The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4963 Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

That's a big diff. . .I know we aren't suppose to talk prices so I will leave it at that, but seriously a big diff.
jim

Factor in the retail price of a stand, speakers and off air external tuner and that will be your big difference. Everyone should offer a signature type model for half off either LCD or Plasma.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4963 Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
has anyone dealt with beyondplasma? they are shown as a authorized dealer on the pioneer site, but only 1 review in reseller ratings. so I was curious to know if anyone have any experiences with them. thanks.
post #633 of 4963 Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's a big diff. . .I know we aren't suppose to talk prices so I will leave it at that, but seriously a big diff.
jim

The KRP is only a steal right now if you dont need a stand, tuner, or speakers. If you do need those things, the price gap narrows considerably vs a 151FD and the 151 will also give you ISFccc modes. The bargain right now really is for those that dont require those items and only need a monitor and dont mind not having ISFccc. It is a very significant savings.
post #634 of 4963 Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM

I am getting mine delivered tomorrow afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in perfect shape. will update if ok or not!
post #635 of 4963 Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyonman View Post

I am getting mine delivered tomorrow afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be in perfect shape. will update if ok or not!

Please keep us posted over in the damage tracking thread if you wouldnt mind. Good luck sir! She's a beauty and you will love it!
post #636 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

The KRP is only a steal right now if you dont need a stand, tuner, or speakers. If you do need those things, the price gap narrows considerably vs a 151FD and the 151 will also give you ISFccc modes. The bargain right now really is for those that dont require those items and only need a monitor and dont mind not having ISFccc. It is a very significant savings.

I deff don't need any of those. Not having ISF doesn't bother me. I have my elite setup how I like it have been very happy. I'm going to see about getting a 600 today.

jimi
post #637 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

I deff don't need any of those. Not having ISF doesn't bother me. I have my elite setup how I like it have been very happy. I'm going to see about getting a 600 today.

jimi

The only thing that bothers me is the decision to remove it from the US version. It comes from the inward focus and not market focus. Market focus would have been to offer the best feature set at the best price. The xx20's did not do it. They could not compete against the value models and the dumbed down modes drove away videophiles.

It is a great display, but you have to ask yourself: What were they thinking?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #638 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jimi

If you do get one, please keep us posted. Its a great set no doubt!
post #639 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM

quick question... i'm going to be moving in the next few months or so, probably around august, and was planning on holding off until the move to get a new tv for the living room - but then i stumbled across this thread about the KRP-600M and it really does sound like a great tv and value... already have surround sound speakers so that's not a biggie, and plan on having either DirectTV or Verizon FIOS, so don't believe i'd need the tuner... only think is probably getting the stand since i doubt i'll be wall mounting it right away.

anywho, i'm thinking that perhaps i should go ahead and order one of these now and simply store it in the basement until the move... then set it up at the new place, i'm just a little nervous about moving the thing.

if i got a uhaul and strapped it to the sides of the van during the move, would that be sufficient? i'd really hate to buy one now, only to move it months later and bust the damn thing in the process and find myself kinda screwed.

the alternative is to wait until i move, and then start to look around once again at tv's.. like a panny 58V10 or something.

any advice is appreciated.
post #640 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulleffect View Post

quick question... i'm going to be moving in the next few months or so, probably around august, and was planning on holding off until the move to get a new tv for the living room - but then i stumbled across this thread about the KRP-600M and it really does sound like a great tv and value... already have surround sound speakers so that's not a biggie, and plan on having either DirectTV or Verizon FIOS, so don't believe i'd need the tuner... only think is probably getting the stand since i doubt i'll be wall mounting it right away.

anywho, i'm thinking that perhaps i should go ahead and order one of these now and simply store it in the basement until the move... then set it up at the new place, i'm just a little nervous about moving the thing.

if i got a uhaul and strapped it to the sides of the van during the move, would that be sufficient? i'd really hate to buy one now, only to move it months later and bust the damn thing in the process and find myself kinda screwed.

the alternative is to wait until i move, and then start to look around once again at tv's.. like a panny 58V10 or something.

How far are you moving?
post #641 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. Decided to pull the trigger on a 111 before they are all gone, though I will most likely be relocating as well.

You could keep the box and styrofoam packaging and just re-pack it when you're ready to move. And I guarantee that once you put it in a moving van or truck, no matter how rough you are with it, you'll still probably be more careful than the delivery company ever was.
post #642 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM

While waiting for the delivery guy today i figure I'd download D'nice break in DVD. Do I need to set anything on the TV during this break in period? I read on the 9g Non elite Kuro thread, the settings were for the 6020 /5020 only. Any input on this from anybody? Thanks
post #643 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys,

Quick question on bracket holes. Correct me if I am wrong. I looked on the broch and it says 33 15/32 and 19 11/16.

Just want to make sure I am right. Have to see if my 50" bracket is big enough of if I got to get a new one. hopefully it is cause I don't want new holes in the wall.

thanks,
jimi
post #644 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM

just got my 600m. looks ok so far (no glass damage I could see). Manufacture date is March 2009. Will have to plug it in to make sure everything's OK.
post #645 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

just got my 600m. looks ok so far (no glass damage I could see). Manufacture date is March 2009. Will have to plug it in to make sure everything's OK.

That is great news! Keep us posted on it. Please make a post in the damage tracking thread if you wouldnt mind. Thanks!
post #646 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Just got my 600M glass looks intact used flashlight to check. Will turn on here in a little bit and make sure everything is good to go.
post #647 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 PM

My 600m was delivered minutes ago via FedEx LTL from ADI in Sparks, NV. Box was not on a pallet (driver said they removed it when they put it in the smaller delivery truck at the local FedEx terminal), however it looked fine. Contents were flawless also. Must plug it in to very proper operation. Oh, build date was Oct 08. Man, this thing is gorgeous, and SO thin!
post #648 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats everyone! This is starting to sound more like it . Some good positive delivery info for a change. Please take a second to post results in the tracking thread too if you can pull yourselves away from the beautiful tv...lol...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1129322&page=4
post #649 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quick update. I havent ran any solid colors across the screen, as I am not going to be doing break in via DVD or anything, so I am not 100% sure if there are any dead pixels or not, but I dont think there. So....woohoo

Snapped 2 quick pics od HDDVD "Happy Feet" for everyone. Looks fantastic:

[.img]http://mysite.verizon.net/ndisgii/homepage/happy1.jpg[/img]

[.img]http://mysite.verizon.net/ndisgii/homepage/happy2.jpg[/img]

Dark room and photos are not cropped at all. I love this thing already

ndisgii (and everyone else that has a 600M),

In a darkened room with a bias light, do you find the brightness in Pure mode to be sufficient? I'm still in the process of deciding whether I want to fork over the extra dough for an Elite (and its associated ISF modes) vs. a 600M. My primary viewing environment will be a darkened room with little ambient light and a bias light behind the TV.

I currently own an uncalibrated 4280 and I am always impressed with the picture quality whenever I watch any BD. I understand D-Nice estimated a calibrated 600M to output around 38-41 ft-L. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no perspective on what "38-41 ft-L" might be. Does anyone have any thoughts or know how this might compare to my current 4280?

Thanks for any help!
post #650 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Congrats everyone! This is starting to sound more like it . Some good positive delivery info for a change. Please take a second to post results in the tracking thread too if you can pull yourselves away from the beautiful tv...lol...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1129322&page=4

Just posted mine on that thread. Glad to take it over 50% good.
post #651 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carftopher View Post

ndisgii (and everyone else that has a 600M),

In a darkened room with a bias light, do you find the brightness in Pure mode to be sufficient? I'm still in the process of deciding whether I want to fork over the extra dough for an Elite (and its associated ISF modes) vs. a 600M. My primary viewing environment will be a darkened room with little ambient light and a bias light behind the TV.

I currently own an uncalibrated 4280 and I am always impressed with the picture quality whenever I watch any BD. I understand D-Nice estimated a calibrated 600M to output around 38-41 ft-L. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have no perspective on what "38-41 ft-L" might be. Does anyone have any thoughts or know how this might compare to my current 4280?

Thanks for any help!

I wish I could provide more technical info, but I cant. I will say that I am COMPLETELY happy with the light output on mine, and cant really see why more would be needed, at least not in my case. I have a fairly decent controlled room, but not total light control by any means. I wont be able to try and view it during daytime, or with blinds open durind daytime, until this weekend. I get home too late from work. I am not using bias lighting yet, but most likely will in the near future just because I like the way it looks. Maybe some of the others have had a chance to view in a bright environment and differ in opinion. Good luck in your decision.
post #652 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just posted mine on that thread. Glad to take it over 50% good.

Thank you very much! Enjoy that thing!
post #653 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Just want to add that I ordered a 600m today. I hate this place. Last night I wasn't even looking for a new panel. Then I stumble upon this thread and stat reading. 24 hours later new panel. What the heck happened! LOL

Thanks everyone for the info on these units. I would never even have known they were out if I wasn't listening to some music and started wandering to waste time!

Deff a good find and buy! Just need to get a new bracket I think. I totally forgot what I have my 50 Elite on.

Thanks again!

Seriously!

jimi
post #654 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM

How will a non-tuner monitor handle signal from Directv DVR receiver? Would it need an AVR to upconvert SD broadcasts? How much difference would there be if it did not? Will it also fall short on HD broadcasts? I'm planning on a Pioneer BD51 for Bluray and DVD playback with the analog audio out to a vintage stereo. Wasn't planning on an AVR, but would be grateful for a better understanding of tuner/upconversion regarding the 500 M I plan to order.
post #655 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

no different. most use their "tv" with tuners as monitors anyway getting the signal from the sat stb or cable stb, tivo , bluray etc.
the internal tuners are just used to receive the atsc/ntsc/qam transmissions from the local broadcasters or cable companies. They are different/seperate from the scaling/processors used in all the displays.

you can always watch that 4:3 SD broadcast in 4:3 . you don't have to upconvert it. if it is a 4:3 sd program i prefer to watch it in 4:3 and not upconvert it cause it usually looks worse, i would prefer the better quality 4:3 pic then just filing up the 16:9 screen area.

well the panel is actually scaling it to it's native 1080p anyway.

if you want your directv hd receiver will upconvert it for you instead of 480i output you can set it for 720p or 1080i.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #656 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

How far are you moving?

good question... about 30 miles, give or take a bit.

my gut kinda thinks i'd be better off if i just waited and bought something after i move, but the other part of me keeps saying, "dude, you've been eyeballing these kuro's for the last year and time seems to be ticking here... grab one now and worry about the move later!"

still, it's a lot of money... :/
post #657 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

I'm in the same boat. Decided to pull the trigger on a 111 before they are all gone, though I will most likely be relocating as well.

You could keep the box and styrofoam packaging and just re-pack it when you're ready to move. And I guarantee that once you put it in a moving van or truck, no matter how rough you are with it, you'll still probably be more careful than the delivery company ever was.

that's the part i was worried about... i'll keep the box and packaging, but was just worried about the part of putting it in a u-haul, since i've never moved anything like a 60" plasma in one before.

but if that's the case, and i manage to get a good one, then hell... maybe i should just pull the trigger and hope i don't receive one of these broken ones that a lot of people seem to have gotten (from skimming through the thread)

think i'll be okay if i decide to wait until the end of april to buy one?
post #658 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

that's the part i was worried about... i'll keep the box and packaging, but was just worried about the part of putting it in a u-haul, since i've never moved anything like a 60" plasma in one before.

but if that's the case, and i manage to get a good one, then hell... maybe i should just pull the trigger and hope i don't receive one of these broken ones that a lot of people seem to have gotten (from skimming through the thread)

Personally, I think that is really risky. that is why I am trying really hard to get a deal done today. but it was not to be, I think tomorrow could be the day! friday for a fine TV ordering! I would suggest if you have the funds now, then go for it.
post #659 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The problem with waiting to buy these panels is that by the time you do decide to buy, they may no longer be available to buy new anywhere as they will all be sold out. It's a scary/risky thought. Just look at what happened to the king of CRT HDTVs -- Sony's legendary 34XBR960. Remember those? When they're gone, they're gone, and you'll be lucky to find them used because no one would want to get rid of them.

If you miss out on these reference panels, you'll be kicking yourself thinking, "Oh man, I wish I could turn back time and buy one when they were in stock!"
post #660 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I'd pull the trigger relatively soon if I was you.

Moving it will be okay as long as you keep it stable.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page