Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4141 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings:
I bought a floor model 141, and the guy gave me the wrong remote.
It powers on/off, and allows access to the menus (as far as I know).

Should I buy the correct one, or not worry about it?

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman1965 View Post

Greetings:
I bought a floor model 141, and the guy gave me the wrong remote.
It powers on/off, and allows access to the menus (as far as I know).

Should I buy the correct one, or not worry about it?

Thanks,
Bill

Go back to the store and have them find the original remote. If they cannot find it, I'd ask for a price adjustment...

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #4143 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

could you point me in the direction of that discussion? I have been using 4:4:4 as its the only method by which the oppo would successfully push the higher bit rate to my 141 via my onkyo 3007 and thus I would be interested to hear/read what the issue was.

Here is a link; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17432592
imo what UMR is saying carries over to Blu Ray also. As some of you may know I have been changing a few of my settings from firmware update to the next update.

When I first got my BD-83 I came close to sending it back because of the PQ. The reason why I worked with BD-83 and my 141 was because of the AQ for Blu Ray films, and the way the BD-83 downmixed the HD 5.1/7.1 audio to 2ch stereo analog.

ss
post #4144 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
til

say, anyone know how to get ISf mode? without hire calibrator(cost $$). thansk.
i have 141, don't know anything about download, etc,, i like something like the dynamic mode(bright) with manual picture adjustment like other mode, pure , user.,.is what i am trying to achieve all this time, thanks. i don't care about image retintion or could careless about life of panel. or buzzz. thanks,, someday i may upgrade to pioneer 75 inch.,. 60 still small..
post #4145 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Use At Your Own Risk!!!

I used this cloth "Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth". specs are as follows.
Safely Removes Fingerprints and Dust
Cleans Without Chemicals
Wash and Reuse 100s of Times.

This cloth seems not to scratch my 141s screen, using lite presser on the cloth. I folded the cloth so the edges where inside the folds in my cloth.

I found that there seems to be a build up of film over a year+, like on any glass surface. However here is the one thing I can't say for sure, is the film some kind of coating done by Pioneer or simply just film build up from my environment ????

After I first used this cloth I went over my screen with the cloth from Pioneer. However there seemed to be some smearing on the screen, as you may see if you just use a cloth with no liquid added to clean a mirror.
So I used the "Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth" and went over the screen once more using lite to moderate pressure on the cloth and then went over with the cloth from Pioneer.

This time there seemed to be very little smearing if any.
The screen seemed to look like it did when it was new. And i used a magnifying glass with a light on it, both when my 141 was new and now after cleaning.

The PQ seemed to be a little brighter and clearer, colors are a little more defined.

The one question I can NOT tell for sure is, did I remove any coating from Pioneer.
However this cloth seems not to be able to remove any liquid spots like from a sneeze.

This is what Pioneer has to say about cleaning.
7.2 Cleaning Methods
Before cleaning your flat panel display, unplug the power cord from the outlet.
When cleaning the screen or the glossy front bezel, gently wipe with a clean, dry cloth such as the supplied
cleaning cloth or a similar type of soft cloth (e.g., cotton, flannel, etc.). Avoid a wet or damp cloth as that can let
moisture seep into the panel. A dusty or rough-textured cloth (or if you rub too hard), can scratch surfaces.
Note: Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners on the screen.

So to sum up my findings, I am going to use a quote from ' Dirty Harry'. "Do you feel lucky, well do ya punk"

ss
post #4146 of 5273 Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by til View Post

i have 141, don't know anything about download, etc,, i like something like the dynamic mode(bright) with manual picture adjustment like other mode, pure , user.,.is what i am trying to achieve all this time, thanks. i don't care about image retintion or could careless about life of panel. or buzzz. thanks,, someday i may upgrade to pioneer 75 inch.,. 60 still small..

You need to get Controlcal to use your ISF modes.
http://www.controlcal.com/

ss
post #4147 of 5273 Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

someday i may upgrade to pioneer 75 inch.,. 60 still small..

Very doubtful you will ever upgrade to a Pioneer 75 inch. For one, thing they never even made such a size in plasma sets. And the second reason being, and also the killer one, is that they now no longer make TV's. So sometime soon there are not going to be anymore left, in any size! Whatever Pioneer Plasma that are still left out there unsold and available in stores or warehouses right now, are also the last ones they made.
post #4148 of 5273 Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Don't forget that all we know is that they announced that they're closing their plasma business.

What they didn't say is:

1. Its totally shut down
2. We're opening production of other technology.
3. Things have changed and we might make a few more sets for a while.

Things change.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4149 of 5273 Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

^^ Is this guy for real??

FREE TIBET! *
post #4150 of 5273 Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
bestbuy had 141 for 7k, and 151 for 6.5k lol
post #4151 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

bestbuy had 141 for 7k, and 151 for 6.5k lol

That's simply ridiculous!!
Are they truly expecting to sell the units at those prices??

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4152 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Don't forget that all we know is that they announced that they're closing their plasma business.

What they didn't say is:

1. Its totally shut down
2. We're opening production of other technology.
3. Things have changed and we might make a few more sets for a while.

Things change.

1. By the production dates people are posting for their recently bought sets, I'd say it's pretty much shut down.

2. They are hurting financially, their TV business has been a money loser for them for quite a few years. So the last thing they are probably going to do, is go through the many possible risks and pitfalls, of starting up with a new TV technology.

3. Doubtful, once they use up all the parts that they allotted for building complete sets, but not the spare parts placed aside for service replacements and warranty, then it's over and done. Just looking around at how the scarcity sets are getting now, pretty much points in the direction that they have not been making more sets.

Yes things change, and one change was Pioneer deciding to cease the production of Plasma TV.
If you hoping for them to change again on that. I really doubt that you'll be seeing them ramp up and start producing plasma of their own design or any other type of TV technology again anytime soon, if ever again.
post #4153 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Use At Your Own Risk!!!

I used this cloth "Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth". specs are as follows.
Safely Removes Fingerprints and Dust
Cleans Without Chemicals
Wash and Reuse 100s of Times.

This cloth seems not to scratch my 141s screen, using lite presser on the cloth. I folded the cloth so the edges where inside the folds in my cloth.

I found that there seems to be a build up of film over a year+, like on any glass surface. However here is the one thing I can't say for sure, is the film some kind of coating done by Pioneer or simply just film build up from my environment ????

After I first used this cloth I went over my screen with the cloth from Pioneer. However there seemed to be some smearing on the screen, as you may see if you just use a cloth with no liquid added to clean a mirror.
So I used the "Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth" and went over the screen once more using lite to moderate pressure on the cloth and then went over with the cloth from Pioneer.

This time there seemed to be very little smearing if any.
The screen seemed to look like it did when it was new. And i used a magnifying glass with a light on it, both when my 141 was new and now after cleaning.

The PQ seemed to be a little brighter and clearer, colors are a little more defined.

The one question I can NOT tell for sure is, did I remove any coating from Pioneer.
However this cloth seems not to be able to remove any liquid spots like from a sneeze.

This is what Pioneer has to say about cleaning.
7.2 Cleaning Methods
Before cleaning your flat panel display, unplug the power cord from the outlet.
When cleaning the screen or the glossy front bezel, gently wipe with a clean, dry cloth such as the supplied
cleaning cloth or a similar type of soft cloth (e.g., cotton, flannel, etc.). Avoid a wet or damp cloth as that can let
moisture seep into the panel. A dusty or rough-textured cloth (or if you rub too hard), can scratch surfaces.
Note: Do not use liquid cleaners or aerosol cleaners on the screen.

So to sum up my findings, I am going to use a quote from ' Dirty Harry'. "Do you feel lucky, well do ya punk"

ss

Good advice and I plan to give it a shot this weekend. Every time I clena the windows in the same room I am amazed at how much more light comes in and how clear everything look outside. The same amount of dirt MUST be on the display. Its just glass like the window.s
post #4154 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

If you hoping for them to change again on that. I really doubt that you'll be seeing them ramp up and start producing plasma of their own design or any other type of TV technology again anytime soon, if ever again.

Probably a dumb question, but I wonder if the Kuro technology could be applied to LCDs? I know there was hope that Pioneer might license the Kuro "secret sauce" to another plasma mfr (such as Panasonic or whoever) to keep it alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Good advice and I plan to give it a shot this weekend. Every time I clena the windows in the same room I am amazed at how much more light comes in and how clear everything look outside. The same amount of dirt MUST be on the display. Its just glass like the window.s

Regarding the coating on the 141's glass, from what I understand it's on the outside of the glass. Why didn't they place on the inside of the glass to help protect it from harm should an owner use an everyday glass cleaner like Windex, etc? I've cleaned past TVs this way, such as my old Sony 34" tube and Hitachi 42/55HDX99 plasmas. I have not touched my 141's glass since hanging it on the wall back in May...probably overdue for a light dusting!

FREE TIBET! *
post #4155 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

Probably a dumb question, but I wonder if the Kuro technology could be applied to LCDs? I know there was hope that Pioneer might license the Kuro "secret sauce" to another plasma mfr (such as Panasonic or whoever) to keep it alive.

Regarding the coating on the 141's glass, from what I understand it's on the outside of the glass. Why didn't they place on the inside of the glass to help protect it from harm should an owner use an everyday glass cleaner like Windex, etc? I've cleaned past TVs this way, such as my old Sony 34" tube and Hitachi 42/55HDX99 plasmas. I have not touched my 141's glass since hanging it on the wall back in May...probably overdue for a light dusting!

Sort of defeats the purpose of the anti-reflective properties of the coating when you have a reflective glass pane in front of it.
post #4156 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm using two inputs on my 141. One is for my satellite the for my Bluray.
When watching satellite switch over to bluray and hit the picture size button for dot to dot. Then after awhile I'll switch back to the bluray and it displays "Auto" Full1, but the thing is I left it on "dot to dot". What I'm I doing wrong. I find it annoying I have to manually hit picture size for dot to dot.
post #4157 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

Sort of defeats the purpose of the anti-reflective properties of the coating when you have a reflective glass pane in front of it.

Ah, well now - duh.
I guess my stupid question o' the day has been asked!

FREE TIBET! *
post #4158 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
til

what to do after download controlcal? safe in a file format? what to do next? i have wins xp
with usb port. help, pioneer elite line never dies, including t.v.
post #4159 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

After using the Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth for the third time my screen looks great. What I think may of been happening before was I was also using the little cloth that came with are 141s. And imo is a waist of time to use, because the pioneer cloth seems to just push the dust around and can smear the screen.
The one thing this new cloth can't do is remove spots from any kind of liquid, or scratches.
I am guessing this is a good a good thing because as the owners manual says, liquid can seep into the coating of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post

When watching satellite switch over to bluray and hit the picture size button for dot to dot. Then after awhile I'll switch back to the bluray and it displays "Auto" Full1, but the thing is I left it on "dot to dot". What I'm I doing wrong. I find it annoying I have to manually hit picture size for dot to dot.

One of three things can be happening.
1st. You don't have things setup right for each HDMI input.
2nd. Depending on what button you press on your remote, can change your setting from DTD to Full 1.
3rd. Your BD player is not making a handshake (communicating properly) with your 141.

ss
post #4160 of 5273 Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what to do after download controlcal? safe in a file format? what to do next? i have wins xp
with usb port. help, pioneer elite line never dies, including t.v.

Here is the link for how to setup Controlcal and what you need.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...75&postcount=1

ss
post #4161 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post

One of three things can be happening.
1st. You don't have things setup right for each HDMI input.
2nd. Depending on what button you press on your remote, can change your setting from DTD to Full 1.
3rd. Your BD player is not making a handshake (communicating properly) with your 141.

ss

A fourth possibility is that you have "auto size" on in the Home menu->Screen->Auto size. See page 33 of your manual:
Quote:

5.2.1 Choose a Screen Size (Automatically or Manually)
Automatic Screen Sizing
The flat panel display can automatically select an appropriate screen size for a video signal coming from an HDMI device. To allow automatic screen sizing, follow the steps below.
1 ) Access Auto Size through the Screen menu.
2 ) Select Natural or Wide Zoom from the submenu.
3 ) Press HOME MENU to exit the menu.
Note: When a video signal contains no aspect ratio information, the Automatic Screen Size function is unavailable.

If you want the input to remain on dot by dot, you probably need to set this option to Off.

Dan.
post #4162 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

A fourth possibility is that you have "auto size" on in the Home menu->Screen->Auto size. See page 33 of your manual:

If you want the input to remain on dot by dot, you probably need to set this option to Off.

Dan.

Thanks I'll take a look at the screen size format.
post #4163 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi guys,

i'm just wondering what kind of HDMI cables you use with yr Pio plasma. mine will be installed sometime in the next 2-3weeks so i am in the process of purchasing cables to populate the inputs.

would apreciate the make and model/sieries so i can get an idea of what is popular and how much i should spend for each.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

CMM.
post #4164 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by galve2000 View Post

Hi guys,

i'm just wondering what kind of HDMI cables you use with yr Pio plasma. mine will be installed sometime in the next 2-3weeks so i am in the process of purchasing cables to populate the inputs.

would apreciate the make and model/sieries so i can get an idea of what is popular and how much i should spend for each.

CMM.

monoprice..

In search of video bliss...
post #4165 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi guys,

CMM.

Dont spend a lot. There is no need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10240
post #4166 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I currently use Monoprice cables for my 141. I have friends that use Blue Jeans cables. I don't think you can go wrong either way. In fact, if I had it to do over again I get the BJC Series-F2 model. See here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm

It's more flexible for my in wall and tight space constraints, yet has all the 1.3 specs down cold. Keep the run at/under 15' and you'll be good.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #4167 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I currently use Monoprice cables for my 141. I have friends that use Blue Jeans cables...

It's more flexible for my in wall and tight space constraints, yet has all the 1.3 specs down cold. Keep the run at/under 15' and you'll be good.

I have both MP and BJC HDMI cables and have been very happy with both. If you're needing flexibility for tight bends, I highly recommend this MP flat cable. I have a 10-footer installed in one continuous length between receiver and 141. It basically has to do two U-turns where it exists the wall behind the 141. The first turn heads towards the floor as the wall plate is above the centerline of the TV (right above the wall mount plate). It then does another turn back up into the HMDI connection of the 141. The flat cable does a great job of making these two turns without putting strain on the 141's connector.

You can see the upper U-turn at the bottom (left side of wall) of the picture below (two 10' HDMI cables, actually). The two plates in the middle are PowerBridges (one single, one dual, with corresponding plates behind the AV rack below), and the far right plate has capped off component + dual HDMI connectors from my old Hitachi TV *.

* I previously used HDMI wall plates with BJC cables in the wall for my previous Hitachi plasma, then short MP cable runs from upper wall to TV input and lower wall to receiver, but was experiencing dropouts/sparklies due to all the connections (six!). So when I upgraded to the 141, I added wall openings so that I could run a continuous cable as described above, with two connections only (one @ receiver, one @ 141). I do not have dropouts anymore.

If you have your choice between the two methods above, I'd recommend one continuous length, based on my personal experiences. Heck, at MP's low prices, run two or three cables for future needs!

FREE TIBET! *
post #4168 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi guys,

CMM.

I use Nordost Silver Screen High Definition HDMI cables for my kuro and my xbr8 and my qualia 006- they are the sweetest! I've compare them with kimber and ultralink hdmi cables and there is no comparison!

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #4169 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post

I use Nordost Silver Screen High Definition HDMI cables for my kuro and my xbr8 and my qualia 006- they are the sweetest! I've compare them with kimber and ultralink hdmi cables and there is no comparison!

accept every single comparison done proves that if an HDMI cable works then they are all the same as far as PQ and AQ goes

If im wrong point me towards a link.
post #4170 of 5273 Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You're not wrong

It's like -phile quality power cords. When you spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars for a cord - you are going to see/hear a difference. Never mind that it's just your imagination, pay no attention to the salesman pocketing your hard earned money.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page