The Official Panasonic TH-65PZ850U Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 511 Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamiller View Post

Of all the 65 inch Panasonic plasmas, which has the best picture quality for my living room which has a LOT of ambient light. I want to avoid glare and picture wash out from the ambient light.

I am replacing my old Mits WS65869 RP CRT set which is totally unwatchable in my living room during the day! My living room has 9 huge windows, they are on the opposing wall to the TV. I have wood shades and still the picture is unwatchable during the day. I watch TV during the day so I am bummed.

Do the various 65 inch Panasonics have substantial difference in the picture quality with ambient light? Is the screen finish matte or polished (reflective)?

How do the 65 inch Panasonic compare during daylight viewing to the Sharp 65 inch 65D64U LCD??

A LCD will look better in daylight , generally speaking, but I think this Sharp is the worst LCD ever built. Wait few more weeks and there will be at least 2 new 65" LCDs on the market, from Samsung and Sony. The Panasonic will reflect a lot of light but there is no comparison with the old CRT, picture-wise.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 511 Old 07-14-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalawyer View Post

Subavision-- that is a great calibration report. What did it cost to have it done?

It was $300.00 total (50.00 dollar travel fee through PayPal) and Doug was great. Gregg Loewen did my first unit and he recommended Doug.

post #453 of 511 Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The Panasonic will reflect a lot of light but there is no comparison with the old CRT, picture-wise.

Sorry, what do you mean by this, are you saying the CRT picture will be better? or worse?

Thx for the info. I will definitley be waiting for the new 65 inch lcds.
post #454 of 511 Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, what do you mean by this, are you saying the CRT picture will be better? or worse?

Thx for the info. I will definitley be waiting for the new 65 inch lcds.

from everything I've ever read, CRT pictures are considered to be the best of all displays. I'm no technical genius but after having two properly calibrated RPTV's for over 14 years that are both still going strong and looking great, I won't argue. my 65PZ850U has great PQ, very sharp, great color (one of the main reasons I bought it) and I also wanted the HDMI connections and glad I don't have to worry about convergence and geometry problems.

post #455 of 511 Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my opinion the plasma win hands down .

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #456 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Hello,

I've currently got a Kuro 141FD, and the panel buzz is driving me mad. I had BestBuy bring in another bran-new 141 into their magnolia sound demo room and that one was just as loud, so I don't think I want to try swapping multiple Kuros...

Do the 850U's have any panel buzz to speak of?

What is the main difference between the 850u and V10?? I really do not want the V10 because of the silver on the bottom, I prefer the all-black 850u.

I've been searching all over to get some actual black-level measurement results.

Prior to my Kuro I had a Samsung PN63B590 that I returned since it also had a loud buzz (unfortunately, the Kuro is worse!) The samsung had piss-poor black levels.

Do you guys think I'd be happy with the Blacks from an 850u? Would they be closer to the samsung or Kuro?

Thanks!
post #457 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

Hello,

I've currently got a Kuro 141FD, and the panel buzz is driving me mad. I had BestBuy bring in another bran-new 141 into their magnolia sound demo room and that one was just as loud, so I don't think I want to try swapping multiple Kuros...

Do the 850U's have any panel buzz to speak of?

What is the main difference between the 850u and V10?? I really do not want the V10 because of the silver on the bottom, I prefer the all-black 850u.

I've been searching all over to get some actual black-level measurement results.

Prior to my Kuro I had a Samsung PN63B590 that I returned since it also had a loud buzz (unfortunately, the Kuro is worse!) The samsung had piss-poor black levels.

Do you guys think I'd be happy with the Blacks from an 850u? Would they be closer to the samsung or Kuro?

Thanks!

I've only had mine for a few weeks and the first week of that was running break-in images but so far I have noticed no sound coming from the set. Even up close it is hard to hear the fans. I was kind of surprised by this when I got it up and running.
post #458 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 PM

thanks! and how is the black level?

When watching Bluray at night time, are the top/bottom black bars noticeably 'glowing' from the bezel, or does it blend in fairly well?

I'd say with my Samsung, the bars were decidedly glowy. With the Kuro the black bars basically blend in unless the whole screen is black, then you can notice a slight glow.
post #459 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
I haven't been watching a lot of letter boxed material so far but have watched a couple of blurays and the bars blend in pretty well. I had a rear projection LCD before this so I am comparing it to that where it was very noticeable, but with the lights down I can't tell where the stopping point between the bezel and the box are. I can during the day but the bezel is pretty shiny.

I looked at sets for over 6 months before buying this one and was lucky enough to be able to see a 151 Kuro and this set that had both been calibrated sitting side by side and had a real tough time telling the differences in the black levels. The one thing I could tell a difference in was the color and that is what made me lean more towards the Panny even though I had every intention of buying the Kuro when I started the search.
post #460 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM
gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

In my opinion the plasma win hands down .

I'm sure everyone has his or her own opinion regarding plasma versus CRT. I have both--a Pioneer 5020 KURO and a Pioneer Elite 710PRO. The ten year old 710PRO wins hands down over the KURO in picture quality! They just don't make'em like they use to...

gaz
post #461 of 511 Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post

I'm sure everyone has his or her own opinion regarding plasma versus CRT. I have both--a Pioneer 5020 KURO and a Pioneer Elite 710PRO. The ten year old 710PRO wins hands down over the KURO in picture quality! They just don't make'em like they use to...

I had a 510 Elite, 9 years ago when there was no Bluray and very few HD programming. Picture on HD was indeed very good but I never had the opportunity to feed a high quality signal. I remember, however, that SD was unwatchable and the convergence problem was a real pain. I enjoyed my plasma much more and that's maybe why I made the comment, perhaps a bit unfair to the CRT. I am 100% for modern stuff and new technology but I agree that sometimes the old can be better.

post #462 of 511 Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Just got wireless to hook new 850 to internet for Viera. Should I install to my Integra pre/pro and route to set as 'access.1" or similar? Would seem this would allow consistent settings, and if hooked to set, would only allow use of panny settings...is this correct?
Skip
post #463 of 511 Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM

If you use the settings that subavision posted on this site, you will absolutely LOVE the 850!! I changed my set to use his custom settings and it's simply amazing! You will absolutely NOT regret gettting the 850. The black letterbox blends in perfectly with the black bezel of the 850 as well.... Subavision has done a real service for the 850 owner's community. Panasonic should be paying him a commission for their sales on this set!!
post #464 of 511 Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hello,

I'm new here. I just picked up an "Open Box" unit from Best Buy. Looks like it's gonna be a bear getting it up on the wall at $160 lbs. I'm getting the stand with it. I may be interested in selling the stand.

As far as the wall mount is concerned they sold me a Sanus VMPL3B-01 and an M10 adapter kit. Is this going to work?

On edit, I'm not sure if I need the M10 adapter kit. Does the TV use M10 size mounting hardware?
I also discovered I need the VMXA1 wall plate assy.

Thanks,

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #465 of 511 Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stern_fan View Post

If you use the settings that subavision posted on this site, you will absolutely LOVE the 850!! I changed my set to use his custom settings and it's simply amazing! You will absolutely NOT regret gettting the 850. The black letterbox blends in perfectly with the black bezel of the 850 as well.... Subavision has done a real service for the 850 owner's community. Panasonic should be paying him a commission for their sales on this set!!

Thanks for the kind words. As with everyone else in this forum,just trying to help people enjoy their home theater experience. Everyone in my family and friends who stop by and take a look love this display. Just in case you didn't see it, I posted my entire calibration report back in post 448. Some people have found it useful.

post #466 of 511 Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

Hello,

I'm new here. I just picked up an "Open Box" unit from Best Buy. Looks like it's gonna be a bear getting it up on the wall at $160 lbs. I'm getting the stand with it. I may be interested in selling the stand.

As far as the wall mount is concerned they sold me a Sanus VMPL3B-01 and an M10 adapter kit. Is this going to work?

On edit, I'm not sure if I need the M10 adapter kit. Does the TV use M10 size mounting hardware?

Thanks,

Mike

The Sanus VMPL3B should come with supplied hardware package that has the bolts. The VMXA1 will be required to extend out to mount unto 3 studs. I don't believe it require the m10kit as the wall mounting holes should be M8.
post #467 of 511 Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM

[quote=Dennis Dickerso;16567335]I am considering grabbing one of the last 60" Kuro Elites, or waiting for . . . Many stores have incorrect settings; step 1 is to change to "COOL" option, and reduce brightness by just 2 clicks. Contrast is dramatic.
post #468 of 511 Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 AM

I've had the Panny 65 in service for 2 weeks now and I'm completely satisfied! It has replaced my SONY 60" SXRD XBR2 that served me well for 3.5 yrs but now sits in my garage. The switch to another display had to include a screen size of 60" or larger. It looks great on my wall. I have not used 'torch' mode to view programming because it isn't necessary. It provides an amazing lifelike picture while viewing any source. It may be true that LCD has a brighter picture but LCD pales for lifelike image reproduction. I did consider a PioPro151 60" but the larger screen size and the fantastic price settled the choice. I recently saw the new SONY 65" LCD while on business in Portland OR and although it was impressive, it had a moderate amount of digital noise even when displaying Bluray. No buyer's remorse here. I can't wait to watch the coming NFL season and the MLB playoffs!!!
Fraternally,

Ed

I see rainbows
post #469 of 511 Old 07-29-2009, 10:02 AM

Is there a code for the remote control that allows the operation of a Direct TV PVR, the HR-22-100?
post #470 of 511 Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor.mwg View Post

Just got wireless to hook new 850 to internet for Viera. Should I install to my Integra pre/pro and route to set as 'access.1" or similar? Would seem this would allow consistent settings, and if hooked to set, would only allow use of panny settings...is this correct?
Skip

Anybody have any thoughts?
post #471 of 511 Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Good luck with you mount. The TV is absolutely stunning picture on it. Unfortunately my mount experience did not go well. I figured I tell my story (sorry if this is long) so others do not make the same mistake.

I purchased the Peerless SA770PU wall mount because it was recommended (improperly in my opinion) by Panasonic on their website as an arm/articulating wall mount for the Panasonic 65PZ850U. Since this TV is HUGE (160-180lbs out of the box and 65 inch screen size), I was hesitant to buy an articulating mount with such a large TV but Panasonic recommended it so I figured it should be good…I was wrong.

After painstakingly mounting it the top of the TV was tilting/leaning forward from the wall about 5-7 inches too far. That is A LOT of leaning and looks like you need to be sitting on the floor to get a direct view of the TV.

There is an adjustment on the mount for tilting the TV forward but this adjustment was in its complete upright position and so the TV should have been complete vertical and parallel with the wall. The problem was that the top crossbar that screws directly into the TV was completely bowed / sagging thus making the TV tilted forward. It was actually kind of scary to see a $4000 TV leaning forward like that and I was afraid it would fall off.

So theoretically the mount did work and did hold the TV although I’m not sure how long it would hold it and it was by no means properly watchable being tilted like that.

I could have taken it all down and probably gotten a refund but with all the painstaking effort to get it up and the hassles of taking it all down and shipping and returns issues (never mind not being able to use the TV for weeks and weeks waiting for a replacement and then having to hang it with the replacement), I decided to do my own workaround. I put two large hooks into two other studs (ones not being used by the mount itself) that were lined up behind the two ends of the bowed crossbar that is screwed into the TV and using very thick and strong wire through the hooks and holes on the ends of the bowed top crossbar, I “tied back” each of the two ends of the bowed top crossbar to the point where the TV is parallel with the wall and is vertical. This solution also added extra support so that there was less strain on the mount and crossbar themselves.

The MAJOR downside is that I cannot pull out the articulating arm without first unhooking/untying the support wires I’m using to tie back the bowed crossbar. Since pulling out the articulating arm was the reason I got this mount it sort of defeats the purpose.

So to sum up, if your TV is large and heavy I would strongly recommend getting a different mount. If you have questions feel free to email me at deo113AThotmailDOTcom. Hope this helps.
post #472 of 511 Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

just wanted to let people know that I had my 16-year-old nephew over today and he and 13 of his friends played Madden NCAA football on my four-month-old, newly calibrated 850U for four and a half hours and not nary a hint of any IR or burn-in when they left. Thought that might help ease people's fears about the issue a little. boy, what a nice display.

post #473 of 511 Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

It's not hung yet but the Sanus VMPL3B-01 with the VMXA1 wall plate add-on looks to be the right setup for me. It tilts but doesn't swivel.

The two tilt brackets are a direct fit to the back of the TV without the need for any of the extender brackets provided.

The extended wallplate is plenty long enough to span the two brackets mounted to to rear of the TV.

Next step is to mount the wall plate and "hang" the TV. It looks like I'll have the TV a little on the high side tilting downward slightly. It's a rec/game room so it should be quite viewable from everywhere in the room.

I've had the TV fired up and am very impressed at how quiet it is. I can't comment on the picture too much as I only viewed a few non-HD things but it certain;y looks like it's gonna be a hit.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #474 of 511 Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Got it hung up today. Took no more than 30 minutes to do the whole job.

Thumbs up to the Sanus VMPL3B-01 with the VMXA1 wall plate add-on mount. Works perfect and no issues. Rock solid with 160lb TV hanging off of it.

I have the base for sale if anybody wants it. $200 plus shipping.

post #475 of 511 Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Does anyone know what was in the latest firmware update? I noticed there's support for Amazon video now, but that's it.
post #476 of 511 Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Well I know my plasma is burned in for sure. I just did the hours check. 3457 hrs. That's a full year of all day use at 10 hrs a day. Thats what I get for buying the display unit.

I have to say.... like everyone on here has been saying.... the picture is phenomenal. Much better than I ever expected on even the non HD sources. Football is now at a new level. The wife is ecstatic!

post #477 of 511 Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I know my plasma is burned in for sure. I just did the hours check. 3457 hrs. That's a full year of all day use at 10 hrs a day. Thats what I get for buying the display unit.

I have to say.... like everyone on here has been saying.... the picture is phenomenal. Much better than I ever expected on even the non HD sources. Football is now at a new level. The wife is ecstatic!

Since you're wife is ecstatic, I'm guessing you mean the display has been "broken-in" and not "burned-in".
post #478 of 511 Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 PM

I have the pedestal stand for sale. New. I decided to mount on wall. $150 plus shipping.
post #479 of 511 Old 09-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Has anyone experienced a 'buzzing' at 5 sec intervals? It is only bothersome when using the internal speakers, but it does occur at regular intervals regardless of which sound system is used.
Anyone?
I also have color banding issues on solid color displays. This artifact occurs at irregular intervals.
Thanks for some input!
Panasonic TH65PZ850U

I see rainbows
post #480 of 511 Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM

I understand this unit has been discontinued. Anyone know the replacement?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page