Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

I would never tell anyone to violate their local building codes, but after 12 years in my profession, I can't imagine why some things are regulated like they are and others are not. I've seen a number of houses burn down over the years due to these things being maxed out in a number of different applications, yet you can use them all you want.

Never seen one of the good ones fail though. I've also never seen a case of a fire because there was a power cable that disappeared into a noninsulated wall for 3' before re-emerging to be plugged in. Of course, because there is no such thing as common sense, I guess you have to be able to keep people from running 100' undersized power cables in their insulated walls and through their attics.

I thought the same thing, but ended up using this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

My main concern was with insurance and inspection when I sell the house down the road. Not really a practical reason to do it that I can figure. In fact by adding 4 connection points it is probably a bit less safe in reality. But it was pretty simple and inexpensive.

The Monoprice solution worked OK but I did break a tab and the bottom plate is upside down when mounted so the electrical and low voltage don't cross. I ended up cutting off most of the "hood" to make running the low voltage easier. I also had quite a bit of trouble finding a cord that fit into the recessed outlet on the bottom plate but was still shallow enough to allow my console to sit close to the wall. The included one sticks out over 2" which can be a problem if your furniture below it has a solid back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I considered one of those but ultimately decided against it because I have all my components plugged into a power conditioner. Also I want to clarify that I didn't rig a power receptical inside my wall that the TV power cable plugs into. I also want to stress that I did this in an uninsulated wall. I would have never have even considered doing what I did in an insulated wall. My power cable drops into the wall behind the TV and then about 3'-4' below comes out one of these before being plugged into the power conditioner.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Again I want to stress the point that I'm not encouraging people to disregard their local building codes. This is a decision I made for my personal system in my own home with only my own set of circumstances and considerations in mind.

Steve

post #63 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I considered one of those but ultimately decided against it because I have all my components plugged into a power conditioner. Also I want to clarify that I didn't rig a power receptical inside my wall that the TV power cable plugs into. I also want to stress that I did this in an uninsulated wall. I would have never have even considered doing what I did in an insulated wall. My power cable drops into the wall behind the TV and then about 3'-4' below comes out one of these before being plugged into the power conditioner.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Again I want to stress the point that I'm not encouraging people to disregard their local building codes. This is a decision I made for my personal system in my own home with only my own set of circumstances and considerations in mind.

What you did seems like a good solution to me and I agree with your post earlier about common sense. What you did is much different than yanking a mangled 100' long extension cord through an insulated wall with no idea of what else may be in the wall.

A 3 foot drop down an uninsulated wall with no impediments in the way isn't going to cause any problems.
post #64 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I considered one of those but ultimately decided against it because I have all my components plugged into a power conditioner.

I understand what you are saying about not advising against building code, but I'm curious about one thing: What makes the romex safer than the TV cord when a power conditioner is not used? The TV cord seems to be a thicker gauge and better insulated, the main difference being one is stranded and one is solid.
post #65 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmn View Post

I understand what you are saying about not advising against building code, but I'm curious about one thing: What makes the romex safer than the TV cord when a power conditioner is not used? The TV cord seems to be a thicker gauge and better insulated, the main difference being one is stranded and one is solid.

I honestly don't know. I do understand the reasoning behind the codes though. You don't want people running undersized, and too-long power cords in their walls (as eddie mentions above). For example, cords like the ones below are not meant for permanent use, and can overheat and start a fire if not used properly.

I'm not at all worried about what I did in my own situation, but it's probably not a safe option for everybody out there.

Steve

post #66 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 AM

I should clarify that I didn't mean to imply the romex is safer in this situation. Since it is code it is just assumed I guess.

I do think it's more important that people understand that the code exists and the reasons behind it rather than what the absolute safest way to do it is.

Again, the main reason I used the Monoprice solution was because of insurance. People have argued whether or not that's an issue, but I'm pretty sure if I would have called my insurer and asked it probably would have been.

I wasn't concerned for safety, but about "what if" coverage scenarios. Probably a bit paranoid, but it wasn't a big deal to put it in either.
post #67 of 359 Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmn View Post

I should clarify that I didn't mean to imply the romex is safer in this situation. Since it is code it is just assumed I guess.

I do think it's more important that people understand that the code exists and the reasons behind it rather than what the absolute safest way to do it is.

Again, the main reason I used the Monoprice solution was because of insurance. People have argued whether or not that's an issue, but I'm pretty sure if I would have called my insurer and asked it probably would have been.

I wasn't concerned for safety, but about "what if" coverage scenarios. Probably a bit paranoid, but it wasn't a big deal to put it in either.

Fortunately, insurance usually covers you, even against your own stupidity. This not a dig against you, but a general statement that applies to everyone, including me.

Steve

post #68 of 359 Old 12-03-2008, 09:02 AM

has anyone actually hung a 58" Pannasonic on the extending mount from Monoprice?
Linky

I will have it for access only and it will stay retracted 99% of the time. Just a bit concerned because I have not seen where someone actually mounted a TV this heavy on it.

XBL Gamertag : iChip
post #69 of 359 Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

bump

XBL Gamertag : iChip
post #70 of 359 Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Hammondc,

I've got this exact wall-mount ready to put up Friday when my TH58PZ800U is to be delivered. I've reinforced the mounting area and will be using 4 and 1/2 inch lag screws instead of the 3 inch ones with the kit. Other than that I'm impressed with the mount out of the box and have high hopes it'll work great. I'll let you know if I get any sag or run into issues.
post #71 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrovirus View Post

Hammondc,

I've got this exact wall-mount ready to put up Friday when my TH58PZ800U is to be delivered. I've reinforced the mounting area and will be using 4 and 1/2 inch lag screws instead of the 3 inch ones with the kit. Other than that I'm impressed with the mount out of the box and have high hopes it'll work great. I'll let you know if I get any sag or run into issues.

Same here, picked up longer lag bolts and bigger washers. I drilled a extra hole for another lag bolt right in the middle of the other two, make sure you predrilled the studs first. Been hang'n for five days no problem.
post #72 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Liked: 11
Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but I looked at the monoprice mounts and no doubt they are the cheapest out there. I asked myself why and how the price is so far off the big name brands and called Sanus to ask why there is such a difference of price. Sanus asked me to call the manufacturer [monoprice] and verify if they have their wall mounts compliance tested. [UL CSA ETL], ect.....

NOPE, the monoprice mounts have not been tested by any of the independant testing companies. How do they know for sure the weight ratings. I asked if they test all the mounts for the stated weight ratings and if I could review them. monoprice didn't have the right answers for me to buy their lower priced mounts. I spent $2000+ for my TV, saving $100 didn't make sense.

That's not to say the monoprice mounts aren't good, just why they are so cheap and something to consider when you are putting a heavy TV on the wall. I went with the sanus mount myself, yes it cost me over $100.00 but I'm secure knowing it's tested and safe.

just my .10$ worth of advise. I didn't post to get slammed by all the monoprice people, [I bought my HDMI cables from them!] I'm not going to argue what is better, just a fact I found.

Merry Christmas everyone!
vivatech likes this.
post #73 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Yah im a bit concerned with such extremely low prices with monoprice. yes i know price does not equal quality, but it has me worried like avnuttyguy.

i mean $30 for a wall mount? thats so tempting.
post #74 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnuttyguy View Post

Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here, but I looked at the monoprice mounts and no doubt they are the cheapest out there. I asked myself why and how the price is so far off the big name brands and called Sanus to ask why there is such a difference of price. Sanus asked me to call the manufacturer [monoprice] and verify if they have their wall mounts compliance tested. [UL CSA ETL], ect.....

NOPE, the monoprice mounts have not been tested by any of the independant testing companies. How do they know for sure the weight ratings. I asked if they test all the mounts for the stated weight ratings and if I could review them. monoprice didn't have the right answers for me to buy their lower priced mounts. I spent $2000+ for my TV, saving $100 didn't make sense.

That's not to say the monoprice mounts aren't good, just why they are so cheap and something to consider when you are putting a heavy TV on the wall. I went with the sanus mount myself, yes it cost me over $100.00 but I'm secure knowing it's tested and safe.

just my .10$ worth of advise. I didn't post to get slammed by all the monoprice people, [I bought my HDMI cables from them!] I'm not going to argue what is better, just a fact I found.

I'm using both the Omnimount UCL-X (arguably one of the best, and most expensive mounts out there), and the $29 monoprice mount in the bedroom. As with most of their products, I would not hesitate to have any monoprice in my system thus far.....their HDMI cables, component cables, and now mounts, have surpassed any bang vs buck algorithm out there.

I am secure enough to have a Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma on it.
post #75 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 PM

I hung my 58" Panny from the monoprice 3725 mount yesterday. Again, I used 4 1/2" lag screws and mounted into 6x6 reinforced framing. I experienced no initial sag and not even a "creak" when hanging the television. I've had the mount extended, swiveled, and tilted several times while getting everything plugged in and lined up. There is no way that this mount will fail in its current configuration thru normal use. The only downside is that extending a 58" plasma by hand is not easy as the articulating points are extremely stiff (as they should be to avoid the television "floating" out from the wall) and takes some muscle, or two people, to move easily. Aside from the reasonable price point, I would still recommend this model to hang a TH-58PZ800U.
post #76 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 PM

I have the 3610 low profile i'm using with my panny 50pz85u and its a great value.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #77 of 359 Old 12-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Don't worry, no one here will mind if you want to spend $200 on an HDMI cable either ...
post #78 of 359 Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatsnameis View Post

Don't worry, no one here will mind if you want to spend $200 on an HDMI cable either ...

MEOW!!! HISS HISS...
See, I knew it wouldn't take long for the "monoprice" people to come at me.

Seems to me this post is more of an "advertisment" for monoprice!

Actually you didn't read my post very well, I DID buy my HDMI cable from MP, and yes, saved allot of money over BB or CC, I'm not stuipd!

The reason for my post was NOT to put down the MP mount, just BUYER BEWARE! They, monoprice mounts, have not been UL or agency tested.
That is a BIGGIE as a consumer, even though it works fine now, what type of metals were used at what temps/hardening ect...
Will the metals fail after time and stress? Metals do fail and become brittle, but not if the correct materials and tempering is done.
How long have these mounts been on the market?
UL has specific levels of materials and how a product is made to make certain it is safe for the appplication intended.
All I'm suggesting is, look at all the major mount mfg.'s, they all have UL CSA listing/certifications! For a reason too, to make it SAFE and avoid lawsuits from failed products.

It's more expensive to take a product through testing, tens-of-thousands of dollars. MP may have elected not to spend the $$,$$$.$$ to verify the level of performance and safety of materials and methods of making them, so they can be so under priced. As a consumer and the OP asking about them, it should be important to note what your getting and how it was not tested by any recognized testing used for millions of products in the world.
Call monoprice and see what they say, maybe they have better answers for you to feel comfortable for the long run of their mount. Maybe they are made to the exact same standards as the "big" name brands.

As to HDMI cables; they are apparently not REQUIRED to have UL, so no problem as a consumer trusting duribility and safety performance they either work or don't, no biggie.

Go monoprice! great company for bargins and saving money on products we all need as AV nuts. There, I plugged monoprice, I did buy my HDMI cable from them, and it works just fine.

Merry Christmas
post #79 of 359 Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM

Heh just havin a little fun with ya. All teh points you make are certainly logical and require some consideration for anyone purchasing a mount. I agree that it would provide more peace of mind to have a mount that had been tested and certified by an independent body.

OTOH, do the other mount manufacturers provide liability coverage in the event that their mount fails (and is it straightforward to claim)? It's nice to have a "Certified" mount but if it fails and you just end up with a broken but still certified mount, I'm not sure whether that would make me feel any better. Of course the certification process would likely mean that the incidence of failure might be lower.

I guess in the end, I have more trust in MP that they are continuing to source quality product from OEMs who supply the big guys and that these products are made to the same or similar standards. That may be misguided of course. I've put up two plasmas with mounts from MP. A 50" Norcent on a 3900 (hey the kids have to watch TV too and they don't seem to care about the IR from SD content ) and a Panny 58" 850 on a 3725. That's the heaviest duty tilt and swivel mount they make. Ordinarily I would not consider an articulating arm mount as leverage can't help but make them weaker than a fixed mount but I had to squeeze this screen into a very tight space and there was just no way I could have used a fixed mount. Just hung it today and I was very impressed with the build quality and weight (FWIW). There is some play with the screen about 8" from the wall but that is to be expected. The 3900 is absolutely rock solid as I would expect a fixed mount to be. Monday my 111FD arrives and it will be mounted on a low profile 3610.

My personal feeling is that the quality/prep of the wall and mounting fasteners is more likely to play a role in any mounts that come off the wall. My Pio is going on a wall that had doubled studs and ply reinforcement before the drywall went up. Switching the MP lags for stainless steel will cost me almost as much as the mount but I think that will give me more peace of mind than knowing whether the mount itself was certified. Given a choice in a comparable price range I would choose a certified mount but it is not worth 10-20x the price to me. JMHO.

Merry Christmas
post #80 of 359 Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I have a 58 Panasonic plasma that's been up since Dec of last yr w/ a monoprice 3004 bracket and it's still there w/o a problem. Just to be safe after I put it up, I left a level indicator on top of TV for couple months and the level never moved.

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
post #81 of 359 Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 AM

I have had my 58 inch Panasonic 800U on a MP 3004 tilt mount for about 30 days now and it is as solid as the day I put it up. The set is still level and hasn't moved at all. It is a little unnerving to hang a $3,000 TV on a $30 mount, but so far so good. BTW the mount is on an interior 2 x 6 wall with OSB shear reinforcement. I secured the mount to 3 studs using the wide mount with included hardware and drilled holes in the middle of the mount wall plate for the center stud.
post #82 of 359 Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM

I obviously have struck a cord with all the "pro-monoprice" folks. Sorry, not trying to make enemies, just making a fact noted.

Again, I'm NOT saying the MP mounts are bad or will fall off walls or become out-of-alignment. Any improperly installed mount could do any of those things.

All the issues mentioned are all installation related, not circumstances of materials and manufacturing quality.

Not having critical products tested certified to a industry standard for intended use, is just nothing short of a company not complying with safety standards for materials and methods of manufacturing to save money just to sell at a lower price.
Testing is just not the mount itself, but 4 times per year the product, the factory, packaging all are reviewed. The materials used, the hardware, the moving parts are all tested to make sure they don't fail and are made consistantly to the intended use standard.

Has anyone called MP and asked them about this as I did? Maybe I just was not talking to the right person.
However, I'm not going to take any risks for my family and my investments I have in my TV of a HIGHER possibility that a monoprice mount MIGHT FAIL down the road, due to material failure, NOT that it will become off-level, or FALL off the wall, that would be my fault for not installing it correctly.
Now, if the LAG BOLTS they include are not to spec, then again a POSSIBLE problem that could be dangerous. Sanus and Omnimount don't use just any stock bolt off the shelf I'm sure, because UL makes them use a specific bolt designed for the intended use.
Does anyone know FOR SURE the monoprice bolts, materials they use are to spec. for the intended use?

Come on people, these are made in ASIA,,, made cheap to sell cheap with probably the cheapest materials available, not unlike many products we all use, but if they are not being tested, then who knows what you're getting really.
Monoprice obviously has the lead in lowest price, and they can do that by finding the lowest cost of manufacturing in asia, nothing wrong with that, we can all save money buying things like wall plates and cables from them, because those things are not going to possibly cause any dangerous situation, but somethings like wall mounts hanging a 40-140 pound TV, are not worth taking a risk.

I'm happy to hear the mounts up a year later are still good, that's great and so far you saved $100! Good buy so far! To each their own, and all I'm saying is you usually get what you pay for, cheap, actually really cheap as with the monoprice mounts, may not always the best investment in the long run.

I'll take the insurance my Sanus mount is every bit as good, or MAYBE better made and if it falls off my wall it's my fault for not installing right.

Merry Christmas
post #83 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 AM

I recently bought a Panny 58PZ800 and a MonoPrice wall mount (ID:3725). Mounted it a couple of days ago and it works great. Unfortunately for me, there is a bit of wobble when I physically touch the display (i.e. if I press buttons or insert an SD card that will induce a bit of wobble). Otherwise, all is good. I used the standard lag bolts but I don't think that changing the lag bolts will make it wobble any less as it seems it has more to do with the sag of the aluminum bars and how they are attached to the mounting plate. Is there something I should do that might reduce the wobble? I'm not concerned that the display will fall of or anything but it is a little unnerving to have the TV wobble so much when one tries to press buttons.
post #84 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

I recently bought a Panny 58PZ800 and a MonoPrice wall mount (ID:3725). Mounted it a couple of days ago and it works great. Unfortunately for me, there is a bit of wobble when I physically touch the display (i.e. if I press buttons or insert an SD card that will induce a bit of wobble). Otherwise, all is good. I used the standard lag bolts but I don't think that changing the lag bolts will make it wobble any less as it seems it has more to do with the sag of the aluminum bars and how they are attached to the mounting plate. Is there something I should do that might reduce the wobble? I'm not concerned that the display will fall of or anything but it is a little unnerving to have the TV wobble so much when one tries to press buttons.

Did you check to see if any of your video or power cable are slightly pinched against the bracket and mount?
post #85 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 06:06 AM

This is a great solution for running power through the wall to the conditioner. It's from monoprice as well.

I ordered the same mount as you and it's great. No problems other than the washers being the wrong size. I had to notch them to fit them in the bracket. My TV is 42" and weighs 82lbs... untill I decide on what 50" I want
post #86 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Did you check to see if any of your video or power cable are slightly pinched against the bracket and mount?

Yup, I made sure that no cables are getting in the way. Both the HDMI Cable and the Power Cable connections are located below the brackets.
post #87 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

That's what I was alluding to in my post re: the 3750 and the 58" 850. With an articulating mount, I can't see how you could avoid at least some flex due to leverage.
post #88 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I obviously have struck a cord with all the "pro-monoprice" folks. Sorry, not trying to make enemies, just making a fact noted.

Well not really and I certainly wouldn't consider you an enemy, "Monoprice apologist" is not a line on my business card. You raise valid points although I think it would be informative if you could provide links so the rest of us could learn as much as you clearly have about the certification process, which companies use it, which don't etc. Also, you imply that Monoprice is the only company having mounts produced in Asia. That seems rather unlikely at best and perhaps a little jingoistic at worst ...
post #89 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:

That's what I was alluding to in my post re: the 3750 and the 58" 850. With an articulating mount, I can't see how you could avoid at least some flex due to leverage.

That I understand.. I mean it is a 131lb TV after all so there will likely be some wobble . It is just a little unnerving when it wobbles everytime you try and change settings by pressing the buttons.
post #90 of 359 Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

you imply that Monoprice is the only company having mounts produced in Asia. That seems rather unlikely at best and perhaps a little jingoistic at worst ...

if you look around the same Mounts MP sells for ~$30 are on sale for $79 and $119 and.....on and on....even the SAME part number is twice as much on other Sites.

Just GOOGLE "4174 mount"
and you get: Price: $100.00

unless you buy a brand name (sanus maybe) from a box store where you can put your greasy hands on it, you are just buying a "pig in a poke"

i ordered the 3900 for my 50, and from the above posts, i got a decent mount, but I may need to get better lag bolts from Home Depot (hey, how do i know which bolts are made in Asia....?)

this is a valid thread. for my 02 cents, i think if the 3900 feels flimsy to ME, i will go feel of a $150 mount at one of the box stores.

if i like that better, i will sell the MP mount on craigslist for $50.

YMMV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page