PX80 vs PZ80 vs PZ85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I'm a newcomer to the world of large flat panel screens. At first I was determined I should going LCD, with either Samsung or Panasonic at the top of my list. But the more I look at these in various store displays and especially when being fed good BD content, the more I am inclined towards the natural film like look of PLASMA.

The Panasonic Viera line seems to offer great value and I am narrowing my choice to either the PX80, PZ80 or PZ85. I a getting the smallest plasma available, the 42".

Is the $400 price difference between the PX80 and PZ85 worth it?
At an approximately 6-8 ft viewing distance, will I appreciate the extra 1080p that the 85 offers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

I'd wait for a good deal and buy the 85.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 AM

i just spent 3 weeks making the same decision....i ended up with the 42px80u last night after finding a smoking deal

heres what helped me decide, i dont know if all of these statements are accurate but it came from reading this forum

at a viewing distance of 8ft the difference from 1080 to 720 is impossible to see

if you are not using blu-ray or HD video games there is no benefit to a 1080p panel

standard definition tv will look better on a 720p set since there is less scaling to bring the signal to the native resolution of the panel

all of those things plus a $300 difference made my decision an easy one
post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM

Go see for yourself. BB in my area has these models (and the PZ800) right next to each other. And be realistic about what the tv will be primarily used for. I think you'll find no difference in the pictures with HD cable running
(720p and 1080i). I could not tell the difference with any of these models myself and I was looking at the 50" models which would make the differences more pronounced.

Its only when you get to BluRay that the difference becomes apparent to some. But then its an eyeball test where you have to be close enough to see it, depending on your own eyesight.

The other factor is SDE (screen door effect). Some are sensitive to that and 1080p reduces this effect. If you are, then you should probably go with one of the PZ models, esp. if they're within a few hundred of the PX.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 133
For me, I can easily tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 50". It's very noticeable on text and the 720p screen looks a little out of focus compared to the 1080p. Since the price difference is so close I would go 1080p if you plan on keeping the tv for a long time.

Edit: If you are only getting a 42" 720p would be fine. I would go 1080p on 50" though.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Go with the PX80 especially in the 42" size because very few people can see the difference on a 42" set unless you have really, really good eyesight.

I would say the only other factor might be is if you arn't going to be using a surround sound system for audio? then you might want to consider the 85 because it does have better speakers in it but I would rule out the PZ80 altogether.

Last March I got my daughter the 1080p 42" PZ700 for her bedroom & the only reason I went with the PZ700 was because I knew she would NOT be using it with a sound system & I wanted the PZ700 for her because of the Sound Quality NOT the Picture Quality but I do have to say that the 700's Video Processor is a very good one.

I also just bought my daughter a 50" PX80 for her living room which she is watching from about 12 feet away & I could'nt see going 1080p even on the 50" size because I knew she would never be able to tell the difference at 12 feet away.

Blu-Ray discs look sharp as hell on the PX80 & as far as I'm concerned the PX80 has the "BEST" Standard-Def Picture (Analog TV, Video Tapes, Old DVDs, Homemade DVDs & Etc) of any model tv on the market today.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 11:13 AM

My 42px80u came in today JUST as I was leaving work ... so of course I went straight back into my house and quickly threw the thing together :P Turned on the xbox 360, said "wow" then ran out the door. I was worried that the 42" would be too small, but I didn't have the budget for a 50" because I felt I would need 1080p. I was also worried about glare because I'm coming from a samsung 32" LCD. However, I'm actually happy with the size and the picture (even on a quick uncalibrated peek). Glare seemed to be no problem and the black levels were amazing compared to what I was used to on the LCD. I can't wait to get back and really set it up properly. I can't comment yet on whether I think I could use more than 720p, but I don't think I will. Prices are coming down now though, so if you find a deal where it's $100 difference, I'd probably just go for it for peace of mind (even though it seems like 80% of the people with an opinion say it wont make a difference).

EDIT: Be wary of comparing TVs in a showroom btw. There have been articles written about how places like Best Buy purposely use a lower resolution source, or screw up the picture settings on their low end TV's in order to convince you that you need the bigger better one with 1080p, 120hz, geek squad adjustment, monster cables, and whatever else they can sell. Also, splitting the source can apparently degrade the quality, so if one TV has it's own source, while another is split with 20 other TV's, that's not good. I would ask for them to setup a bluray player and have the same bluray playing on both TV's for you to make your judgment, rather than basing it on whatever they already have cycling on the screen.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21 View Post

i just spent 3 weeks making the same decision....i ended up with the 42px80u last night after finding a smoking deal

heres what helped me decide, i dont know if all of these statements are accurate but it came from reading this forum

You've been reading statements from people who don't know the whole picture or have not actually compared the two side by side in their homes (i have).

Quote:

at a viewing distance of 8ft the difference from 1080 to 720 is impossible to see

Not always true. Many of us here see the difference from beyond 10 feet on a 42" Plasma.

Quote:

if you are not using blu-ray or HD video games there is no benefit to a 1080p panel

Not necessarily true - HD TV and regular DVDs all look better on my 1080p Plasma than they do on my "720p" Plasma.

Quote:

standard definition tv will look better on a 720p set since there is less scaling to bring the signal to the native resolution of the panel

My experience is that analog SD TV, digital SD TV, and regular SD DVDs all look better on my 1080p set.

Quote:

all of those things plus a $300 difference made my decision an easy one

I think the higher resolution is worth the extra $300 premium.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Good points, Randy.

The dtorz has taken certain opinions/generalizations as absolutes. Not a good idea.

If those were his/her opinions after making personal observations, then they'd be valid for him/her.

As pointed out by others -- benefit/value of 720p vs 1080p is an individual decision....one that's best made via direct observation.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Local dept store had a deal on the 42PX80 and 42PZ80.
No pay for 28 months.

Delta in price was approx. $300

After looking at both sets side by side I decided to go
for the 42PZ80.

Slightly better colour and scaler for SD material.

It was a tough choice.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.glinos View Post

After looking at both sets side by side I decided to go
for the 42PZ80.

Slightly better colour and scaler for SD material.

T : I've read quite a bit of information on the 42px and the 42pz, and I am not aware of ever reading that the 42pz has a better scaler. Since a lot of the programming my wife watches is SD TV (digital comcast cable), I would assume that the 42pz would be a better choice for us.

Where could I get information on the difference in scalers or processors on the two pannys? Thanks

Robert
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page