post #1891 of 5275 Old 12-24-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

Probably everyone who gets one will ask the same question--what are the definitive settings for breaking in the display? I have the break-in DVD.

the settings are in this tread, or simply use the same ones from the 9G thread (same stuff). You dont need to have exact settings for a break in like you do for calibration which may be obvious to many, but not all.

100 hours of break in for the 141 is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5275 Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right, I know they're somewhere in the threads. The problem is, where? This thread is 64 pages long, and the 9G thread is longer. Searching for break-in brings up zillions of hits. You wouldn't happen to know roughly where in the thread they're posted?
post #1893 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Right, I know they're somewhere in the threads. The problem is, where? This thread is 64 pages long, and the 9G thread is longer. Searching for break-in brings up zillions of hits. You wouldn't happen to know roughly where in the thread they're posted?

Here you go. Look for the 141 break in settings.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14384866

When I used D-Nice's break in setting's. I set contrast at 45 and color at +10.
I broke my 141 in for about 150 hours, but that's only because I only watch BD films.
The main thing to remember is use source material that fills your screen and no static images for more than 15 min at a time for the first 150 hours.

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1894 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks!
post #1895 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

if you connect your 141 to your network you can send yourself a test email which says how many hours have been used on the display.

thanks i will give it a try, will try to pull a cable to it. Wish they had wireless like the PS3
post #1896 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 08:05 PM

Hello and happy holidays. I am taking delivery of a 141 next week. The room in which the 141 will be setup includes a couch that is about 12 feet away from the wall the 141 will be mounted on. What is the conventional wisdom on how high the bottom edge of the 141 should be off the floor?

Thanks.

Jacob P.
post #1897 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 08:07 PM

I have D-Nice's recommended breakin settings to be used on the 141 with the breakin DVD. My question is what do I do after I am done with break-in. Do I return the changed settings back to where they were before I started the breaki-in, or is there something else that I am supposed to do?

Jacob P.
post #1898 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp View Post

Hello and happy holidays. I am taking delivery of a 141 next week. The room in which the 141 will be setup includes a couch that is about 12 feet away from the wall the 141 will be mounted on. What is the conventional wisdom on how high the bottom edge of the 141 should be off the floor?

Thanks.

IMO 27 inches.
post #1899 of 5275 Old 12-25-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have D-Nice's recommended breakin settings to be used on the 141 with the breakin DVD. My question is what do I do after I am done with break-in. Do I return the changed settings back to where they were before I started the breaki-in, or is there something else that I am supposed to do?

after you are supposed to get it calibrated. Honestly do not skip this step. After break in and before calibration run it in Pure Mode.

Again, do not skip the calibration.
post #1900 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 05:57 AM

Thanks Vancouver. I'm already scheduled for a calibration in March. So if I understand the process correctly: 1. Use the Evangelo2 Break-In DVD with D-Link's recommended break-in settings, for 150 hours. 2. After Break-In and before calibration, use PURE mode to watch TV and movies. 3. Have professional calibration performed.

Thanks.

Jacob P.
post #1901 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

"What is the conventional wisdom on how high the bottom edge of the 141 should be off the floor?"

We set up displays by figuring out the average height above the floor of a viewer's eyes when sitting on the couch and looking straight and level at the wall, and make the display's horizontal centerline have that same height above the floor.

Once you've established a centerline that way, it works for any size of display (because the viewer's eyes will always be in the same location, unless you get a different couch), so mounting new displays just involves positioning the bracket's centerline on the established centerline.
post #1902 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello and happy holidays. I am taking delivery of a 141 next week. The room in which the 141 will be setup includes a couch that is about 12 feet away from the wall the 141 will be mounted on. What is the conventional wisdom on how high the bottom edge of the 141 should be off the floor? Thanks.

it's your display and you need to determine what you like the best for your viewing setup. until the Pro141 comes in just get a peice of cardboard cut to the pro141 size and experiment to see what you like the best.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #1903 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Vancouver. I'm already scheduled for a calibration in March. So if I understand the process correctly: 1. Use the Evangelo2 Break-In DVD with D-Link's recommended break-in settings, for 150 hours. 2. After Break-In and before calibration, use PURE mode to watch TV and movies. 3. Have professional calibration performed.

Thanks.

correct. Set the screen size to full1. You will notice not only with colors etc look better after calibration, but it will also have more punch.
post #1904 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Our 141 is being installed today. Once it's installed, I'm going to follow the break-in steps (and thank you very much everyone who has contributed to those!). But I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere:

I have an external scaler. Once the display is broken in, I plan to set the display in dot-for-dot mode, and drive it from the scaler. But during break-in, should I do that, or should I send an un-upconverted DVD signal to the display, and let the display do the upconversion, or does it matter? I can't put the display in Orbiter mode 1 with dot-for-dot enabled, and the break-in instrucations say to use mode 1, which is what got me started thinking about this.

Assuming I should let the display upconvert during break-in, what should I send to it from the scaler? Just 480i?
post #1905 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Our 141 is being installed today. Once it's installed, I'm going to follow the break-in steps (and thank you very much everyone who has contributed to those!). But I have a question I haven't seen answered anywhere:

I have an external scaler. Once the display is broken in, I plan to set the display in dot-for-dot mode, and drive it from the scaler. But during break-in, should I do that, or should I send an un-upconverted DVD signal to the display, and let the display do the upconversion, or does it matter? I can't put the display in Orbiter mode 1 with dot-for-dot enabled, and the break-in instrucations say to use mode 1, which is what got me started thinking about this.

Assuming I should let the display upconvert during break-in, what should I send to it from the scaler? Just 480i?

The reason for the break-in is to accelerate the break-in time and to have a uniformed pattern on your display.

As far as up converting goes. It doesn't matter. What ever you like best.

As far as using a external scaler goes, why do you want to use one with your 141 ?

Does the break-in instructions call for Dot to Dot mode? Why do you want to use Dot to Dot for break-in ? And as long as your break-in pattern doesn't hang up there is no need for Orbiter. However you could put Orbiter mode to 2.

I leave Orbiter off, because I only use my 141 for movies. Therefor there is no static images and no need to have Orbiter turned on.

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1906 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks!

I use the external scaler because it is better than what's in the 141.
post #1907 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Hey guys, quick question

If I were to buy a user friendly home based calibration DVD, what would you reccommend?

And does anyone know of professional calibrators in Edmonton, Alberta?

Thanks for your input
post #1908 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

"I leave Orbiter off, because I only use my 141 for movies. Therefor there is no static images and no need to have Orbiter turned on."

Do you resize 2.35:1 movies to fill the screen vertically? If not, you still have black bars, and those can cause image persistence.
post #1909 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post

Hey guys, quick question

If I were to buy a user friendly home based calibration DVD, what would you reccommend?

And does anyone know of professional calibrators in Edmonton, Alberta?

Thanks for your input

Buy Digital Video Essentials

I would recommend Michael TLV to calibrate. He is out of Calgary and is one of the industry's best.

http://www.lionav.com/mmichaelchen.php
post #1910 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

I found a glitch with our 141 I'm hoping someone can help with.

We live in the Santa Cruz mountains (about 90 minutes south of San Francisco). We have bad power from the power company, and no generator. So, every time there's a storm, we get power outages, ranging from a couple of minutes to several days (the record for our neighborhood is six).

On our old flat panel, which we replaced with the 141, when the power went out, we had to be very careful to unplug the panel, because otherwise when the power came back on, if we had been watching something, it came back on not in standby mode, but in display mode. And when the DVD player came back on, it opened the tray and displayed "OPEN" on the flat panel. For however long it was before we found this out and shut it off.

We had hoped the Pioneer engineers would realize that this is dangerous, but, sadly, when I tested the 141 by pulling the power plug out of the wall while playing the break-in DVD and then plugging the power back in, the thing came on in display mode, not standby. So it has the exact same potentially fatal design flaw.

Does anyone know if there's a way to configure the 141 to fail open instead of closed in the event of a power outage? Ideally it would not even come up in standby mode, but stay off until the power switch is pressed. But I'd settle for it coming up in standby mode.

If there's no solution to this in software, I'll have to install a deadman cutout in the wall.
post #1911 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
what are the advantages of the signature series over the standard elite? other than a thinner set? also, i thought these sets were exposed to 100hr break in before being able to be sold? are there any nags with the signature series as opposed to the standard elite?

thanks.
post #1912 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

what are the advantages of the signature series over the standard elite? other than a thinner set? also, i thought these sets were exposed to 100hr break in before being able to be sold? are there any nags with the signature series as opposed to the standard elite?

thanks.

the fact that it has a web server, but thats really it. Those two features make it better in my book considering they are priced the same.

there are others small differences in set up that most people will never use. i.e. be able to control fan speed etc?
post #1913 of 5275 Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thinner was a consideration for us--it improves the imaging between our front speakers.

The 141 is *really* thin. We're liking it so far. Just wish it wouldn't burn out after a power outage.
post #1914 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"I leave Orbiter off, because I only use my 141 for movies. Therefor there is no static images and no need to have Orbiter turned on."

Do you resize 2.35:1 movies to fill the screen vertically? If not, you still have black bars, and those can cause image persistence.

No I do not re size anything. Orbiter will not help much with letter box film. imo Orbiter may cause jidder in some scenes. Thats why in my ISF settings I have Obiter off. I also have a Lumagen, but would never use it in my chain for my 141.

I don't mount my 141 on the wall because of the benefits I gain by having my 141 2 feet from the wall so my back reflects off my light gray wall.

I have one goal. And that is the best picture I can get from my 141.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #1915 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

On our old flat panel, which we replaced with the 141, when the power went out, we had to be very careful to unplug the panel, because otherwise when the power came back on, if we had been watching something, it came back on not in standby mode, but in display mode. And when the DVD player came back on, it opened the tray and displayed "OPEN" on the flat panel. For however long it was before we found this out and shut it off.

We had hoped the Pioneer engineers would realize that this is dangerous, but, sadly, when I tested the 141 by pulling the power plug out of the wall while playing the break-in DVD and then plugging the power back in, the thing came on in display mode, not standby. So it has the exact same potentially fatal design flaw.

Does anyone know if there's a way to configure the 141 to fail open instead of closed in the event of a power outage? Ideally it would not even come up in standby mode, but stay off until the power switch is pressed. But I'd settle for it coming up in standby mode.

If there's no solution to this in software, I'll have to install a deadman cutout in the wall.

Have you considered the power management options? Section 5.6, p.45 of the manual. You have "AV Source - No signal" and "AV Source - Non operational". Using those, I believe that the most the screen could be on is 3 hours, which should not be that much of a problem if the "Open" message from the DVD is not torch white....

Dan.
post #1916 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

The "OPEN" message is pure white!

I'll see if I can figure out what AV source non-operational means. The "OPEN" message is a signal, so AV source no-signal doesn't look like it will work.
post #1917 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Some initial impressions of the 141:

- Very thin. Lays practically flat against the wall.

- Looks great when turned off.

- Looks great when turned on.

- No sign of blotches.

- No dead pixels. None.

- No fan noise. None.

- Slight (very slight, almost inaudible) buzz if we put our heads closer than 18" to the screen, but we tend not to watch TV from 18" (more like 12'), so it's really not a problem.
post #1918 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

I'm running the break-in DVD, and the player sees chapters. I thought it had no chapters--was just one big chapter. Is that not the case? I burned it using the .iso file in the Zip, so there wasn't much I could screw up.
post #1919 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

I'm running the break-in DVD, and the player sees chapters. I thought it had no chapters--was just one big chapter. Is that not the case? I burned it using the .iso file in the Zip, so there wasn't much I could screw up.

Based on some work I participated in at SRI International a few years ago, you should be more concerned about surges when your power comes back on.

I have son and a sister-in-law that live in your area, so I'm very familiar with your power problems. In your situation, I would also look for a surge protector that includes line conditioning.

I would also disconnect the display from it's power source any time there is a power failure. That's the best surge protection possible.

Calibration Resources:

post #1920 of 5275 Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

The problem is, we might not be home when the power comes back on.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page