Can I convert RF Coax (cable) to component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, first of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but there's so many that I think it could fit in.

Anyway, I know a little about home audio/video, but it isn't my strongest area. Anyhow, here's what I'm trying to do...

A friend is wanting me to set up a 42" Plasma tv for him, and I'm having some problems. All he wants to use it for is regular analog cable tv, and a dvd/vcr combo player.

Here's the problems I've run into... The TV doesn't have an RF analog jack to connect to the cable (so I guess "technically" it would be a display, rather than a 'tv'). I also don't think the composite video jacks (yellow) work on the TV. All I have to work with are the RGB component video port, S-Video port, and the red/white audio jacks. (It also has a VGA, and DVI port)

When I connect the DVD player or a satellite box to the component RGB jacks, it works fine. Is there any sort of a converter that I can use to convert a coax cable to component video or S-Video?

And I also noticed another problem...

My first idea was to plug the cable tv's coax into the input connection on the vcr, then use the composite yellow/white/red cables out to the tv. I could only get the audio to work that way, so I think the yellow video jacks are bad on the TV.

My second idea then was to use an s-video/yellow composite dongle cable to convert the yellow output on the vcr to S-video to plug into the TV, so that the cable tv signal input into the vcr, outputs to the tv. That worked, but only one problem. The video displayed was in black and white. :unsure:

I'm stumped.

Thanks,

-Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually thinking about it a bit... I know they have tv tuner boxes, where you would control the tv from a box, rather than the tv. Do they have one of those that I could do rf coax cable in from the cable tv connection at the wall, then output RGB component to the display?
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2008, 08:30 AM

Liked: 32
Just look on ebay for a ATSC or QAM tuner and that should fix that...I also doubt the composite is bad...sounds like you are on the wrong input or wrong connection on the source...connected the input instead of the output...
post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

yes, you can use and external tuner but depending upon the area you live in, you will get only a few basic channels.

is getting a set-top-box form the cable provider of the budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFShane View Post

I was actually thinking about it a bit... I know they have tv tuner boxes, where you would control the tv from a box, rather than the tv. Do they have one of those that I could do rf coax cable in from the cable tv connection at the wall, then output RGB component to the display?

post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I would guess that his friend does not want to incur the monthly rental charge for a STB. The earlier suggestion of finding an ATSC tuner on eBay is a good one. I recently picked up a used Sony (SAT-HD200) tuner on eBay ($25 plus shipping) for my daughter's 32" LCD HDTV. She did not want to bother with cable at all and just wanted to pick up the HDTV channels in her local area. You can input satellite, cable and off-the-air signals into this box and output to DVI/HDMI, component, RGB, S-Video and of course the lowest common denominator composite video. I used a cheap set of HDTV rabbit ears for reception, then ran component cables from the box to the set and it worked great - even I was surprised.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I would guess that his friend does not want to incur the monthly rental charge for a STB. The earlier suggestion of finding an ATSC tuner on eBay is a good one. I recently picked up a used Sony (SAT-HD200) tuner on eBay ($25 plus shipping) for my daughter's 32" LCD HDTV. She did not want to bother with cable at all and just wanted to pick up the HDTV channels in her local area. You can input satellite, cable and off-the-air signals into this box and output to DVI/HDMI, component, RGB, S-Video and of course the lowest common denominator composite video. I used a cheap set of HDTV rabbit ears for reception, then ran component cables from the box to the set and it worked great - even I was surprised.

Wait wait...Can I plug my coaxial cable (basic cable) into this receiver unit and get S-VIDEO out of it?

I have a audio receiver that has the TOSLINK digital fiber optic audio ports and my tv's highest input for video is S-VIDEO.

I'd like my basic cable channels to look good, so I would like to know if I can get better quality from this unit...thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedrein View Post

Wait wait...Can I plug my coaxial cable (basic cable) into this receiver unit and get S-VIDEO out of it?

I have a audio receiver that has the TOSLINK digital fiber optic audio ports and my tv's highest input for video is S-VIDEO.

I'd like my basic cable channels to look good, so I would like to know if I can get better quality from this unit...thanks!

Yes - assuming that your basic cable in not encrypted - this unit will take the RF cable input and allow you to output S-Video.

But S-Video will only output 480i anyway, just like coax or baseband video (yellow RCA).

S-video has the benefit of separating the chrominance and luminance signals, basically giving the signal a little more bandwidth for better color reproduction over coax or baseband video connections.

You have to decide if the small improvement in picture quality is worth the bother.

For a copy of the unit manual:

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys..._SAT-HD200.pdf

post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would guess that his friend does not want to incur the monthly rental charge for a STB. \\

+1

Quote:

\\ I recently picked up a used Sony (SAT-HD200) tuner on eBay ($25 plus shipping) for my daughter's 32" LCD HDTV. She did not want to bother with cable at all and just wanted to pick up the HDTV channels in her local area. You can input satellite, cable and off-the-air signals into this box and output to DVI/HDMI, component, RGB, S-Video and of course the lowest common denominator composite video. I used a cheap set of HDTV rabbit ears for reception, then ran component cables from the box to the set and it worked great - even I was surprised.

does this box output HD (over HDMI or compo) if the basic cable has HD channels?? in our are we get abc, nbc, cbs etc. in HD over the basic cable.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Yes - assuming that your basic cable in not encrypted - this unit will take the RF cable input and allow you to output S-Video.

But S-Video will only output 480i anyway, just like coax or baseband video (yellow RCA).

S-video has the benefit of separating the chrominance and luminance signals, basically giving the signal a little more bandwidth for better color reproduction over coax or baseband video connections.

You have to decide if the small improvement in picture quality is worth the bother.

For a copy of the unit manual:

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys..._SAT-HD200.pdf

Maybe I am just a picky videophile, but everytime I've upgraded from RF or composite video to S-vid, it has been a substantial difference. Plus I'll be able to get the digital audio, sounds like a deal to me.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

does this box output HD (over HDMI or compo) if the basic cable has HD channels?? in our area we get abc, nbc, cbs etc. in HD over the basic cable.

Sorry I can't say, but if you're sure that the local HDTV stations are passed through 'in the clear' then theoretically it should work, but each cable operator in the country has a different way of doing business.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page