post #4231 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

I do not travel to Del Rio.

Bummer, I'm only 2 1/2 hours out of San Antonio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiprox View Post

After a mind numbing reading through the first 65 pages of this thread, I couldn't wait any longer to post.

BTW, welcome to the forums! I'm sure you will be very happy with your 141...

Now keep a' reading!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #4233 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM

[quote=sillysally;17524522]Smart move getting D-Nice. Now that you have made your choice of calibrators, talk to D-Nice and tell him what your setup and room is, what types of programs you view. Ask him for suggestions on a Blu Ray player that would be a good match for your 141 and sound system. Also if you view SD films then you will need a good Blu Ray player that does a good job at up-scaling.

ss[/I purchased the BDP -23 Elite player and I'm very impressed with it goes great with 141 plazma.
QUOTE]
post #4234 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

He is based in the NY area. And as I said "as far as I know"
Things do change so if you are looking for a calibration then just ask D-Nice.

ss

He's actually in the South, not NYC. And he did travel to Massachusetts a month and a half ago and did a brief calibration tour here.
post #4235 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

He's actually in the South, not NYC.

Wrong Columbia*.

*That would be Columbia South Carolina not Columbia University.
post #4236 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

is 141 better than 151 in any respect?

According to Pioneer the Signature models are a step above the other Elites. The "details" are on their web site. Beyond that it's what matters to you. I have not interest in or use for a television and I prefer access to panel internals and IP control to HMG as well as a DVI connector over a USB port. Despite some controversy I also find blue-only-mode to be at least interesting. Drive mode I'm not so sure about.

But that's just me -- and I don't have a Signature I have a non-Signature so I have to put up with that amplifier.
post #4237 of 5275 Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 PM

[quote=gorky;17528864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Smart move getting D-Nice. Now that you have made your choice of calibrators, talk to D-Nice and tell him what your setup and room is, what types of programs you view. Ask him for suggestions on a Blu Ray player that would be a good match for your 141 and sound system. Also if you view SD films then you will need a good Blu Ray player that does a good job at up-scaling.

ss[/I purchased the BDP -23 Elite player and I'm very impressed with it goes great with 141 plazma.
QUOTE]

I did as well,,, I just got my BDP 23, got a great deal on it..
post #4238 of 5275 Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 AM

When I haven't played a dvd movie for a week and turn on the bluray and tv to watch it, the picture settings in "movie and Pure" have defaulted to factory.
Why is this happening?
post #4239 of 5275 Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post

When I haven't played a dvd movie for a week and turn on the bluray and tv to watch it, the picture settings in "movie and Pure" have defaulted to factory.
Why is this happening?

Check your player's output resolution (1080p/60, 1080p/24, 720p, etc). The 141 will remember different settings for different input signals, even from the same source.

Unless anyone else has other thoughts?

FREE TIBET! *
post #4240 of 5275 Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Greetings All,

I'm about to be a 141 owner, I just need pick which one of two available that I want. One has a serial number beginning with HLPM, the other IBPM. Is there any way to tell the manufacture date or any other information from the serial numbers?

I plugged them into Pioneer portal site (I can't post the link yet as I'm new here). Only the HLPM number came up as valid. The only real info was the factory measured white balance settings below. The IBPM serial came up as an invalid serial number, but I read earlier in this thread of others experiencing the same issue with supposedly valid numbers. I wouldn't know how to compare the white balance info anyway.

Thanks!

Ian

High x:0.3133 y:0.3238
Mid x:0.2846 y:0.289
Low x:0.2727 y:0.2755
post #4241 of 5275 Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM

i'm using the isf modes.

i have cable tv on input 5 and bluray on input 6.

i'd like to have oribter on mode 1 for cable and off for bluray so i don't have to keep switching it back and forth - anyone know if this is possible?

that man is my exact double. that dog has a puffy tail!
post #4242 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouhhan View Post

i'm using the isf modes.

i'd like to have oribter on mode 1 for cable and off for bluray so i don't have to keep switching it back and forth - anyone know if this is possible?

No....
post #4243 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel View Post

He's actually in the South, not NYC. And he did travel to Massachusetts a month and a half ago and did a brief calibration tour here.

D-Nice calibrated my 141 and my three other PDP's here in Ohio in early September.

All I could say is "Wow" when he finished. My professionally calibrated 141 is simply the best display I have ever seen.
post #4244 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

i'm using the isf modes.

why would you want it off? You cant notice it when its on. At least I havent been able to notice it.
post #4245 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It can do some funky things to resolution test patterns. Whether or not you're sensitive enough to pick it up during normal material is another story.

I personally keep it off at all times since I've personally found no compelling reason to use it. For Blu-Ray I imagine it'd be almost entirely useless since it's not going to do much of anything with black bars.
post #4246 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM

thanks for the replies.

definitely want bluray dot by dot and i'd like to have orbiter 1 on when watching cable for the logos.

i'm surprised if this isn't possible...

post #4247 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm using the isf modes.

I think this can be done and here's how:

Remember, Orbiter Mode 1 affects all modes except dot-by-dot (instruction manual, page 29 ).

The first thing to do is turn OFF Auto Size: Screen --> Auto Size = OFF

Then, select FULL for Cable (input 5) and dot-by-dot for Blu-ray (input 6). Now, since Orbiter 1 has no effect on dot-by-dot, it would not work while switched to a dot-by-dot source (input 6), but would work when on input 5.

Hope this helps.

If anyone thinks this doesn't work, you are welcome to correct me.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4248 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM

i've tried this but the orbiter mode still says it is on 'mode 1' when watching bluray.

now the more interesting question is whether it is really doing anything in dot by dot...

post #4249 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpat View Post

D-Nice calibrated my 141 and my three other PDP's here in Ohio in early September.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #4250 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i've tried this but the orbiter mode still says it is on 'mode 1' when watching bluray.

now the more interesting question is whether it is really doing anything in dot by dot...

Yes it will still show Orbiter mode 1, but as you rightfully speculate, it doesn't do any orbiting because mode 1 does not work on dot-by-dot mode. I think orbiter mode is a global setting and that's the reason it's shown as mode 1 on every input.

If you have the display setup like I've said, you are enjoying the exact outcome you wanted from the two sources.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #4251 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 PM

Close call.

I've been running the break in DVD on my new 141 on my HTPC.

Been playing it on media player classic set to repeat forever, and it's been pretty reliable.

Was busy at work last night and I crashed at the office, and I came home at 4pm the following day and noticed the dvd window was minimized. An itunes update minimized media player classic. I maximized the break in dvd window and I thought I had phosphor burn in. I could clearly see the itunes txt and images which was burnt into the solid background colors of the break in dvd. I felt like a moron and I had a strange desire to break all of my apple products. Instead, I ran the built in pioneer video pattern for an hour, and then started the break in dvd again, and luckily it was just IR. All of the retained image was gone.

I've had a 5020fd for a year and the picture still wows me. (broken in with the dvd and using DNice's settings). I bought a 141 cause of their great price and didn't want to regret not buying one since they've been discontinued. Can't wait to see the 141 in action (the breakin finishes tomorrow morning). I'm also wondering if I'll notice a big PQ improvement vs the non elite panel.

Planning on having both panels calibrated in a few weeks also, but I have to say DNice's settings give a fantastic picture on the 5020fd, and I'm looking forward to trying sillysal's settings on the 141 in the mean time.

I also just want to thank everybody's contribution to this thread and board. This is an incredible resource.
post #4252 of 5275 Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I configured your panel to only use the orbitor when the stretch mode is not Dot-by-Dot. As others have already said, Mode 1 does exactly that
post #4253 of 5275 Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Orbiter mode 2 doesn't work right anyway. Yes, it will shift the screen to the side, but it doesn't fill it in with anything so you're left with a column of black pixels. Basically it adds a very very thin black bar.

You have to leave it on for a while before it'll actually do anything, but then it's obvious when you see the gap and then turn the orbiter off or set it to mode 1.
post #4254 of 5275 Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclops View Post

Planning on having both panels calibrated in a few weeks also, but I have to say DNice's settings give a fantastic picture on the 5020fd, and I'm looking forward to trying sillysal's settings on the 141 in the mean time.

I used SS's settings on our 141 and those values worked very well, up until it was calibrated by Michael Chen (see my past postings) to squeeze out those last few drops of performance. We've had a few parties at the house lately, and people that get to see a demo are completely floored by the PQ. They have no idea something could look so amazing, compared to their 40" Vizio on out-of-the-box torch settings. You get what you pay for...

Like most everyone here, I would recommend a full-blown calibration for your specific room environment and gear after a few hundred hours of use - it's well worth the couple hundred bones...

Enjoy!

FREE TIBET! *
post #4255 of 5275 Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM

[quote=ibrandt;17535315]Greetings All,

I'm about to be a 141 owner, I just need pick which one of two available that I want. One has a serial number beginning with HLPM, the other IBPM. Is there any way to tell the manufacture date or any other information from the serial numbers?

Ian

Installed the 141 this weekend, paired with the SC25 and Oppo83. Absolutely amazing right out of the box!! My 141 has the HLPM serial # with no buzz, banding, blotches or dead/expiring pixels. No letterbox movies during break-in, but the full screen flicks are hard to find. I do love Planet Earth. I'll be running Evangel2's break-in disk when I get back down to Del Rio again next weekend to hasten the process.

Should I just try SS's settings, or should I really try to find a controlcal calibrator who's willing to come to Del Rio? Not having much luck with the latter right now.
Skip
post #4256 of 5275 Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 257
[quote=Skiprox;17546926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrandt View Post

Greetings All,

Installed the 141 this weekend, paired with the SC25 and Oppo83. Absolutely amazing right out of the box!! My 141 has the HLPM serial # with no buzz, banding, blotches or dead/expiring pixels. No letterbox movies during break-in, but the full screen flicks are hard to find. I do love Planet Earth. I'll be running Evangel2's break-in disk when I get back down to Del Rio again next weekend to hasten the process.

Should I just try SS's settings, or should I really try to find a controlcal calibrator who's willing to come to Del Rio? Not having much luck with the latter right now.
Skip

My ISF settings are just meant to give you some idea of what a full blown calibration is all about, and hopefully (fingers crossed) better PQ and overall easy of operating your 141 or 101.
As long as your Calibrator knows what they are doing, the outcome should always be better.
And that's why I recommend D-Nice and UMR. There is no doubt in my mind about the outcome of there work.

ss
post #4257 of 5275 Old 11-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Just wondering what you guys think

There's a noticeable buzzing coming from my 141 monitor. I know this is a known issue with this model.

Pioneer has offered to have one of their certified shops pick it up and diagnose it. I'm wondering if this will be a waste of time? If the repair shop won't be able to do something, I'd rather not be without the TV for a week or two while they look at it.
post #4258 of 5275 Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM

I just bit the bullet on a 141FD. I've always wanted an Elite tv and have been circling like a vulture for many years. First it was the x10, x20, and x30 series RPTV. Then the Elite plasmas. I went ahead and bought a 5070HD 3 years ago. It's the best picture I've enjoyed (and I've had a few displays in my life).

Not surprisingly with my luck, the Kuro's came out the year after I bought the 5070HD. With Kuro soon to leave the building, so to speak, I bought a 141FD two days ago while they were still available. I pick it up on Saturday.

My 5070HD is starting to buzz loudly. It was never this bad before. And now I read the Elites buzz as well. My fingers are crossed. This is a lot of coin I've spent for two Pioneer panels in 3 years. I hope my house doesn't sound like an A/C or refrigerator repair shop!

I'm going to call a repair guy to look at my 5070HD next week. Hopefully the loud noise can be reduced. I'm not looking for silence. I just want the ringing in my head to stop.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #4259 of 5275 Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
rest assured that you're in for a treat- buzz or not.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8 - Current Loves of my life.
post #4260 of 5275 Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM

After the first session he was coming back in the morning to get it right. As you can guess it has not gone well. He was spending to much time on the colour. After the session we looked at the two inputs he adjusted. It looked washed out, dull.
1) Satellite tv/hd
2)Blu-ray player
These are my two inputs.

Equipment: Pioneer SC-27 AVR
Pioneer elite BDP-23

I'll let you know how part two goes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page