Does your Samsung plasma suffer from horizontal line bleed? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Samsung Plasma have horizontal line bleed?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 245 Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont have that problem either. Sammy PN50A400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 245 Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Liked: 10
I looked for this problem when I got my PN50A650. I think someone said they saw something similar on Conan O'Brien ... a line running through a guest's face as a continuation of a railing that runs along the back of the show's set.

I do NOT see this happening on either my first PN50A650 or my replacement set.

I do see line bleed from things like menus (text and boxes) but I definitely don't see it on real content.
post #33 of 245 Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 AM

for anyone who cant see this, play super mario bros(the one that was for the nes) and you will be horrified. i downloaded it for my wii and it is unplayable do to this
post #34 of 245 Old 01-17-2009, 06:43 AM

This is brutal. I might have to go back to LCD...

I find myself looking for the problem everytime I watch tv. Now that I know it's there, it's very hard not to see it.
post #35 of 245 Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 AM

For anyone who says this is an across the board plasma thing, you are on crack.
I have never seen ANY tv with lines shooting across the screen when a green movie preview screen comes on (this movie preview is approved for all audiences... etc). It is specific to Samsung Plasma 550 and 650 models. I've had a tech out twice replaced the boards and I am demanding that either Samsung or Future shop reimburse me for this unnecessary inconvenience.
Also if you own these models and you say you either don't see this defect or that you only see it when you have the menu open..... you're blind. It's always there. I watch the office and whenever they are in front of the blinds talking, their faces are covered in black lines. On the xbox whenever there is a menu or words, and in blu rays, again where ever there is a straight edged object and a light coloured background. Everyone needs to contact samsung about this issue and hope they either release a firmware update to fix this, or have a recall.
post #36 of 245 Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearfield View Post

I have never seen ANY tv with lines shooting across the screen when a green movie preview screen comes on (this movie preview is approved for all audiences... etc). It is specific to Samsung Plasma 550 and 650 models. I've had a tech out twice replaced the boards and I am demanding that either Samsung or Future shop reimburse me for this unnecessary inconvenience.
Also if you own these models and you say you either don't see this defect or that you only see it when you have the menu open..... you're blind. It's always there. I watch the office and whenever they are in front of the blinds talking, their faces are covered in black lines. On the xbox whenever there is a menu or words, and in blu rays, again where ever there is a straight edged object and a light coloured background. Everyone needs to contact samsung about this issue and hope they either release a firmware update to fix this, or have a recall.

I'm afraid it's not specific to this display.

I have seen this on the LN52A650 I had for a month and I on both CRT RPTVs I had. I have seen it on the Panasonic 800u and on my PD58A650.

But I only see on certain menus and very little on content so I'm not to worried about it.
post #37 of 245 Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending on content, yes. Can be quite annoying and neither my inferior Panny nor superior kuro shows this.

But the vertical & horizontal banding is worse.
post #38 of 245 Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger View Post

I do NOT see this happening on either my first PN50A650 or my replacement set.

I do see line bleed from things like menus (text and boxes) but I definitely don't see it on real content.

same for my pn50a650

I've paused the scenes from The Office with the blinds behind and I don't get any horizontal bleed that is visible through other images (faces, etc.)
post #39 of 245 Old 02-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:

it's not always there, trust me I've glued myself to the screen looking for it. Only select images, and nothing that is visible through other images.
post #40 of 245 Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM

In my experience it is not inherent to the technology. I have a Samsung PS42Q7 which went in for repairs for a fault (not banding). They replaced the X and Y board but when the screen came back it had severe horizontal banding of the kind described in this thread (along with other new faults).

So it went back to the repairer. My understanding is they replaced the main board which didn't fix the faults, and then they replaced the panel itself.

Finally it was fixed and the banding was gone along with the other faults. So it no longer gets the banding. My newer Pioneer doesn't get the banding either.
post #41 of 245 Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Surprised they dont fix this with a firmware update.
post #42 of 245 Old 04-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

x2 I could not live with that.
post #43 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 04:25 AM

So the bleed at least on the menus existed on the PNA*50 plasmas. Can anyone with the new PNB*50 plasmas tell if this thing was completely eradicated or not (in artifical conditions like menus, real-picture experiences are too subjective)
post #44 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So this is not just a samsung defect.I have an 5 year old pioneer.Never seen it but actually havent looked.Thinking seriously of a samsung purchase so this thread was a bit of a shake up for me.

Matt
post #45 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

They can't, that's the thing. It is inherent in the set's design, something about the way the power is distributed to the screen or voltage variations with content. Some sets may show it more than others, and maybe there are even sets that don't do it at all (Runco, B&O?) but this is so frequently reported by owners of models by every manufacturer that I'm certain it's a technology/electrical design quirk, not a software or settings issue.

jeff
post #46 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 AM

I just set it up this last Saturday. Nice wall mount and THC HDMI cable. It has a beautiful picture....I was going to buy the Panny but the more I watched them, they were setting next to each other I bought the Sammy. I haven't tried anything special to protect it and I haven't had any problem with bleeding at all.

The unit at the beginning of this thread that displays the white marks down the right side of the screen I would say was caused from the use of a PC with a still picture. I've seen a lot of those and there all the same. Most will disappear however there are a few that don't. I hope for your sake that it will be like most.

Well so far I would say the Sammy PN50B450 is a great unit. I'm very satisfied with mine and would rate it right at the top with the picture and performance I'm receiving from mine.

Regards,

Jack
post #47 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM

It's not just a Samsung thing.
post #48 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This is normal. I wish it weren't, but it is. Only shows up in certain scenarios.
post #49 of 245 Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felks24 View Post

It's not just a Samsung thing.

Yes, I know Panasonics had this also, but I've also read here that Pioneers were pretty succesful at eliminating that issue, so it can be addressed (after all its obviously a shortcoming and can be very evident when plasma used as a PC monitor)
post #50 of 245 Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:

It's always there. I watch the office and whenever they are in front of the blinds talking, their faces are covered in black lines.

Unfortunately, I see the same thing with my Hitachi P50S602. The Office is a good show to test for this due to all of the horizontal window blinds in the background.
post #51 of 245 Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi, guys. I've had my 650 for about 3 weeks. No problems so far but I can't quite get my video settings to remain once I turn off the TV. When I turn it back on the TV is back to "dynamic", with all the changes I've made gone. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm sure its been covered before but I just don't feel like going through 68 pages of text. If someone could offer a link or website, I would be grateful. Thanks
post #52 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBC View Post

Unfortunately, I see the same thing with my Hitachi P50S602. The Office is a good show to test for this due to all of the horizontal window blinds in the background.

Right. I have it on my Pansonic TH-50PHD8UK.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
post #53 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myerardi View Post

Hi, guys. I've had my 650 for about 3 weeks. No problems so far but I can't quite get my video settings to remain once I turn off the TV. When I turn it back on the TV is back to "dynamic", with all the changes I've made gone. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm sure its been covered before but I just don't feel like going through 68 pages of text. If someone could offer a link or website, I would be grateful. Thanks

My Samsung TV picture settings keeps returning to the Dynamic mode

Your TV is probably set to Shop Mode. This is common when purchasing a store demo.

To check if your TV is in Shop Mode, press Info on your remote. If the picture mode says "Shop Mode", do the following:

* Press either the Up Volume or Down Volume control on the TV. The Volume bar will be displayed.
* Press and hold Menu on the TV until "Dynamic Mode" is displayed (about 7 seconds).
* Press Info on your remote and confirm picture mode says "Picture Mode: Dynamic".

Shop mode can also be enabled/disabled from the Setup Plug & Play menu and service menu.
post #54 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM

I have found that a good share of people with "line bleed" artifacts have a poorly(or not even at all)calibrated set which is literally in torch mode. When things like contrast(white detail),brightness(black detail) color are CORRECTLY set and all "enhancement" controls(dike dynamic contrast, edge enhancement etc.)are turned off, the problem literally dissappears, since the TV's voltage rails are not being literally overdriven and the TV in general draws significantly less power.
post #55 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I just hung my Samsung PN58B560 and have not noticed anything like this. Also none of my LCDs exhibit this problem or even my lone LED/LCD.

Infact, I just went and checked, and saw zip, zero, nada line bleed with menus, sports, HDTV or BD on my 58B560 plasma. The pq is crisp and very clear. I am leaning towards a household wiring issue or a ground loop hum with many of these affected sets. That was my first impression and I am sticking to it. I know firsthand how older or improperly installed wiring, and grounding, will really mess with electronics.
post #56 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I just hung my Samsung PN58B560 and have not noticed anything like this. Also none of my LCDs exhibit this problem or even my lone LED/LCD.

Infact, I just went and checked, and saw zip, zero, nada line bleed with menus, sports, HDTV or BD on my 58B560 plasma. The pq is crisp and very clear. I am leaning towards a household wiring issue or a ground loop hum with many of these affected sets. That was my first impression and I am sticking to it. I know firsthand how older or improperly installed wiring, and grounding, will really mess with electronics.

thats interesting cause i've seen very faint line bleeding on my 58B560. it's not a deal breaker but it's there sometimes.

Nearfield music: Laptop w/REW & Equalizer APO -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2

H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel

My last.fm profile

post #57 of 245 Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

thats interesting cause i've seen very faint line bleeding on my 58B560. it's not a deal breaker but it's there sometimes.

Not here, that is why I bought locally, just in case anything like this popped up.

Infact, the store I bought my set from had buggy electrical to say the least, and all of their sources looked to be running off of some very old coax. You could hang a Kuro next to a Phillips and you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in pq between the two.

It was an in house electrical problem that no one seemed to think much of. Even the sets hooked to a lone BD player exhibited "issues" with faint line bleeding and what looked like very faint ghosting. I don't see how they sold a set, but that is where I bought mine, couldn't beat the price.
post #58 of 245 Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I even tried it in Movie mode with contrast and brightness set very low. I also have all the edge enhancements off. I still have the problem.
I also tried "best practice" setting estimations posted by a pro calibrator.

I also tried using different outlets, 3 different surge protectors of different quality, using an UPS, and also the UPS on battery (no AC) to rule out house wiring.

In fact movie mode is worse than Vivid torch mode on my set.

I called Sumsung and a tech is coming out Today to look at voltage levels. These sets all come with a free warranty, if you have the problem open a ticket to get it looked at. One should not have to look at LINES THAT SHOULD NOT BE THERE for the money we are paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyBongHitsWee View Post

I have found that a good share of people with "line bleed" artifacts have a poorly(or not even at all)calibrated set which is literally in torch mode. When things like contrast(white detail),brightness(black detail) color are CORRECTLY set and all "enhancement" controls(dike dynamic contrast, edge enhancement etc.)are turned off, the problem literally dissappears, since the TV's voltage rails are not being literally overdriven and the TV in general draws significantly less power.

post #59 of 245 Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM

I have the same problem and when I contacted the Samsung Tech this is the reply I got:

"The problem that you see is normal operation on phosphor based display panels due to how each individual phosphor cell is charged/discharged individually.

Plasma displays operate on X/Y/Z coordinates, this phenomenon you see is called "cross over charge", where certain columns/rows are crossed with the area that is being charged differently than the current area (X/Y/Z addressing).
this phenomenon will be seen on any phosphor based plasma display panel.
"
post #60 of 245 Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Definitely not, I would flip if I had some video abnormality on my new tv. Although I have the B650, not the A650.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
60 Samsung Plasma 1080p 600hz Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page