Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a spreadsheet that makes it easy to track hours of break-in.

There are two worksheets, one if you always log times during the same day (in which case you only have to enter time, not date), and another in which you log dates and times so it can rollover to multiple days.

I would post it, but I don't see how to attach files to this forum. Is there another place to upload a file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

The problem is, we might not be home when the power comes back on.

If I were you I would look at an APC unit with a battery back up. The back up battery kicks in when the power goes out, and if your monitor is in standby the battery will last hours...days even maybe. The other good things you get with the APC is having all your components grounded, surge protection, conditioning , indicators (power usage etc).

I have an APC unit rebaged by Rotel and I love it.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=310
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, we have outages lasting multiple days, so every UPS we've tried runs out of power.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...?do=ad&id=8372

Just wanted to share a dealer special on the 141
Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a spreadsheet that makes it easy to track hours of break-in. ...

The 141 can send you an E-Mail with the total number of hours in operation (along with other info) in a test message as well as other alerts. Check the first post in this thread for information on this networking feature.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

The problem is, we might not be home when the power comes back on.

I would not run the break-in test patterns when you are not at home. If there was a power failure when you are at home, then unplug before the power comes back on.

How does your Kuro react if it's in standby when the power is lost and comes back on? If you protect your display with good surge protection from Bilkin, APC or other top companies, it should be fine if it remains in standby when the power is restored in your absence.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

"The 141 can send you an E-Mail with the total number of hours in operation"

It can if it's hooked up to a network, but ours isn't.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

"I would not run the break-in test patterns when you are not at home. If there was a power failure when you are at home, then unplug before the power comes back on."

That's what we would do, except the super-thin mounting bracket leaves almost no space behind the unit to get to the A/C cord!

"How does your Kuro react if it's in standby when the power is lost and comes back on?"

It comes back on out of standby, or at least it did if a signal was present. Basically, it remembers the previous state, unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

"I would not run the break-in test patterns when you are not at home. If there was a power failure when you are at home, then unplug before the power comes back on."

That's what we would do, except the super-thin mounting bracket leaves almost no space behind the unit to get to the A/C cord!

Your mounting choice seems to be creating some unintended consequences.

Quote:

"How does your Kuro react if it's in standby when the power is lost and comes back on?"

It comes back on out of standby, or at least it did if a signal was present. Basically, it remembers the previous state, unfortunately.

If you are in standby to begin with, why would there be a signal present when the power comes back on?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested in featuring the black levels of your 141 check out the BD version of million dollar baby. I am sure there are many examples, but this one is great.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you are in standby to begin with, why would there be a signal present when the power comes back on?

I think the issue is that if the power goes out while he's watching TV, he might not be there when the power comes back, and unplugging it in that case is a PITA.

One alternative: The 141FD has an "Integrator" mode where you could specify that when the TV is powered on, it switches to a certain input. You could set it to change to an unused input. In that case, as an added bonus, the no-signal power off would be activated after only 15 minutes. The down side is that every time you power it on, you would need to change the input. If you have a programmable universal remote (I'm thinking Harmony here), that is a non-issue since it can be "fixed" by proper remote programming.

Details on accessing integrator mode are on page 70 and the input selection is "power on mode" on page 73.

CAUTION: ENTERING INTEGRATOR MODE WILL RESET YOUR "PICTURE" SETTINGS TO THE DEFAULT "INTEGRATOR" SETTINGS FOR ALL INPUTS.

Hope this helps!

Dan.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

"If you are in standby to begin with, why would there be a signal present when the power comes back on?"

Because the DVD player opens the tray when it is restarted from no power, and that sends an "OPEN" signal to the scaler, which wakes up and sends a signal to the TV.

Why the TV then turns on is a mystery. It seems like a bad design choice, but that's what it does.

"The 141FD has an "Integrator" mode where you could specify that when the TV is powered on, it switches to a certain input. You could set it to change to an unused input. In that case, as an added bonus, the no-signal power off would be activated after only 15 minutes."

That's very helpful--thank you!

Regarding the caution: "ENTERING INTEGRATOR MODE WILL RESET YOUR "PICTURE" SETTINGS TO THE DEFAULT "INTEGRATOR" SETTINGS FOR ALL INPUTS"--is there a way to save my original settings?

If so, then the manual steps for initializing the display would be:

- Turn it on.

- Exit integrator mode.

- Select the desired input.

- Restore the desired settings.

If so, that could be programmed on a remote.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
is there a way to save my original settings?

Entering/Exiting the Integrator Menu won't reset the ISFccc Memories though (3 per Input: isf Night, isf Day and isf Auto)..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Oh. My. Goodness.

This is by far the best picture I've ever seen, and it's not even broken in yet, and we don't even have our new scaler or Blu-ray player.

It was really really really good in the store, but in our living room, with the lights off and the 5.1 system cranked up, it's like... well... it's better than any other display I've ever seen, including zillion-dollar projectors and CRTs.

Money well spent.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh. My. Goodness.

This is by far the best picture I've ever seen, and it's not even broken in yet, and we don't even have our new scaler or Blu-ray player.

It was really really really good in the store, but in our living room, with the lights off and the 5.1 system cranked up, it's like... well... it's better than any other display I've ever seen, including zillion-dollar projectors and CRTs.

Money well spent.

you dont even have blu ray yet?

you think you are impressed now...
Old 12-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

"If you are in standby to begin with, why would there be a signal present when the power comes back on?"

Because the DVD player opens the tray when it is restarted from no power, and that sends an "OPEN" signal to the scaler, which wakes up and sends a signal to the TV.

Why the TV then turns on is a mystery. It seems like a bad design choice, but that's what it does.

"The 141FD has an "Integrator" mode where you could specify that when the TV is powered on, it switches to a certain input. You could set it to change to an unused input. In that case, as an added bonus, the no-signal power off would be activated after only 15 minutes."

That's very helpful--thank you!

Regarding the caution: "ENTERING INTEGRATOR MODE WILL RESET YOUR "PICTURE" SETTINGS TO THE DEFAULT "INTEGRATOR" SETTINGS FOR ALL INPUTS"--is there a way to save my original settings?

If so, then the manual steps for initializing the display would be:

- Turn it on.

- Exit integrator mode.

- Select the desired input.

- Restore the desired settings.

If so, that could be programmed on a remote.

It's simpler than that. First of all, as Turbe mentionned, if you ever use ControlCAL or get your set professionally calibrated, then you don't have to worry about loosing those ISF settings. In the meantime:

A) Setup (you need to this only once):

- If you have changed any "picture" settings, note them down on paper
- Enter Integrator mode
- Select desired input to an unused input
- Exit integrator mode
- Restore "picture" settings

B) Daily use:
- Power on the unit
- Change the input selection.

"Advanced" tip: Until you start using the ISF memories, if you tweak and get "picture" settings you really like, note them down, go into the integrator menu and you can program them in there. Afterwards, if anyone changes the picture settings, you can enter the integrator menu and all the "picture" settings get reset to the values you prefer. (Ref manual p.71: Picture Preset: Use this option to preset the Picture adjustment values for the Home Menu).

And +1 on what Vancouver said, just wait until you get Blu-ray...

Dan.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! After break-in, we're getting it calibrated.

Our Blu-ray player is en route but hasn't arrived yet.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

if you connect your 141 to your network you can send yourself a test email which says how many hours have been used on the display.

ok finally got the network to work. It is not too user friendly. anyways it seems like total hours of usage is about 6 hours since I watched about 3 hours myself. Aside from the loud buzz it is a new unit.

I tried to bypass the elite receiver for my component dvd conneciton and the bands went away. is the elite receiver adding the bands in? I cannot seem to figure it out. cable also.

Transmission trigger event : TEST MAIL
Model PRO-141FD
Name Kuro
Location Home
Installation date Dec 2008
Serial number HIPM00
Usage time 000010 hours
Service code -05M
Power status OFF
Power count 00006
INPUT INPUT2
Signal ********* ***.*
Temperature Temp1 :*** Temp2 :000
Temp3 :000 Panel :000
Failure information SD/PD :
1st : 2nd :
Operation record
1st INPUT4 000009H 53M
2nd INPUT5 000009H 53M
3rd INPUT1 000009H 55M
4th INPUT2 000009H 56M
5th Power off 000010H 02M
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenuity1996 View Post

ok finally got the network to work. It is not too user friendly. anyways it seems like total hours of usage is about 6 hours since I watched about 3 hours myself. Aside from the loud buzz it is a new unit.

I tried to bypass the elite receiver for my component dvd conneciton and the bands went away. is the elite receiver adding the bands in? I cannot seem to figure it out. cable also.

Model PRO-141FD
Name Kuro
Location Home
Serial number HIPM00
Usage time 000010 hours
Service code -05M
Power status OFF
Power count 00006
INPUT INPUT2
Signal ********* ***.*
Operation record
1st INPUT4 000009H 53M
2nd INPUT5 000009H 53M
3rd INPUT1 000009H 55M
4th INPUT2 000009H 56M

good for you for getting your 141 hooked up to your network correctly. You are correct in that the setup is not user friendly. During your break in period it is very useful to send yourself test emails in order to see the total hours.

After you are done I would suggest setting it to send you an email update every 500 hours or so. I think the feature of the email after break in period and beyond the cool factor will most come in handy for any warranty issue.

If your comp is close to your display you may find it easier to make changes to AV selection and screen size via the web browser rather then remote. I find it faster and less annoying to cycle through selections via the remote.

Enjoy your new display and please post some pics.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Is the 'Hour Usage feature' unique only to the 141 or does the 151 have it also?????
Does anyone know?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The "hour usage feature" is a function of the IP control which is unique to the Signature series monitors.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM

I display photos on my 141 using Apple TV. Can someone tell me what the optimal image resolution and size I should save the photos to for this monitor?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post

I display photos on my 141 using Apple TV. Can someone tell me what the optimal image resolution and size I should save the photos to for this monitor?

Thanks,

Ken

i would say the higher the better...why wouldnt you want them to be the best resolution possible.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I just purchased a Mac Mini.. I'll be checking it out on my 141 (I've read that some have had some overscan issues).....

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenuity1996 View Post

Model PRO-141FD
Name Kuro
Location Home
Serial number HIPM00
Usage time 000010 hours
Service code -05M
Power status OFF
Power count 00006
INPUT INPUT2
Signal ********* ***.*
Operation record
1st INPUT4 000009H 53M
2nd INPUT5 000009H 53M
3rd INPUT1 000009H 55M
4th INPUT2 000009H 56M

one other thing to point out not shown in your list here. If you send yourself at test email when viewing a source it will tell you the source type. I find this useful when wanting to confirm my display is receiving a 1080p 24 signal.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:22 AM

I am a new owner of a 141 and first i'd like to thank all of you for the insights you've shared on this site. It has been very helpful.

I, like many, am struggling to figure out how to setup the TV for network application. I use Verizon FIOS for my email service. The SMTP server name is outgoing.verizon.net. I see that people are saying that you need to enter the Mail Server IP address (the actual number), in the Mail Server (SMTP) field on the TV. How or where would I find that number for my situation. thanks.

Jacob P.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 AM

I have tried entering the my serial no. at the certificate site (www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC) using Firefox, Safari, and IE, but I get an "invalid serial no." error every time. And yes, I know that you just enter the first four letters and six numbers, and leave off the UC when you enter the information. Can someone else confirm that the site is down, or am I doing something wrong. Thanks.

Jacob P.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp View Post

I have tried entering the my serial no. at the certificate site (www.pioneerelectronics.com/portal/site/EC) using Firefox, Safari, and IE, but I get an "invalid serial no." error every time. And yes, I know that you just enter the first four letters and six numbers, and leave off the UC when you enter the information. Can someone else confirm that the site is down, or am I doing something wrong. Thanks.

The site works fine!..........enter all (including the UC) of the serial number in UPPER CASE.

John
Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannison View Post

The site works fine!..........enter all (including the UC) of the serial number in UPPER CASE.

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I included the UC and it worked fine. Now, can someone tell me how to find the SMTP (actual number) address for Verizon FIOS email (POP server) for the network connection.

Jacob P.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp View Post

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I included the UC and it worked fine. Now, can someone tell me how to find the SMTP (actual number) address for Verizon FIOS email (POP server) for the network connection.

Open up a Command Window (XP/Vista, START/RUN, type CMD and press ENTER) and type: Ping outgoing.verizon.net (if that is your Provider's SMTP Server Name).

ControlCAL™