Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4411 of 5273 Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually if you have your 141 hooked up to your network you dont need any software simply putting http://your_kuro_ip/cgi/isf.cgi will allow you to access and activate the ISF settings. Of course the adjustments this was a crude or at least very limited compared to using control cal.

On a side note, while the 141 is leaps above all others when it comes to network connection and control its still very crude in terms of what monitors could and should offer. i really hope that future displays develop this area. Ill upgrade my 141 as soon as something better comes along in the 60+ range, but will want this type of control included.

BTW I am starting to think it may be CES 2011 before we see something beat the 141.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 5273 Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

On a side note, while the 141 is leaps above all others when it comes to network connection and control its still very crude in terms of what monitors could and should offer.

Actually the full set of controls available via serial or IP control is quite rich. Pioneer simply chooses to obscure the facilities. I think the "pro" Panasonics are about as far as anyone is going to go with this sort of thing.

If you look at the range of control offered by professional gear it's obvious the manufacturers simply don't want typical consumers to see under the covers.

Not that any consumer needs to see real-time edge detection or frame histograms.
post #4413 of 5273 Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Actually if you have your 141 hooked up to your network you dont need any software simply putting http://your_kuro_ip/cgi/isf.cgi will allow you to access and activate the ISF settings. Of course the adjustments this was a crude or at least very limited compared to using control cal.

True, but it works better in KuroReader - without the forced-closed browser windows, pop-up browser remotes, or http errors that occur in the Internet Explorer. If Pioneer had only included a few more controls on the ISF web page like Gamma, Pure Cinema, and ColorSpace it would have been truly useful. As it stands it seems like a Pioneer-abandoned afterthought that is better suited as a quick way to tweak existing ControlCal created settings.
post #4414 of 5273 Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Wall Mount Question - Does anyone know if the Omnimount cantilever UCL-XB will work with a 141?
post #4415 of 5273 Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

For DVD film (480i) and your BD-83, set the BD-83 to 1080P, Deep color off (dithered), DVD forced 24 off, 1080p@24 on.
Matter of fact just leave these settings for BD film as well.

As the Oppo BD-83's firmware keeps evolving, it is sometimes helpful to make small changes in these and a few other settings.
Right now I have a BD-83NE and am running bata firmware, all these current settings work well as long as you have updated your Firmware to the official BD-83 firmware.

ss

SS - just a quick "thanks!" for your reply as I've been traveling for the holidays and haven't been on this thread for about a week. I'll get into the Oppo's menu* and see if my settings are per yours above.

* Actually, I'm scheduled to ship my Oppo BDP-83 back to Amazon when we get home because, before we left I experienced a few brief audio dropouts when watching Blu-rays with Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (Star Trek comes to mind). So I'll order another BDP-83 right before we fly home so that I won't be a day without one. I thought I read during the EAP that this Dolby TrueHD audio dropouts was an issue, though can't remember exactly...

BTW, happy holidays to everyone!!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #4416 of 5273 Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
What type of extension cord should be used if wall mounting and nary an electrical outlet is in sight?

Thanks.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #4417 of 5273 Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

What type of extension cord should be used if wall mounting and nary an electrical outlet is in sight?

Thanks.

The proper way is to have an outlet installed behind where the panel is going. I did this for both my Pio plasmas.
post #4418 of 5273 Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

The proper way is to have an outlet installed behind where the panel is going. I did this for both my Pio plasmas.

I agree, but can that be easily done if mounting on a brick wall?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #4419 of 5273 Old 12-24-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably one with a right-angle end. It would depend on the depth of your wall mount.

Quote:

I agree, but can that be easily done if mounting on a brick wall?

Sure if you're willing to mount the box on the surface and you can live with a panduit run. Actually that would probably be more attractive than a cord and it's easy to paint.
post #4420 of 5273 Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 PM

So I've had my 141 for about 3 weeks now, done my 150 hour breakin and now at 224 hours of use. I have it connected to my PS3, Xbox 360, and an HTPC from to sn Onkyo receiver thru hdmi. Here's what I found so far:

For me optimum gives me the best picture, followed by a basic calibrated Standard and a basic calibrated Pure.

When I say basic calibration I used the AVSHD 709 downloaded and calibrated brightness, contrast, color and sharpness.

For me pure doesn't have the pop and detail that I see with optimum or standard. Not as bright and the colors are not as vibrant as the other two.

Looking forward to getting control cal and trying out the ISF modes to see how much they'll improve on the picture that I get with standard and optimum.

The ultimate goal is to get this baby professionally calibrarted. Looks like David Abrams from Avical will be by in Colorado in May doing his calibration tour but I don't want to wait that long Any ISF certified calibrators in Colorado?
post #4421 of 5273 Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVR23 View Post

{snip} Here's what I found so far:

For me optimum gives me the best picture, followed by a basic calibrated Standard and a basic calibrated Pure.

{snip} The ultimate goal is to get this baby professionally calibrarted. Looks like David Abrams from Avical will be by in Colorado in May doing his calibration tour but I don't want to wait that long Any ISF certified calibrators in Colorado?

My wife and I liked Optimum mode the best. We purchased in July, had it installed in September, and Umr (Jeff Meier) came by and calibrated the panel a couple weeks ago.

Optimum is great, but will not stand up to Jeff's work. My wife is not interested in the technical details but still comments on my "good call" having the panel calibrated. The flesh tones are amazing.

Have it professionally calibrated. Jeff (http://www.accucal.org/) is the only calibrator with whom I have experience, and I (we) highly recommend him.

Chris
post #4422 of 5273 Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Looking forward to getting control cal and trying out the ISF modes to see how much they'll improve on the picture that I get with standard and optimum.

The ultimate goal is to get this baby professionally calibrarted. Looks like David Abrams from Avical will be by in Colorado in May doing his calibration tour but I don't want to wait that long Any ISF certified calibrators in Colorado?

Being in a hurry is very foolish. Most doing this type of work are horrible. I redo others work all the time. Most cannot get 1080p from these or set brightness properly much less do color well.
post #4423 of 5273 Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Being in a hurry is very foolish. Most doing this type of work are horrible. I redo others work all the time. Most cannot get 1080p from these or set brightness properly much less do color well.

Hi Jeff, can you please elaborate? Are you referring to the DIY route with control cal? And are you saying I need to break in the monitor more?
post #4424 of 5273 Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I don't want to wait that long Any ISF certified calibrators in Colorado?

Quote:

Being in a hurry is very foolish. Most doing this type of work are horrible.

Quote:

Hi Jeff, can you please elaborate?

Seems pretty clear. You should wait for someone who is checked off for Kuro ISFccc calibration. There's a list.
post #4425 of 5273 Old 12-26-2009, 09:42 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Hi Jeff, can you please elaborate? Are you referring to the DIY route with control cal? And are you saying I need to break in the monitor more?

How you break in the product is not very important. How you adjust it is much more important. Most DIY and professional attempts at adjustment are not optimal for either video or audio. Choosing a path based on speed of getting it done is less likely to get you great results than carefully selecting what will get you the results you can afford.

The other day for example I showed up to calibrate a display. After taking initial measurements it was clear someone else had trashed it. I asked the client if another had worked on it. He then said a guy spent two days trying to get it right. Instead he spent two days in the service mode wrecking it then the client foolishly hit the factory reset making it worse. He told me none of this before I arrived and had refused to schedule even a normal amount of time and was late to boot. I did not work on it since I had little time to figure out what they had done to it for days. Another which I did fix recently took ten hours to get right. I am going to start charging extra to fix these going forward.

Now the one client has a messed up set from his and anothers efforts. In the case of a 141 that big of a problem is not likely, but tossing your money at a poor job is not unlikely if you get in a rush.
post #4426 of 5273 Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak99 View Post

SS - just a quick "thanks!" for your reply as I've been traveling for the holidays and haven't been on this thread for about a week. I'll get into the Oppo's menu* and see if my settings are per yours above.

* Actually, I'm scheduled to ship my Oppo BDP-83 back to Amazon when we get home because, before we left I experienced a few brief audio dropouts when watching Blu-rays with Dolby TrueHD soundtracks (Star Trek comes to mind). So I'll order another BDP-83 right before we fly home so that I won't be a day without one. I thought I read during the EAP that this Dolby TrueHD audio dropouts was an issue, though can't remember exactly...

BTW, happy holidays to everyone!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Because I use analog out for my audio, when the BD-83SE/NE editions came out i ordered a new BD-83NE. Now that I am very satisfied with my Nuforce Edition, I sent my BD-83 to Oppo for there $299 upgrade.

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. And this is what I try to tell folks that ask me for a recommendation for a ISF calibrator.

ss
post #4427 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:

How you break in the product is not very important. How you adjust it is much more important. Most DIY and professional attempts at adjustment are not optimal for either video or audio. Choosing a path based on speed of getting it done is less likely to get you great results than carefully selecting what will get you the results you can afford.

The other day for example I showed up to calibrate a display. After taking initial measurements it was clear someone else had trashed it. I asked the client if another had worked on it. He then said a guy spent two days trying to get it right. Instead he spent two days in the service mode wrecking it then the client foolishly hit the factory reset making it worse. He told me none of this before I arrived and had refused to schedule even a normal amount of time and was late to boot. I did not work on it since I had little time to figure out what they had done to it for days. Another which I did fix recently took ten hours to get right. I am going to start charging extra to fix these going forward.

Now the one client has a messed up set from his and anothers efforts. In the case of a 141 that big of a problem is not likely, but tossing your money at a poor job is not unlikely if you get in a rush.

Thanks for elaborating Jeff Appreciate the advice everybody
post #4428 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Hello all. Happy holidays.

With our Boxing day behind us I am now turning to you folks whom I trust much more wrt to advice on PQ and overall aesthetic.

Very happy with my Signature Elite Kuro having Michael Chen drop by on his Toronto tour to calibrate with my BD09 and check in after his first visit. I did find though that my Pio Elite SC-07 seem to add some brightness to HDMI out. I am swapping that out for a SC-27 shortly so I will make those notes on the SC Receiver threads.

HOLIDAY BUYER Question. Given our taste buds for fluid motion, cinema quality BD/DVD and acceptable blacks. What would some of you suggest for a 37-40-42 HDTV (preferably not PDP) to be mounted in a quest bedroom? We just renovated and I must admit some of the BB and Futureshop choices here in Toronto do not come close to the build quality I am accustomed to with my Signature series. Budget is $1500-$1800 USD. It cannot be greater than 42". I am not a big sports fan but I cannot choose that content for our guests so I felt LCD or LED might be best. I have not done that level of research since last year for my Pioneer purchases.

Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Sorry to subject change on the thread ... again just trust many of you and your experiences. Wishing you all a great year ahead too. Cheers

Cary
Toronto
post #4429 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 10:06 AM

I have been reading and reading this and other threads but I can not find if the "buzz" problem with the 141's were ever corrected. I am not sure what the build date is on my TV..any update on the buzz situation? Thanks.
post #4430 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingrox View Post

I have been reading and reading this and other threads but I can not find if the "buzz" problem with the 141's were ever corrected. I am not sure what the build date is on my TV..any update on the buzz situation? Thanks.

There is no way to fix the buzzing. This is normal for plazma's especially the larger screens.
post #4431 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM

I know all Plasmas make some buzzing noise but it seems that 141's have been worse then others. One guy went through 5 different TV's trying to get one with an acceptable amount of noise. How bad is it? I guess I am wondering if the early build dates tende to be louder then the more recently built ones?
post #4432 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Hey guys does any one know what the film mode setting is in optimum? Is it possible to set Film Mode to advance in optimum?

Thanks!
post #4433 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I know all Plasmas make some buzzing noise but it seems that 141's have been worse then others. One guy went through 5 different TV's trying to get one with an acceptable amount of noise. How bad is it? I guess I am wondering if the early build dates tende to be louder then the more recently built ones?

1. As stated above, all plasmas buzz to some extent. All three of my Pioneers do (5080, 500M and 600M). The 600M is the loudest, which makes sense as it is the biggest.

2. None of my displays, however, buzzes loudly enough to be noticeable at normal listening volume. Even at quieter volumes, the buzz is not really distinguishable from normal everyday household noises (fridge, furnace running, AC on, cars going by, etc.).

3. Don't make the mistake of importing someone else's perceptions regarding what he claims is an unacceptable amount of noise into your own thinking. This is the surest way to set yourself up for imagining a problem where none actually exists.

So many people drove themselves nuts over what is basically a non-issue that it snowballed into a mass hysteria reaction. Really, the best thing you can do is get the display installed, set it up and enjoy it without looking for trouble.
post #4434 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys does any one know what the film mode setting is in optimum? Is it possible to set Film Mode to advance in optimum?

KuroReader will answer the first question (Standard).
Controls that are grayed out cannot be changed.

Great googly moogly -- there should be a Kuro FAQ
post #4435 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How bad is it? I guess I am wondering if the early build dates tende to be louder then the more recently built ones?

You should read the Buzz Thread. They have a poll. However since the perceptual response to panel buzz is completely idiosyncratic no one can answer the question for you. Really. I'm not kidding.
post #4436 of 5273 Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

KuroReader will answer the first question (Standard).
Controls that are grayed out cannot be changed.

Great googly moogly -- there should be a Kuro FAQ

Thanks Bodosom
post #4437 of 5273 Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I have owned my set up here in Toronto, Ontario for a few weeks now. I love it. The WAF is now through the roof. When I first had it up and running, she said the picture looked just as good as my old Sony A20 LCD Rear Projection!!

Her tune has since changed after moving from HD cable, to real 1080P blu ray. It only took 20 mins watching Batman, Transformers 2, and Monsters Inc, and she was sold. A few times, I caught her saying things like wow! I of course pointed it out.

This buzz everyone keeps talking about, give it up! Anyone here who has had a rear projection can tell you what a real buzz is! This so called buzz is almost impossible to hear with out any volume. Turn up the volume anything past the loudness of a mouse fart, and you cannot hear a thing. It is a non-issue that has been over-hyped by worried people. Example...My blu ray player makes more noise than this tv!

Picture; for those of you sitting on the fence about buying one, rest any fears you have. It is just amazing, in fact, mind blowing. Sometimes, I actually have to stop and re-watch something because it was so unreal!

Audio; clearly, the tv does not have speakers, hence why its a monitor.

I got mine shipped. I paid the hundred dollars to ensure my arse was covered in case something went wrong. Supply is dwindling, I suggest any perspective buyer do the same.

Once sears.ca finds my damn tv stand that has been lost for three weeks, I shall take pictures of my set-up and show.

I have never shelled out this sort of money for anything other than a vehicle. I am glad I did, and I have no regrets. I doubt any tv will match or best this thing in the next few years. I look forward to years of enjoyment.

I did not do any break-in. I watch 99% HD content. I will be getting a professional calibration in the next few months. I look forward to seeing the improvements.

Pull the trigger and enjoy, time is running out.
post #4438 of 5273 Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper359 View Post

Well, I have owned my set up here in Toronto, Ontario for a few weeks now. I love it. The WAF is now through the roof. When I first had it up and running, she said the picture looked just as good as my old Sony A20 LCD Rear Projection!!

Congrats Viper, I'm in Oakville and have had mine for about 16 months now and can't describe how much I love this thing

Cheers

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #4439 of 5273 Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Wall mounted for 3 months now...

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #4440 of 5273 Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Went in to my local BB yesterday to return a cable. I wandered over to the plasma area to browse and see what was new. They had a demo 141 on the wall that they were trying to unload at a great price. They couldn't tell me how many hours were on it though. I asked just for fun if they had a new one but the sales guy said no. He even called around locally without any luck. The manager wandered over and pushed hard on the demo, but I said I really wanted a new one if I was going to buy one. (of course I was just there to return a cable.) He tracked me down about 10 minutes later in the store and said he found a brand new one in another state and could have it to me in a week. Needless to say I walked out of there with one less cable and a new 141 on the way! I should have had my wife return the cable...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page