Pixel orbiting or wobbling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Panasonic 42PX80U and have the "pixel orbiter" (or whatever they call it) set to "automatic". Ok, so whats its purpose? I've read that the orbiter (or wobbler) is supposed to ever-so-slightly move fixed objects on the screen so as to help prevent burn-in. But then I've read that the orbiting is enough to be noticable, and in some cases, even annoying. Welp, we're beyond the 100-hour mark on our new TV and I'll be damned if ever seen anything "orbit or wobble". Stock tickers, black bars, network logos, doesn't matter-- I never see anything move, shift, orbit, wobble, vibrate, oscillate, or anything else. Am I supposed to see something happening? Is the movement too miniscule or too fast to notice? Do I have something set wrong? Or do I simply not understand what its supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 03:46 AM

Liked: 11
depends what the HDsize is set to i think. with hdsize set to 1 (zoomed slightly) and the orbitor set to forced 1 i can see it doing its thing if im looking for it.

having the tv set to 1:1 pixel mapping(HDsize2) disables the orbitor i believe.
if you leave it on automatic the orbitor only shifts the screens when the signal changes, or say when the screen goes black and goes to commercial.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

So whats the best setting? Automatic or forced? I'm not sure what all that "pixel mapping" and "HDsize" stuff is.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Unless the orbiter 'bothers' you there is no need to turn it off or adjust the settings. And it is noticed or bothered by very few people, so don't worry about it at all.

Your orbiter is working fine - you are not supposed to see it. The changes are minscule. If you want to go looking for it, stare at a high contrast non-moving object for a while, and you may see an ever-so-slight shift of the screen. But really, its not important.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 PM

I am confused on the HD Size. The default is set to 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to leaving the setting at 1 as opposed to changing it to 2? Most of what I watch is input to the TV at 1080i

Justin

Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50-GT30
Panasonic 58" Plasma TC-P58V10
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BDT 210 and 110
Marantz SR6006 (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers

post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinto View Post

I am confused on the HD Size. The default is set to 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to leaving the setting at 1 as opposed to changing it to 2? Most of what I watch is input to the TV at 1080i

Size 1 gives you a few percent more overscan, which comes in really handy to hide the occasional flickering data strip that appears along the top of some 4:3 non-HD broadcasts and some 4:3 commercials on the digital "HD" channels. FOX and NBC show this data strip a lot and it's irritating.

Size 2 slightly shrinks the picture to actual size so if you never get that pesky data strip issue on whatever you typically watch. It doesn't matter what resolution you send the TV - the data strip will still show no matter what with Size 2.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 AM

Thank you for the response.

Justin

Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50-GT30
Panasonic 58" Plasma TC-P58V10
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BDT 210 and 110
Marantz SR6006 (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers