1Likes

post #3961 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

If you mean you want it higher then the 6020 stand will lift it high enough to clear an undermount speaker.

See Adapting the Pioneer 6020 stand for use with the KRP-600M (A Guide with Pics) or in your case not adapting.

fantastic - thanks very much.

if anyone has a 6020 stand for sale, please send me a pm.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieU
I went with a local authorized dealer just because of the delivery horror stories I read from those ordering off the Internet. Granted, they are probably just a small fraction of all those that have purchased their Kuros that way, but I wasn't willing to take a chance since these monitors are becoming rare.

As far as warranty is concerned, when I had my Pioneer AVR in for service, they required a copy of the original invoice. I imagine that they do the same with the Kuros. Whether they check the dealer listed on it before authorizing a warranty repair, I can't say, but the invoice tells all if they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonHung
I'd pay the $500. It's not worth risking thousands just to save what amounts to be a few bucks in relative terms. Also, I would be highly suspicious of a dealer that tells you what they told you. I find it hard to even swallow a scenario where just registering your panel with Pioneer, even though you it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer, would activate the manufacturer's warranty. If this were the case, you would see a mad rush of people here on the forums doing it. Just based on this alone, lots of red flags are being raised with me about doing any business with them.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Guess I'll go with the authorized dealer. I shouldn't be "penny-wise, pound-foolish," as they say in England.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #3963 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM
CFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

If it's just a failed back-up it might be relatively benign although if the primary memory has to be replaced the panel state will be lost. I wouldn't believe that that's the only problem though without a service call. Service would normally be in-home but I've heard that there's a maximum distance from the service facility. A call to Pioneer will get it sorted out.

What does it mean that if the primary memory fails and the panel state will be lost?
post #3964 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Guess I'll go with the authorized dealer. I shouldn't be "penny-wise, pound-foolish," as they say in England.

you can still get a good deal on the from an authorized dealer.. many who have one or two in stock basically want to get rid of them. the wont give them away for free, but u can get a nice deal off list price.
post #3965 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

What does it mean that if the primary memory fails and the panel state will be lost?

I don't know. The electronics may do things based on age (as counted by pulses) and that's something that stored in the EEPROM. When certain components are replaced various counters are zeroed by the service tech.

I'm a bit unsure why you don't just get it fixed but anything I might say about side-effects is speculative and shouldn't be considered a professional opinion. And of course that includes speculation about what might be the root cause of your error indication.
post #3966 of 5275 Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM

I just thought that I would relay an amazingly frustrating experience that I had tonight. Because of where I am posting, you can probably guess the ending.

So, we suffered a power outage for a few hours tonight. I have most of my electronics on battery backups of one sort or another. As luck would have it, I had the bias light for my TV plugged into the battery backup (rather silly, but it was useful to have some source of light).

As time went on, the battery backup was showing a progressively decreasing amount of battery time left, so I was powering off and/or unplugging just about everything, including the TV.

Soon after I had unplugged my receiver, the power comes back on. Hooray, I can go about watching TV and web surfing. Or not... my internet connection wouldn't work.

I checked everything:
- DSL Modem, check
- Network switch, check
- Wireless router, check
- Main gateway...on, but looking more closely, I was getting an error with regard to the fact that the IP address 192.168.1.1 was already taken. Nothing had changed in the settings, but I futzed with settings every which way. I could ping 192.168.1.1 from various machines, but it obviously wasn't the gateway. I start unplugging devices (Ooma VOIP adapters, other computers, etc.).

Finally, I try something that I should have tried before, which was to go to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser (I had tried, but with an https: prefix, because that is what my gateway uses). And what comes up? MY KURO'S WEB INTERFACE!

So, the Kuro or whatever DHCP server it hit decided that it would be a good idea to give 192.168.1.1 to the television. To me, that is baffling. I just thought that I would share, in case anyone else happens to run into a situation like this where their television prevents them from connecting to the internet.

I have never experienced anything like this. It is almost enough to make me want to disconnect the Kuro from the network, but instead I just gave it a static IP address.
post #3967 of 5275 Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yikes....

the way your story started I thought it was going to end a LOT worse.
post #3968 of 5275 Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

- Main gateway...on, but looking more closely, I was getting an error with regard to the fact that the IP address 192.168.1.1 was already taken.

These sorts of problems can be hard to debug and they're more common than they should be due to many vendors using the same default addresses. 1.1 is a particular favorite.
post #3969 of 5275 Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
til

i have 141, where can i buy pioneer demostration disk blue ray?, one with the girl, fish, flowers, etc,,, thanks
post #3970 of 5275 Old 10-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by til View Post

i have 141, where can i buy pioneer demostration disk blue ray?, one with the girl, fish, flowers, etc,,, thanks

ebay but you can also download from demoworld.eu (but at a lower bitrate, I think)
post #3971 of 5275 Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Yikes....

the way your story started I thought it was going to end a LOT worse.

Precisely my thoughts!

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #3972 of 5275 Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Precisely my thoughts!

Ok. I guess the power outage left a lot of room to assume worse. Everyone give your signature series a big hug tonight and tell it how much you love it, because the next time this story is told, the ending could be worse.
post #3973 of 5275 Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I'm reposting this owner's report here so that others will be able to read it. It's included in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguru View Post

UMR recently calibrated my Pioneer Elite Pro 141 and the results were spectacular! He arrived right on time and started on the video calibrations getting them perfect. He also calibrated my audio and when he was done I liked his audio calibrations better than my audyssey calibrations! If you're looking for the best calibrator look no further than Jeff. He has the knowledge, credentials and the latest up to date equipment to get your tv set up correctly. He previously calibrated my pro 150FD and I will keep choosing him for my calibrations.

If you want to find out when he'll be in your area you can contact him or check his website for prices/availability. Thanks again Jeff!

post #3974 of 5275 Old 10-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...sung+UN55B8500

According to this reviewers opinion, the KURO is still king of the flat panel displays- and in pretty much every category! I wonder just how long the KURO will be able to remain top dog?!? The KURO appears to be an even better investment than I originally imagined!

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #3975 of 5275 Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...sung+UN55B8500

According to this reviewers opinion, the KURO is still king of the flat panel displays- and in pretty much every category! I wonder just how long the KURO will be able to remain top dog?!? The KURO appears to be an even better investment than I originally imagined!

my guess is until 2011, but wont be surprised if its not until CES 2012 that we see something to rival it in the 60" size.
post #3976 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:14 AM
CFX

What do you guys think about the reliability of the 141FD? How many of you had to call a service tech to take a look at the TV? How long have you had your 141s for?

I recently made the switch to a 141FD after taking back an XBR8. My fear is that the 141 may cost me more down the line. Of course I have the 2 years manufactured warranty but I'm more concerned about the problems I'd have with the display 2+ years down the line. With the Sony, I would have no problem turning down an expensive extended warranty because I know their products are quality. With the 141, I'm not so sure.

I've never owned a Pioneer display, and already out of the box (open item) it has a constant flashing blue light and solid red light on. Doesn't appear to be serious as the TV does not shut off and the PQ is outstanding, but the flashing is annoying. There does not appear to be any documentation on this error for this specific display anywhere in this forum, or for that matter google. Another manual suggests the error means "No digital adjustment data copied for backup". Seems like buying the service manual is the only true way I can diagnose the problem myself. To fix it is another issue, probably requiring the $70 service remote (and that might fix it, not for sure). The Pioneer customer support had to refer me to a local service tech. The local service tech had to call Pioneer for support and has not heard back in several days. Back and forth we go. It has been 5 days since I've called the techs and I still don't have an appointment. Maybe I'm just having a bad experience.

Either way, I'd like to get a feel from you Pioneer plasma owners about the reliability of the display. No question that the Elite series is the best of the best in terms of PQ, but if the best comes with a short life span I'd rather go with an XBR8.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
post #3977 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you guys think about the reliability of the 141FD? How many of you had to call a service tech to take a look at the TV? How long have you had your 141s for?

I recently made the switch to a 141FD after taking back an XBR8. My fear is that the 141 may cost me more down the line. Of course I have the 2 years manufactured warranty but I'm more concerned about the problems I'd have with the display 2+ years down the line. With the Sony, I would have no problem turning down an expensive extended warranty because I know their products are quality. With the 141, I'm not so sure.

I've never owned a Pioneer display, and already out of the box (open item) it has a constant flashing blue light and solid red light on. Doesn't appear to be serious as the TV does not shut off and the PQ is outstanding, but the flashing is annoying. There does not appear to be any documentation on this error for this specific display anywhere in this forum, or for that matter google. Another manual suggests the error means "No digital adjustment data copied for backup". Seems like buying the service manual is the only true way I can diagnose the problem myself. To fix it is another issue, probably requiring the $70 service remote (and that might fix it, not for sure). The Pioneer customer support had to refer me to a local service tech. The local service tech had to call Pioneer for support and has not heard back in several days. Back and forth we go. It has been 5 days since I've called the techs and I still don't have an appointment. Maybe I'm just having a bad experience.

Either way, I'd like to get a feel from you Pioneer plasma owners about the reliability of the display. No question that the Elite series is the best of the best in terms of PQ, but if the best comes with a short life span I'd rather go with an XBR8.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I have had mine since launch with no problems. If you are that worried about it I would consider looking into an extended warranty.

The issue you describe seems very strange. I would just stay on top of your tech and local guy to get some type of answer before buying a service remote etc.
post #3978 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Who did you buy the set from? If you compare number of complaints between the xbr8 and the 141fd in their respective forums, I think you will see that the quality of the Pioneer product is greater than the Sony. I personally sprung for an extended warranty with my 141 since I planned on it being my reference for 5-10years. I got mine brand new with a 4 year warranty, but haven't had any problems. Sorry to hear about your problem.

post #3979 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
CFX

I bought mine from Best Buy, both the 141 and the XBR8. I feel that I would never have to have a Sony serviced. I have an XBR2 bought about 2-3 years ago that has never had a problem. The warranty was $600 for 4 years. I think that's a bit high considering you're only getting an additional 2 year on top of the manufactures.
post #3980 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Best Buy has 30day return policy- tell them to either fix it or take it back!

post #3981 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Bought my 141FD from BB. It was fantastic for about 20 hours then "Pflit" no picture and red light flashing twice. BB replaced the defective unit with another new one. The second 141 is as good as the first for PQ. I hope this set lasts longer than 20 hours.

I also have a 43" Pio plasma that is 4 years old and is still flawless. I believe the Pio is of higher quality than Sony. I had several issues with my old Sony XBR 36"
post #3982 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM

CFX--
I worked for Sony in the retail division for nearly 2 years and let me tell you this--- I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE SONY PRODUCTS BELOW DEALER COST AND I STILL TOOK THE 141 OVER THE XBR8!!!
As for problems, first of all, let me inform you that Sony shares a facility with Samsung where the raw LCD panels are manufactured. Many of the components are from China and Asian countries and the panels are assembled in either Mexico or Asia. THEY ARE NOT FROM JAPAN!
Most of the Kuro comes from Japan and it is assembled in good old USA.
Awhile back I posted on here that I had to order a new bezel for my Kuro and what a pleasant surprise when I received it from Pioneer and the shipping box had Japanese shipping labels all over it! The bezel was 100% made in Japan with authentic Japanese urushi finish and then shipped to California.
What I am saying is that quality wise you simply cannot go wrong with the Kuro and I myself paid the extra for it when I worked for Pioneer's competitor and could have had the XBR8 for much less.
Its a great product and you'll be very happy with it!
post #3983 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

Bought my 141FD from BB. It was fantastic for about 20 hours then "Pflit" no picture and red light flashing twice. BB replaced the defective unit with another new one. The second 141 is as good as the first for PQ. I hope this set lasts longer than 20 hours.

I also have a 43" Pio plasma that is 4 years old and is still flawless. I believe the Pio is of higher quality than Sony. I had several issues with my old Sony XBR 36"

How long ago was this? BB seems to be out of 141s now.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #3984 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM

The initial 141FD was delivered on Sept 23rd. It died on Sept 26th. The second was installed on October 6th, two days ago.

My BB had one on the floor and now has another that I suspect they will repair and sell as an open box. The on-line locator service does not show their inventory for this model. The same BB had around 50 of the 151 models in stock.

I also saw 141's and 151's in a Lakeville, Minnesota BB in early September.

The Magnolia manager says they keep getting them in.
post #3985 of 5275 Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

The initial 141FD was delivered on Sept 23rd. It died on Sept 26th. The second was installed on October 6th, two days ago.

My BB had one on the floor and now has another that I suspect they will repair and sell as an open box. The on-line locator service does not show their inventory for this model. The same BB had around 50 of the 151 models in stock.

I also saw 141's and 151's in a Lakeville, Minnesota BB in early September.

The Magnolia manager says they keep getting them in.

Thanks for the info.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #3986 of 5275 Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought mine from Best Buy, both the 141 and the XBR8. I feel that I would never have to have a Sony serviced. I have an XBR2 bought about 2-3 years ago that has never had a problem. The warranty was $600 for 4 years. I think that's a bit high considering you're only getting an additional 2 year on top of the manufactures.

you can get a Mack 3 year add on warranty which would give you 5 years total coverage for ~$302 for a plasma under $5000.

the bb ext warranties are way overpriced.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #3987 of 5275 Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

you can get a Mack 3 year add on warranty which would give you 5 years total coverage for ~$302 for a plasma under $5000.

the bb ext warranties are way overpriced.

I read somewhere that SquareTrade warranties are superior to Mack when it comes to claims. ST is supposed to be a lot easier to deal with.

Any truth to that?

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #3988 of 5275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM
CFX

How trustworthy do you think the Mack warranty is?

One other question, when was the last manufactured month for the Elites? My Elite is from March 2009, were they still manufactured after that?
post #3989 of 5275 Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:

One other question, when was the last manufactured month for the Elites? My Elite is from March 2009, were they still manufactured after that?

mine is april 09.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #3990 of 5275 Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I read somewhere that SquareTrade warranties are superior to Mack when it comes to claims. ST is supposed to be a lot easier to deal with.

Any truth to that?

We have you work with your local authorized Pioneer service center on the IN home warranties.

Quote:

We have been in business since 1938 so I think our name speaks for itself. Also all of our service contracts are fully insured in the event we go out of business(which is not going to happen).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page