Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check out this article, "A Filmmaker's Guide to Why You Need to Calibrate Your HDTV Today" at HomeTheaterReview.com ...

http://www.hometheaterreview.com/av-...oday002342.php

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Has anyone successfully gotten their 141FD/101FD to send E-mail alerts using Verizon FiOS?

I have the correct SMTP server address and am aware that FiOS requires authentication. I am positive my ID and password are correct.

If anyone has received E-mail from the Monitor over FiOS please share your setup tips and secrets with me.

Thanks,

David
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post

Has anyone successfully gotten their 141FD/101FD to send E-mail alerts using Verizon FiOS?

I have the correct SMTP server address and am aware that FiOS requires authentication. I am positive my ID and password are correct.

If anyone has received E-mail from the Monitor over FiOS please share your setup tips and secrets with me.

Thanks,

David

David,
I'm in the same position as you. I have Verizon FIOS and a 141 and have been completely unable to get the monitor to send me an email. If you get any helpful responses, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Jacob

Jacob P.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Treasure your Kuro's & Elite's ... sadly it appears to be the end of the line for Pioneer Plasma TV's ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-101...ml?tag=nl.e702

Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob View Post

Treasure your Kuro's & Elite's ... sadly it appears to be the end of the line for Pioneer Plasma TV's ...

You're a little late.

Pioneer To End TV Production -- 1491 posts and still going!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

My local dealer sold 5 Pioneer Elite's last week when people found out about Pioneer's exit from the TV market.

Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi I've been following the tread. Any recomendations on hwere or who to buy from? Thank you for any info.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobp View Post

David,
I'm in the same position as you. I have Verizon FIOS and a 141 and have been completely unable to get the monitor to send me an email. If you get any helpful responses, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Jacob

Jacob,

If I am lucky enough to have someone with FiOS respond, I will be sure to share the information with you.

David
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM

Hello everybody,

Does anybody know what Stand-Bracket would work with 141; I am renting and I can't mount "it" on the wall,

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dan.

Thread: Signature Elite 141 Owners Thread Reply to Thread
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Is there a way to predict the life expectancy of a Pioneer 141FD?

Am sure any answer would start with "It depends on....", but would still appreciate hearing any rough estimates on how long one could plan to own this monitor.

What would likely cause the 141FD to reach its end? Do plasma cells eventually lose their ability to take a charge? Is there some board or two that, should they break, will be difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace?

Just got an email (via Comcast) from my monitor -- 250 hours. Just a baby and yet, given the news that at some point we all will be shopping for a different vendor's display, am simply curious how long you would predict before we would be forced to do so.

Am hoping that it will be many years before we hit the true end-of-life on service and parts. Am hoping even more strongly that monitor technology will continue to advance -- even in Pioneer's absence -- and that some new technology (OLED perhaps?) will make us all eventually forget this sad news.

In any event, it is hard to get too bummed. Especially when a BD movie is playing....what a freaking picture....what a perfect placeholder to whatever is next.

Thanks.

Hook
Old 02-11-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghook2020 View Post

Is there a way to predict the life expectancy of a Pioneer 141FD?

Am sure any answer would start with "It depends on....", but would still appreciate hearing any rough estimates on how long one could plan to own this monitor.

What would likely cause the 141FD to reach its end? Do plasma cells eventually lose their ability to take a charge? Is there some board or two that, should they break, will be difficult or prohibitively expensive to replace?

Just got an email (via Comcast) from my monitor -- 250 hours. Just a baby and yet, given the news that at some point we all will be shopping for a different vendor's display, am simply curious how long you would predict before we would be forced to do so.

Am hoping that it will be many years before we hit the true end-of-life on service and parts. Am hoping even more strongly that monitor technology will continue to advance -- even in Pioneer's absence -- and that some new technology (OLED perhaps?) will make us all eventually forget this sad news.

In any event, it is hard to get too bummed. Especially when a BD movie is playing....what a freaking picture....what a perfect placeholder to whatever is next.

Thanks.

Hook

60,000 hours or 5 hours a day for 20 years is a safe bet.

Its end will likely be caused by a simply fading picture after 60,000 but will most likely reach its demise by being replaced.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I plan on eventually replacing my 141 but I bet it won't be a mere 1080p 16x9 display.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Jacob,

If I am lucky enough to have someone with FiOS respond, I will be sure to share the information with you.

David

Thanks, David. Some time ago, I asked if there was anyone that frequents this thread that had Verizon FIOS and got it to work, and I received no responses.

Jacob P.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Could someone PM me what kind of good pricing I should be able to negotiate on a 50" 101 Signature purchase? I had a look online at some nearby Elite dealers and didn't like what I saw. They had the 101 priced way higher than the 111 and both prices were too close to MSRP for my liking.

I have a 43" 3G Pio and wasn't planning to replace it for a while yet, but the recent news has me re-considering. I'd probably get a new 9G now if I can swing it, a used 9G in a couple of years, or some newer Panasonic in a couple of years if they can compare. It sounds like I may have really missed out on great pricing in the last couple of weeks. I had no idea.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool
Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks, David. Some time ago, I asked if there was anyone that frequents this thread that had Verizon FIOS and got it to work, and I received no responses.

If you are technically-minded enough, you might just want to setup an SMTP server on your local network with a mailbox on a local machine. That is what I did with AT&T. I presume that the considerations are similar.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

If you are technically-minded enough, you might just want to setup an SMTP server on your local network with a mailbox on a local machine. That is what I did with AT&T. I presume that the considerations are similar.

I posted some info and steps here about this too...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15540368

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Jacob,

I imagine we are not the only two 141FD owners with Verizon FiOS. Let us hope that others visit this thread and can provide some help in setting up the E-mail function.

David
Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

turbe,

Thanks so much for providing that info. I will definitely give it a try.

David
Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:

turbe,

I downloaded and installed Free SMTP Server. I followed your suggestions for setting up the E-mail Web Control System interface, as well as selecting a specific DNS server.

I clicked on Test Mail and instantly received an Alert E-mail from the Monitor.

Thanks! Now I am able to check the total hour count on the Monitor prior to having it professionally calibrated.

David
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes of course that is correct. However why did you buy the 141. Why not just get a 60" non elite Kuro. If all you want is a display.

It is for this reason why I am getting a BD-09. And also why I have stated that you should have a calibration done if you are going to get one of the big three.
Just as when you got your 141, I am sure you always had planed to get it calibrated. And I am sure why you got the 141 is because you wanted the best overall PQ.

Please do not miss understand me at this point. I have not gotten the BD-09 as yet, I am waiting for Robert to ship it. Once I get it and calibrate it for my 141, then and only then can I say for sure that it really does raise the bar.

And what changed my mind about getting the BD-09 over the Oppo BD-83 is what I am now seeing with my BD-51. Using firmware 1.21 for the BD-51 and recalibrating, I have now taken my Blu ray viewing to a whole new level.
In a different post I touched on what I am seeing now. Link Below.
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...2&postcount=13

I agree with V. unless you care about some post processing or audio decoding in the player you're not going to benefit from a high end Blu Ray player.

Reason?

With Blu ray you want the player to send the 1080p signal untouched to the display and the display then reproduce it unaltered. Since the source is 1080p 24fps, no processing is needed in the chain.

If you're bit streaming the audio via hdmi then again, you're not using the expensive analog DACs of the player.

In the case of DVD you do need post processing since the video is encoded in a resolution that is different from the native res. of your display.

This is a fundamental problem that making premium Blu Ray players are going to face. The high quality of the source means that the player does not need to do much at all! This is driving folks like Pioneer and Denon nuts because the dynamics are different than it was with DVD. The PS2 was a bottom of the rung DVD player, the PS3 is top of the shelf Blu Ray player.

In general as source quality gets better the less you need to spend on video processing.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:

turbe,

I downloaded and installed Free SMTP Server. I followed your suggestions for setting up the E-mail Web Control System interface, as well as selecting a specific DNS server.

Thanks! Now I am able to check the total hour count on the Monitor prior to having it professionally calibrated.

David

I also have Verizon FIOS, but I am also using Mac OS X Leopard. Is there a free SMTP Server for Mac that would accomplish the same result?

Jacob P.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I also have Verizon FIOS, but I am also using Mac OS X Leopard. Is there a free SMTP Server for Mac that would accomplish the same result?

If I'm not mistaken, OS X has Linux/Unix underpinnings, so I am sure that you can get just about any open-source SMTP server to run on a Mac. Whether there are more user-friendly options, I have no idea.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

I agree with V. unless you care about some post processing or audio decoding in the player you're not going to benefit from a high end Blu Ray player.

Reason?

With Blu ray you want the player to send the 1080p signal untouched to the display and the display then reproduce it unaltered. Since the source is 1080p 24fps, no processing is needed in the chain.

If you're bit streaming the audio via hdmi then again, you're not using the expensive analog DACs of the player.

In the case of DVD you do need post processing since the video is encoded in a resolution that is different from the native res. of your display.

This is a fundamental problem that making premium Blu Ray players are going to face. The high quality of the source means that the player does not need to do much at all! This is driving folks like Pioneer and Denon nuts because the dynamics are different than it was with DVD. The PS2 was a bottom of the rung DVD player, the PS3 is top of the shelf Blu Ray player.

In general as source quality gets better the less you need to spend on video processing.

Hi av.paillino -

This is pretty much how I've been looking at the video capabilities of high-end versus transport BD players.

I will say that this post in the BD-09 Owner's thread did resonate with me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=614

The message I heard was that even if you are just bitstreaming a high quality 1080p/24 source, you still have to do it well.

Hook
Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

If I'm not mistaken, OS X has Linux/Unix underpinnings, so I am sure that you can get just about any open-source SMTP server to run on a Mac. Whether there are more user-friendly options, I have no idea.

Sendmail was included with OS X up until (recently).. I think it's postfix now..

Anyways, it's not as simple in OS X as the program I linked in my post above..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

Old 02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

turbe,

David

ControlCAL™

Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghook2020 View Post

Hi av.paillino -

This is pretty much how I've been looking at the video capabilities of high-end versus transport BD players.

I will say that this post in the BD-09 Owner's thread did resonate with me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=614

The message I heard was that even if you are just bitstreaming a high quality 1080p/24 source, you still have to do it well.

Hook

In that post, what thebland says is true. Decoding is not to be confused with post processing. Which what the high end players want to confuse you with

Decoding is a simple function, it allows you to assemble the bits and then send it to the display. The outcome of the decoding step should look exactly the same irrespective of what player decodes it. AFTER decoding you can apply alogrithms such as deblocking and deringing (which is done with DVD), but with Blu Ray no such post processing is needed.

The concept of 'decoding' well seems strange. Unless the player has a bug and screws up the decode, all players that can decode the codec will end up with the exact same result.

If you want to use the analog outs or like the post processing for DVD then one of the premium players may well be worth it. But if you're going to use it for Blu Ray and bitstream the audio, just save the cash
Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Sendmail was included with OS X up until (recently).. I think it's postfix now..

Anyways, it's not as simple in OS X as the program I linked in my post above..

I downloaded the Free SMTP program. I am running Windows on a Mac machine using VMWare Fusion. I have Verizon FIOS as my internet connection and I use the Netgear WNR 3500 router.

I installed the program, but when I run the program it just hangs, telling me that it is "Waiting on Connections: port 25, using DNS Server 71.252.0.12."

I typed in that number into the DNS field in the program. When I went into my router's setup, it showed that as one of the two DNS Server addresses. Is that the wrong number?? I also tried 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.4, and 71.242.0.12 (the other DNS Server that shows up in the router setup). Sorry for the newbie approach, but I have no idea what I am doing.

Jacob P.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It's supposed to be waiting for connections and will show this on the very bottom left corner. It's not hanging...

Use one of the DNS Servers that is listed in your router.

Enter one of those DNS Server's IP address in the Free SMTP Server under FILE/OPTIONS:

Select "Specific DNS server" and enter one of those IP Addresses (DNS Servers listed in your router configuration/status etc.).

The computer running the Free SMTP server needs to be on the same network / subnet as your 141.

When you send a test email from the 141, you should see this in the SMTP server under Active Connections....

btw, I have one C2D Mac mini and I use Fusion too.. love it...

ControlCAL™

Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Pioneer 9G Elite Monitor 141 ISF-Night Settings.
I used a Pioneer BD-09 (F/W 1.34) for these settings,
Auto, Hight Speed on, Pioneer PDP,
HDMI Color Auto

You will need Controlcal to unlock ISF Modes.

Picture Settings:
AV Selection: ISF-Night
Contrast: 22
Brightness: 1
Color: +3
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -15

Pure Cinema: 2 (Advance)
Black Level: 0 (Off)
CTI: 0 (Off)
Color Space: 2
Color Temp: 6 (Manual)
Screen size 0 (Dot By Dot)

ACL: 0 (Off)
3DYC: 2
I-P Mode: 2
Text Optimization: 0 (Off)
Intelligent Mode: 0 (Off)
DRE Picture: 0 (Off)

Enhancer Mode: 1
Block NR: 0 (Off)
3DNR: 0 (Off)
Field NR: 0 (Off)
Mosquito NR: 0 (Off)

Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: Mode 0 (off) or 2 (on)

RGB Controls
R High: +3
G High: 0
B High: +13
R Low: -2
G Low: 0
B Low:-1

Color Management
R: 0
Y: +1
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: 0

Gamma
10%R 0
10%G 0
10%B 0
20%R 0
20%G 0
20%B 0
30%R 0
30%G 0
30%B 0
40%R 0
40%G 0
40%B 0
50%R 0
50%G 0
50%B 0
60%R 0
60%G 0
60%B 0
70%R 0
70%G 0
70%B 0
80%R 0
80%G 0
80%B 0
90%R 0
90%G 0
90%B 0

Template by D-Nice

09SillysallyGandC.pdf 168.3349609375k . file
Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

I finally got our 141 to display the left edge of a DVDO VP50 Pro test pattern when running in 1080p/24fps/Pure/dot-by-dot mode.

The problem turned out to be having Orbiter set to mode 2. It has to be set to mode 1.

Oddly, the reason I had it set to mode 2 is from reading on some thread on these forums that mode 1 doesn't work with dot-by-dot, which turns out to have been incorrect.