The Official Panasonic TH-65PZ850U Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone here consider the 60" Elite before they purchased their 65" Panasonic. Looking to hear some thinking on what helped make the decision to go with the Panasonic. As I've read on this thread, the Pioneer Elite thread and various reviews, it sounds like the following differences are the deciding factors between these 2 Plasma units:

Panny +
  • 5" bigger screen
  • less money
  • perhaps better colors
Panny -
  • Blacks not as good
  • Overall picture close but not as good as the Pioneer
  • No usb input
Does that sum up the major differences between the 65" Panny and the 60" Elite or are there other factors I haven't considered? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how you decided to go with the Panny over the Elite.

OPPO BDP-83 EAP (second group)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM

I received my Panasonic plasma 65 inch TV a couple of days ago. I had my own plans for a temporary mount, but the plans posted by cjuto1, page 4, post #94, were easier and cheaper (THANKS). I needed to adjust the angle brackets because my TV stand has a 5 degree down angle (a good level is handy) as it sits on the carpet plus the big angle brackets were open to about 95 degrees; after a bit of bending, I got the TV to fit upright on the angle brackets and stand vertically nearly on its center of mass. The top still wiggled more than I wanted. I added stability insurance by bolting a small "L" bracket to the nearest wall stud behind the TV and another "L" bracket to the nearest wall mount bolt on the back of the TV; then I made a sturdy wood bar that angles between the two brackets and has a hole at each end so that a bolt fits through each end and through the mating open hole in each bracket. Very sturdy now with no wiggle at all = confidence. For starters, I'm using the main menu settings provided by RobbyRockets in a previous post (THANKS); I'll move to the service menu adjustments later. I'm lovin' it even through this breakin period; fortunately, Albuquerque now has an ISF calibrator which I'll use in about 200-250 hours.
LL

G. L. Dybwad
Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Back to the drawing board I think. I was all set to order the Peerless 760P and Pan65 adapter plate, but I don't think it will work in my case. My recessed space is 10.5" max - so TV can't go beyond that. The Peerless 760P looks like it is 4.8" fully collapsed, and the Pan65 adapter plate appears to add another 2". Couple that with the 5.3 inches of the TV, and I am at 11.1". So, if my calculations are right, that won't work. There MUST be a way to mount the TV close to 10" extension total from the wall.

Edit: Looks like I will probably will need to use a fixed mount in my situation. So I need to figure out if there is a way to add spacing so it is more flush. I have posted this in a separate thread as it isn't specific to this TV.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

Did anyone here consider the 60" Elite before they purchased their 65" Panasonic. Looking to hear some thinking on what helped make the decision to go with the Panasonic. As I've read on this thread, the Pioneer Elite thread and various reviews, it sounds like the following differences are the deciding factors between these 2 Plasma units:

Panny +
  • 5" bigger screen
  • less money
  • perhaps better colors
Panny -
  • Blacks not as good
  • Overall picture close but not as good as the Pioneer
  • No usb input
Does that sum up the major differences between the 65" Panny and the 60" Elite or are there other factors I haven't considered? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how you decided to go with the Panny over the Elite.

+1...

Anyone wish to comment on the above comparison of these two units?
Pio Pro-151FD 60"
Panny TH-65PZ850U 65"

Thanks.

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 PM

price on the Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60-Inch Class KURO Plasma HDTV have drop. it cheaper then the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

price on the Pioneer PDP-6020FD 60-Inch Class KURO Plasma HDTV have drop. it cheaper then the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U.

I believe the Pio 151 is still more than the Panny 850 from most sources I've looked at. Is there some channel where a 151 can be purchased for less than the best price you can purchase an 850U? Please share.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

+1... Anyone wish to comment on the above comparison of these two units? Pio Pro-151FD 60" Panny TH-65PZ850U 65" Thanks.

The Pioneer Elite/Signature series have a 2 year warranty, better contrast and better antiglare. And they have the ISFccc calibration feature that is accessed with ControlCal by Turbe that will allow a good calibrator to give you the accurate greyscale and colors as well as the added settings per input. You might find the panny a little cheaper but you have to add a stand or mount to the price.

The panny is a good panel if you have to have that extra 5" ~ it does give you 17.6% more screen area.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
Old 01-30-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

The Pioneer Elite/Signature series have a 2 year warranty, better contrast and better antiglare. And they have the ISFccc calibration feature that is accessed with ControlCal by Turbe that will allow a good calibrator to give you the accurate greyscale and colors as well as the added settings per input. You might find the panny a little cheaper but you have to add a stand or mount to the price.

The panny is a good panel if you have to have that extra 5" ~ it does give you 17.6% more screen area.

Good additional +s for the Pio. Thanks

Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

I believe the Pio 151 is still more than the Panny 850 from most sources I've looked at. Is there some channel where a 151 can be purchased for less than the best price you can purchase an 850U? Please share.

Pioneer Pro-151FD should be the exact same price as the TH-65PZ850U.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

The 6020 has been priced below the 65PZ850U from the beginning. It has a much lower MSRP ($5500 vs. $7000) and both are available at at least 30% off MSRP and have been for some time.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Hey folks -

This may be a better question in a more generic section of this forum, but the 65PZ850U is one of the TVs under consideration. First, the setting:

http://www.lateapex.net/img/living-room1.jpg
http://www.lateapex.net/img/living-room2.jpg

Of note: the wall to the right of the picture is East facing (Yay!) which means lots of sunlight in the morning and early day hours. The photos were taken at about 12:30pm, for reference. Earlier in the day, the sunlight will completely illuminate the area above the fireplace.

Given the light, I'd expect most folks to say: "Get an LCD." And I'm considering that. But I'd really like to explore the plasmas as well.

My next door neighbor has a Pioneer 60" Kuro (not the Elite) and the picture on it is fabulous. The pricing for the Kuro is quite attractive, and it will be the same size as that DLP you see in the photo. The Panasonic is a bit more expensive, but I qualify for a hefty discount from them, given my employer ($4600 before shipping). While still more expensive than the Kuro, it's a hell of a bargain for such a massive screen.

So, the toss-up is 2-fold: Sharp LCD, or a plasma? And, if I go plasma: Panasonic or Pioneer?

I welcome all comments, suggestions, etc. Given the layout of my living room, the TV has to sit where it is. Anywhere else and it'll get doused with sunlight. I even considered directly above the fireplace, but the neck strain would be a bit much I think:

http://www.lateapex.net/img/tv1.jpg

(taken at night)

Thanks!

jas
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't think the neck strain will be a problem if you position the display the way you plan, over the fireplace. This is a much better position to watch TV and the surround sound will be much clearer. Use the space to the right to build a nice wall-unit and store all your gear there .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I don't think the neck strain will be a problem if you position the display the way you plan, over the fireplace. This is a much better position to watch TV and the surround sound will be much clearer. Use the space to the right to build a nice wall-unit and store all your gear there .

I agree that it would certainly help with the surround sound, no question. But, mounting it over the fireplace does present some interesting challenges:

1. The studs are not the standard distance apart from one another. They're at the corners of the fireplace, which makes them about 54" OC. Still doable, but there are only 2 studs there that I could use.

2. Earlier in the day, say, 10:30-11am, that entire area above the fireplace is sunlit.

3. The furthest the furniture could be placed from that is about 12ft. I still think that's too close for a television whose center is about 5ft off the ground. It would be worse for viewers sitting on the sofa or loveseat.

4. The fireplace is a real one, and I'd be concerned with any soot or ashes coming out. Suggestions have been made to build a small shelf right above the fireplace as a 'shield' of sorts. This will only serve to move the TV higher.

jas
Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I know few people with plasmas over the fireplace and never heard about any serious problem. The studs at the corner actually can be better than in the middle since they are normally more solid and firm. Light is your real problem, though. Plasmas don't like direct light and if you watch a lot of TV during the day this can be annoying. Your room is asking for a LCD.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Light is your real problem, though. Plasmas don't like direct light and if you watch a lot of TV during the day this can be annoying. Your room is asking for a LCD.

That's what I was afraid of. :-( Any other opinions?

Thanks.

jas
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

With that type of light coming in, I dought an LCD is going to do much better, either way shades are needed.

I'm reasonably sure an LCD will overpower the sunlight that makes it into the room. But I could be wrong. Also, the LCD screen doesn't display anywhere near the kind of glare the plasmas do.

As far as shades go, the odd shape of the window (and the elevation of said) will be difficult to do tastefully. I do agree that it would help things significantly. But, I strongly suspect that the expense of said will be prohibitive.

jas
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Jason

I had the same problem when I was living in a house with high ceilings and windows on the top. I solved the problem using window film, cheaper than large drapes and very efficient if you choose the right stuff. Light will still be present but most reflexes will be eliminated. In my case, I did it for my dedicated home theater with a front projector, much more sensitive to light than any TV.

3M makes good products but there are others:

http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...sidential.html

Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have seen several setups here on AVS where there was a lot of ambient light in the room with a plasma and it is not that big of an issue. I am in a different situation. I have 3 large windows directly opposite my 65 Panny, and with the blinds closed I still get a reflection of the windows on the screen. It is by no means unwatchable even on the brightest days, and I think it is more of an issue of direct reflections of windows, or lights, behind your seating position. With the light coming from the side I don't think it would be much of an issue at all. Buy from somewhere that will allow returns and give it a shot if you want the plasma. The 65pz850 is awesome as is the 60 Pioneer. While researching sets I also looked at the Sharp LCD,,,,once.

+2 for over the fireplace
Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
dzn

I have the similiar problem.
I have 3 big sunroof windows behind the seating place, which means they are directly opposite of the TV place.
However, I watch most of the TV during the nigh, so this shouldn't be a HUGE issue..

I'm still wondering if anyone compared this Panny to Sharp 65 XS1 ?
My seating position goes -+ 45 degrees from the center of the TV, so I guess that any LCD will not be able to present high quality picture under these angles.

Anyone have insight on this ?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:

I happen to be one of those guys..... <<< Click here >>>

Chris- can you still hear? Those speakers are really sick and it looks like two subs.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick46 View Post

Chris- can you still hear? Those speakers are really sick and it looks like two subs.

Ditto. I can not remember EVER having my breath taken away when looking at someone else's setup like when I clicked on Chris' link. Holy s...t! What I would give........
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, is the 24p mode still jittery?
I heard it might have been fixed via a firmware upgrade, but wanted to hear it first hand from the owners themselves.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymjk View Post

Ditto. I can not remember EVER having my breath taken away when looking at someone else's setup like when I clicked on Chris' link. Holy s...t! What I would give........

I just found this movie here <<< Click Here >>>
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just found this movie here <<< Click Here >>>

The only word that comes to mind is ...."WOW". And to think you have 2 of them and 2 matching subs..."Double Wow".

Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM

Chris - You must not be married to get away with that set up. What amp are you using to power those monsters?