Plasmas dimmer than LCD's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just went to Best Buy today and I noticed that The Panasonic TH-42PZ80U plasma was A LOT dimmer than the Samsung LN40a550 LCD. I know the bright lights in the store contribute to this, and the fact that they push the brightness up on the LCD's in store, but it was really noticeable and it just didn't have the same "pop" effect that the Sammy did. Is it really that drastic of a difference when the Plasma is in your room? Because I really like the bright vivid picture of the LCD compared to the dimmer plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM

The big question is if you will like this bright light late at night in a room with no or very dim lights?
post #3 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Yes in general it's normal that LCD's are brighter than plasmas, which will give it more pop when you see them next to each other. But brighter doesn't mean better or clearer or more pop, especially when they're not side to side to compare. It depends on how much light is in the room you're going to put the TV in. Normally the first thing people do is turn the backlight of an LCD down to about half because it's way too overblown in a home environment. For instance, I have an LCD and my backlight out of 10, is set to 3. It's not a very natural picture to have your TV so bright. However, if that's the way you like the picture, then yes it will be just as bright, if not brighter in your house. Plasmas however don't have a setting to control how bright the picture is, so if you have a brightly lit room, it's not going to change much to how you see it in the store. In a dimly lit room, or completely dark, the plasma will have much more pop than what you see in the store, but still, it's not adjustable as it is on an LCD
post #4 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM

brighter = hurts the eyes = headaches
dimmer = good

that's my equation anyway.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by altrashstuff View Post

brighter = hurts the eyes = headaches
dimmer = good

that's my equation anyway.

I don't know about that. The brighter LCD made the colors more vivid and the whites were way whiter than the plasma's. It just looked cleaner and crisper. That's why I'm wondering if this is all the stores fault, and if I can get a better picture out of it when I bring it home. Or will it still be dim?

On a sidenote: The Samsung LNa650 seemed to have much better blacks than the Panny. What's up with that?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Samsung LNA650's blacks are about the same as the Panasonic PZ80, but bright lights in the store will wash out a plasma. This is a because the plasma's phosphors are actually gray in color (like a CRT), while the LCD's screen material is black. In your house I very much doubt you'll notice this, unless you have a LOT of light coming in during the daytime.

The plasma probably won't look dim when you get it home. Those LCDs are incredibly bright in the store, you can't tell because the lights in the store are also bright. They'll give you a headache unless you adjust them.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM

^^^

Agree...unless I'm running my display in THX mode, I usually have it in a significant powersave mode, which causes it to dim a bit.

While LCDs are, in general, brighter, I don't know of any 2008 plasma that is too dim under normal home viewing situations.

That said, I would think that the PZ800u would make for a better comparison to the 650a.

Bottom line, both are great displays, and LCD does have its advantages, but you won't find many in this side of the forum who think those advantages outweigh the minuses.

pax,
rwr
post #8 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster_Ear View Post

I don't know about that. The brighter LCD made the colors more vivid and the whites were way whiter than the plasma's. It just looked cleaner and crisper. That's why I'm wondering if this is all the stores fault, and if I can get a better picture out of it when I bring it home. Or will it still be dim?

On a sidenote: The Samsung LNa650 seemed to have much better blacks than the Panny. What's up with that?

I watch my tv in a very dim room. I have thick curtains for daytime viewing. If I go too bright like an LCD can, I need an Advil after 2 hours. That's why I chose a Plasma, as it is generally dimmer than LCD but superior in every other aspect, IMO.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM