post #4051 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

After investigating the Pioneer 9G plasmas and their serious issue with buzzing, I'm left to ponder if this was a major contributing factor to them abandoning the plasma display business.

No.

Quote:

If the 9G's had not buzzed, would Pioneer still be in business?

Pioneer is still in business, they however are no longer in the business of making and selling plasma TV's, or any other type of TV's. And no, the buzzing or the amount of returns they had because of it, is not what caused them to get out of the TV business.

Quote:

Since the Panasonic plasmas do not buzz, the issue could have been overcome.

If you have done all the research that you claim to have done, then you would also know why the Panasonic sets have less of a problem in the buzzing area. And you would also know it's also part of the reason why the Panasonic sets picture quality is not rated as highly as the Pioneer is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post

You do realize it is now October right?

Yes, I know it is October. I'm sure if you pop by any Best Buy and buy a tv set and spin it around, the build date will NOT be October 2009
I was merely happy that I had a panel that was fairly recently assembled- after Pioneer's announcement that they were pulling out of plasma production- as opposed a panel from the fall of '08.
I've heard that some of the technology for the 10g line that never was, was incorporated into late production 101FD panels. Another reason for my happiness.
lazerfan
post #4053 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

If you have done all the research that you claim to have done, then you would also know why the Panasonic sets have less of a problem in the buzzing area. And you would also know it's also part of the reason why the Panasonic sets picture quality is not rated as highly as the Pioneer is.

What is the co-relation between the buzz and picture quality?

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4054 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

I've heard that some of the technology for the 10g line that never was, was incorporated into late production 101FD panels.

Is that a fact or a rumor?

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4055 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Is that a fact or a rumor?

This is what I've gleaned by reading hundreds of pages of various threads revolving around 9g Pioneer Kuro plasma sets.
I do know that the 101FD was the last panel released by Pioneer. It came out after the 141FD monitor.
The black levels are fabulous. I can only say that I've seen the 5020 demonstrated in many stores and I was never impressed, personally, by the black levels.
My 101FD is as good as any CRT tube set I've ever seen. I originally had a Sony 34HS420 hi def tube set. I sold that and went to a Pioneer PDP-5080. I really believe the black level and contrast was superior on the older Sony tube set.
Now that I've upgraded to the 101FD, I really feel I've recaptured the black level/shadow detail of that Sony tube set!
Of course, the 101FD is superior in all other aspects!
lazerfan
post #4056 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Liked: 17
Correct. I saw the 101 side-by-side against the 500. The 101 was clearly superior in black levels and clarity (maybe it was in ISF mode).
Its good to see someone else who doesn't get caught up in the emotion. I'm convinced that things were way out of whack in this sometimes sales forum.

I will always ponder if the high rate of 9G returns and its effect on Pioneers bottom line. We aren't talking anything like a normal 2-3% rate either. I think its more like 25-40%. I understand the self-denial, as to consider otherwise is unfathomable.
post #4057 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:

the manufacturing date of my set is April, 2009. It's great that they are still assembling these great sets!!

I recently ordered one of these babies and am curious to know when production finally ceased on these units. It's nice to know that they were being assembled at least as late as 4/09.

How can I check the assembly date when my plasma finally arrives?
post #4058 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

I recently ordered one of these babies and am curious to know when production finally ceased on these units. It's nice to know that they were being assembled at least as late as 4/09.

How can I check the assembly date when my plasma finally arrives?

That's easy! It's on the back of the tv set, but, also, it's right in the special box that has the Signature Series plaque. At the bottom of the plaque is the serial number and date of manufacture!
post #4059 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The 101 was clearly superior in black levels and clarity (maybe it was in ISF mode).

You still haven't gone back to the store and fixed the 500M's broken RGB settings, eh?

Or do you fear that they'd be upset that you just made a sub-$2000 TV perform as well as a $3700 TV sitting right next to it?
post #4060 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I do know that the 101FD was the last panel released by Pioneer. It came out after the 141FD monitor.

What about the 500 models?

I haven't seen any build dates after April when North American production was scheduled to be shut down.
post #4061 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Well, I joined the Signature Series Elite club today. My Pro-101FD was delivered this morning. I attached the optional table top stand and simply put the set in Pure mode for now.
WOW!
I was second guessing myself for selling my 2 year old Pioneer PDP-5080 Kuro last Sunday to help pay down this new purchase.
The second guessing is over. The black levels are visibly better, processing is pure and clean, no more screen door effect when sitting close to the tv....
this is definitely the best flat panel picture I have seen in my lifetime.
I finally feel that I've recaptured CRT Tube black levels/shadow detail with the added bonus of a much bigger screen and 1080p clarity.
I am ONE HAPPY CAMPER!!
lazerfan
p.s. upconverted standard dvds via my Sony blu-ray player look great. Never better!!
p.s.s. the manufacturing date of my set is April, 2009. It's great that they are still assembling these great sets!!

Congratulations man! I checked my local BB to see if they had any 101s left and they said they had 200 in the warehouse!! Now I just have to find an excuse to buy one. I already have a 141 and 111, so I don't know where I'd put a 101. I think they were selling it for <$3000 too.
post #4062 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

What about the 500 models?

I haven't seen any build dates after April when North American production was scheduled to be shut down.

The 500 models weren't released in Canada, so I can't say. It would be interesting to find out if any 101FD monitors were built after April. The one I got was from a recent shipment from Pioneer of Canada to Gibby's Audio Video in St.Catharines, Ontario.
post #4063 of 5275 Old 10-25-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

I've read through this thread and the major finding is the ISF modes have more “pop" primarily because they are brighter. Our eyes need that extra brightness to bias them more into their linear range.
Let's make the distinction between calibration of the ISF mode vs. enabling the ISF mode. Note that no-one here has touched the 10 point grey scale, as it is already correctly adjusted at the factory.
The first step is just to enable the ISF mode with a USB to RS232 cable and ControlCal. Then adjust the color temperature Blue-High greater or the Green-Red-High lower to achieve 6500K.

This is not rocket science. The truth is rather simple. Pity me for reading through 4045 posts, much filled with misinformation.

Sorry to tell you but yes I do and in any 141/101 I have worked on, the grayscale is off from the factory. And its a 11pt grayscale. Unless you mean the 9pt gamma in ISF mode. And the reason for not changing the 9pt gamma setting in ISF mode is because imo making adjustments for a 141/101 will do more harm than good. And lord knows I have tried many different combination's of the 9pt gamma when Controlcal first came out.
How do you achieve your 6500k. What meter are you using, what software are you using.

No, calibration is not rocket science, but non the less it is a science and a art.

ss
post #4064 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

What is the co-relation between the buzz and picture quality?

Just look up the differences in the way Panasonic makes their panels compared to the Pioneer's.
post #4065 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 01:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We aren't talking anything like a normal 2-3% rate either. I think its more like 25-40%. I understand the self-denial, as to consider otherwise is unfathomable.

If you "think" the return rate is that high. Prove it with facts, and don't just guess at being whatever sounds good to you! Because it's very unlikely it is anywhere near that high
post #4066 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Hi Guys.
I need to purchase the bottom cardboard box that the top box slides into on the 141. If you have the bottom piece (I don't need the styrofoam, etc. -just the bottom box)...please send me a PM with a price in mind. Mine was accidentally thrown out and I am moving and need the bottom piece. If you still have one and its in mint condition---please PM me with a price I really need this piece!
-Dave
post #4067 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Hey Sony,

Where in Ontario are you located?
If you can pick it up in Woodbridge (Weston Road & Rutherford Road) it's your's for free.
Cheers!
post #4068 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
CFX

Well, I received my GGF1633 remote and was able to fix the blinking blue light issue with my 141FD. I do have another situation I would appreciate your advice with. Within the manual for another Pioneer display, it says the blinking blue light happens "After the replacement of the Assys (Procedures in Factory Mode)". For the fix, step 1 is listed as:
1. Digital Video Assy: Transfer of backup data...

My question is, what exactly is the Assy? I'm concerned that something needed to be replaced with the display, especially since I've bought it open item even though it is relatively new. Why would this need to be replaced?

To add to my dilemma, I was at Best Buy earlier today looking for a home theatre system to pair with my display. To my surpise, I see that they have the 151FD on sale brand new for $400 more than what I purchased my 141FD for. Now I'm contemplating returning the 141FD for a new 151FD for the piece of mind of knowing the display's history. I am still within my return period. I simply don't want to go through the hassle of lugging this hefty monitor back to Best Buy if it's not worth it. I'd have to rent a truck, etc. In order for me to make this decision I need more information about the possible problems I'm having with my 141FD, hence the question about the Assys.

Another question: I had bought the Sony XBR8 and the 141FD and compared them side by side for a week watching regular HD television. I believe the the picture quality of the 141FD to be superior in terms of detail. I am upset with the brightness of the set. However, turning up the brightness of the set ruins the picture quality. Whites look dim and dirty, even on the Standard power mode. Movies look fantastic but sports and television shows look way too dim, especially considering the amount of money spent on these displays. I would be upset if the answer to this is to have it ISF calibrated or to use ControlCAL, simply because this means more money.

So please, would someone explain to me what the Assys is and when/why it would need to be replaced? Do you think it's worth $400 more to get a new 151FD given the unknown history of my display? How can I fix the brightness issue on my own?

Thanks for your responses.
post #4069 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I would highly recommend swapping it out for the 151. An open box item would have to be HEAVILY discounted for me to even think about buying it. Just too many unknowns. The 151 will give you peace of mind knowing it is new with no hidden issues, and right now, it's selling for a GREAT price at BB.

And yeah, you're not adjusting your set correctly. You don't touch the brightness, you increase the contrast. And sorry, ControlCal is really the only way to dial it in properly. But no one ever said an Elite was cheap. Comes with the territory.
post #4070 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

I would highly recommend swapping it out for the 151. An open box item would have to be HEAVILY discounted for me to even think about buying it. Just too many unknowns. The 151 will give you peace of mind knowing it is new with no hidden issues, and right now, it's selling for a GREAT price at BB.

And yeah, you're not adjusting your set correctly. You don't touch the brightness, you increase the contrast. And sorry, ControlCal is really the only way to dial it in properly. But no one ever said an Elite was cheap. Comes with the territory.

if u want a package they add bdp320 for total $3499 plus tax, free delivery , creep squad etc
post #4071 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

if u want a package they add bdp320 for total $3499 plus tax, free delivery , creep squad etc

Wow, they dropped it to $3499 WITH a BDP320? Last time I was there (like 2 weeks ago) they were selling it for $3999. Dude, that is a no brainer.

Dammit, I wish I had room for another 60" Elite.
post #4072 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Who do I need to talk to to get this deal?
post #4073 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 PM
CFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowdoyou View Post

Yes, please. That sounds better than my deal.
post #4074 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

if u need player then it is good! They wont let u use coupon though.
post #4075 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

Yes, please. That sounds better than my deal.

I ended up finding the deal in the Magnolia Weekly Ad on the Best Buy website, though it's for the 6020FD, not the 151FD, but since both units are listed with the same price, I'm guessing you can talk with the manager about using this deal with the 151FD.

At least that's what I'm going to try on Saturday....
post #4076 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I ended up finding the deal in the Magnolia Weekly Ad on the Best Buy website, though it's for the 6020FD, not the 151FD, but since both units are listed with the same price, I'm guessing you can talk with the manager about using this deal with the 151FD.

At least that's what I'm going to try on Saturday....

keep me posted! I would get my revised too. I did not pick up the set yet.
pm me soon thanks
post #4077 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:

keep me posted! I would get my revised too. I did not pick up the set yet.
pm me soon thanks

Zoro,

Did you get the 6020 or the 151?
post #4078 of 5275 Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Zoro,

Did you get the 6020 or the 151?

151! I spoke with manager over the phone he told me no double dipping but either or. I did not think on the spot still, player, plus set, free shipping is better deal than 3599 for set only. I'll try another magnolia, if they honor i'll cancel my best buy order. I have started hating best buy they are so arrogant now with no true competator around lol..dangerous thing.

keep me posted.
post #4079 of 5275 Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I'm contemplating returning the 141FD for a new 151FD for the piece of mind of knowing the display's history.

If I were you, I'd swap without a second thought simply for the peace of mind and the great price BB is having! Too many issues already with your 141. Make use of the return period and get the new 151. When the return period is over, don't let yourself regret not having swapped.

Manendra

who hate the Klan
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4080 of 5275 Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I received my GGF1633 remote and was able to fix the blinking blue light issue with my 141FD. I do have another situation I would appreciate your advice with. Within the manual for another Pioneer display, it says the blinking blue light happens "After the replacement of the Assys (Procedures in Factory Mode)". For the fix, step 1 is listed as:
1. Digital Video Assy: Transfer of backup data...

My question is, what exactly is the Assy? I'm concerned that something needed to be replaced with the display, especially since I've bought it open item even though it is relatively new. Why would this need to be replaced?

"Assy" is usually the short version of Assembly. So they are taking about the Digital Video Assembly (probably one of the circuit boards in the unit). It does not say much...

Dan.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page