Does your Samsung plasma suffer from horizontal line bleed? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Samsung Plasma have horizontal line bleed?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Id have to agree, I have a few plasmas and see subtle banding on all of them. Plasmas use a 'passive' matrix to address the pixels - there where 2 posts on page1 of this thread by members that describes why this happens (and is inherent of the technology).
My pn50B540 does it too, not as bad as your pix show.

Could it be defective? Possibly.

I did notice banding on my LCD was almost the same as my plasma when watching Digital cable. I also think its inherent of the broadcast as well. The TV might just be amplifying the effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 245 Old 01-19-2010, 01:40 PM

I just watched TV on my second Samsung PN58B860 and line bleed was extremely noticeable but I don't remember noticing it (especially to this extent) on the first one. My panel is being replaced in about a week for a different problem but I will watch for it again. While watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart he was moving his hands and I could see the horizontal dark band move with them. It could not be ignored.
post #93 of 245 Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM

I have a 42" Samsung HP-T4254x/xaa, i just replaced the power panel after six months of it sitting in my dining room had it for about 14 months before it just shut off. Now i have a similar line in the center L to R it appears single pixel line it stays constant and is very visible when dark colors are in the seen. I heard you can or need to adjust the va and vs to improve the picture. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
post #94 of 245 Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

I need to stop coming to this website! Ya'll are making me notice things I would have never seen had I been looking lol
post #95 of 245 Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 AM

I have this problem on my PN50B530. I did not have it when I first got it, but the panel was replaced due to a dead pixel and now I see the horizontal banding. I'm thinking of returning this back to Sears as I still have about 15 days left.
post #96 of 245 Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
I'm going to be buying a plasma in the next few weeks or months and I'm leaning towards Samsung, depending on the deals of course. The lines remind me of my Sylvania CRT tv, it has those same type of lines running past a horizontal line that was fairly intense but has an otherwise fantastic picture. I got used to it so if the plasma has that as well, it'll feel like the old days for me. So I'd say rather than it being a Plasma tv issue, it's more of a Phosphor issue since they both use phosphor as the means of delivering light to your eyes.

As a complete guess and a bit of rambling....with the crt I figured it was maybe caused by a bit of phosphor persistence and/or beam "leak". The persistence of phosphor is how long it takes for it to stop glowing after being excited by the beam sweeping across the CRT. In the CRT days, that would be called lag time. Maybe....when a very intense and thin area of phosphors are highly charged as the beam sweeps across the crt face, there may be some residual excitement of phosphors in the general area due to the beam not being able to shut off fast enough. Maybe the same idea for the plasma since a plasma is as close to CRT-like picture as it gets these days. Hmmm, except there is that lack of a beam of electrons accelerated by a 30Kv charge on a plasma tv....I think

Great forum btw, I'm glad I found it!
post #97 of 245 Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM

My PN58B860 (3 weeks old) has the subtle, omnipresent bands running across the screen when a light color is displayed. Not sure if it is a defect, but every 2009 Samsung plasma I examined at several local Best Buys displayed some variation of this issue. Several knowledgeable forum members believe it to be a defect - not sure if I will return. This is not the normal color banding referenced earlier in this post.
post #98 of 245 Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjmcd View Post

My PN58B860 (3 weeks old) has the subtle, omnipresent bands running across the screen when a light color is displayed. Not sure if it is a defect, but every 2009 Samsung plasma I examined at several local Best Buys displayed some variation of this issue. Several knowledgeable forum members believe it to be a defect - not sure if I will return. This is not the normal color banding referenced earlier in this post.

this seems to be inherent to Samsung plasmas. I replaced mine with a Panasonic, and there is no banding on the same film clips.
post #99 of 245 Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM

Liked: 11
Panasonics most definitely have horizontal line bleed. On some occasions I saw demos that ran those green movie preview screens and it looked even more blatant than on the Samsungs. I just looked at an S2 (2010 model) Panny and it had line bleed, but on my test pattern it was quite faint compared to what I saw on last year's models. Still need to do more testing, but it is encouraging that it looked much fainter.
post #100 of 245 Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM

I do notice the banding associated with text on the green preview screen at the beginning of a disc, but the banding I am referencing is always there regardless of material. It's most noticeable on scenes that depict sky or snow or other light backgrounds - all the 2009 Samsungs I have watched seem to display this type of permanent banding.

I continue to wonder why I see very little mention of this issue within the forums, but cannot find a 2009 Samsung plasma in a retail setting (Philadelphia area) that does not include these subtle, but obvious bands. I guess for most consumers this is an acceptable characteristic of Samsung plasmas.

Thanks again for the help.
post #101 of 245 Old 03-30-2010, 06:25 AM

I just bought the new pn58c550 . Thought I had some I/R . Two horizontal faint lines that where near the bottom of the screen . Didnt really effect the picture ,only visible on the beginnings of movies like shrek ,and kids movies. I then swapped the set out for a new one same model . This one has the same two on the bottom but less noticable , plus one about 3 in. down from the top. This time it is cutting through on some scenes ,and remaining yellow in color and can easily be viewed on peoples faces in the films. Wheres also a dead pixel on the side of the band. It really is a shame too cause the picture looks great, and the design looks great .But I dont even like to watch the tv anymore cause I am afraid I will see more lol. I really wanted a plasma , But I think the only way to avoid this is to switch to led/lcd. Is there any plasma brand out there that is known for not having dead pixels or banding issues? Any?Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 245 Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

I just got a pn58b550 on sale at Best Buy (gotta love no interest financing), and it has the line bleed issue. Spoke to Samsung, and they pointed me to a specific post on their site, which mentions dead pixels, line banding, etc. According to the article, once you've checked your source(s) to verify it's the tv, Samsung recommends filing a service ticket. I'd post the link, but I'm new here. Anyway, annother commenter mentioned Samsung saying line bleed is normal, but I was definitely told that it was not, and as the article mentions, it's likely a problem with the image buffer. Anyone having this issue on a Samsung plasma would probably do well by submitting a service request (assuming it's under warranty), though I'm considering just returning the set and finding a similar LCD in my price range. Quite frankly, while the picture on this set is quite good, I'm getting a little annoyed by how much "babying" plasma sets require. My last set (Samsung LCD ln40b550) didn't have a break-in period, no line bleeding, no image retention, etc. I guess in summary, it makes sense that plasma is on the way out.
post #103 of 245 Old 04-02-2010, 11:32 AM

I noticed an interesting thing last night. When I watched standard or HD movie trailers via my AppleTV I notice the banding against the green background however that same banding is not present if the trailer is being presented from a Blu-ray. Both are outputting 1080p signal and both are connected to the Sammy 63B590 via HDMI.

I wonder if the banding is dependant on the quality of the incoming signal (bit rate or bandwith) and how the TV's internal video processing handles it.
post #104 of 245 Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Samsung tech is scheduled to arrive this afternoon; will post and update with results after. If Samsung is right, then replacing said "buffer" will be the fix.
post #105 of 245 Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM

Alright: so the tech says he hasn't seen this issue before. He's going ahead with a panel replacement.

Again, I'm going to post the results once that happens, so that someone who isn't sure what to do can at least start here. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this...but I personally believe a new panel isn't going to cut it. We'll see.
post #106 of 245 Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdaikatanax View Post

Alright: so the tech says he hasn't seen this issue before. He's going ahead with a panel replacement.

Again, I'm going to post the results once that happens, so that someone who isn't sure what to do can at least start here. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this...but I personally believe a new panel isn't going to cut it. We'll see.

My panel was replaced after two other boards, and it made no difference. Mind you that was 18 months ago.
post #107 of 245 Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM

Yeah, I'm throwing in the towel. This set's buzz has grown worse, and coupled with the line bleed, I'm just done worrying about it. I feel like there's a $1500 device in my living room, that if I play with it at all, it's going to break itself. It's a real shame - Samsung is usually a great brand.

In summary: those with issues right out of the box are best returning the unit ASAP. It's clear that Samsung can't figure out these issues, and while their service policy is excellent (I can vouch for that), the TV is incapable of being repaired.
post #108 of 245 Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 AM

I was in Sears yesterday, and I was comparing the Samsung PN50C450 (720p) with two different Panasonics, the TC-P50S2 (1080p) and the TC-P46C2 (720p).

After accessing the televisions' menus, I managed to get a "middle of the road" setting on all of them, then I stepped back to my normal viewing distance. I noticed the bleeding issue on the TC-46C2 right away, but the TC-P50S2 didn't seem to suffer from it.

The Samsung's picture, however, was head and shoulders above even the 1080p S2, and it showed no bleed that I could see. I'm a bit leery of the buzzing issue, but I am so tempted to roll the dice.
post #109 of 245 Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Hey i have the samsun 63c7000 (i think you yanks call it the c8000 for some reason) and this line bleeding / banding is very apparent on my set especially when using htcp and going on internet explorer and moving windows around the desktop. this is absouloutley un acceptable from a set that cost 4k
post #110 of 245 Old 07-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Hi,

I have a similar bleeding issue. I use DVE blueray disk and in the colored blocks the nearby blocks get black lines at the top and bottom. This is especially obvious in the RGB Only mode when calibrating.

Thanks,
JOn
post #111 of 245 Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM

i have a pn50c550 and i notice it only on a white break-in slide. Would you call this normal?

Here's a picture
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/4098/1003889.jpg
post #112 of 245 Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Di7

Yes, it's normal.

I also have a c550. My first one has to replacement due to the noising buzz heard at 10 feet with volume tv at 30(!!), my second model, besides the buzz again, it had that lines but much more visible. Has to replacement another time. Now, I'm going in my third model. It have a dead pixel but it doesn't bother me cause i can't see it in normal circumstances. The buzz is lower than the others and I can see only a horizontal line in the bottom of the screen and only with white solid images. I can't see it with green/red/black/blue images.

I think I'm going to stay with this. The dead pixel doesn't annoying me because simply i can't see it, only when I'm pasted to the screen. The buzz, at 10 feet with sound disappears and without sound i almost don't hear it, so, i think if you like your model and can live with that problem, don't waste your time changing your tv to tv until you find the perfect one, cause you won't find it. :/

Big huge from Portugal!
post #113 of 245 Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM

horizontal line bleed is coming via component cable with high contrast and is forever on the screen.don't use component cable on samsung plasma
post #114 of 245 Old 08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Di7

How so? How components cable interferes on the horizontal line bleed? It makes no sense.
post #115 of 245 Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Line bleed is inherent to the technology. I think the Kuro's are the only plasmas that don't exhibit line bleed. For non-Kuro plasma owners to claim no line bleed on their sets I say they aren't looking closely enough. Not totally obvious as it should rarely pop up during normal viewing, I don't think anyone should be bothered by the line bleed exhibited during green screens of DVD/BD previews.
post #116 of 245 Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

Line bleed is inherent to the technology. I think the Kuro's are the only plasmas that don't exhibit line bleed. For non-Kuro plasma owners to claim no line bleed on their sets I say they aren't looking closely enough. Not totally obvious as it should rarely pop up during normal viewing, I don't think anyone should be bothered by the line bleed exhibited during green screens of DVD/BD previews.

I think even Kuros will show some very minor line bleed. You will not get the LCD advantage here. With the vt25s the line bleed is mostly tolerable and few and far between. But it does show up every now and then in calibration test patterns, green preview screen, Larry King's head (Documaker was right)., etc. etc.
post #117 of 245 Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My KURO most definitely displays the line bleed artifact. It happens mainly on ending credits and CGI animation films.
post #118 of 245 Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM

I just returned my Pn63c8000 back to BB due to this "line Bleed" problem. I was 72 days into my "45" day warranty and they swapped it out no questions asked.
post #119 of 245 Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080P_Luvr View Post

I just returned my Pn63c8000 back to BB due to this "line Bleed" problem. I was 72 days into my "45" day warranty and they swapped it out no questions asked.

What did you get in exchange? Oh wait.....lemme guess, a VT25? Bingo!!! How bad is the line bleed in the c8000 compared to what you have now??
post #120 of 245 Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

What did you get in exchange? Oh wait.....lemme guess, a VT25? Bingo!!! How bad is the line bleed in the c8000 compared to what you have now??

i swapped it for the same unit. They didnt have any in stock so they will deliver an install on the 18th.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
60 Samsung Plasma 1080p 600hz Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page