Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4021 of 5273 Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 AM
CFX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The service tech was one I found through the Pioneer website. I am trying a different company. I had not thought about having Best Buy try to fix the problem because I don't think they have the expertise to do this. They'd refer me to the Pioneer techs and the manufacture's 2 year warranty.

If I could return it for another I would, but for the price I got it for I probably will not be able to find another one, not to mention that the PQ doesn't suffer at all from this blinking light problem.

I was thinking I could buy the service remote, try and fix the problem myself, and then re-sale it on eBay (probably for a loss). At least I would know if the remote solved the problem or not, if it does not and a service tech needs to fix some hardware I would imagine this is handled by the 2 year warranty and I should not be so concerned. However I would like this handled very soon, within 2 weeks, before my return period is over.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 5273 Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Best Buy also has their own repair service personal, and in fact are also a authorized warranty service provider for many of the brands they sell, however I can't tell you if they are authorized for the Elite line of plasmas or not. But if they are, they would probably just love to have the chance to take some of Pioneers money from them for doing a warranty repair. But, I don't know if you even want to try them or not, as many people hate the geek squad guys with a passion. But you may want to consider it, if for no other reason, is that if you have a service call on file with them and if they don't or can't resolve the problem, it possibly could also expand your return window with them.

Plus, if you decide to try the service remote instead, when considering you only have two weeks left in your return window. Consider this, if the service don't or can't even work to solve your problem! With the issue of buying it on ebay, and the resulting amount time before it's actually even shipped out to you and then also the time it takes of waiting for it to arrive, you may in fact only have one week left to return the set by the time it finally arrives, and it may even be cutting it dangerously close to the end of the two weeks. And then you would also have no other choice but to have it repaired.
post #4023 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Hi I am wondering if the mount from this piece of furniture will work on the Kuro 141. It is the Whalen tv stand for up to 60 inches. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179876185999
post #4024 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

Hi I am wondering if the mount from this piece of furniture will work on the Kuro 141. It is the Whalen tv stand for up to 60 inches. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179876185999

Mounting Holes: 33 15/16" by 19 11/16"

Above are the mounting holes for the 141. Yes its 60", but the mounting holes are futher apart them most 60" displays so you really have to dig into the specs of the mount you are considering before before buying. "Supports up to 60" is not enough info.
post #4025 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

It's also helpful to convert those dimensions to mm because that's what mounts are typically spec'd at.

For instance those specs correspond to 862mm x 500mm and hence is bigger then a 800x400 VESA mount can handle.
post #4026 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
CFX,

Have you looked for a KRP-600M in your area (I know where to find some, PM if you like)? If you can find one, I'd return the 141FD.. you'd probably save even more money with the 600M and it can achieve the same performance.

In any case, let the warranty take care of it... I personally wouldn't fool with it if I could return it...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #4027 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Mounting Holes: 33 15/16" by 19 11/16"

Above are the mounting holes for the 141. Yes its 60", but the mounting holes are futher apart them most 60" displays so you really have to dig into the specs of the mount you are considering before before buying. "Supports up to 60" is not enough info.

I actually ended up finding the Sanus mount online that is for the 141. So all is well. Thanks!
post #4028 of 5273 Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post

For instance those specs correspond to 862mm x 500mm and hence is bigger then a 800x400 VESA mount can handle.

850x500mm.

Detailed Product Information
post #4029 of 5273 Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM

not quite sure where to post this but i noticed tonight that on most hd channels, at least 2 lines of pixels, if not four or more on one side of the screen were black...

this was on every hd channel including the major ones...

orbiter was off...

this was not happening on a pioneer 4270 in the same house...

i am set to dot to dot on the 141 - is this normal, can it be fixed?

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #4030 of 5273 Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouhhan View Post

not quite sure where to post this but i noticed tonight that on most hd channels, at least 2 lines of pixels, if not four or more on one side of the screen were black...

this was on every hd channel including the major ones...

orbiter was off...

this was not happening on a pioneer 4270 in the same house...

i am set to dot to dot on the 141 - is this normal, can it be fixed?

try setting it to full 1. Your 4270 likely didnt offer dot by dot and what you are seeing it probably an issue with the signal and not the display. Its bee advised for cable users to use "Full" screen mode and take advantage of the 2% over scan. No loss in PQ will come as a result of using Full.
post #4031 of 5273 Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 PM

We set it to Optimum and dot by dot and set the light sensor on. Nothing else.

Great picture. No break-in disc. Only watch HD broadcasts as the amps, AVP, blu-ray,etc., are still boxed for the last couple months. Still have a 90 days on the speakers and media center. Still need to order the subwoofers and acoustical treatments.

We like it a lot. No worries. Great picture. No burn in on anything - sports tickers, station logos (have the orbital turned on), etc. Great picture and no adjustments.

Only see lines around an upper or side border when there is a momentarily bad feed

Willl get the ICFccc modes turned on later during calibration when we have enough hours, although the WAF is at maximum at the moment.

Chris
post #4032 of 5273 Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:

try setting it to full 1. Your 4270 likely didnt offer dot by dot and what you are seeing it probably an issue with the signal and not the display. Its bee advised for cable users to use "Full" screen mode and take advantage of the 2% over scan. No loss in PQ will come as a result of using Full.

thank you!

i tried this and it has fixed it on most channels.

i still get 2 - 8 lines of black pixels on some channels like natgeo hd on the top or bottom.

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #4033 of 5273 Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianquittia View Post

if you did ever decide to purchase this or other whalen stands; call whalen, and they will send you an extension kit for free to support mounting of the 60" pioneer kuro's.

basically they will send a longer 38" mounting frame, and longer mounting bracket(s).

they are great to deal with, and will support their product!
post #4034 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just cleaned my windows (inside) today and couldn't believe how much clearer they look and how much dirt came off. I have to assume the same amount is on my 141 no? I mean its just a sheet of glass like my windows.

Lets revisit how to properly clean this display. There is definitely film on the display not on others which I have learned is very delicate. I am thinking of using a new micro fiber cloth and distilled water, or a camera lens cleaner.
post #4035 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Just a note on microfiber towels. They are not all created equal. The cheaper ones will scratch. Take a new CD and rub the MF across the CD and see if it leaves scratches. I'd suggest only using a top quality premium microfiber towel and a mist of distilled water on the towel. I'd also suggest blowing the dust off the screen first with a can of compressed air.
post #4036 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

Just a note on microfiber towels. They are not all created equal. The cheaper ones will scratch. Take a new CD and rub the MF across the CD and see if it leaves scratches. I'd suggest only using a top quality premium microfiber towel and a mist of distilled water on the towel. I'd also suggest blowing the dust off the screen first with a can of compressed air.

I do use compressed air every couple of weeks and its much better then using swifer or something similar. Any idea what the best quality mircofiber cloth available is?
post #4037 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM

I use this Zeiss Portable Lens Care System but only after I blow off the dust first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6557392&sr=8-1

I'm sure there are other good products and this is the one I found works well for me. I hope others will respond with their favorites.

The 141 also comes with a microfiber cloth in the box that is quite good.
post #4038 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfelbab View Post

I use this Zeiss Portable Lens Care System but only after I blow off the dust first.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6557392&sr=8-1

I'm sure there are other good products and this is the one I found works well for me. I hope others will respond with their favorites.

how big is that one? How do you clean the cloth?
post #4039 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

I do use compressed air every couple of weeks and its much better then using swifer or something similar. Any idea what the best quality mircofiber cloth available is?

Good question.

I just ordered this cloth and will report back.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Microfiber-...6358620&sr=8-1

The problem with using water of any kind is you will end up with a clean spot. So you really have to wash the whole screen and hope for the best.

And imo not the best way to go.

ss
post #4040 of 5273 Old 10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick note on compressed air:

I use GUST 360° Spray Anyway Duster, which allows you to hold the can at any angle without frosting! I used it extensively to clean off dust from the LCD panels of my Sanyo projector with great success. No frosting whatsoever.

It's the first item on this list:

http://www.criticalcleaning.com/CCDusters.htm

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4041 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 04:17 AM

Liked: 12
Head down to your local auto parts store and look for a microfiber cloth recommended for buffing or final detailing. Wash it before you use it the first time and only use liquid detergents without any added bleaches, softners or scents. They do have some microfiber cloths specifically for glass, but I prefer the plush towels for my 141. The 141 manual recommends that no liquids be used at all.
post #4042 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Liked: 17
I've read through this thread and the major finding is the ISF modes have more “pop" primarily because they are brighter. Our eyes need that extra brightness to bias them more into their linear range.
Let's make the distinction between calibration of the ISF mode vs. enabling the ISF mode. Note that no-one here has touched the 10 point grey scale, as it is already correctly adjusted at the factory.
The first step is just to enable the ISF mode with a USB to RS232 cable and ControlCal. Then adjust the color temperature Blue-High greater or the Green-Red-High lower to achieve 6500K.

This is not rocket science. The truth is rather simple. Pity me for reading through 4045 posts, much filled with misinformation.
post #4043 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Further Pioneer, in its infinite (ISF influenced) wisdom prohibited 95% (from estimates in this thread by calibrators) of owners from ever seeing the best performance simply because it's locked away until owners pay more.

This accounts for why people at the store say the Pioneers are dim and the ISF fanatics say they are not. Limiting performance is really a stupid strategy for a high-end product. Its like a corvette being limited to 79 mph.
Go figure!
post #4044 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM

After investigating the Pioneer 9G plasmas and their serious issue with buzzing, I'm left to ponder if this was a major contributing factor to them abandoning the plasma display business.
From reading the Pioneer threads, a lot of owners returned their $5-7,000 buzzing Pioneer displays. One member tried four 151's! These actions must have contributed to Pioneer's dismal balance sheet.
If the 9G's had not buzzed, would Pioneer still be in business?

Since the Panasonic plasmas do not buzz, the issue could have been overcome.
post #4045 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Does anyone know how to program the harmony remote to change picture modes? I would like to program it so when I hit the play game activity it turns the Pioneer from pure to game mode. Thanks
post #4046 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdboy69 View Post

Does anyone know how to program the harmony remote to change picture modes? I would like to program it so when I hit the play game activity it turns the Pioneer from pure to game mode. Thanks

cant do it.

What you would need are the discrete IR commands assigned to each individual AV selection which to my knowledge do not exist.

Unfortunately you need to cycle through them all to get to the one you like.
post #4047 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

cant do it.

What you would need are the discrete IR commands assigned to each individual AV selection which to my knowledge do not exist.

Unfortunately you need to cycle through them all to get to the one you like.

The guy from the store who installed my 141 showed me some remote control equipment as I will add that when all the rest of the stuff finally arrives and is installed.

He had some sort of capture device that (he said) allows him to capture any signal from any remote and name it as desired. He then imports that into the remote control software on the PC (in this case, one of the RTI products) and can then program the function as desired.

I'm not sure if the Harmony has this capability. Plus, I think you have to be an installer to purchase the device to capture the signals.
post #4048 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctouhey View Post

The guy from the store who installed my 141 showed me some remote control equipment as I will add that when all the rest of the stuff finally arrives and is installed.

He had some sort of capture device that (he said) allows him to capture any signal from any remote and name it as desired. He then imports that into the remote control software on the PC (in this case, one of the RTI products) and can then program the function as desired.

I'm not sure if the Harmony has this capability. Plus, I think you have to be an installer to purchase the device to capture the signals.

yes, problem is no remote exists with the original codes to copy.
post #4049 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Well, I joined the Signature Series Elite club today. My Pro-101FD was delivered this morning. I attached the optional table top stand and simply put the set in Pure mode for now.
WOW!
I was second guessing myself for selling my 2 year old Pioneer PDP-5080 Kuro last Sunday to help pay down this new purchase.
The second guessing is over. The black levels are visibly better, processing is pure and clean, no more screen door effect when sitting close to the tv....
this is definitely the best flat panel picture I have seen in my lifetime.
I finally feel that I've recaptured CRT Tube black levels/shadow detail with the added bonus of a much bigger screen and 1080p clarity.
I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER!!
lazerfan
p.s. upconverted standard dvds via my Sony blu-ray player look great. Never better!!
p.s.s. the manufacturing date of my set is April, 2009. It's great that they are still assembling these great sets!!
post #4050 of 5273 Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

p.s.s. the manufacturing date of my set is April, 2009. It's great that they are still assembling these great sets!!

You do realize it is now October right?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page