The Official Panasonic TH-65PZ850U Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 511 Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=slimoli;14603288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaT View Post

But I had an old DVD player hooked up through s-video and it looked amazing as well, and that was just a progressive scan straight into the TV.

Wow! That's not even a progressive signal, just 480I. S-Video doesn't send 480P. It looks like the video processor on this baby is very good.

The pics are from my Denon over component so pics are a 480p signal. I did try it with s-video when the set was in the box, and it still looked good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 511 Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[quote=NoVaT;14605352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The pics are from my Denon over component so pics are a 480p signal. I did try it with s-video when the set was in the box, and it still looked good.

I know, I just wanted to clarify that you can't have a "progressive" signal with the S-Video, as you said. I'm looking forward to your comments when you hook up a Bluray or any other 1080P source.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #93 of 511 Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBE View Post

I'm sticking with my plan to buy the 65" 850 series. Now the only question is who do I buy it from and when?

Cleveland Plasma has the lowest price I could find anywhere and a near perfect reputation. He appears to be out of stock now but will have more in a couple weeks. No word on the stand yet, but will likely be available in 30 or so days. Not sure about the wall mount.
post #94 of 511 Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Made a stand!

I just got this baby fired up yesterday. I will be giving some pics. later today. I was able to build a perfectly acceptable stand for the unit at a cost of about $20. Here's what I did-- The openings in the bottom of the set that are used for the $700 stand are about 9" deep, with rectangular openings about 1 1/2" x 1". We'll call these the "stand holes". The depth of my cabinet is about 20". I started with the TV laying flat, face up. I created two stand components from 18" long 2x4s, each with a mounted 8" long steel 90 degree angle bracket. If the hardware store had 9" brackets I would have used those, but 8" were massive and perfectly acceptable. I screwed the angle bracket into the 2x4 using 3 #10 1 1/2" wood screws (I pre-drilled holes to prevent splitting). I then cut a "spacer" out of 1/2" plywood that would slide into each stand hole with the angle bracket, and essentially create a nice "tight" fit. The spacer slides into the hole in front of the angle bracket. Once the stand components slid into the stand holes, on the back of the TV are two holes that are used to attach the commercial stand to the support spikes. I got a bit lucky here-- one of these holes lined up perfectly with one of the screw holes on the inserted angle bracket. I then put a screw from the outside of the set, through the inserted angle bracket and into the plywood spacer. Then I called my neighbor, we lifted the TV onto the cabinet, and I was done. Well not quite-- the stand is perfectly stable "free standing", but since I am cautious, I took two "C clamps" and clamped the back of each stand component to the back of my cabinet. These of course are out of sight and very unobtrusive. I have a Salamander cabinet that has false backs so the clamps slide nicely onto the cabinet top and over the stand components (in fact, over the steel L brackets as well).

Obviously, the longer you can make the 2x4s. the more stable a free-standing component will be. Almost forgot, I put felt strips on the underside of the 2x4s.

I just need to paint each one flat black and I am done. There was a little bit of puzzling over the design, but I am thrilled that I could get this mounted so quickly. Took about 2 hrs. to construct, including the trip to the hardware store.

Lots of variations to this stand can be considered -- mounting these 2x 4 components on plywood, or cross pieces, bolting the angle brackets to the 2x4s (if you're SUPER cautious) or even bolting the components to the top of the cabinet.

Your mileage may vary -- but the enabler were those wonderful steel-lined stand holes in the bottom of the unit.

My previous strategy was to create a stand and use a Peerless SF680 wall mount, so I now have a brand new one of these still in the box that I will need to re-sell. Anyone interested?

And a shout out to Chris and the folks at Cleveland Plasma-- I'm another satisfied customer. The delivery was scheduled from 10:30am-12:30pm, and they showed up at 10:15am. They would have helped me mount it if I needed that as well.

There is a good chance that this post may be confusing, and now I'm sorry I did not take pics before, but I will follow up with the stand and the set in action.
post #95 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 AM

Here is a picture of my setup with the stand that I built. It doesn't look like much (and I still have to paint the supports) but it's very stable and effective. I will send some screen shots later-- but I am thrilled with the picture and the size of the screen. I even tried out the VieraCast-- hopefully they will be delivering some additional content there; but it's an interesting opportunity for them.
LL
post #96 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

cjut01

Nice job man, simple and efficient.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #97 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Got it Slimoli,,,haven't used s-video much,,,learn something new everyday.

Ok, I went out and picked up a Panasonic BD-30. I am still using the Studio Ref mode for the picture, as I have been spending a lot of time getting the rest of the mounting and routing of cables done and haven't had a lot of times to fiddle with the settings. The settings seem very good and I may leave it, but the set does have a lot of options to tweak the picture so I will have to play with it at some point.

Anyway, I got the Spiderman 3 BD and have been trying it out with the 24p output. At first I saw some flicker on the FBI warning screen. Then it seemed to not be present at all in the main content. But I noticed it again in a scene in the hospital with white sheets behind one of the actors. It seems to be more noticeable in the white, or light, areas of the picture. I could not see it throughout the entire movie.

I also noticed a couple of issues prior to this with the HDMI connection. It lost signal intermittently early on in the movie. I could not find another cause and it was happening somewhere between the BD player and receiver. I switched HDMI inputs, on the receiver, today and that stopped. Maybe this was causing some issues with the 24p playback.

Getting past the 24p thing the picture is great. The only time I can tell the difference between the bezel and the black bars is with no ambient light in the room viewing closer than my normal 15ft.

Here's a couple of pics from the Blu-ray. They just don't look as good on my monitor.

The weird looking pattern on the back of that guys neck in the last photo was my camera.
post #98 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Novat

Thanks. Pictures look good. In order to solve your 24P problems you must update the BD30 firmware. Use the link below:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ica/index.html

This new firmware version adresses specificaly the 24P issues.

Cheers!

post #99 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Novat

Thanks. Pictures look good. In order to solve your 24P problems you must update the BD30 firmware. Use the link below:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ica/index.html

This new firmware version adresses specificaly the 24P issues.

Cheers!

slimoli, does this latest firmware completely eliminate the flicker that some have experienced?
post #100 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjut01 View Post

Here is a picture of my setup with the stand that I built. It doesn't look like much (and I still have to paint the supports) but it's very stable and effective. I will send some screen shots later-- but I am thrilled with the picture and the size of the screen. I even tried out the VieraCast-- hopefully they will be delivering some additional content there; but it's an interesting opportunity for them.

Can you tell me if this unit has the single glass design? The word on the TH-58PZ800 is Panasonic is using the old style plastic bezel.
post #101 of 511 Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

slimoli, does this latest firmware completely eliminate the flicker that some have experienced?

I don't know because I have my BD30 hooked to a 1080I display but Panasonic released the 2.3 to fix several problems with 24P and few days later released the 2.4. It seems that few disks no longer have any 24P problem. Here is the thread discussing the new firmware:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14616597

post #102 of 511 Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post

I just updated the firmware and it appears to have addressed the flicker I was seeing. Got a few more movies today and I will try them out as well and update as soon as I can. Thanks slimoli.

Quote:

Can you tell me if this unit has the single glass design? The word on the TH-58PZ800 is Panasonic is using the old style plastic bezel.

If by "single glass design" you mean one big sheet of glass covering the entire front of the screen and bezel, no. The screen is recessed about 1/4", maybe a little less.
post #103 of 511 Old 09-10-2008, 06:37 AM

Anyone have any info on the stands yet? I know I could build my own, but I really want the "official" one.

I'm really anxious to get this new set now, I have all my equipment ready!

- Bello WAVS-330 Cabinet/Stand
- Crystalio II VPS-3800 Scaler
- Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD Blu-Ray Player w/ HD-SDI and Multizone + Multiregion Mods
- Oppo 981 DVD Player w/ SDI mod

post #104 of 511 Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

My Magnolia has the 65 and the stand in stock but only at MSRP.

post #105 of 511 Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
That is a high price. You will pay for the whole stores operation at that profit margin of about 33% markup.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #106 of 511 Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM

These are looking like their still in pretty tight supply. Are any of the forum sponsors expecting good size shipments anytime soon?
post #107 of 511 Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We had some in, now they are gone. Should be back in any day.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #108 of 511 Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
I found this information posted on the

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=5155 I am considering the purchase of this set but wonder if this is going to make me sorry. I would appreciate anyone's comments as to whether this is an issue or not.

Thanks,
Manny

Warning about the Panasonic TH-50PZ850U series (unwatchable flicker)

Even though the Panasonic 850U has 48HZ refresh rate for 1080P/24 signals it should be noted that according to the CNET review and other reviews the Panasonic 850U series is unwatchable with an ignoring flicker when a 1080P/24 signal is applied. Maybe Panasonic might fix this issue with a firmware update.
The Panasonic 850U was suppose to be THX certified. Before Panasonic released the 850U either THX or Panasonic dropped the THX feature from the product. It is unknown why the new Panasonic is not THX certified. Perhaps it is because there is an unwatchable flicker when the display refreshes 1080P/24 material at 48HZ. The new Panasonic 800U and 850U offer smooth judder free film playback at 48HZ but since several professional reviews are saying the Panasonic is unwatchable when playing 1080P/24 at 48HZ do to the flicker I am considering removing both the Panasonic 800U and 850U from the list. I am in shock Panasonic has released a product with a feature that cannot be used. Hopefully Panasonic will release a firmware update to either correct this problem or to turn off the 48HZ refresh rate completely and make the display a 60HZ only display. There was a review of a Sony KDL-46V3000 LCD display that mentioned a small amount of vertical flicker at 48HZ but the Sony was still watchable. More evidence is starting to appear that both Plasma and LCD flat panel displays have flicker problems when the refresh rates are around 48HZ. Higher refresh rate displays are better but cost more money to produce. Panasonic should have used a 72HZ refresh rate or greater just like Pioneer does. The Pioneer Plasma's have no flicker problems with 1080P/24 material that is refreshed at 72HZ.

Quote from CNET review

Panasonic built the same 48Hz refresh rate option we complained about on the 800U into the 850U, and our complaints still apply. When fed a 1080p/24 source, the set flickers quite noticeably, especially in the brightest areas. The flicker is not subtle -- to the point why we wonder why Panasonic even included this mode at all. Needless to say, despite the fact that refreshing the screen in an even multiple of 24 did seem to smooth the characteristic 2:3 pulldown "hitch," we preferred watching the set in standard 60Hz mode."

Unlike the less expensive TH-50PZ800U, the flagship TH-50PZ850U is not THX certified. We're not exactly sure why, but we guess it has something to do with keeping prices down; perhaps the cost of including the THX license and Viera Cast would have driven the price into a place that, unlike Pioneer, Panasonic didn't want to go. It may also have to do with differing color gamuts (see Performance). Regardless, it's pretty confusing for a flagship product to lack a major picture quality feature that its step-down cousin includes.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...tag=prod.txt.1

Quote from HD Guru website on the TH-50PZ850U

To eliminate judder, this Panasonic plasma can display 24 Hz native content at 48 Hz (2 frames followed by 2 film frames or also called 2:2). This mode completely eliminates judder, unfortunately it creates flickering of the image as well, making it unwatchable.

http://hdguru.com/panasonic-th-50pz8...st-review/249/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by HDTV1080P : 07-08-2008 at 10:12 PM.
post #109 of 511 Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 PM

I have a Panasonic BD-30. The first Blu-ray I picked up was Spiderman 3 and I noticed some flicker in the brighter portions of the picture. I did a firmware update on the player and that seemed to fix the problem. I recently got the Pixar shorts Blu-ray, a series of animated short films, and the flicker is definitely visible in the animated content. You can set it to 60hz and the flicker goes away and it does not seem to effect the picture quality. I don't notice "judder", if there is any, at the 60hz setting. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it.

So in response to the reviews. There are disks that I would choose not to watch at the 48hz setting due to the flicker. To say they are all "unwatchable" is a stretch. It seems to vary based on the movie you are watching.

Here's a link to the page in the 50pz850u thread where they discuss it's performance in 48hz mode. I would think they perform the same.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14554983
post #110 of 511 Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM

What is the set's native resolution / refresh?
post #111 of 511 Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1080p/480mhz

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #112 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM

I am considering purchasing the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U VIERA and during my internet search discovered this forum. There are two things of concern to me that I was hoping could be addressed:

1. Has anyone with the unit experienced any glare/reflections that have adversely affected their viewing enjoyment? I have been leaning toward plasma but a friend of my wife's stands by LCD's as the second coming. I have a large window that would be to the right of the TV at an angle. No direct sunlight into the room, but light does come in.

2. Other than attaching the unit via HDMI or component video cable to the HD cable box, is there anything else that I would need to do to be able to enjoy the TV and its picture? Any tweaks or downloads or adjustments that would improve the picture quality?

Also, what is the best type of cable to attach to the TV from a HD Cable Box, HDMI, Component, or something else?
post #113 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Plasma smokes LCD any day of the week. Just the refresh rate alone is a huge difference. Plasma refresh at 480MHZ while LCD refresh at 120MHZ. Plasma's will have more reflection compared to the LCD though. Keep in mind that Standard TV looks really bad on a LCD while plasmas do a much better job with this material.

You can have the set calibrated by a pro if you like, that usually costs $300 per year. You can personal play with the settings to see what you like. Overall though right out of the box the Panasonics look great.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #114 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the response. As I said, I am leaning toward plasma.

I have been reading the thread and it is talking about judder and 24mz refresh and am confused(24fps input displayed at 48Hz flicker problem). Assuming this means that you can adjust the refresh rate of the TV to a lower point, why would you? Or does this pertain to the DVD player you are using limited to playing a DVD at a certain rate?

Also, doesn't the TV have a setting (professional setting) that would allow you to tweak the picture?

Finally, why is the Cinema Mode something that you would want to disable?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, I am just not finding the answers on-line.

Thanks again.
post #115 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM

[quote=monesq;14670235]I am considering purchasing the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U VIERA and during my internet search discovered this forum. There are two things of concern to me that I was hoping could be addressed:

Quote:
1. Has anyone with the unit experienced any glare/reflections that have adversely affected their viewing enjoyment? I have been leaning toward plasma but a friend of my wife's stands by LCD's as the second coming. I have a large window that would be to the right of the TV at an angle. No direct sunlight into the room, but light does come in.

I went from a RPTV to this set. There are some windows directly behind my viewing position, and I do get reflections from them. It is not bad, with the blinds shut, and considerably better than the glare on the screen protector I had for my RPTV. Imagine you placed a mirror where the set will be. If you can see the window in the mirror you will probably notice a glare. I am sitting directly in front of my set now with a fairly bright light about 8' from the set and six feet to my left and there is no glare from that light. I think the new sets are brighter than the older ones and that will help with a brighter room. If the room is very bright you may want to check out an LCD. You may just have to try the plasma and return it for a LCD if it doesn't work out.

When I first started looking I thought I wanted an LCD. When I started doing research I found the complaints about LCD. I realized I could not stand the banding, and the colors on the plasmas looked better and more natural to me. Since I watch a lot of sports the motion issues were a big factor with me choosing the plasma as well.

Quote:
2. Other than attaching the unit via HDMI or component video cable to the HD cable box, is there anything else that I would need to do to be able to enjoy the TV and its picture? Any tweaks or downloads or adjustments that would improve the picture quality?

One of the settings in the picture mode is "studio ref". This setting looks great, but there are a lot of ways to tweak it if you want.

Quote:
Also, what is the best type of cable to attach to the TV from a HD Cable Box, HDMI, Component, or something else?

HDMI if available
post #116 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the input.
post #117 of 511 Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Is this 24fps flicker issue causing anybody real problems? I read this whole thread and the one real life issue was fixed with the BR player update. Is it something that is highly noticable?

Panasonic TH-50Pz77u
Yamaha HTR-5890
Definitive Technology 2 x 7000sc, CLR 3000, 4 x BPVx, Trinity subwoofer front, Klipsch 12 inch sub rear
PS3
Xbox 360
post #118 of 511 Old 09-17-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

We had some in, now they are gone. Should be back in any day.

So when do ya think supplies of the 850's will catch up to the demand. Order one day, on the truck the next?
post #119 of 511 Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hard to say with Panasonic.....

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #120 of 511 Old 09-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Can anyone explain the difference between these sets and the Panasonic TH-65PF10UK Plasma Monitor??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page