Why no talk of Fujitsu on here - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I heard these were the best plasma's out. Why are people more concernced with pio sony and sammy on this board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Fujitsu has left the plasma market.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No longer made, and probably not of lot of them out there compared to the other high-volume brands.
post #4 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 PM

Liked: 12
Because:

"At a Board Meeting held on December 27, 2007, the Board of Directors of Fujitsu General Limited passed a resolution to cease activity in the visual display business.

The Visual Display Division of Fujitsu General Limited has focused its efforts in the PDP category primarily in overseas markets. The focus of our marketing was high-end value added products, and our marketing direction was to concentrate on the Custom AV market specializing in advanced AV systems and high end custom installations in North America and the United Kingdom. During the past several years, the pricing and profitability of this segment has compressed beyond the point which our company could realize a satisfactory return on investment. We expect that this market situation will continue in the future.

In light of these conditions and the business structure of our company, we have decided that we will discontinue participation in the visual display business at the end of March, 2008 and concentrate our operating resources on our core business of heating and ventilation equipment instead.

We will ,as a system integrator, continue the visual display business for the domestic business route in Japan and continue to provide after sale service for visual display products after the March 2008 business closure
."
post #5 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM

Would love to hear from people who own a Fujitsu. They're supposed to be incredible but priced incredibly high - make Elite a bargain I understand.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM

post #7 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

Would love to hear from people who own a Fujitsu. They're supposed to be incredible but priced incredibly high - make Elite a bargain I understand.

I have one at my weekend house and, after 4 years, the picture still impresses me greatly. I am not sorry I bought it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
at the current date the pioneer elite would spank them, if fujitsu was out but its done so bye bye.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #9 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

I heard these were the best plasma's out. Why are people more concernced with pio sony and sammy on this board?

Hmm, nobody on this forum is concerned with Sony - they got out of the plasma market a few years ago - way before Fujitsu did - and there's been virtually no talk about Sony here for the past few years now. It's all about Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung now and they're all looking pretty good.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #10 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Hmm, nobody on this forum is concerned with Sony - they got out of the plasma market a few years ago - way before Fujitsu did - and there's been virtually no talk about Sony here for the past few years now. It's all about Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung now and they're all looking pretty good.

We used to buy Sony products since they would last longer and were overall better when I was growing up. Sony TV, VCR, Walkman, Radios, we bought everything Sony.
I now feel that they still maintain the high price but their products are not quite the "highest end" anymore and cut corners these days for higher profits.
I might be wrong, but that is how I feel about Sony.

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
post #11 of 30 Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba View Post

I've had 4 Fujitsu panels and all were great. However none could touch the new Pioneer Kuro displays. Really, no contest. I still have one remaining Fujitsu and two Kuros.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 AM

I believe at the 2006 CES they had a 65" plasma that blew everyone away. Its electronics were toughted to be so powerful that it needed to house them in a seperate unit away from the TV itself. Did anyone here ever get to experience that one?

9G KURO equipped.
post #13 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 AM

My mistake, I was thinking of the Runco...Did anyone ever see the 65" Runco?

9G KURO equipped.
post #14 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

they still make the runco 65" at ~$20,000, Runco uses panasonic glass, it may have excellent processing but the glass does not allow it to match the deep blacks and higher contrast of the 8G or 9G Kuro/Kuro Elites.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #15 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

We used to buy Sony products since they would last longer and were overall better when I was growing up. Sony TV, VCR, Walkman, Radios, we bought everything Sony.
I now feel that they still maintain the high price but their products are not quite the "highest end" anymore and cut corners these days for higher profits.
I might be wrong, but that is how I feel about Sony.

I shared the same opinion of Sony until I bought a PS3. For the price, there is no other A/V component that matches the value this feature packed BD player/gaming console provides.

Sony's support for this platform has been spectacular.

Pioneer should take note.

Once the secret of the Kuro sauce is out, combined with the various HQV video processors (e.g. Realta, Reon) Pioneer's current lock on high-end, ultra-high-priced, PDPs will be short lived.
post #16 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Every technology is eventually matched or even surpassed by another that is cheaper. That doesn't change the reality that at a particular point in time, one particular product line usually stands at least slightly (and sometimes a whole lot more) above the rest.

No manufacturer has owned the top stop for more than a few years, except for Sony in the later part of the 20th Century when they held exclusive rights to Trinitron and the Trinitron picture tube was as good as it got. Even then, though, some Sonys were much better than others. Since the HD era began, the best lines and manufacturers have changed every few years. Even the technology that was on top has changed. 6 or more years ago, it was still CRT and CRT-based RPTV, then Sony/JVC LCoS trading places, etc.

I can go out today and buy a sub-$1000 TV that will pretty much blow away what would have cost me $15000 a decade ago when it comes to larger screen TVs. The technology always marches on but at a point in time you can still only buy one best product. If you are willing to wait, then you get beat that product for less in a few years but also someone else will have raised the bar above anything around today and that will still probably be relatively expensive, whoever it comes from.

That doesn't change the consensus view that right now that best is the Pioneer Elite Kuro. Next year or the year after, who knows.

post #17 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

OP, you bring back those 'oh my' memories. Five years and $10000 ago I saw a Fujitsu. It simply stood out. But, that was then...was'nt it?
post #18 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

they still make the runco 65" at ~$20,000, Runco uses panasonic glass, it may have excellent processing but the glass does not allow it to match the deep blacks and higher contrast of the 8G or 9G Kuro/Kuro Elites.

If your premise about the glass is true then Pioneer's 10Gs will under perform the 9Gs.

I think there is more to black levels than just the glass.

I agree with your point about the processing, though, Runco easily beats any other display available even with a dedicated external processor.
post #19 of 30 Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The 10G glass will be made by Panasonic but it won't be the same as Panasonic's current glass. It is to be made to Pioneer's specs using Pioneer's technology. Panasonic gets to use some of that technology in exchange. You can expect the next generation of Panny glass to have better blacks. As good as the Pioneer? We will have to wait and see.

post #20 of 30 Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

No manufacturer has owned the top stop for more than a few years, except for Sony in the later part of the 20th Century when they held exclusive rights to Trinitron and the Trinitron picture tube was as good as it got.

Just curious, what exactly made 'Trinitron' so special? I always thought it was just a marketing thing for their color TV's (we did get my grandfather one in the mid-1970's and it was a great set).

Was a 'Trinitron' TV/tube really different from what else was available at the time ?
post #21 of 30 Old 08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I've had 4 Fujitsu panels and all were great. However none could touch the new Pioneer Kuro displays. Really, no contest. I still have one remaining Fujitsu and two Kuros.

+1

I just went from a fujitsu to a Kuro and the 9G Kuro is better in every way.

Dont get me wrong it was a great display and better at the time then anything else IMO, but its dated.
I paid about 9K for it three years ago and just sold it for 2k to a friend.
post #22 of 30 Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 View Post

If your premise about the glass is true then Pioneer's 10Gs will under perform the 9Gs.

I agree with your point about the processing, though, Runco easily beats any other display available even with a dedicated external processor.

They can probably match, not beat a good dedicated external video processor. I am sure Runco is embedding a third party processor in there.
post #23 of 30 Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Just curious, what exactly made 'Trinitron' so special? I always thought it was just a marketing thing for their color TV's (we did get my grandfather one in the mid-1970's and it was a great set).

Was a 'Trinitron' TV/tube really different from what else was available at the time ?

Yes, it was and Sony held a patent on the technology for many years. It had several differences. The phosphors were arranged in continuous top to bottom vertical stripes, unlike any other set at the time, where the red, green and blue phosphors were in clusters rather than the stripes. Another difference was that the tube also had curvature on only one axis, not on two like all its contemporaries. Finally, the cathode ray "guns" were arrayed and worked differently than other sets guns did. See this Wikipedia article that explains it better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron.

Sony's patents on the Trinitron expired just about at the time digital and high definition TV were starting to come in in the U.S.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I can go out today and buy a sub-$1000 TV that will pretty much blow away what would have cost me $15000 a decade ago when it comes to larger screen TVs. The technology always marches on but at a point in time you can still only buy one best product. If you are willing to wait, then you get beat that product for less in a few years but also someone else will have raised the bar above anything around today and that will still probably be relatively expensive, whoever it comes from.

That doesn't change the consensus view that right now that best is the Pioneer Elite Kuro. Next year or the year after, who knows.

People auditioning displays ten years go, if they could have previewed today's commodity PDPs -- well, they would marvel and wonder why all of the excitement about the minimally-visible differences between the Samsungs and the Kuros.

I remember, twelve years ago at CES, marveling at a 40" plasma prototype that was "available" for $20K. "Zero black luminance" never crossed my mind.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwr1776 View Post

Not true. Pioneer is sharing their knowledge with Panasonic and Panasonic will build the glass to Pioneer specs. So there is no reason to think that the 10g will underperform the 9g in terms of black levels. In fact it will outperform it.

Other aspects of PQ are unknown at this time. BTW, I was never impressed with Runco plasmas. I always thought the Fujitsus outperformed them. I actually thought that B&O did a better job with plasmas than Runco.
post #26 of 30 Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
A Runco will out scale any display being made, as it should looking at the price. I wish Fujitsu was still in the game and I wish NEC still made there own panels.

More market changes will come with the race to "0" going on in the flat panel market.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Scaling is one thing, but typical HD material will look far better on any current day Kuro plasma than any Runco ever made. In their day Fujitsus put out a better picture than the even pricier Runcos. So price is not always the bottom line indicator of picture quality.

I've got a Fujitsu in my den and a Kuro in my living room. Suffice is to say the Fujitsu pales by comparison to the Kuro. Time marches on.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM

i Have both a Fujitsu 50" AVIAMO 1080p and a Pioneer elite kuro, now all i am going to say,you can not say anything about Fujitsu, unless you are comparing these two together, not an old model Fujitsu to what pioneer is selling now! Fujistu is a better plasma, but since they do not sell anymore, the crown is now handed over to pioneer. Don't knock Fugi. its just a shame that they will not be making them anymore. But i hope pioneer keep a firm step ahead of the competition and in by no means want to take anything away from pioneer, i currently am waiting on my kuro 60" that will be here in 2weeks. RIP Fujitsu, but now its the next gen. turn to take charge.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
i know its irrelevent but runco recently came out of the shadow and is putting new plasma and lcd.... do we dare to compare agaisnt pioneer? or did runco stay out of the game too long to even stand a chance against pioneer kuro project?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #30 of 30 Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays