Do you think it's possible it can fit? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just bought a house, and the previous owners had a TV mounted over the fireplace. The installation was custom, you can see the setup here:

This isn't the main TV area for the house, so I just wanted to get something that looked decent and did the job. I ordered the Panasonic TH-50PX80U 50" plasma. Dimensions for the TV are 31.1'' x 47.6'' x 3.7''.

The problem is that I don't know how the back dimensions will work out in terms of where the mount gets attached. I'm trying to figure out whether this TV will actually be able to fit. At first I was concerned about the width, but the mounted area is 30" wide, which should be ok. Now I'm concerned about the height, mainly because there is a mantle about 7-7.5" from the bottom of the mount area. Here's the full dimensions for the mount area:

I think if the mount was directly in the center of the TV so that there was the same distance at the top and bottom, it would JUST clear. If the mount was slightly lower so there was more TV at the top of the mount, it would clear no problem. Alternatively, if there was a mount that could somehow adjust the TV height up, that would also relieve any potential issues (would be cool too, because then it would be floating over the mantle instead of looking like it's just sitting on it).

Do you guys think I can get the 50" to fit? Also, what kind of mount should I use? I have no idea what the previous owners had, and obviously can't be something flat because it needs to push the TV out of the mount area.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Btw, if a mod thinks this should be in a different forum, please move. I was going to post in the theater install forum, but wasn't sure.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedpit View Post

Do you think it's possible it can fit?

First, that's what she said.

Ok, sorry couldn't help myself. I do believe the panny will fit. You will obviously have to mount the wall mount as high up as you can. I helped a buddy install this mount:http://monoprice.com/products/produc...seq=1&format=2
It does a great job and is very sturdy if you want a fully articulating mount. My buddy and i had a very similar situation. The difference was he had a already built media/library shelf system built into the wall. The tv had about a 1/4" or less clearance from the shelves on the top and bottom of the set. With how the studs were oriented we had to cut out the drywall and outlets install cross supports to the studs and then we added 3/4" furniture grade plywood to the in between the shelves/media hole. Then we measured where the mount had to be in order to give the tv clearance and we got it. So it may take an afternoon and some precise measuring once you have the tv and mount but i am willing to bet you can do it and clear the mantel.
Good luck.

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page