The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 4963 Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
To bodosom, I want to thank you for all the help you have given to members of this forum in this thread. I have learned a few things from reading your posts, even if they didn't directly relate to my problems. You have spent a lot of time helping us, so thank you.

Thanks to D-Nice as well, even though I have not used your settings, I have used the info you have given.

So thanks guys, and bodosom, keep up the good work, it is much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4963 Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 PM

That main guy in the shootout kind of interrupts the others, couldn't help but notice.

I thought this was an unbiased shootout, it seems like they give way more attention to pioneer then the others. Is the link given in this thread just for the pioneer part of the shootout/review?

EDIT:
I watched a little more and I actually just heard him say that they are partial to pioneer sets. He said they are partial because they are the best panels. So unfortunantely it seems this is maybe a not so neutral event. I would hope if they did in fact see the xbr9 outperform the kuro in some area, they would not be afraid to say it, with their pioneer ties and whatnot.
post #3783 of 4963 Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone on this forum that has ordered from them recently that is having success getting through to them during the last day or so?

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
post #3784 of 4963 Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Might be related to the surprise announcement at our event tomorrow.

-Robert

Okay it's tomorrow. What's the big announcement?
post #3785 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

That main guy in the shootout kind of interrupts the others, couldn't help but notice.

I thought this was an unbiased shootout, it seems like they give way more attention to pioneer then the others. Is the link given in this thread just for the pioneer part of the shootout/review?

EDIT:
I watched a little more and I actually just heard him say that they are partial to pioneer sets. He said they are partial because they are the best panels. So unfortunantely it seems this is maybe a not so neutral event. I would hope if they did in fact see the xbr9 outperform the kuro in some area, they would not be afraid to say it, with their pioneer ties and whatnot.

The winner hasn't been crowned yet. You may want to reserve judgment for the results.
post #3786 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 01:27 AM

Ha ha, during last year's shoot out after the head of the group was asked a question about the Elite brand and its' longevity "I don't know why people think Pioneer is going out of business". It's too bad they really did go out of the plasma business...

It seems like Pioneer will never be bested
post #3787 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

The winner hasn't been crowned yet. You may want to reserve judgment for the results.

Where is this video that you guys are watching?
post #3788 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD View Post

Ha ha, during last year's shoot out after the head of the group was asked a question about the Elite brand and its' longevity "I don't know why people think Pioneer is going out of business". It's too bad they really did go out of the plasma business...

Nothing like a shootout to bring out the trolls.
post #3789 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 AM

I'm planning to buy a KRP-500M this weekend. I just thought it was ironic how in the video they have from last year's shootout the head of the shootout said that.

post #3790 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Where is this video that you guys are watching?

The new shootout didn't start yet. I think these guys are watching last year's shootout. On the bottom of the video it says that that was 2008's shootout and that 2009's will start on July 27 (today).

post #3791 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 AM

If the shootout is being run by the same people this year, which I assume it is, there are clearly some unfair advantages they give to pioneer right off the bat. Front and center display position, "KURO" logos everywhere, the constant talking about the kuro's cool features, the pioneer stamped demo material, and so on.

I'm just saying I was kind of dissapointed. In the video the toshiba apparently was far whiter than the 151, and when reading ftL the toshiba read 35 and the 151 read only 30 I believe. (The tosh looked brighter too.)

Kevin Miller was shocked, considering before the demonstration even started he told everyone the kuro is both darker AND brighter than the rest.

But this is a new year so who knows. I will definately be watching both Saturday's and Sunday's shootouts eventually, although not live as I have to work.

Of course I want my KRP-500m to win, but I want to it to be 100% fair and earned. I want to know my kuro is truly king from unbiased head-to-head comparisons, which I would be grateful to have the luxury of.
post #3792 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I don't see any point of doing a shootout using Pioneer displays if they really are going to stop (or have stopped) making them. How would that come out...yes the Pioneer XXXXX is the finest set in the shootout but you can't get one? That would be fairly stupid.

So my crystal ball says that they will announce that they will continue to manufacture some models, just not all of them. That may be what the KRP models are all about....to find out if a a lower priced more featured model would sell and be profitable for them.

May the speculation begin.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3793 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 AM

Liked: 12
Part of me wants to agree with JimP, and the other part of me thinks they've already torn down the production lines - didn't they say they were exiting the display business entirely? Plasma, LCD, the works? No sense undoing all of that and ramping up again for limited production if you ask me.

I'm still praying it'll be the chance to turbo-charge existing 600M's into 10g tech models
post #3794 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Riot,

Which raises the question about where the M500s and M600s are coming from. Did Pioneer continue one of their plants or are they being made by Panny for them?

We're only hours away from finding out.

Hope the audio/vidio is better than last years. That was torture.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3795 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Pioneer claiming not to make anymore panels was a ruse just to move stock for their upcoming 10G units. It pisses off customers so much that sales drop to an unbearable level and they really go out of business. OK I'll buy one. I can dream right?

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
post #3796 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, I'd be there with you but my 6070 looks too good under most conditions to just dump it.

post #3797 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

As I said before I think I'll need to see perfect blacks before I jump at a new panel. My 111 is so damn good that it's difficult to believe it can get much better.

post #3798 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 AM

I just got my 600m - and it's AWESOME

Is there a post where you guys throw up your settings? I'm looking for some options - the settings I received from the seller make the picture look kind of blurry :/

I may let it run through the 150 break in DV next week when I leave on vacation, but in the meantime, what are some good settings to use?

On a side note, I'm not letting any 4:3 content on the tv for at least a couple of weeks
(Recommended by the seller)

Thanks for pointing in the direction of this TV guys - it's insane!!
post #3799 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post

As I said before I think I'll need to see perfect blacks before I jump at a new panel. My 111 is so damn good that it's difficult to believe it can get much better.

I have a 111 but I find on dark scenes it really shows the limits of the 9g's technology. As in the blacks become a dark blue and don't match the bezel anymore.
post #3800 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:

EDIT:

You are watching last year's event. Tune in tonight on the same channel at 7 PM to see this year's HD shoot-out. The event is 100% unbiased. Do you think I could pay off Kevin Miller, D-Nice, eddicus and everyone who attend both days (more than 80 educated a/v enthusiasts) to all go along with selecting the same TV. And how about every single professional magazine reviewer. maybe I paid them off as well.

Look I don't care who wins, I only care about putting on a perfectly accurate high-end shoot-out from every major manufacturer where we have them face-off on one video wall and get evaluated by top video experts with ISF and SMPTE standards with the best video test and measurement equipment. Sorry for the run on sentence.

I also can't help the fact that Pioneer will be out of the video business by the end of this year. But they are in the business now and if anyone does not want to consider a Kuro just simply eliminate that choice from the results and select the TV that best matches your budget and the scientific results we're publishing.

If you don't like Pioneer winning every single magazine review and my last year shoot out please make your complaints directly to Pioneer. I have nothing to do with the design or manufacturing of Kuro technology.

-Robert
post #3801 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:52 AM

i hope pioneer pulls a brett farve and comes back for us.

honestly they are the only company to make me come back to plasma.
post #3802 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Is that 7pm PST?
post #3803 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsgroupie View Post

Anyone on this forum that has ordered from them recently that is having success getting through to them during the last day or so?

I ordered from them last week and got my tv this Wednesday. I tried to call them yesterday but did not get through, though I called around 5:30 Eastern. Keep us posted on whether you are able to talk to them.

Thanks,
Justin
post #3804 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:00 AM

I just want to thank you ALL for contributing to this forum, and as such my decision to buy the 500M. It's amazing that this kind of technical insight and expertise is available to us all FOR FREE and at any time we want...especially since every time I (and I'm sure all of you) go into a local electronics store (e.g. BB) I seem to know a lot more than them, and I'm just a hobbyist! This is an amazingly informative site.

And for all of you who keep questioning the intentions behind some of the more well-known personalities on this thread, all that they are offering is info and advice. You do not need to take it, or even read it, so please send the hate-mail elsewhere. You're only polluting the integrity of the forum and my good vibrations.

Finally, if someone wouldn't mind posting a link for recommended PS3 hookup and settings, that would be great...I saw a good conversation between D-Nice and someone else (I think shortly after Mr. Nice got his 500), but I seemed to have "misplaced" it. Many thanks.
post #3805 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers View Post

I use Dot by Dot mode on both of my 500ms connected directly to my HR20 DVRs and do not see the annoying lines on top.

A while back, I used to see this same annoying problem with my Sharp 20k projector while watching my locals via DirecTV ... but I haven't noticed it at all lately. Do you notice it mostly on your locals, or is it on every channel?

Since you are in dot by dot mode, there is nothing to "move". If there was, it would defeat the purpose of 1:1 pixel mapping.

Trippy, you don't get it at all. Wish I was that lucky!

I see it on pretty much nearly every 4:3 SD broadcast. Not just locals - in fact, it's at its worst on IFC and Sundance, which are just about the only SD channels I care about anymore (well, those 2 and BBC America). Not every single SD channel has the artifacting, but a good portion of them do.

I've done exhaustive testing now and basically, if the panel sees any 1080i or 1080p signal, it gets the artifacts on those aforementioned channels. I've tried both turning "Native" off (so the HR21-200 sends 1080i at all times) and setting the TX-SR876 to "Through" or "Source", as well as turning "Native" on and setting the TX-SR876 to "1080i" or "1080p". In all of those 4 cases, I get the artifacting.

The only way I can get it to stop is to either

(1) Set the HR21-200 to "Native" and the TX-SR876 to "Through" (or "Source") so that the 480i signal gets straight to the panel

(2) Set the panel itself to "4:3" (instead of "Dot by Dot")

The former is bad because it shifts the panel to "Full" mode automatically, taking it out of "Dot by Dot" because there is no longer a 1080i/1080p signal coming in. This means that 720p content is also subject to "Full" as well. It just plain doesn't look as crisp to me as "Dot by Dot" mode does. (Would be interested to know if bodosom could tell the difference in overscan between < 1080 "Full" and the 1080 "Full1" and "Full2" modes.)

The latter is bad because making the panel do "4:3" means the entire image coming in from the HR21-200 is squeezed in. That's fine for the program, but go hit the DirecTV® 'Guide' button and you'll instantly realize why that's completely unacceptable.

Sigh. I resign defeated ...

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by who1zep View Post

1. If I have this Onkyo and a KRP, is it just like having an Elite, because you only need ISF in one component, like an Onkyo, if all your video goes through the Onkyo and then into the KRP?

I currently have all my video going through the Onkyo, yes. 3 different things (Blu-ray, DirecTV® and NMT box).

While the TX-SR876 has awesome Reon capability, it looks to me like there aren't anywhere near as many color/picture knobs to twiddle in its settings as there are in the KRP-600M, so that is why I was basically setting the Onkyo to pass everything through (just act as a 3-to-1 traffic cop) and with no changes to the default "0" values it has for all those knobs.
post #3806 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

Is that 7pm PST?

I assume EDT, since it's in NY (and we're currently in daylight saving time).

--Eric
post #3807 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:

is that 7pm pst?

7 pm EDT/4 pm PDT
post #3808 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunstarhero View Post

I just got my 600m - and it's AWESOME

Is there a post where you guys throw up your settings? I'm looking for some options - the settings I received from the seller make the picture look kind of blurry :/

I may let it run through the 150 break in DV next week when I leave on vacation, but in the meantime, what are some good settings to use?

The 'Search' function is Your Friend.

Look for D-Nice's posting with the pre-150 hour break-in settings for the 600M in the Pioneer 9G Elite thread (I think?), and look 'way back in this thread for his post-break-in settings (as relayed via a post by elite-home).
post #3809 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelton View Post

I assume EDT, since it's in NY (and we're currently in daylight saving time).

OK thanks. That's 8pm my time.
post #3810 of 4963 Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a 111 but I find on dark scenes it really shows the limits of the 9g's technology. As in the blacks become a dark blue and don't match the bezel anymore.

I must have a freak unit. It's not perfect but it's not
distracting either.

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page