Does your Samsung plasma suffer from horizontal line bleed? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Samsung Plasma have horizontal line bleed?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am trying to determine if the horizontal line bleed (see attached photo) exhibited on my Samsung Plasma is normal or a defect.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it always there on all inputs?
If they are then the problem may be with your set.

Do the bars scroll up the screen slowly?
If they do they are hum bars. Somewhere in the signal chain there is a ground loop.

post #3 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it's there on all inputs, and as you can see in the pictures, it follows the ropes through the fighter. with the right background, it is also visible from the sets menus. If you look at a movies green rating screen, the box at the bottom will bleed to the sides.
post #4 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

I am trying to determine if the horizontal line bleed (see attached photo) exhibited on my Samsung Plasma is normal or a defect.

Which model do you have?

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
Videotron - Illico HD terminal
post #5 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

PN58a650, I've seen it on the 550 series in the store.
post #6 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PN58a650, I've seen it on the 550 series in the store.

How long have you had your TV?

You may need to shield your power cord by adding those magnetic cord shields, it should have come included with your plasma. If you already have it installed on your power cord, try moving it around just a little. It may solve the problem.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #7 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM

wow, thats terrible. i would think that has to be a defect
post #8 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have tried with and with out, I have also tried plugging direct into the wall bypassing my Belkin PF60. The bleed continues.
post #9 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

As I mentioned in anther thread, I've seen it but only when I bring up the menu and choose "source list" to select the TV source. There, you'll see the very bright selected menu item, and right beside it, if your TV is showing a light colored object like a human face, you'll see a darkened area on the face in the same vertical level as the selected menu item area. However, I've never seen anything like that in normal viewing, or even in other menu options. It's not serious enough for me to notice before vega509 mentioned it, and even then I had to take clues from the discussion here to find out which menu option to use to see it.
post #10 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have tried with and with out, I have also tried plugging direct into the wall bypassing my Belkin PF60. The bleed continues.

If this is something you've been seeing from day one, I would either return the set or call a technician to come in and look at it.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #11 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

If this is something you've been seeing from day one, I would either return the set or call a technician to come in and look at it.

I believed he returned it already, or even multiple times, but every time he sees the same problem?
post #12 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKel View Post

I believed he returned it already, or even multiple times, but every time he sees the same problem?

this is the 2nd set in my home. I also see it on the 4 at BB, both the 550's and the 650's. Samsung says this should not happen, but when I see it on 6 for 6 sets, I tend to think this may be inherent in Samsung plasmas.
post #13 of 245 Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Funny you show those screens because I noticed it on my 32" Samsung LCD (sorry cannot remember the model) that I've had for about 3 years now.

Mine are vertical lines and only noticable while watching something like hockey (because of the lighter background). Though I do see it on program types, it is much more difficult. I really have to concentrate to see them so I wouldn't consider them a huge issue for me.
post #14 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAXIN View Post

taken from the Samsung website:

Q. There Are Vertical Lines Running Through The Picture On My Plasma TV.

A. If you see white or colored vertical lines running through the picture of your Plasma TV, your TV needs to be serviced.

Samsung PN50A450
Samsung Blu Ray
Panasonic HT SCPT960K
post #15 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
There are a ton of threads on this topic - it is not only common on all plasmas but in fact a quirk of the technology. I see it on my Panasonic when there's a long horizontal thing on the screen - usually menus or graphics. Now, where's a Pioneer owner to tell me it doesn't happen on those?

I've read lots of the threads and don't fully understand why it happens, but here's a little speculation. You notice in those pics that the areas to the sides of that bright white rope are darker than the rest. There must be something in the way the image is generated that causes a localized, horizontal version of what the "automatic brightness limiter" circuit does for the screen as a whole. ABL is why the whites of a full white screen (say a snowy mountain) aren't as bright as the whites on a mostly dark image (stars in the sky). Is there an ABL-like "feature" that acts on each horizontal line of pixels? Anybody?

jeff
post #16 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vega are the pics of your TV?
post #17 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 01:25 PM

I believe what greenjp says is correct. But rather than an ABL-like feature, I believe it is because a voltage is applied across each row of pixels. Where the white line is, there is a relatively large voltage drop. This means that there is a relatively smaller voltage drop over the darker pixels. Thus they appear even darker than they would normally be.
post #18 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by regnad_kcin View Post

I believe what greenjp says is correct. But rather than an ABL-like feature, I believe it is because a voltage is applied across each row of pixels. Where the white line is, there is a relatively large voltage drop. This means that there is a relatively smaller voltage drop over the darker pixels. Thus they appear even darker than they would normally be.

Plasma works off of a matrix that supplies voltage to the anode/cathode in each cell. I am not sure about the constuction details, but what you are saying sounds right.

The Kuros do have this issue as well, but to a lesser extent, better electronics helps and this is what you buy a high end Kuro for.

Despite all of the flaws that an LCD has, I would take those anyday over what I see in those pics.
post #19 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Plasma works off of a matrix that supplies voltage to the anode/cathode in each cell. I am not sure about the constuction details, but what you are saying sounds right.

The Kuros do have this issue as well, but to a lesser extent, better electronics helps and this is what you buy a high end Kuro for.

Despite all of the flaws that an LCD has, I would take those anyday over what I see in those pics.

Fortunately, what you see in those pics are not typical of an average plasma.
post #20 of 245 Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^ True but the kuro defense forces seem to turn everything into some kuro worship thing
I guess the "better electronics" still can't defeat buzzing and blotching
post #21 of 245 Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM