HDMI cable for Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for an HDMI cable for my plasma. Does the thickness or gauge of an HDMI cable affect the qualiy of video transmission? thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM

You should just check some of the forum sponsors. They seem to have good deals on quality cables.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

definitely, forum sponsors like monoprice are great. But I'm wondering what gauge/thickness of HDMI cable I should get. And whether the gauge of the cable affects the transmission of the video/sound signal.
post #4 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
.. 28awg should be fine (quality-wize) up a/r 10ft; 24awg has been noted here as rather thick & hard to maneuver into tight places. here's another tech forum where they discuss similar subject (bit dated):

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=56796
post #5 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 PM

bettercables.com....outstanding picture considerably better than monster and much better pricing and bang for you buck. If you want take it to the next level, Analysis plus X HDMI cable is spectacular for about $75.
But if you one of those who cannot tell difference between s video > component > HDMI then ignore my post and go with the generics.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Like everyone mentioned, the thickness and lower gauge cable is not going to increase picture quality. In terms of car audio talk, when you talk about running 3000-4000 watts from a 12AWG over a 0AWG wire, the current will flow much better and increase efficiency on 0AWG wire. That is much more significant to sound quality. This is not the case for TV's.

Chris
post #7 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom16 View Post

bettercables.com....outstanding picture considerably better than monster and much better pricing and bang for you buck. If you want take it to the next level, Analysis plus X HDMI cable is spectacular for about $75.
But if you one of those who cannot tell difference between s video > component > HDMI then ignore my post and go with the generics.

HDMI cables all provide the same picture, the 1s and 0s don't care if your cable is braided OP should look into monoprice and look for the best deal he can find. "Quality" digital audio cables are the biggest scam in HT.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #8 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick. View Post

hdmi cables all provide the same picture, the 1s and 0s don't care if your cable is braided Op should look into monoprice and look for the best deal he can find. "quality" digital audio cables are the biggest scam in ht.

+1

If birth control is 99% effective, then my wife and I are the other 1%.

PSN: Hotmoosettu
post #9 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Hi,

I purchased 24 AWG from Monoprice just last week and they are indeed thick. However, that didn't prevent me from dressing them into the position I wanted. I think I'd go with the 28 AWG the next time, just for the added flexibility.

Regards,
Adnan
post #10 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

HDMI cables all provide the same picture, the 1s and 0s don't care if your cable is braided OP should look into monoprice and look for the best deal he can find. "Quality" digital audio cables are the biggest scam in HT.

Actually in my recent interviews with 1s and 0s they said they much prefer to be carried by a $100 HDMI cable from best buy. They think it is funny.
post #11 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Eehh FALSE, $40 for quality is hardly the biggest scam alright imposter. Freakin monoprice employees are everywhere around here.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Eehh FALSE, $40 for quality is hardly the biggest scam alright imposter. Freakin monoprice employees are everywhere around here.

I have zero affiliation to monoprice other than that I've bought several of their cables. You have no idea what you are talking about claiming that you are getting a better picture from something more expensive, but hey, it's your money, thow it away...
post #13 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're joking right? If you actually believe in that stuff I feel sorry for you. Everyone in the world recommends monoprice because it's the cheapest place to get HDMI cables, so throw the conspiracy theory out. HDMI cables look the same whether they are 10 dollars or a 100, as long as they are well made and fit properly any more money spent is a waste. If you can find any scientific information proving otherwise I'd love to see it. Analog cables are another story but even the improvement you get on them is minimal once you hit a certain price bracket.

post #14 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm trying to challenge the post, but he IS the president and CEO of bettercables.com btw. I honestly don't think there is any difference between hdmi cables up to 30 or so feet.
Quote:

And the really good news is that you don't have to fork out $300 for a calibration, for only 1/5 of that price you can get an HDMI from bettercables.com or from their listings on ebay($20-$25) and that will give your picture a boost IMO just as much as a ISF calibration. And yes I'll admit it...I am CEO and owner of bettercables.com

What is dead can never die. Long live my 151!
post #15 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

You're joking right? If you actually believe in that stuff I feel sorry for you. Everyone in the world recommends monoprice because it's the cheapest place to get HDMI cables, so throw the conspiracy theory out. HDMI cables look the same whether they are 10 dollars or a 100, as long as they are well made and fit properly any more money spent is a waste. If you can find any scientific information proving otherwise I'd love to see it. Analog cables are another story but even the improvement you get on them is minimal once you hit a certain price bracket.

I like this post much more than the 1's and 0's one. Not just because you hit the nail on the head, but more to do with the fact of how loosely people throw the "1's and 0's" example around without truly understanding how it actually applies. I am not saying that you don't, but that whole analogy is rather opaque and misunderstood.
post #16 of 28 Old 08-28-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:

well actually I feel sorry for your friends and family who Im sure benefit much from your tightpants mentality. And why do I need scientific information for something so simple as sight? can you provide me scientific proof why you think Kuro elite has a better picture than a Samsung? Can you show me scientific proof why arrowhead tastes and feel better than tap water?
ha ha ha if you think $10 and $100 cables are built the same....don't exaggerate much do you?
post #17 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

well actually I feel sorry for your friends and family who Im sure benefit much from your tightpants mentality. And why do I need scientific information for something so simple as sight? can you provide me scientific proof why you think Kuro elite has a better picture than a Samsung? Can you show me scientific proof why arrowhead tastes and feel better than tap water?
ha ha ha if you think $10 and $100 cables are built the same.
...don't exaggerate much do you?

I don't think he's saying they're built the same at all. I think he's saying they perform the same function within tolerances that are more than adequate for their applications. With any difference in tolerances/quality being imperceptible to the human eye.

I for one got "caught out there" with the monster cable DVI/HDMI cable , mainly I was impatient and just wanted it right then. When I did finally need additional cables I hit monoprice. I noticed absolutely no difference in PQ between the two.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #18 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
monoprice monoprice monoprice!
End of story!!

PS. Guys we need to hide this thread before Schtickter shows up!!!
post #19 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Have any of you guys seen the Canadian Broadcasting company report where they took several HDMI cables and tested them with a viewing panel and, more telling for me, they measured the input and output signals on very high quality broadcast test equipment that their TV engineers use and there was zero difference. I tend to believe broadcast engineers and their measurements. You can see the video and read the story here: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/0...king_the_deal/

post #20 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ha ha ha if you think $10 and $100 cables are built the same....don't exaggerate much do you?

Buddy you picked the wrong site to push snake oil, you can say whatever you want and there will be 5 people more to back up my point. Digital cables provide the same picture regardless of price, end of story, thank you!

post #21 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

i find it amusing that you make this statement, considering your original post taken against the quote where you say you are the owner/ceo of bettercables... you might want to slip that little disclaimer into your signature...

fwiw, your little rant about "scientific proof" doesn't add to your credibility...

on topic... long time monoprice user here... no issues whatsoever... and yes, i can tell the difference between s-video and hdmi...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #22 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM

Mr. "CEO" up there lost all credability when he says "you don't have to fork out $300 for a calibration, for only 1/5 of that price you can get an HDMI from bettercables.com or from their listings on ebay($20-$25) and that will give your picture a boost IMO just as much as a ISF calibration". Total nonsense, not to mention that 1/5 of $300 = $60 not $20-25. Hope the CEO isn't doing any of the accounting...
post #23 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebum431 View Post

Mr. "CEO" up there lost all credability when he says "you don't have to fork out $300 for a calibration, for only 1/5 of that price you can get an HDMI from bettercables.com or from their listings on ebay($20-$25) and that will give your picture a boost IMO just as much as a ISF calibration". Total nonsense, not to mention that 1/5 of $300 = $60 not $20-25. Hope the CEO isn't doing any of the accounting...

$60 is their regular sale price for 6ft straight from bettercables.com. $20-25 is the what the ebay listings end up and it varies from 3ft-6ft. So $60 is the max you have to fork out and is 1/5 of $300 sherlock and the picture improvement is indeed very much on par with a calibration. And a cheapskate like you will never know what a ISF look like anyhow. You're just going by scientific data. I've had 5 ISF calibrations with RPTV, LCD, and plasma so at least Im not just pulling numbers from my azz but offer real world everyday man observation. And lastly I don't need validation from another tightwad ok so bite me!
post #24 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I find it funny your calling people cheapskates yet you own an LG TV Do your cables bring it up to Kuro Elite level

post #25 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

...the picture improvement is indeed very much on par with a calibration. And a cheapskate like you will never know what a ISF look like anyhow. You're just going by scientific data. I've had 5 ISF calibrations with RPTV, LCD, and plasma so at least Im not just pulling numbers from my azz but offer real world everyday man observation. And lastly I don't need validation from another tightwad ok so bite me!

right...

the attacks don't increase your credibility either...

yup. just throw good ol' scientific data in trash, no need for that stuff...

you are dreaming if you think swapping hdmi cables is analagous to a good calibration... either that, or you've had really lousy calibrations...

look... many here have a pretty significant investment in their a/v equipment... it's highly unlikely that we'd sacrifice an improvement by using cables that don't work... the fact that the great majority of us use monoprice cables happily and successfully speaks volumes...

but then again, you are looking to sell something... the guys selling the cable lifters claim to "hear" stuff that doesn't exist too...

there's another cable vendor who posts here... his opinions are greatly valued... he doesn't sell snake oil...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #26 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

right...

the attacks don't increase your credibility either...

yup. just throw good ol' scientific data in trash, no need for that stuff...

you are dreaming if you think swapping hdmi cables is analagous to a good calibration... either that, or you've had really lousy calibrations...

look... many here have a pretty significant investment in their a/v equipment... it's highly unlikely that we'd sacrifice an improvement by using cables that don't work... the fact that the great majority of us use monoprice cables happily and successfully speaks volumes...

but then again, you are looking to sell something... the guys selling the cable lifters claim to "hear" stuff that doesn't exist too...

there's another cable vendor who posts here... his opinions are greatly valued... he doesn't sell snake oil...

I think this guy is beyond help, he obviously only has an AVS membership for free advertising. Guys like this really reduce the value of some of the information found on this site. You always have to look out for viral marketers these days that pose as regular consumers.

post #27 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:

I find it funny your calling people cheapskates yet you own an LG TV Do your cables bring it up to Kuro Elite level

The LG exceeds the Bluro without the help. And if anyone whos the imposter it is you king tightwad. Monoprice roaches are crawling everywhere.
post #28 of 28 Old 08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 333
we are done here

thank you
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page