The Offical Samsung PNXXA760 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The CNET review stated that the 'Smooth' mode did not work with 1080p sources on the PN63A760. Should that be expected? Doesn't the "de-judder" mode on other sets work with 1080p sources?

Can someone who has this set verify this? Also, if you can enable smooth mode with a 1080p source...how does it look? Noticeably different like the de-judder mode on LCDs? They usually offer different levels of adjustments too...

"We also checked out the Smooth mode on the PN63A760. For some reason it doesn't work with 1080p sources, so we switched our PS3 to 1080i output and compared it with the dejudder modes, also titled Smooth, on the Sony and the Pioneer. In general, the Samsung worked as expected, eliminating much of the judder associated with film-based material. It also introduced its share of artifacts, including some separation in fast-moving objects and the "halo" effect, which appeared primarily during fast movement onscreen or camera movement. One example occurred in the beginning of Chapter 15, when Moore's helmet seemed to break apart as he quickly glanced down, and a bit later when a halo formed behind a quick moving soldier. The dejudder effect also seemed to kick in and out rather abruptly, such as during a quick pan around Moore's wife's house that went from smooth back to judder in a relatively jarring way.

Since many viewers who can afford this TV will likely feed it 1080p sources, however, Smooth is much less relevant than it would be on other displays. We also checked out its effects when watching non-film-based (native 60Hz) material, including a hockey game, and we couldn't see any evidence of smoothing, nor any difference between the Samsung and the other displays. The PN63A760 lacked any trace of the "triple puck effect" seen on the dejudder modes of some of the company's 120Hz LCDs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Can 58A650 and 58A760 do 120MHZ refresh?
Thanks!
post #63 of 86 Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

i've had my 63" for about a month now and love it! got a nice PC hooked up via DVI --> HDMI and BluRay H264 rips looks very nice on it.

Hey Sturmie-which format are you using to stream HD content to your 760? I have most of them converted to MKV but I'm trying to figure out which format to use in order to preserve the video/audio qualities but still be able to stream to the 760. Is there a particular app that you are using for this? I appreciate it..
post #64 of 86 Old 02-24-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfriedman View Post

Well, here it is by request. I just got a PN58A760 on Saturday. I can tell you this is one outstanding plasma. It has by far exceeded my expectations.

Are you using Cable. Direct TV or Fios. I got the 58760 on this past Saturday...my pic does not appera to be clear at all. Im using Direct TV with a M1000 HD monster HDMI cable. help !
post #65 of 86 Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Doesn't seem like too many people have this set. I'm about to order a 50a760 from CP and was hoping to get some feedback.

After dealing with some ridiculous clouding and flashlighting on the last lcd, i'm sure even if the 760 has slight issues it will be much better than the lcd I had. Also in the store it looks like the Samsungs handle a noisy feed pretty well compared to other sets. I saw alot of noise on my lcd coming from the cable box and htpc, but when I hooked it up to a friends Samsung 950 lcd it looked great.

So, anybody have the set for a few months and not like it? or is everybody happy with theirs? Any issues with PC using dvi-hdmi? 80% of my viewing material will be from the htpc so any feedback on that would be great.
post #66 of 86 Old 03-17-2009, 12:02 PM

1) How does the Samsung PN58A760 58" stack up against the Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Viera 58"? The latter costs about $400 less according to what I'm seeing from online vendors, and will be easier for me to acquire locally (living in Hawaii can be a bitch).

2) How well do the DLNA features of the PN58A760 behave? Does anyone have it working with Tversity-delivered video content? When using it as a DLNA device over Ethernet, is there some way to pipe the audio to my receiver?
post #67 of 86 Old 03-25-2009, 12:36 PM

I just ordered a PN50a760 from costco.com and I was wondering what's the horizontal distance between the mounting holes of this unit? Im worried my existing wall mount for a 46"lcd is not long enough for this tv.

Thanks!
post #68 of 86 Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Just brought the unit home today and it is absolutely stunning. I am ready to start breaking the tv in with the break in dvd. Does anybody have recommended settings for break in? All I have done so far is lower the contrast and brightness way down to like 25 and turned on the Energy Saver. Is this sufficient or is it turned down too low?

Also has anyone broken in their set already? Anyone start using it normally right out of the box? Curious to know if there are any difference in the reports.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
post #69 of 86 Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier821 View Post

Just brought the unit home today and it is absolutely stunning. I am ready to start breaking the tv in with the break in dvd. Does anybody have recommended settings for break in? All I have done so far is lower the contrast and brightness way down to like 25 and turned on the Energy Saver. Is this sufficient or is it turned down too low?

Also has anyone broken in their set already? Anyone start using it normally right out of the box? Curious to know if there are any difference in the reports.

I am doing a combination of break-in dvd and watching the TV. I'm torn on the usefulness of break-in and haven't seen any IR yet (just got it last night...it's probably been on for 13 hours or so). I'll run the images when I'm not watching TV, but will watch what I want (ensuring no bars on any sides).

I'm using settings for contrast and brightness around 45 or so.

NateDawg
post #70 of 86 Old 03-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDawg View Post

I am doing a combination of break-in dvd and watching the TV. I'm torn on the usefulness of break-in and haven't seen any IR yet (just got it last night...it's probably been on for 13 hours or so). I'll run the images when I'm not watching TV, but will watch what I want (ensuring no bars on any sides).

I'm using settings for contrast and brightness around 45 or so.

I have adopted the same strategy and pretty much the same settings. I just got everything set up last night myself but I started the break in on Friday. I guess I was about 10-20 hours into the break in dvd and I started watching full screen hd material and had no issues. I even got a short 30-45 minunte xbox 360 session in with guitar hero and again no issues. However I when I began watching an HDX movie on my VUDU it was being displayed in 2.35 asepct ratio. So I had black bars on top and bottom. I could not get rid of them so I let it go for about a half an hour. I then put up the white screen and saw very, very faint IR. Probably would have never noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. So i stopped watching that movie and went back to my HD cable. By the end of the night there was no trace of the IR. I will just stay away from that aspect ratio till I finish the break in period to be on the safe side.

On another note I have the Infolink all set up which was really easy. It's a neat feature to get some info at a quick glance.This evening I am going to configure the media sharing feature with my pc. I am curious to see if the TV will successfully transmit the 5.1 audio from my divx movies with ac3 audio to my receiver using the Toslink output. I'll update with how it turns out if anyone is interested.

Just a couple of impressions of the set so far.

Even with the settings turned down to "break in" levels the set looks outstanding. Even though I am using a 7.1 set up I did try out the speakers and once I turned on the SRS TruSurround I was pleasantly surprised with how it sounded. And the fact that there is a full EQ settings section is a big plus. I am keeping everything to on Just Scan most of the time unless there is interference on the edges of the screen.
post #71 of 86 Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:

Where do I find info about calibrating (ISF?) this beast of a TV?
I have just got 84 kilo of a glas art monster into my livingroom....
The foot stand alone (also in glas) weighs in at 17 kilo!
post #72 of 86 Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Hey guys:
I just got the PN50A760 two days ago. I noticed yesterday that when I go to the menu settings, there is serious MENU LAG. Moving from one field to the next on the menu takes about 5 seconds or so. It is so frustrating.

Anybody having the same issues? Thanks in advance for any responses or comments.
post #73 of 86 Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 PM

I am not impressed with this tv. I have ps3 and tried blue ray on it and you can see the pixels moving the picture and its super destracting. Almost looks like a cartoon. And its not a burn in issue. You can just see the picture is made up of a million pixels. games look like crap. I saw a review that said it has a soft picture, i believe maybe this is what soft means. Unless i have a defect some how i feel this tv is missing crisp outlines. Like on games the outline of objects are not crisp. I'd appraite it if someone let me know if they experiance the same thing.
post #74 of 86 Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblen View Post

Where do I find info about calibrating (ISF?) this beast of a TV?
I have just got 84 kilo of a glas art monster into my livingroom....
The foot stand alone (also in glas) weighs in at 17 kilo!

I just calibrated my TV over the weekend using the ISF DVD. Though the settings are unique to my lighting and sources I would be glad to post them as a starting point. Also you can get the ISF calibration DVD from the ISF website as well. I will be getting the full fledged ISF calibration/certification with all the pro gear in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny13 View Post

Hey guys:
I just got the PN50A760 two days ago. I noticed yesterday that when I go to the menu settings, there is serious MENU LAG. Moving from one field to the next on the menu takes about 5 seconds or so. It is so frustrating.

Anybody having the same issues? Thanks in advance for any responses or comments.

This maybe a silly question but how are you navigating the Menu? Are you spinning the menu wheel or are you clicking left/right/up/down. The wheel works both ways. I noticed when I was spinning the wheel it was not as responsive as I would like as it took a full revolution to equal on directional click.

I have also heard some mention of Samsung having slow remote commands. I have not experienced this or have had any issues with delays in the meuns and I have been using them quite frequently over the past week and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryExit View Post

I am not impressed with this tv. I have ps3 and tried blue ray on it and you can see the pixels moving the picture and its super destracting. Almost looks like a cartoon. And its not a burn in issue. You can just see the picture is made up of a million pixels. games look like crap. I saw a review that said it has a soft picture, i believe maybe this is what soft means. Unless i have a defect some how i feel this tv is missing crisp outlines. Like on games the outline of objects are not crisp. I'd appraite it if someone let me know if they experiance the same thing.

Unfortunately there are a lot of variables before we can say the TV is at fault here. I have had the exact opposite experience with my model. I have the PN-50A760. I have been comparing and shopping for two years and this TV just had an amazing picture that I connected with. My experience has been that things damn near look 3-d on this set. Great contrast and detail. But let's look at direct comparisons. I am not sure which model you have so I will proceed as if we have the same model. If you hvae the 63" that is a totally different animal and is the size that got a poor review. I have not experienced any of the issues associated with the 60" on the 50" model. The size of the screen can have a huge impact on performance once you go beyond 50".

I have mine set up for my Xbox 360 running 1080p via Component directly to my TV. I have adjusted the "Just Scan" and picture placement to where I have 100% of the image for the 360 visible. I am experiencing no control lag and a beautiful image. I have played Guitar Hero Aerosmith and was shocked to see the difference in graphics and detail as the game does not look that impressive in Standard Definition. I also played Burnout 3 Takedown. This is a game I am very familiar with as I played the hell out of it in Standard Definition. Again a phenominal improvement. The smoth shine on the cars the dynamic lighting changes from the street to the dark underpasses. This game is blazing fast and I had no isues what so ever.

To compare your Blu-Ray experience I just tested Samsungs BD-P3600 over the weekend and watched The Fifth Element and Hancock. I had it hooked up via HDMI to an Integra 7.8 Receiver and then HDMI to my TV. Again no issues with either movie. Also The Fifth Element is absoltely an amazing movie to show off what your TV can do. Everything from vivid colors to deep blacks to fast action scenes and all where handled with out pixelation or motion blur.

So why have we had two totally different experiences with the same TV? I would say it has to do with all the variables in between. Can you provide some inforamtion on your set up? Also what brand HDMI are you using if you are using HDMI and how long are the cables? What movie and games have you tried? What about when you watch HD cable/sat or other sources?

On a seperate note while testing the Blu-Ray player I fell asleep before the movie was over. Needless to say the movie menu was up for about 2-3 hrs with a static mune bar. I immediately went to the "white field" and there was the image of the bar. I put the "Scrolling Bars" up for about an hour or so and no more IR. I would assume that I have surpassed or "100 hr break-in period" or am damn close to it. Needless to say my worries are pretty much gone now and I have started to use the TV as a TV and just run the Scrolling Bars after playing Xox for awhile or watching a 2:35 movie on my Vudu. I just set the sleep time for an hour or so and let it run when I got to bed.

Hope some of this info helps.
post #75 of 86 Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

This maybe a silly question but how are you navigating the Menu? Are you spinning the menu wheel or are you clicking left/right/up/down. The wheel works both ways. I noticed when I was spinning the wheel it was not as responsive as I would like as it took a full revolution to equal on directional click.

I have also heard some mention of Samsung having slow remote commands. I have not experienced this or have had any issues with delays in the meuns and I have been using them quite frequently over the past week and a half.

Thanks for your comments Xavier. Im actually using the left/right/up/down. I noticed that when I access the menu with HDMI content running, there is menu lag. If I stop the HDMI source (turn off comcast DVR), there is no menu lag.
Also, would you mind posting your calibration settings? Im getting near the 100-hour mark and would like a baseline setting for calibration. Thanks!
post #76 of 86 Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your comments Xavier. Im actually using the left/right/up/down. I noticed that when I access the menu with HDMI content running, there is menu lag. If I stop the HDMI source (turn off comcast DVR), there is no menu lag.
Also, would you mind posting your calibration settings? Im getting near the 100-hour mark and would like a baseline setting for calibration. Thanks!

Quote:

I am not sure about the menu issue. I am watching my Comcast DVR right now playing back Monday Night Raw from the DVR and I'm not experiencing any delays. I tied it when watching a live HD channel and still no issue. Takes less than a second for the Menu to come up and the same when scrolling down. Which model do you have? I have the 50". I wonder if that could be a factor in the different experiences. I am also running the DVR through my Integra DTR-7.8 receiver. I will try running direct to the TV and see what happens later. Also my DVR is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.

I used the ISF calibration DVD and set a day and night mode using Movie for my night setting and Standard for my daytime setting. I The following is for my main Input from my receiver that handles my DVR, Vudu, and Blu-ray player. I played the disk back on a Samsung BD-P3600 I was testing.

Movie Mode (Night)
This was brighter when I calibrated but the colors really popped when I went a bit darker. Still fine tuning as I watch different kinds of content. I calibrated this setting with all lights off at night.
Cell Light: 5
Contrast: 60
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 25
Color: 56

Detailed Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
White Balance: Default
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On (I like the way the edges pop. You can actually turn Sharpness all the way down and just turn this on.)
xvYCC: On

Picture Options
Color Tone: Cool 2
Size: 16:9 (I used to use Just Scan but the pixel orbiter does not work in that mode)
Digital NR: Auto (I have noticed when there is a lighting effect like a strobe light I get a bit of noise.)
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Advanced Film Mode: Off (Played with this a bit and did not notice nay real benefits.)
Blue Mode: Off (Duh)
Pixel Shift: ON
Hz Dot: 2
Vt Dot: 4
Time: 2 min

Standard Mode (Day)
This setting is the same as above but with the following changes.

Contrast: 70
Brightness:53
Sharpness: 20
Color: 40

It is definitely worth calibrating each input as my Xbox 360 which is running 1080p through component was a bit different. I was also able to use the screen position feature under Just Scan to adjust my screen to see 100% of the image. It was previously off to the lower right by a percent or two.

I would love to hear the setting combination you come up with. I am still trying to find that contrast ratio that is just right. Also any experiences you have with the Picture Options and Detailed Settings would be great as I am still trying to determine if and when any become useful.

Sorry if I seem a bit long winded at times. Just trying to give as much information as possible. Look forward to hearing your settings when you get them dialed in. When I get the full ISF calibration/certification done in the next few weeks I will let you know. I should have some good information on setting the white and colors to be accurate as we will be using our shops Sencore gear.
post #77 of 86 Old 04-19-2009, 01:05 AM

Has anyone figured out how to play mkv files via the USB port of this set yet? If so, how?
Thanks!
post #78 of 86 Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmeth View Post

Has anyone figured out how to play mkv files via the USB port of this set yet? If so, how?
Thanks!

MKV files are not supported.
The manual calls out the following as being supported.

File / Decoder

avi : Xvid, H.264 MP, MPEG4 SP, MPEG4 ASP, MJPEG
mp4 : H.264 BP, H.264 MP
mpg: MPEG2
vro: MPEG2
vob: MPEG2

I have been having ongoing issues with getting my avi files to successfully play. If anyone has been successful with this feature please let me know. Perhaps you could help me out with some of my issues. Thanks.
post #79 of 86 Old 04-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Got a 50'' a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed. I'm not worrying too much about breaking it in. Just being careful not leave any static images on screen.
I was able to play some of my .avi files, but not all. I was successfull with .avi files with the mpeg4 video codec.
Anybody have problem running 480p signals from the Wii using component cables? When I have the Wii set to output 480p i get a rolling screen. This is weird because I didn't have any problems with my old crt set. 480i signal from Wii looks fine however. Thanks for posting your settings Xavier. Great to be part of the forum!!
post #80 of 86 Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Anybody regret buying this set? Looking at purchasing this.
post #81 of 86 Old 05-19-2009, 05:31 PM

I've had my set for about a month. Not disappointed at all, especially not at the price I paid through Costco. The blacks could be a little deeper and I see a hint of pink tint on the ice during hockey games. Those are very slight weaknesses. Everything else is great. I've performed a basic calibration and the set looks great. After I add a couple hundred hours to it will do a full blown calibration. But I will not go into the service menu. That just scares me....

Bob.
post #82 of 86 Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM

the one costco has for sale is the A550. Difference?
post #83 of 86 Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tom View Post

the one costco has for sale is the A550. Difference?

I purchased the 50". To compare the technical specs of both sets, go to the Samsung web sight. My observation of the A550s and the A650s was the pink coating was not as consistent as the A760s. They appeared as vertical pink and white stripes. The A760s still had the pink tint, but it was smoother and not as heavy. No stripes. The A760 also has 4 hdmi inputs opposed to the other sets having 3 hdmi inputs. Detail and blacks were about the same.

Keep in mind your picture will improve with age. Plasmas really begin to look their best after they've had about 500 to 750 hours on them. That is when I will perform my calibration. I have about 250 hours on it now.

Bob.
post #84 of 86 Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 AM

Decided to calibrate the TV this weekend. PS3 is the source connected directly to the TV through HDMI. EyeOneLT is the meter and ColorHCFR is the software. The TV is used primarily in the evening. Number of hours is about 275.

The end results are 27.956 fl.
Black level measurment is 0.028
Contrast ratio: 998:1
Average gamma: 2.25

Mode: Cinema
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 58
Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 0
Color: 41
Tint(G/R): G 50 / R 50

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: 0

Color Space: Custom
Red:
Red: 50
Green: 0
Blue: 0
Green:
Red: 30
Green: 35
Blue: 0
Blue:
Red: 26
Blue: 100
Yellow:
Red: 45
Green: 55
Blue: 10
Cyan:
Green: 52
Blue: 51
Magenta:
Blue: 55

White Balance:
Red Offset: 26
Green Offset: 25
Blue Offset: 26
Red Gain:41
Green Gain: 25
Blue Gain: 26

Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
XvYCC: Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
DNIe: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Advanced Film Mode: Off
Blue Only: Off
Advanced Burn In Protection:
post #85 of 86 Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 AM

I've had my PN58A760 for just over 2 years and I'm still amazed at how good the picture looks!

I had the display calibrated by UMR which really sharpened up the quality of the picture. This is my secondary display (basement H/T) and I primarily watch blu-rays from my OPPO BDP-83 on it. After Jeff's calibration, this combination puts out an awesome PQ!

While not quite as good as my Pioneer PRO-150FD in the family room, this display is no slouch when properly calibrated.

I've attached my calibration report for reference.

Samsung and Integra Calibration Report.pdf 373.3916015625k . file
post #86 of 86 Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAX279 View Post

I had the display calibrated by UMR which really sharpened up the quality of the picture.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page