post #2521 of 5273 Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris View Post

other than through the email function is there another way to check the hours on the panel? i cant get the email function to work

If you couldn't get the option I posted above to work, there is a good change your ISP is blocking the SMTP Port (25) - if the ISP is blocking that Port (as many do due to the crappy spammers), your options will be limited (at this time )

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 5273 Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Liked: 10
i just looked up a list of ISP's that block port 25, Comcast is certainly one of them so it looks like im screwed for now.
post #2523 of 5273 Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris View Post

i just looked up a list of ISP's that block port 25, Comcast is certainly one of them so it looks like im screwed for now.

Hi savefarris -

Must be a regional thing, because Comcast in Minneapolis does not block port 25.

As an FYI, I got email via Comcast to work by setting:

1. Sender adress: my Comcast email address (I know, not very intuitive)

2. Mail server (SMTP): 76.96.62.117 (IP address returned when I pinged smtp.comcast.net)

3. Authentication: Off

4. Receiver address (1): again, my Comcast email address

Good luck.

Hook
post #2524 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghook2020 View Post

Hi savefarris -

Must be a regional thing, because Comcast in Minneapolis does not block port 25.

2. Mail server (SMTP): 76.96.62.117 (IP address returned when I pinged smtp.comcast.net)

Good luck.

Hook

Hook,
thanks so much, i used your settings and it worked perfectly! i guess i didnt have the right SMTP address.
post #2525 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Hello All -

Just ordered the package from Turbe, and am totally pumped about learning this new craft.

The more I've been reading about calibration, the more interested I've become. And besides, still haven't made up my mind whether to follow Double S down the Pio BD-09 path, so figured it was time to learn how to tune the 141FD (or someday, maybe a projector?) to whatever new sources I hook up.

Also made contact with Chad Billheimer and am planning for a summer visit. Kind of funny -- he makes it up to Minneapolis once every few months. When I emailed him yesterday, he had just left Minneapolis and was heading up to Duluth! Good timing, actually, since I hope to be dangerous by the time he gets back up here.

Lastly, thanks again to all the members of this forum. I appreciate the advice, and look forward to posting my first home grown report (and having Double S shred it to bits )

Hook
post #2526 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

totally pumped about learning this new craft.

Yea.. another venturing into DIY Calibration...

Great Kit you got..

Looking forward to your Reports..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #2527 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not enough gets written about the value of the web server in the 141. Not only is it the biggest advantage over the 151 IMO, but its a feature i use almost daily. My comp is in the same room as my HT and I frequently tweek settings for my wife and myself via the web server. If only my whole system was able to be controlled this way.

Turbe

The addition of controlcal via the IP will be very welcome and will likely drive me to learn how to calibrate professionally.

the email function is fun, but really only becomes useful for checking the signal type and hours used after you get used to all the info it shows.

not that anyone probably cares but I am at 1550 hours of usage. If you have a 141 what are you at?
post #2528 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Not enough gets written about the value of the web server in the 141. Not only is it the biggest advantage over the 151 IMO, but its a feature i use almost daily. My comp is in the same room as my HT and I frequently tweek settings for my wife and myself via the web server. If only my whole system was able to be controlled this way.

Turbe

The addition of controlcal via the IP will be very welcome and will likely drive me to learn how to calibrate professionally.

the email function is fun, but really only becomes useful for checking the signal type and hours used after you get used to all the info it shows.

not that anyone probably cares but I am at 1550 hours of usage. If you have a 141 what are you at?

Hi Vancouver -

Agreed 100%! Despite putting a lot of effort into setting up my Harmony One, am using a netbook for web control most of the time. It is a lot easier, for example, to choose from the pull-down for screen size than it is to toggle the screen size button on the remote.

And despite being a newb -- only 326 hours per my last email -- am planning some serious catchup this week since the kind folks at Amazon just delivered a big fat stack of BDs!

Hook
post #2529 of 5273 Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Vancouver -

Agreed 100%! Despite putting a lot of effort into setting up my Harmony One, am using a netbook for web control most of the time. It is a lot easier, for example, to choose from the pull-down for screen size than it is to toggle the screen size button on the remote.

And despite being a newb -- only 326 hours per my last email -- am planning some serious catchup this week since the kind folks at Amazon just delivered a big fat stack of BDs!

Hook

I agree...screen size/av selection toggle by remote takes to long and can more easily be done by comp. I have my Kuro web browser open 24/7.
post #2530 of 5273 Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

Hello All -

Just ordered the package from Turbe, and am totally pumped about learning this new craft.

The more I've been reading about calibration, the more interested I've become. And besides, still haven't made up my mind whether to follow Double S down the Pio BD-09 path, so figured it was time to learn how to tune the 141FD (or someday, maybe a projector?) to whatever new sources I hook up.

Also made contact with Chad Billheimer and am planning for a summer visit. Kind of funny -- he makes it up to Minneapolis once every few months. When I emailed him yesterday, he had just left Minneapolis and was heading up to Duluth! Good timing, actually, since I hope to be dangerous by the time he gets back up here.

Lastly, thanks again to all the members of this forum. I appreciate the advice, and look forward to posting my first home grown report (and having Double S shred it to bits )

Hook

That's great.

Don't worry I am very gentle. And don't let your ego get the best of you now, that will come later.

By next summer you will not need Chad Billheimer . You will be doing as good of job as Chad. Just understand it takes a little time to learn how to use Calman.

The really good news is you have pro grade hardware and software. And the best news of all is your 141 and how really nice it will setup.

Don't forget just ask and don't worry.

ss
post #2531 of 5273 Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I agree...screen size/av selection toggle by remote takes to long and can more easily be done by comp. I have my Kuro web browser open 24/7.

Bought an MSI Wind netbook (with a 6 cell battery -- about 5 hours of runtime), and have it open all evening as well.

Have one Firefox tab open for my 141, and one for Denon 3808ci.

And my next BD transport must have web control as well!

The Denon gets a lot of exercise while watching Comcast HDTV. There seems to be a lot of 5 channel audio abuse going on, so am constantly toggling from Standard to Stereo processing. Really annoying to hear bad music coming from behind during an HGTV show. Even more annoying that our local NBC affiliate broadcasts the news in 5 channel stereo (cleverly disguised as Dolby Digital).

Am hoping that in the future there will be standards established for web control of AV equipment. Common look/feel, macro/scripting language, etc. Or perhaps some inventor will come up with the web-based equivalent of the Harmony remote. Now that would be sweet!

Hook
post #2532 of 5273 Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought an MSI Wind netbook (with a 6 cell battery -- about 5 hours of runtime), and have it open all evening as well.

ahh, the Wind installs and runs OS X very well.. a Mac notebood for much less then Apple's...

The new Asus 1000HE is the one I'm looking at.... N280 processor and excellent keyboard layout.

ControlCAL™

post #2533 of 5273 Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

ahh, the Wind installs and runs OS X very well.. a Mac notebood for much less then Apple's...

The new Asus 1000HE is the one I'm looking at.... N280 processor and excellent keyboard layout.

That's the one to get! There's a good bake-off published today at:

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life...k-faceoff.aspx

And the really good news is that its wireless performance is perfectly adequate for completion of the network-based version of ControlCal.

Hook
post #2534 of 5273 Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Great find ghook2020, the ASUS's battery life impressive!

Sorry OT...

ControlCAL™

post #2535 of 5273 Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM

I hooked up a mac mini to my denon 3808 and hdmi to 141, works great especially when viewing pics and listening to music. The itunes visualizer looks spectacular on the 141. Definate recommendation especially at the mac mini price.
post #2536 of 5273 Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM

So are there any custom apps developed for the signature series IP control?
post #2537 of 5273 Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserkool View Post

So are there any custom apps developed for the signature series IP control?

Yes, but not released yet..

ControlCAL™

post #2538 of 5273 Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Yes, but not released yet..

is more then one coming?
post #2539 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Eventually I intend to have my 141FD professionally calibrated. In the mean time, is the "Video Essentials Blu-ray disc" worth purchasing to tune the 141FD?

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #2540 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Hi savefarris -

Good luck.

Hook

Damn, it works.........finally.......thanks!

Comcast in San Jose, CA

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.

Althea's Garage
post #2541 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is more then one coming?

ControlCAL™

post #2542 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Michael TLV Chen has a TV waiting for his calibration on March 7th.
post #2543 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob View Post

Eventually I intend to have my 141FD professionally calibrated. In the mean time, is the "Video Essentials Blu-ray disc" worth purchasing to tune the 141FD?

its fun to play around with and I would say its worth picking up. If nothing else it will show you how close some of the presets are.
If you do it on your own until you get it professionally calibrated I would access the ISF mode via the web browser (instructions on my first post) and do your own mini calibration using those settings.
post #2544 of 5273 Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:

its fun to play around with and I would say its worth picking up. If nothing else it will show you how close some of the presets are.
If you do it on your own until you get it professionally calibrated I would access the ISF mode via the web browser (instructions on my first post) and do your own mini calibration using those settings.

Hmmmm, Vancouver.... When did you add this information about the ISF web interface? I certainly hadn't seen it. I should have figured that out, since it became readily apparent that the password system on these puppies is a joke.

So, my wife lost her job last week, which has put me in no position to do any sort of calibration which costs good money. So, this information may have come at just the right time for me (don't get me wrong, I expect that I'll buy ControlCal as soon as the IP enabled version comes out, but I don't want to mess with the serial cable stuff, especially if I can't currently afford a nice meter to calibrate with).

Is there any information posted about how to use this interface, and explaining what is lacking, as compared to ControlCal?

Also, I recall reading recently how important it is to save the original white balance values, etc. before you start tweaking. Can I find them via this interface, and how?

Basically, any information about how to use this interface would be much appreciated so I can do a "mini-calibration".
post #2545 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Bob View Post

Or if you want to save money. Just download AVSHD Blu Ray and or HD. Its posted here on AVS or Turbe's forum. And its free and more complete.

Also remember that trying to use any of these calibration disc without the proper hardware and software will not do you much good.

Something to keep in mind, is the all blue mode realy doesn't work as well as a blue filter to set color/saturation. Using that tool will over saturate, though your gray scale off, and probable other things as well.

You probably just as well off using the default settings.

And as far as using the ISF modes without controlcal may be a mistake. One of the nice features with controlcal is you can reset back to the defaults with a push of a button.
There are other reasons why also but I will let turbe do his thing explaining.
post #2546 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 AM

Is the buzzing worse on the 141 or is it the same as the 151.

GH
post #2547 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Gerry, I have the 141 and the buzzing on my unit is about the same as my 2 commercial Panasonic plasmas, a little more than the 50" 7UY and a little less than the 42" 4UY in the bedroom. However, the buzzing can only be heard with no sound. if the audio system is on, the buzzing is totally inaudible. I have heard similar buzzing on a 151 at times and others, no buzzing at all. The same is true for the 141. However, I have never heard a 150, 151 or 141 buzz to the point of distraction as some have posted here. I picked up the 141 due to the thinner profile and vertically mounted inputs as mine is wall mounted.
post #2548 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

Hmmmm, Vancouver.... When did you add this information about the ISF web interface? I certainly hadn't seen it. I should have figured that out, since it became readily apparent that the password system on these puppies is a joke.

So, my wife lost her job last week, which has put me in no position to do any sort of calibration which costs good money. So, this information may have come at just the right time for me (don't get me wrong, I expect that I'll buy ControlCal as soon as the IP enabled version comes out, but I don't want to mess with the serial cable stuff, especially if I can't currently afford a nice meter to calibrate with).

Is there any information posted about how to use this interface, and explaining what is lacking, as compared to ControlCal?

Also, I recall reading recently how important it is to save the original white balance values, etc. before you start tweaking. Can I find them via this interface, and how?

Basically, any information about how to use this interface would be much appreciated so I can do a "mini-calibration".

the info is in my first post.
post #2549 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have had my 141 calibrated by Gregg Loewen and it looks incredible. It is amazing how much detail this panel can display with a properly calibrated grayscale. Control Cal was used to unlock the day and night ISF settings. Since I can control the amount of light entering my room, I plan on using night mode almost exclusively.
post #2550 of 5273 Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

Gerry, I have the 141 and the buzzing on my unit is about the same as my 2 commercial Panasonic plasmas, a little more than the 50" 7UY and a little less than the 42" 4UY in the bedroom. However, the buzzing can only be heard with no sound. if the audio system is on, the buzzing is totally inaudible. I have heard similar buzzing on a 151 at times and others, no buzzing at all. The same is true for the 141. However, I have never heard a 150, 151 or 141 buzz to the point of distraction as some have posted here. I picked up the 141 due to the thinner profile and vertically mounted inputs as mine is wall mounted.

JWhip,

I have a 50" 7UY and I would really appreciate if you could tell me your impressions of the differences between it and the 141fd. I have been back and forth between picking up a 141fd or not because I just don't know how big a difference in PQ there is between the panels. Your input would be much appreciated.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page