The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
mfb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posted on the damaged thread.

Second delivery was not cracked. March 09 man. date

m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

I'd pull the trigger relatively soon if I was you.

Moving it will be okay as long as you keep it stable.

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it... funny how much something like this can kinda tear you up, what with going back and forth on it constantly for the last few days or more... i actually got a laugh from one of the posters here that said, "i hate this place" or something to that effect. *chuckle*

know the feeling, man.

i'm starting to think that i'll be fine with moving it again in a few months from now, as long as i keep all the packaging and am careful about it.

still looking around trying to find the best price on it i can.
post #663 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 View Post

no different. most use their "tv" with tuners as monitors anyway getting the signal from the sat stb or cable stb, tivo , bluray etc.
the internal tuners are just used to receive the atsc/ntsc/qam transmissions from the local broadcasters or cable companies. They are different/seperate from the scaling/processors used in all the displays.

you can always watch that 4:3 SD broadcast in 4:3 . you don't have to upconvert it. if it is a 4:3 sd program i prefer to watch it in 4:3 and not upconvert it cause it usually looks worse, i would prefer the better quality 4:3 pic then just filing up the 16:9 screen area.

well the panel is actually scaling it to it's native 1080p anyway.

if you want your directv hd receiver will upconvert it for you instead of 480i output you can set it for 720p or 1080i.

Thank you dssturbo1,
I appreciate the info...
post #664 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
MrWaverly, if you discover later that you want to receive OAR HDTV broadcasted in your area, you can always add an external digital tuner. They aren't that expensive.
post #665 of 4963 Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Who will be the first to have their KRP-600M calibrated?
post #666 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am glad to report that the PRO-151FD speakers hook-up to the KRP-600M perfectly. NO NEED to modify the bracket, NO need for spacers, NO need for longer screws. The speaker just fit as if it was designed for the KRP-600M in the first place. Sound is very good too for TV speakers standard.
post #667 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I spent a few hours with my new 500m last night and I have to say that it by far the best TV I've ever seen or owned. I've very picky, and I've been through seven TVs in the last four years but this one seems pretty much flawless.
post #668 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Who will be the first to have their KRP-600M calibrated?

I am considering it highly, but I cant help but to hope that someone/somewhere/sometime will provide the magical fix for unlocking ISFccc and I dont want to pay for a calibration twice if that happens in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

I spent a few hours with my new 500m last night and I have to say that it by far the best TV I've ever seen or owned. I've very picky, and I've been through seven TVs in the last four years but this one seems pretty much flawless.

Fantastic news! I am definitely in love with mine as well. They are great tvs no doubt about it!
post #669 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

I am glad to report that the PRO-151FD speakers hook-up to the KRP-600M perfectly. NO NEED to modify the bracket, NO need for spacers, NO need for longer screws. The speaker just fit as if it was designed for the KRP-600M in the first place. Sound is very good too for TV speakers standard.

Great to hear...
post #670 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

Fantastic news! I am definitely in love with mine as well. They are great tvs no doubt about it!

Yeah, I am really in awe of how good it is. Every other TV has had a bunch fo flaws, big and small (including my other Kuro). This one just doesn't, it's perfect.

The only complaint that I can think of is that the zoom modes are pretty useless.
post #671 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only complaint that I can think of is that the zoom modes are pretty useless.

Yes, I can agree with that one too, the zoom is not very usefull in the way it was implemented! I'm gonna say its a minor shortfall though IMO. I will turn my eye the other way for that
post #672 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know who has any stock on the KRP TS 01 stand for this monitor? I believe it is the same as the stand for the PRO 141.

Thanks,
Barry
post #673 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

Great news to hear. Thanks for sharing with us!
post #674 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM

Congrats to all the recent new owners!

Can we now start a KRP-500M/ KRP-600M Settings thread?

post #675 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Here are some of the pictures from my crappy Canon point-&-shoot SD890. My KRP-600M is set at dot-by-dot with pure mode, out-of-the-box settings. No dead pixel but very minor buzzing with tv volume at 4.

Spider-man 3 1080p trailer:

PS3 Killzone 2 1080p trailer:

Band of Brothers Blu-ray 1080p Disc 2

At last, my setup:

The crappy Canon camera is probably capturing 10% of the beauty of the picture. When at night all my lights are off, sitting at 11ft away, I feel like I am in a theater. Holy cow!
post #676 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJunior2 View Post

Congrats to all the recent new owners!

Can we now start a KRP-500M/ KRP-600M Settings thread?

They may be identical to the Sig Elites, which I think already have a settings thread.
post #677 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:

They may be identical to the Sig Elites, which I think already have a settings thread.

Yes, but all of the settings on the 141 thread are for the ISF modes. It would be nice to have a settings thread for the M-series since our settings will be through pure or even standard.

I have to say that this is the best set up TV out of the box I've ever owned. I've messed a bit with the default settings, but haven't changed any of the color settings yet. It looks very accurate to me. I've also been happy using standard mode more than I thought - I started using it in the day, but will also switch to it at night. My wife prefers it over pure right now, although we haven't watched a blu-ray yet, just DirecTV-HD.
post #678 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wish D-Nice would be kind enough to post his 500M calibration result settings, so we could compare them to the 111FD settings to see how close they are.
post #679 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I wish D-Nice would be kind enough to post his 500M calibration result settings, so we could compare them to the 111FD settings to see how close they are.

I have a cheapo Display 2 that I am going to calibrate my 600M with. I'll be using CALMAN and AVS HD 709 this weekend. I'm new at calibrating, but I'll be happy to share my results.
post #680 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJunior2 View Post

I have a cheapo Display 2 that I am going to calibrate my 600M with. I'll be using CALMAN and AVS HD 709 this weekend. I'm new at calibrating, but I'll be happy to share my results.

Awesome! I cant wait to see what you come up with. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the updates!
post #681 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

I would really like a new 9G pioneer and have thought about pickup up either the 500 or 600m. However, I currently have a 5080 8g pioneer and while its pretty good, I told myself that I wouldn't buy a new tv until a couple of issues were resolved. My next tv purchase would be my "last" until it broke.

First: Black level, I wanted absolute black, even though the 8G provides good black levels it still glows and is quite anoying. I use my tv everyday and while some may say that you hardly see just a black screen I see it enough everyday that it bothers me. Until I get a 9G panel into my own home I guess I won't be for sure if I will be satisfied, but just curious if anyone had a similiar feeling regarding the 8Gs and is now satisfied with a 9G.

Second: Motion blur. This is possibly the biggest concern I have. I came from a crt projector that was incredibly smooth and handled motion very well. One example I can think of is in Max Payne there is a scene where he is walking into a large storage container, like those shipped over seas on tankers, and there are boxes with writting on them. The scene pans over the boxes and I can't for the life of me even get close to reading anything on the boxes. This wasn't a problem on a crt. Just curious how much better, if any, the new 9G handled this. The way my current plasma handles motion gives me a headache when it happens for an extended period of time.

I have to say I still love my 8G pioneer, but for my next tv purchase I wanted to make sure to buy something that resovled those few issues. I originally wasn't in a rush to buy one, but since the exit of Pioneer from the tv business I'm looking at buying sooner than planned. If the 9G won't quite satisfy hopefully something within the next 3-4 years will be avialble, this was my original time frame to buy another tv.

I don't want to start any flaming by any means, but if someone could comment about these I would appreciate it.
post #682 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

First: Black level, I wanted absolute black, even though the 8G provides good black levels it still glows and is quite anoying. I use my tv everyday and while some may say that you hardly see just a black screen I see it enough everyday that it bothers me. Until I get a 9G panel into my own home I guess I won't be for sure if I will be satisfied, but just curious if anyone had a similiar feeling regarding the 8Gs and is now satisfied with a 9G.

I don't feel qualified to answer the question regarding motion blur, but I do have some experience in comparing the 8G black levels to 9G. I have a 4280 (with bias light) that has a very similar ft-L rating as your 5080. My father has a 5020 and when I go visit on the weekends, there is a noticible difference in black level between the two. It's definitely still not 0.000000000 ft-L, but it's pretty darn close. My father also does not have a bias light behind his panel, but it is still noticibly darker than my 8G WITH a bias light.

I personally don't have a 9G (at least not yet ), so I can't do any side by side comparisons, but I visit my father enough to realize the difference in black level is not just my eyes tricking me.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
post #683 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

I would really like a new 9G pioneer and have thought about pickup up either the 500 or 600m. However, I currently have a 5080 8g pioneer and while its pretty good, I told myself that I wouldn't buy a new tv until a couple of issues were resolved. My next tv purchase would be my "last" until it broke.

Second: Motion blur. This is possibly the biggest concern I have. I came from a crt projector that was incredibly smooth and handled motion very well. One example I can think of is in Max Payne there is a scene where he is walking into a large storage container, like those shipped over seas on tankers, and there are boxes with writting on them. The scene pans over the boxes and I can't for the life of me even get close to reading anything on the boxes. This wasn't a problem on a crt. Just curious how much better, if any, the new 9G handled this. The way my current plasma handles motion gives me a headache when it happens for an extended period of time.

I have to say I still love my 8G pioneer, but for my next tv purchase I wanted to make sure to buy something that resovled those few issues. I originally wasn't in a rush to buy one, but since the exit of Pioneer from the tv business I'm looking at buying sooner than planned. If the 9G won't quite satisfy hopefully something within the next 3-4 years will be avialble, this was my original time frame to buy another tv.

I don't want to start any flaming by any means, but if someone could comment about these I would appreciate it.

I am the proud owner of a 5080 as well, and I just picked up a 111 a few days ago. Without even breaking the 111 in, I can tell you that you can see a difference in black levels. In a dark environment, the blacks on your Kuro basically disappear into the bezel whereas with the 5080, you can still see the separation.
post #684 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I want to throw this little tidbit out there for anyone that it might possibly help out. I may just be an idiot for not understanding the settings, but here goes anyways.

On Wednesday night when I got the tv, I was watching it and in awe on the blacks being so dark, and even my wife made comment on the darkness. Well, last night, as soon as I got home, I entered the setup menu on my Verizon FIOS Motorola DVR STB, and made a few changes for the heck of it (I was trying out different resolutions). One of the other changes I made, was in the HDMI extra/advanced settings section. I changed (not knowing what it is and still dont really...lol...) the color mode from Ycc to RGB mode. After setting this stuff, I walked away cause the wife wanted to watch some stuff. Later that night, I started watching again, and was noticing that something wasnt right. The blacks were now greys like on the Sammy 5044 it replaced. I was like WTF. I thought the tv had lost settings or something, but they looked fine. I forgot until right before I went to bed, that I changed that setting in the STB. I went back in and set it back to Ycc, and BAM! Back to the beautiful blacks that I saw the night before. Just keep that in mind if you are fiddling around in a Motorola DVR STB. Peace!
post #685 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Does anyone know who has any stock on the KRP TS 01 stand for this monitor? I believe it is the same as the stand for the PRO 141.

Thanks,
Barry

These have been hard to find everywhere I would try Pioneer direct.
post #686 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I entered the setup menu on my Verizon FIOS Motorola DVR STB... I changed (not knowing what it is and still dont really...lol...) the color mode from Ycc to RGB mode... The blacks were now greys like on the Sammy 5044 it replaced... I went back in and set it back to Ycc, and BAM! Back to the beautiful blacks that I saw the night before.

This is via HDMI, I assume (I think it must be, as the Pioneer displays do not support RGB color via RCA-component).

It could have been caused by a number of things. One is, I believe HD is broadcast in Ycc (not sure how it is actually recorded). So by setting the DVR to RGB, you are converting color-space inside the DVR, and it could be doing a poor job. Also, I am not sure how the Pioneer works but my Panasonic monitor does not allow color adjustment at all when receiving RGB input. So any color adjustments you'd made on the display for that input and resolution could have been overriden by the RGB input signal.
post #687 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to throw this little tidbit out there for anyone that it might possibly help out. I may just be an idiot for not understanding the settings, but here goes anyways.

On Wednesday night when I got the tv, I was watching it and in awe on the blacks being so dark, and even my wife made comment on the darkness. Well, last night, as soon as I got home, I entered the setup menu on my Verizon FIOS Motorola DVR STB, and made a few changes for the heck of it (I was trying out different resolutions). One of the other changes I made, was in the HDMI extra/advanced settings section. I changed (not knowing what it is and still dont really...lol...) the color mode from Ycc to RGB mode. After setting this stuff, I walked away cause the wife wanted to watch some stuff. Later that night, I started watching again, and was noticing that something wasnt right. The blacks were now greys like on the Sammy 5044 it replaced. I was like WTF. I thought the tv had lost settings or something, but they looked fine. I forgot until right before I went to bed, that I changed that setting in the STB. I went back in and set it back to Ycc, and BAM! Back to the beautiful blacks that I saw the night before. Just keep that in mind if you are fiddling around in a Motorola DVR STB. Peace!

It sounds like the TV wasn't autodetecting that the cable box was outputting RGB at video levels. You can manually change that in the "input" menu, though changing the cable box's output back to YCC works just as well.
post #688 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

These have been hard to find everywhere I would try Pioneer direct.

Roman,

Thanks. I found a local Best Buy that has one.

Barry
post #689 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Any idea as to which stands fit the 500M in addition to the one listed on the Pioneer site?
post #690 of 4963 Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
mfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousse View Post

Any idea as to which stands fit the 500M in addition to the one listed on the Pioneer site?

Guys,

I have two 50" Elite stands (came with my 1110 and 1120). The 1110 is still in the box and is much heavier and bigger. They started getting cheaper and smaller with their later generations.

I don't know if they will work, but PM me interested.

I'll update with some pics later today.

marty
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page