The Official Panasonic TH-65PZ850U Owner's Discussion & Information Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 511 Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No they still don't have it on display, but they did take the older model off display so i except them to put the newer version up soon. I don't no where you live but, they did have this TV on displayed at Pauls Tv's which is in living spaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 511 Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Personally I plan on hanging on to this for around 5 years, at which point I will look at replacing it with a Sony OLED screen, providing they are available and under $10,000 at that point.
post #183 of 511 Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
DR9

Ok so after having my for about a month I've started to notice things.

Not trying to alarm people but looking for confirmation with others or maybe some tweaking fixes.

Setup:

Denon 3808 w/HDMI 1080p output connected to Plasma
- XBOX 360 w/Comp 1080i output then up
- PS3 w/HDMI 1080p passthru
- DirecTV w/S-Video 480i output then up

Issue #1 Ghost like issue with left to right or right to left vertical panning

- When watching TV, Blu-Ray, gaming when things pans slowly or semi fast it looks like its semi lagging to redraw the image and I feel like its double image. Kinda like playing a a FPS on a PC with a LCD and you turn with your mouse left and right and things smear kinda. Its very subtle but I can see it, my friends don't notice it partially because they haven't spent as much time as me. Anyone know what I talking about or relate?

Issue #2 Phospher lag?

Here is are youtube links that I found with the same issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyllx3VaI8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVw_VvFcV1U

- What I've read it the issue is phosher lag or Fringing. again related to the issue one maybe? When I pan left or right in Gears of War or Halo 3 I can see a light green outline of say a building after I already panned then catchup. It's not as severe as the 2nd link more so the 1st link but it's there.

- The idea I read was that when the plasma draws R G B, the R and B are fast drawn and the color G green is slow hence the "lag" in color. Anyway around this?

I really have no option for a return if anyoen is going to ask.

Thanks!

**EDIT**

I found this website with a better detail on issue 2:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/plasm...2007040133.htm
post #184 of 511 Old 10-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, does anyone want a TY-ST65R2-WG stand for $200 shipped? I accidentally bought it thinking I was going to get the 65pz850u, but that deal kinda went through. Anyways, I'm going to try to return if I can, but if I can't then I'm willing to sell it. Just PM me.
post #185 of 511 Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaT View Post

Or a VGA/HDMI adapter might work to give you higher res.

Unfortunately transcoders don't have a very good track record unless you drop the coins to get an expensive scaler. For now it's not a big deal as I don't need that many HDMI ports for now. And if I did, I could just purchase an HDMI switching receiver. But I was hoping to be able utilize 1080p on all my other HD capable inputs. But oh well.
post #186 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Panasonic TY-ST65R2-WG Stand (stand for the Panasonic TH-65PZ750U) works on the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U, pics attached Panasonic TY-ST65R2-WG are pretty cheap right now.

Chris - Panasonic insists on the phone that the old stand is not compatible and can cause damage, can be unstable, etc. Is that something to worry about?
post #187 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 579
She looks just fine on the one we set up. We tried wabbling it and she acted just like the TH-65PZ750U. The unit was not unstable, but what is stable? Put enough force on anything and it will fail. The older stand lined up right on to the new stand.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #188 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks, they looked pretty much the same in the 2 manuals, too. I guess they're just giving me the standard response for liability.
post #189 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

and so you spend more $ on there new one.......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #190 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM

say it ain't so!
post #191 of 511 Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

lol, it is so......

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #192 of 511 Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Just got my 65pz850u from Cleveland Plasma, it's incredible. I can't believe the picture I get when I plug in the SDHC card from my Canon HF10, it looks better than broadcast high-def. I ended up building a custom pedestal stand out of wood and angle brackets.
I highly recommend this plasma tv.
post #193 of 511 Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 PM

any calibration? i cant find them in the calibration thread
post #194 of 511 Old 10-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1777 View Post

any calibration? i cant find them in the calibration thread

Also looking for settings people have tried and like.
post #195 of 511 Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 AM

Received my set, got everything set up and have the burn in DVD running now. I plan on leaving it run for the full 100 hours without stopping it.

One thing I noticed right away is it seems it's slightly brighter around the edges. Almost kind of like the reverse of what you typically see on rear projection CRT's (slightly dimmer around the edges).

Does that sound normal? I'm hoping it's something that will go away after the break in cycle is completed.
post #196 of 511 Old 10-11-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR9 View Post

Issue #1 Ghost like issue with left to right or right to left vertical panning

- When watching TV, Blu-Ray, gaming when things pans slowly or semi fast it looks like its semi lagging to redraw the image and I feel like its double image. Kinda like playing a a FPS on a PC with a LCD and you turn with your mouse left and right and things smear kinda. Its very subtle but I can see it, my friends don't notice it partially because they haven't spent as much time as me. Anyone know what I talking about or relate?

Do you see the same lag with 60fps content? Odds are you don't, as you are seeing the judder that 30fps motion brings. With an LCD the motion blur that comes with the tech (caused by sample and hold), hides the judder by bluring it and lower the motion resolution (and is one of the reasons that LCD fans say they have smoother motion, even on 60hz sets, when it is just reducing the details present in the source image) with a plasma, you are pretty much seeing the source as it is, with almost no display artifacts getting in the way. (more on phosphor lag in a bit) The larger display is another reason that you are seeing it more clearly. As things get bigger, source issues become more noticable, and without any blur being added to hide the defects, you will see them very easily. (another thing to note, as a display gets bigger, LCD blur becomes more noticable as well)

As for the phosphor lag, very few people actually notice this problem at all. (and most of us that do, still consider it to be less annoying than LCD motion resolution loss blur, but there will always be those that see things the other way and prefer LCD blur instead.) Check out the official thread for this problem for more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=603995

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #197 of 511 Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
I was at a Ken Kranes Video store the other day as they had just received the 65 inch 850 series Plasma. I wanted to see it in action. All their sets are hooked up via component video??? Anyway I noticed some noise on the Panasonic 65 inch as well as the 58 inch. The LCD from Sharp at 65 inches did not show the noise. It is almost like a blurry sort of noise. On large backgrounds like sky or areas where the color was uniform you could see waves going through the screen. They had a Panasonic truck outside the store with the Panasonic products. I asked the guy out there to take a look. While he agreed about the noise he could not tell me anything as to whether this is normal or not. Not too technical. I am hoping this is adnormal and not typical of the 65 inch Plasma. I am getting ready to purchase one and do not want to have that kind of picture. What about the folks out there who already have a 65 inch set? Is your picture really sharp? Do you see waves almost like having the frequencey refresh rate too low as in a computer. You can see the refresh of the screen. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Manny
post #198 of 511 Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 AM

drmanny3,
I spent about 30 minutes at my Best Buy Magnolia center watching the 65 850U. I already have the Sharp 65inch 94U in my living room. I do not know if it was hooked up wtih HDMI or component video. I will say that it was a perfect picture. No distortions at all. I watched a BluRay and HD Net on the set. At no time did I see any lines or noise from color changes or scenes.
I got my Sharp for the living room because I have a lot of windows in my viewing area.
But the color and less intense brightness of the 850 is a welcome surprise for my eyes.
This TV will go in a dedicated home theater, so no lights to worry about. I will give you an update if I see any problems after the installation.
post #199 of 511 Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic TY-ST65R2-WG Stand (stand for the Panasonic TH-65PZ750U) works on the Panasonic TH-65PZ850U, pics attached Panasonic TY-ST65R2-WG are pretty cheap right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweinste View Post

Chris - Panasonic insists on the phone that the old stand is not compatible and can cause damage, can be unstable, etc. Is that something to worry about?

Quote:

She looks just fine on the one we set up. We tried wabbling it and she acted just like the TH-65PZ750U. The unit was not unstable, but what is stable? Put enough force on anything and it will fail. The older stand lined up right on to the new stand.

Chris: It's been about 3 weeks since you used the 750 series stand with the 850 series. Do you still feel, in spite of what Panasonic seems to say, that the TY-ST65R2-WG is secure, stable and safe to use with the 65" 850 series? Thanks.
post #200 of 511 Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, none have fallen over. I have been woodworking, welding, just overall frabricating for over 25 years, this will be a ok.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #201 of 511 Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Having my 65pz850 serviced for a bad D board and the techs had the back off so I took some pics before they decided the job needed to be done in their shop. Should have it back to me tomorrow. Hoping for the best.
LL
post #202 of 511 Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Is there much difference in performance between these two. We will be viewing in a room with some windows (side) but do most of our viewing in the evening. The display is used for general television viewing from a cable box, games and movies. I don't need a full television, only a display as I already have speakers and tuners available. I was told there is a difference in the glass between these two. My installer has recommended the 10UK stating that the Pro Models have better circuitry and processing capabilities. Is this true? I understand that there is a newer model coming out (11UK). Does anyone have any idea when that model will be available. I saw late October on one website. The problem is we have to have something by early November. Any help would be appreciated. I am a neophyte and know just enough to be dangerous. The good thing is that I realize this and like to listen to the experts. Thanks for your help in advance.
post #203 of 511 Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, none have fallen over. I have been woodworking, welding, just overall frabricating for over 25 years, this will be a ok.

Chris: Thanks. That's good helpful information.
post #204 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBE View Post

Chris: It's been about 3 weeks since you used the 750 series stand with the 850 series. Do you still feel, in spite of what Panasonic seems to say, that the TY-ST65R2-WG is secure, stable and safe to use with the 65" 850 series? Thanks.

I bought the 65pz850u from Chris as well as the 750 stand (for which he charged me $400 including shipping which is a lot better than $700 plus shipping).

This thing REALLY fits like a glove. All the screw holes line up perfectly, and when comparing pics and such online, the two stands appear to be 100% identical.

I feel the whole setup is extremely stable.

I personally believe it's the same stand with a different model number.
post #205 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post

I bought the 65pz850u from Chris as well as the 750 stand (for which he charged me $400 including shipping which is a lot better than $700 plus shipping).

This thing REALLY fits like a glove. All the screw holes line up perfectly, and when comparing pics and such online, the two stands appear to be 100% identical.

I feel the whole setup is extremely stable.

I personally believe it's the same stand with a different model number.

Looking at the specs, the dimensions are a bit different but I think the 750 is even larger (more stable ?).

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #206 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmonster View Post

Having my 65pz850 serviced for a bad D board and the techs had the back off so I took some pics before they decided the job needed to be done in their shop. Should have it back to me tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

Well maybe it's for the best after all because the "fixes" didn't work and the plan now is to replace the panel. I'm trying to get panasonic to just ship me a new set but they are resisting and want to just replace panel. Service tech says it only takes 2 hours to drop in a new panel and will be good as new (SURE HOPE SO SINCE IT'S ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD). Guess I can look forward to doing the break-in thing one more time. Anyone know what the cost of doing this repair when it's no longer under warranty, say in 2 years. May have to think about a EW afterall.
post #207 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Can someone tell me the dimensions of this unit. My installer is trying to put the mount up but we are not sure of the dimensions. I called Panasonic and they have no cut sheets on this unit yet. One sales site (BesT Buy)site says it is 39.1" tall and one (B&H) says it is 41.5" tall. How wide is the bezel on the sides bottom and top. I know that there is more on the bottom due to the tear drop shape in the middle. Can someone help we are trying to put a mount up before the TV arrives. We have some painting to do after the mount is up. Also can someone tell me where the jack pack" (input board) is located, and whether the inputs are recessed or not. Thanks in advance.
post #208 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM

I hope this is what you were looking for. You will find the overall dimensions as well as the actual screen size.

Manny

TH65PZ850U[1].pdf 48.98046875k . file
post #209 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblizman View Post

Can someone tell me the dimensions of this unit. My installer is trying to put the mount up but we are not sure of the dimensions. I called Panasonic and they have no cut sheets on this unit yet. One sales site (BesT Buy)site says it is 39.1" tall and one (B&H) says it is 41.5" tall. How wide is the bezel on the sides bottom and top. I know that there is more on the bottom due to the tear drop shape in the middle. Can someone help we are trying to put a mount up before the TV arrives. We have some painting to do after the mount is up. Also can someone tell me where the jack pack" (input board) is located, and whether the inputs are recessed or not. Thanks in advance.

I verified the height and width in drmanny's pdf, and they are correct. The bezel is 3 5/16 on the sides, 2 5/8 on the top, and the bottom is 4 5/8 in the center. The "jack pack" is recessed. About .5" if I recall correctly. My mount tilts out at the bottom but it is not real easy to do so it may take me a bit to get any specific measurements. Here's a pic of the back, from the manual, to give you an idea.

post #210 of 511 Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 PM

I had posted recently about my seeing my first 65 inch 850 series at Ken Kranes in Huntington Beach, CA. I was concerned as I saw poor picture quality in both the 65 and the 58 but not on the lcds next to these sets. They were being fed by a component video input. It appeared that there was a wavy-ness almost like having your re-fresh frequency too low for you lcd laptop or when you use a projector and keep the re-fresh to about 60 hertz. Anyway to make a long story short?? I saw the 65 inch at a Best Buy Magnolia store in South Coast Mall (Costa Mesa). It was dead on. I had them place a directv hbo #70 and the movie was the about the 4 superheros?? Anyway the signal was via a component video and it was excellent. I say no picture issues at all. So I guess that Ken Kranes issue was perhaps too many tvs running off the same signal path? I wanted to let everyone know that it must have been a fluke. I think I am going to get this set rather than the pro set. Now it is a matter of checking on the current cost.
Manny

Manny
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page