The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4963 Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much for the calibration settings to try out. I am gonna give them a try right now. I too, cant wait to see D-Nice's settings, to see how they compare. Thanks again guys for taking the time to post and let us know if you make more changes. Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4963 Old 03-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks Dean!
post #723 of 4963 Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM

Bummer, so no monoprice mounts will work?

Looking at the monoprice website, it onlt lists that the 151 is not compatible. I'm going to search the signature threads to see if anybody used a monoprice since these M series are the same form factor.
post #724 of 4963 Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

Bummer, so no monoprice mounts will work?

Looking at the monoprice website, it onlt lists that the 151 is not compatible. I'm going to search the signature threads to see if anybody used a monoprice since these M series are the same form factor.

I have been wrong before so there may be one that will work. However I wasn't able to find any that were more than 32" wide, the 600 needs a bit over 33", not to mention the 19" or so you would need for the brackets. They definitely are a fantastic value if you can find one that works. Good luck.
post #725 of 4963 Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Thank you.

One more thing, when mounted flush with the front the speaker depth matches the 500M. That I did not expect.

- Rich

Nice job indeed. Question, the 500M specs say 9W+9W Audio Amplifier and the KRP-S04 speakers meant for the 500M are also 9W.

So it's alright to add 18W speakers (111FD, 5020FD) to the 500M?
post #726 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousse View Post

Yes. You wouldn't want the amplifier to produce more power than the speakers can handle, but the other way around is fine.

--Eric
post #727 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

Nice job indeed. Question, the 500M specs say 9W+9W Audio Amplifier and the KRP-S04 speakers meant for the 500M are also 9W.

Twice the power generates 3db in volume which is not very much. They 111 sound fine (better than any TV speakers I have heard).

With less power, amps clip generating high frequencies that are unpleasant. A hand held radio can sound too loud because it is clipping and distorting. My Revel sound loud when the house is shaking, because they are not distorting.

In short, if it sounds bad, turn it down

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #728 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelton View Post

Yes. You wouldn't want the amplifier to produce more power than the speakers can handle, but the other way around is fine.

Sometimes.
Clean power is usually good though. Too much power and you can blow the woofers or tweeters. However, too little power, generates high frequencies that can easily burn out your tweeters. I think there is no risk for with these M's and the 111 or 151 speakers. (For all we know the M speakers are the same with slightly different packaging. For the 600's they might only differ from by the Part number ).

One user PM'ed me about using "real" stereo speakers. I would not do that. Depending on the efficiency of the speaker, you could easily over drive the AMP in the TV (while producing a low volume) and cause it to overheat. That could burn you the amp out and who knows if it might take some other components with it.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #729 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM

Anyone using the IR Repeater funtion?

The manual says:
6.7 Use the IR REPEATER OUT
  • Connecting control cables between the flat panel display and other Pioneer equipment allows you to operate the
    connected equipment via commands from the remote control.
  • This function is helpful when controlling Pioneer equipment from other Pioneer equipment.
I can't believe it only works with other Pio equipment. Repeaters are usually very simple circuits, Pio would have to go out of their way to limit the function to Pio only equipment.
post #730 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Actually, you are wrong about that.
post #731 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Actually, you are wrong about that.

+ 1

Higher power allows you to maintain a "clean" signal as you turn up the volume, preventing clipping. Simply put, clipping is highly distorted audio signals from the amplifier due to driving the amp past its capabilities, which can be very damaging to the speakers.
post #732 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer View Post

+ 1

Higher power allows you to maintain a "clean" signal as you turn up the volume, preventing clipping. Simply put, clipping is highly distorted audio signals from the amplifier due to driving the amp past its capabilities, which can be very damaging to the speakers.

Hmm. I understand that overdriving an amplifier is bad, but it also seems potentially damaging to send a speaker more power than it's capable of handling (almost by definition).

--Eric
post #733 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I happened to have recently visited the Crown Audio (makers of higher power amps and other audio equipment) site and read this area on their site: How much power can my speakers handle? http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/am...much_power.htm

Read their recommendations for adequate power. They touch on both too much power as well as too little power to your speakers. Based on what they say there, your amp should be rated at a higher wattage than your speakers rating. How much more can depend on just what sort of music or audio you plan on playing. Of course your amp and speakers should also have the same ohm rating.

In my own experience over several decades as well as talking to other audio enthusiasts it's much more common to have blown/damaged speakers from under driving them (not enough watts from your amp) than over driving them when playing at loud volume.
post #734 of 4963 Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Can someone with a 500M measure the distance between the mounting holes horizontally and vertically?

I'm going to download the manual in the meantime.

Is there anyone out there with a 500m that can post the distance of the mounting holes from the top and bottom edge of the panel.

The info is not in the manual or the manual for the mounting bracket or the brochure...

Thanks
post #735 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I was almost an owner (or, why you shouldn't deal with Buy.com):

I placed an order online with Buy.com for a 500m last week. When I checked my order status online today, the order was listed as cancelled. I called customer service, and the explanation they gave was that the vendor could not deliver it to my location. Well, my location is in the middle of Chicago, and I was surprised that the third largest city in the country was too remote for them to deal with.

I suspect the real reason they cancelled the order is that their price has since gone up $150. This was confirmed when they offered to sell it to me at the higher price—somehow they could get it to Chicago for that much.

So, back to the drawing board.

--Eric
post #736 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

Is there anyone out there with a 500m that can post the distance of the mounting holes from the top and bottom edge of the panel.

The info is not in the manual or the manual for the mounting bracket or the brochure...

Thanks

Check out the two page 'brochure/datasheet' for the 500m on the first page of this thread. The second page looks to have the measurements for the mounting holes. 19 17/32" W x 11 13/16" H if I read it correctly. I used the respective 600M brochure to rule out some mounts....
post #737 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Well i overcame the speaker problem by getting a good deal on a Yamaha YSP-800 for $260. My room isn't that big and I really didn't want to mess with too many wires or additional components for now.

Now to figure out the stand.

Since the brochure gives the distance between the left and right supports as 19 17/32 inches, would any Pioneer stand with screw holes 19 17/32 inches apart work?

Or would the vertical distance between any holes on the mounting bracket come into play as well?

post #738 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffo_botz View Post

Check out the two page 'brochure/datasheet' for the 500m on the first page of this thread. The second page looks to have the measurements for the mounting holes. 19 17/32" W x 11 13/16" H if I read it correctly. I used the respective 600M brochure to rule out some mounts....

Thanks, I saw those numbers, but what I was really looking for are the distances from top holes to top edge of panel and bottom holes from bottom edge of panel, which they don't give you.

They probably are equi-distant from top to top and bottom to bottom. I was trying to install a mount. I don't want the panel too high plus I want it to just clear the center channel speaker by as little as possible. I just assumed the holes are same distance from the edges and I installed by bisecting the mount accross the middle and did the same for the panel. There are 1 inch slots on the part that attaches to the display so hopefully it all lines up and I have an inch or 2 veritcal wiggle room.
post #739 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Well, I was almost an owner (or, why you shouldn't deal with Buy.com):

I placed an order online with Buy.com for a 500m last week. When I checked my order status online today, the order was listed as cancelled. I called customer service, and the explanation they gave was that the vendor could not deliver it to my location. Well, my location is in the middle of Chicago, and I was surprised that the third largest city in the country was too remote for them to deal with.

I suspect the real reason they cancelled the order is that their price has since gone up $150. This was confirmed when they offered to sell it to me at the higher pricesomehow they could get it to Chicago for that much.

So, back to the drawing board.

Contact Robert at ****************, see what he says. I live in NY so the tax starts to make the 500M less of buy when I start to add everything up. Kind of a bummer.
post #740 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Contact Robert at ****************, see what he says. I live in NY so the tax starts to make the 500M less of buy when I start to add everything up. Kind of a bummer.

+1 on Robert; and +1 on NY sales Tax. I live in NY too.
Got my 600M somewhere else but would have loved to do business with Robert.
post #741 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 PM

I just spoke with Pioneer Canada on the subject of availability of the Non-Elite Signature series and they said that they would be hitting retailers in the Summer of 09. The individual I spoke with also mentioned that there would be an adequate supply for atleast the Summer season. For all you Canadians out there, this is the chance to snag a display with Elite-like performance and Non-Elite like prices!
post #742 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. If I recall correctly, I bought my original plasma from **************** in 2000--a 50 inch Fujitsu for $11,500 (a great price!). How times have changed. And looking at their website, they do have an outstanding price on the 500M.

Regarding Buy.com, I pursued what on Consumerist.com is known as the executive e-mail carpet bomb. Within hours, I got a very nice message back from Buy.com's VP of Operations, apologizing for the problem. He offered to sell me the 500M at the original price, which I readily accepted. (Of note, the price on the website went up another $350 today, now $600 more than I ordered it for.) He also sent me a $25 gift certificate for my trouble.

All in all, an excellent outcome--with most of the thanks to Consumerist.com and the power of the EECB.

--Eric
post #743 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. If I recall correctly, I bought my original plasma from **************** in 2000--a 50 inch Fujitsu for $11,500 (a great price!). How times have changed. And looking at their website, they do have an outstanding price on the 500M.

Regarding Buy.com, I pursued what on Consumerist.com is known as the executive e-mail carpet bomb. Within hours, I got a very nice message back from Buy.com's VP of Operations, apologizing for the problem. He offered to sell me the 500M at the original price, which I readily accepted. (Of note, the price on the website went up another $350 today, now $600 more than I ordered it for.) He also sent me a $25 gift certificate for my trouble.

All in all, an excellent outcome--with most of the thanks to Consumerist.com and the power of the EECB.

good to know that all is well. It made me think that I should have complained about Magnolia HT and how they jack up $1700 premium, and refused to be nice about me and accommodate me with the price on a 111. I'll be sure to use consumerist next time I get screwed by these stores, which is a lot I might add!

but, congratulations are in order! now if I can just find out when my monitor is coming, and what state is in right now, I'd be a happy man!
post #744 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi all owners,

I've been lurking for a while, and recently posted a thread about choosing between the 6020, Panny 58 800U and the upcoming Panny 58 V10

The problem with 6020 is obviously the price, and good thing about 800U is the lowprice.

Someone pointed me to 600M, and I am very intrigued, as I don't need tuner nor speakers.

I am able to find a pretty good deal from monitoroutlet , thanks to the people who pointed that out from the thread.

However, before I pull the trigger, can someone comment how satisfy they are with the customer services there.. how trustworthy it is.. how's the delivery.. should i go with the white glove delivery .. should i buy extra warranty.. etc etc.

if the information is sensitive.. then please PM me

thanks for all the help in advance!!!!
post #745 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

I just spoke with Pioneer Canada on the subject of availability of the Non-Elite Signature series and they said that they would be hitting retailers in the Summer of 09. The individual I spoke with also mentioned that there would be an adequate supply for atleast the Summer season. For all you Canadians out there, this is the chance to snag a display with Elite-like performance and Non-Elite like prices!

Never heard of a "Non-Elite Signature". I think you're confused.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #746 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Hello all,

Can sport mode on the 600M be calibrated well? I'm asking because i would like to get a bright as possible picture that's accurate?

Of course this can be achieved on the 151 i know but if sport mode can be callibrated well then i'd go for the 600m

Also anyone know how many FL can you get in sport mode on 600m and 151?

Thanks
post #747 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Hello all,

Can sport mode on the 600M be calibrated well? I'm asking because i would like to get a bright as possible picture that's accurate?

Of course this can be achieved on the 151 In ISF i know but if sport mode can be callibrated well then i'd go for the 600m.

Also anyone know how many FL can you get in sport mode on 600m and 151?

If i had to stick to pure mode on the 600M then i've read it only gets to about 40FL. Is this true? I guess i'm not sure if that would be enough for a bright room?

Thanks
post #748 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtata View Post

Hi all owners,

I've been lurking for a while, and recently posted a thread about choosing between the 6020, Panny 58 800U and the upcoming Panny 58 V10

The problem with 6020 is obviously the price, and good thing about 800U is the lowprice.

Someone pointed me to 600M, and I am very intrigued, as I don't need tuner nor speakers.

I am able to find a pretty good deal from monitoroutlet , thanks to the people who pointed that out from the thread.

However, before I pull the trigger, can someone comment how satisfy they are with the customer services there.. how trustworthy it is.. how's the delivery.. should i go with the white glove delivery .. should i buy extra warranty.. etc etc.

if the information is sensitive.. then please PM me

thanks for all the help in advance!!!!

I'd check some of the Forum sponsors first.
post #749 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xortam View Post

Never heard of a "Non-Elite Signature". I think you're confused.

I think he's referring to the 500M/600M.
As someone else noted, their 141FD shows up as KRP-500M/600M.

Meaning these KRP models seem to be closely related to the Kuro Signature line.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=19
post #750 of 4963 Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Sorry to bump this but it would greatly be appreciated if any AVS folk who've received their 500M (and 600M) could help with any of this:

Since the brochure gives the distance between the left and right supports as 19 17/32 inches, would any Pioneer stand with screw holes 19 17/32 inches apart work?

Or would the vertical distance between any holes on the mounting bracket come into play as well (see below)?

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page