI and dont look back.
post #3883 of 5275 Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM

I need some help rigging up a temporary audio solution for my BD390 Blu Ray player and my Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD.

I hooked up my Bose Media Mate computer speakers to my 141 and connected them the back of my cable box. It works fine for now but will eventually be replaced by a home theatre system when I have the budget.

The Bose Media Mates have an A-B switch on them, so I just have to use the switch in order to change the sound source between the cable box and BD player. However, the remote control will only control the cable box and not the BD390.

I am just looking for a cheap temporary solution that works with a remote control. My wife is always complaining that the sound on the BD Player is either too loud or not loud enough. I am getting a little tired of jumping and running across the room every five minutes to adjust the sound.
post #3884 of 5275 Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

KDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

If you can clean the screen and it turns on I would say everything is probably ok and you dont need to have it checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 View Post

don't worry too much...make sure you let it dry completely(2-3 days) before trying to power on...
(I mean if you suspect there might be some water into the set)

we wash electronic board all the time with water...just have to let it dry before powering them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Ouch! Any updates?

Hi all,

Great news! Though the status light is not working (making me think the panel was dead...) it does power up and display a picture, which looks just fine on casual inspection. So I think the damage is minimal. I only wish the rest of the media area could say the same...

Two months on the house rebuild, but I'll happily post pictures of the resurrected space when I have them. In the meantime enjoy the football season on your KUROs (I'm stuck watching a Toshiba 32" LCD for now)

Regards,

KDD
post #3885 of 5275 Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM

for those with problem for access of the sign owner page
got this reply from pio

"Unfortunately, we are experiencing an issue with our database which drives the Signature Series Owner Registration page. Our IT technicians areworking to resolve the issue."
post #3886 of 5275 Old 09-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Damn stuck red pixel.

Its really starting to bother me. I've tried numerous pixar movies. Its on the rt side about 12 inches down and 6 inches from the right bezel.

Its stuck on red. During black scenes you cannot see it. ALso certain blue scenes it goes away. But it really sticks out on a lit backround.

My whole purpose of buying this particular set was because i was told the parts were pre tested. Is that just a marketing ploy?
Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this irrating hemeroid?
post #3887 of 5275 Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinsdad View Post

Its stuck on red. During black scenes you cannot see it.

Just to be clear, if it goes out it's not stuck on, one or more of the other sub-pixel is dead. Full field color patterns will help you figure out which one(s). Sounds like green.

From your manual: page 81/82

Quote:

Pixel Information
Plasma screens show pictures using pixels. Pioneer flat panel displays contain a very large number of pixels. The size of the panel determines the number of pixels. With the PRO-141FD/PRO-101FD, there are over 6.2 million pixels in the 50/60 panel. All Pioneer display panels are manufactured using a very high level of ultra-precision technology and undergo individual quality control.

Cautions and Warnings
In rare cases, some pixels can be permanently switched off, or on, resulting in either a black or colored pixel permanently fixed on the screen. This effect is common to all plasma displays because it is a consequence of the technology.

Of course those of us with a dead sub-pixel (like me) may feel rare isn't the right adjective here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3888 of 5275 Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Bodsom...If you are living with yours then I'm ok living with mine.

I just expected more from a "signature" standpoint.

I have a 6020 downstairs which is Free of any stuck or dead pixels.
post #3889 of 5275 Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Folks, can anyone of you describe how does a streak on a Plasma screen look? Is it typically visible in bright scenes? Does it mostly appear on fast screen pans? Can someone post a picture of a streak?
post #3890 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM

My 141 has a horizontal streak or band which is only visible on a uniformly bright screen like pure white or light blue sky and I can see it more prominantly during vertical pans. I am no expert, but I have been told by a professional calibrator that this is normal and a common characteristic of Plasma displays- is yours like my description or is it different or more visible?

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #3891 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM

My 141FD was installed today. OMG, it is sooo nice. I feel like I'm looking through a window on real live performances. This 60" is replacing my 43" Pio plasma and I thought that was pretty decent.

Now it's time to run the thing for 150 hours prior to the calibration but if it's this good now, can only imagine how good it will be. Pinch me, I must be dreaming. LOL
post #3892 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

My 141FD was installed today. OMG, it is sooo nice. I feel like I'm looking through a window on real live performances. This 60" is replacing my 43" Pio plasma and I thought that was pretty decent.

Now it's time to run the thing for 150 hours prior to the calibration but if it's this good now, can only imagine how good it will be. Pinch me, I must be dreaming. LOL

Congrats.

Enjoy.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #3893 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

Though it's hard to believe, the calibration will be worth it.

KDD
post #3894 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Are there any recommended ISF technicians to calibrate my 101FD located in Victoria BC Canada? I am very pleased with the picture quality, but I am always on the lookout for someone to unlock the ISF modes and do a professional calibration.
post #3895 of 5275 Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

My 141 has a horizontal streak or band which is only visible on a uniformly bright screen like pure white or light blue sky and I can see it more prominantly during vertical pans. I am no expert, but I have been told by a professional calibrator that this is normal and a common characteristic of Plasma displays- is yours like my description or is it different or more visible?

I don't see any horizontal bands. Only vertical and that too very very subtle. And yes, I see them only on plain whites during pans.
post #3896 of 5275 Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Though it's hard to believe, the calibration will be worth it.

Agreed! After a lengthy delay, I've finally retrieved all the ISF values from my calibration last month, and should be posting later today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggynutz View Post

Are there any recommended ISF technicians to calibrate my 101FD located in Victoria BC Canada? I am very pleased with the picture quality, but I am always on the lookout for someone to unlock the ISF modes and do a professional calibration.

Michael Chen did mine, who's based out of Alberta (iirc). I believe he does "west coast tours" regularly, so you might want to contact him about his upcoming schedule.

Michael did a great job calibrating my 141, squeezing out the last bit of performance that the ISF settings I "borrowed" from Sillysally did not reach in my viewing environment. BTW, I do have my own copy of ControlCAL in case you were wondering...and would recommend you purchase also, if you want to access the ISF modes post-calibration.

FREE TIBET! *
post #3897 of 5275 Old 09-24-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post
If you and Michael are cool with that... post your 141 settings. Always interested to see how they compare to others and my own.
Well, it’s been a while since I offered to post up my ISF calibration settings on my 141 to everyone on the thread, so if anyone is still interested... Feel free to review/critique/use with your own setup, though YMMV due to differences in room environment, equipment, cabling, seating position, etc. But you knew that anyway...

Michael Chen performed the calibration back on the evening of Aug. 16. He used a Minolta Chroma Master CS200 sensor along with his ISF calibration and ControlCAL software, and various calibration discs. He spent about five hours at the house, both performing the calibration along with the educational portions of just what was being done and why. I truly enjoyed the educational part as I learned more about certain topics that I was not the familiar with.

All video sources routed thru Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver, with a single HDMI cable (Monoprice HDMI 1.3a 24ga flat cable, 10’ long) to the 141.

He first calibrated PURE mode using the Pioneer 51FD BD player, using DVE HD Basics Blu-ray disc, along with his own DVD sampler disc of test patterns and reference images. During the initial calibration efforts of the 141’s PURE mode, he made the following adjustments to the BD player:

Pioneer BDP-51FD (fw 1.32) set to 1080p/24
Source Direct, High-speed, Memory 1 (I had it previously set to Professional, IIRC)
Detail – two clicks towards FINE
White Level: -3
Black level: 0
Gamma: +1
Hue: 0
Chroma level: 0
(other settings not listed above were left @ factory settings, or grayed out)

Final PURE mode settings for HDMI 4 (Input #8):
Contrast: 40
Brightness: -1
Color: +8
Tint: Green +2
Sharpness: -9
Color temp: Manual
WB Red High: -10
WB Green High: -7
WB Blue High: 0
WB Red Low: 0
WB Green Low: 0
WB Blue Low: 0
Gamma: 1

Film mode: Advanced
Text mode: Off
Intelligence: Off
DRE picture: Off
Black level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer mode: 1 (Hard)

CTI: Off
Color space: 2

Color management:
Red: 0
Yellow: 0
Green: 0
Cyan: 0
Blue: 0
Magenta: 0

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

3DYC: Mid
I-P Mode: 2 (standard)
Drive mode: 1
Game control pref: Off

Other pertinent info:
Screen size: Dot by Dot
Energy save: Standard
Orbiter: Off

mak99 pre report.pdf 284.5107421875k . file

mak99 post report.pdf 245.384765625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mak99 post report.pdf (245.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf mak99 pre report.pdf (284.5 KB, 0 views)

FREE TIBET! *
post #3898 of 5275 Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Please do not repost these setting, thanks.

ISF - Day calibrated settings

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 / ISF-Day Settings
Pioneer BDP-51FD (fw 1.32), 1080p/24, same video settings as PURE mode above

Per Sillysally's reminders, you will need ControlCAL to unlock ISF Modes. I have listed the items below in order shown via ControlCAL's data: Profile 1 (P1), then Profile 2 (P2) values - left column (LC) first, then right column (RC):

AV Selection: ISF-Day
(P1/LC)

Color MGMT R: 0
Color MGMT Y: +1
Color MGMT G: 0

Color MGMT C: -1
Color MGMT B: 0
Color MGMT M: -1

(P1/RC)
Color: +6
Tint: +4
Color Temp: 6 (manual)

R-High (Drive): -11
G-High (Drive): -8
B-High (Drive): +6

R-Low (Cutoff): +1
G-Low (Cutoff): +1
B-Low (Cutoff): 0

(P2/LC)
Black level: 0 (off)

ACL: 0 (off)
I-P mode: 2
Intelligent mode: 0 (off)

Enhancer mode: 1 (hard)
Block NR: 0 (off)
Field NR: 0 (off)

(P2/RC)
Pure Cinema: 2 (Advanced)
CTI: 0 (off)
Color temp: 6 (manual)

3DYC: 2
Text optimization: 0 (off)
DRE picture: 0 (off)

Screen size: 0 (Dot by Dot)
3DNR: 0 (off)
Mosquito NR: 0 (off)

Gamma points:
10% R: 0
10% G: 0
10% B: 0
20% R: 0
20% G: 0
20% B: 0
30% R: 0
30% G: 0
30% B: 0
40% R: 0
40% G: 0
40% B: 0
50% R: 0
50% G: 0
50% B: 0
60% R: 0
60% G: 0
60% B: 0
70% R: 0
70% G: 0
70% B: 0
80% R: 0
80% G: 0
80% B: 0
90% R: 0
90% G: 0
90% B: 0

NOTE: I am using this ISF-Day mode for most movie watching, even at night. On occasion I will toggle over to ISF-Night mode if I think the screen is too bright for the source at hand, though this does not happen often. ISF-Day is an amazing mode!!

FREE TIBET! *
post #3899 of 5275 Old 09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

ISF - Night calibrated settings

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 / ISF-Night Settings

Per Sillysally's reminders, you will need ControlCAL to unlock ISF Modes. I have listed the items below in order shown via ControlCAL's data: Profile 1 (P1), then Profile 2 (P2) values - left column (LC) first, then right column (RC):

AV Selection: ISF-Night
(P1/LC)
Contrast: 24

Color MGMT Y: 0

Color MGMT C: 0
Color MGMT M: 0

(P1/RC)

B-High (Drive): 0

R-Low (Cutoff): -1
G-Low (Cutoff): 0
B-Low (Cutoff): -1

(P2/LC)

(P2/RC)
Pure Cinema: 2 (Advanced)

Gamma points:
10% R: -5
10% G: -5
10% B: -5
20% R: -5
20% G: -5
20% B: -5
30% R: -5
30% G: -5
30% B: -5
40% R: -5
40% G: -5
40% B: -5
50% R: -5
50% G: -5
50% B: -5
60% R: -5
60% G: -5
60% B: -5
70% R: -5
70% G: -5
70% B: -5
80% R: -5
80% G: -5
80% B: -5
90% R: -5
90% G: -5
90% B: -5

^^ I never noticed these -5 Gamma values until I downloaded the data last night. I don't recall seeing any other calibration postings showing something similar...

FREE TIBET! *
post #3900 of 5275 Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

ISF - Auto calibrated settings

Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 / ISF-Auto Settings

AV Selection: ISF-Auto
(P1/LC)

Color MGMT Y: 0

Color MGMT C: 0
Color MGMT M: 0

(P1/RC)

B-High (Drive): 0

R-Low (Cutoff): 0
G-Low (Cutoff): 0
B-Low (Cutoff): 0

(P2/LC)

(P2/RC)
Pure Cinema: 0 (off) *

Gamma points:
10% R: 0
10% G: 0
10% B: 0
20% R: 0
20% G: 0
20% B: 0
30% R: 0
30% G: 0
30% B: 0
40% R: 0
40% G: 0
40% B: 0
50% R: 0
50% G: 0
50% B: 0
60% R: 0
60% G: 0
60% B: 0
70% R: 0
70% G: 0
70% B: 0
80% R: 0
80% G: 0
80% B: 0
90% R: 0
90% G: 0
90% B: 0

* I'm not sure why Pure Cinema is set to off for ISF-Auto. I think it might have been because I was going to use this mode only for watching HDTV via Comcast only during daylight hours. Truthfully, I rarely use this mode, plus my light sensor is turned off anyways

FREE TIBET! *
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page