The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Now we have fanboyism within the same brand? Common let everyone have their own opinion. And talking about how much was spent is not right since MANY will tell you its more than worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought a KRP-500M on Monday. I love it!

Just some Integra, Focal, and some PS Audio Equipment..
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nulleffect View Post

curious.. did you get a good one, mrTAPOUT?

of course not. huge crack indeed. sad day 4 me
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideogeek View Post

I think you are just digging your own grave but you may continue. Obviously you never read my post when I admitted that I made a mistake in referring to them as Signature monitors....

Ofcourse I understand if you need to justify the fact that you spent 2x the price to get a Signature Elite model over a KRP-500/600 series display. Don't worry I affirm the Signature's demigod-like status for you . It's surprising what kind of controversy a single sentence can generate from AVSForum but I suppose that's to be expected when you are dealing with fanboyism...

I did read your follow up.

Look, some of you are misinterpreting my intentions here as they're not to a) justify my purchase, b) tout the PRO-141FD as a deity, c) sell or promote PRO-141FD displays or d) just be a nuisance to KRP fans. Perhaps some of you are reflecting your own emotions upon my posts. I'm just responding to comments and questions that have been put to me after I questioned audiovideogeek about what these supposedly new displays were (I correctly speculated that he/she was mistaken but you never know what odd thing Pioneer might do in these last days). If anyone is still confused or has questions about the differences between these two lines then post in SoSo's Pioneer 9G Kuro Comparison Chart: xx20, 500/600M, 111/151, 101/141, 500/600A, LX-XX90 thread and we can discuss it there. I'll still be compelled to respond to questions/comments directed towards me here and to correct misinformation so bear that in mind.

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

I think you and I agreed a little while ago

Thats right, I forgot about that..lol.. ....caught up in the moment I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Now we have fanboyism within the same brand? Common let everyone have their own opinion. And talking about how much was spent is not right since MANY will tell you its more than worth it.

Opinions are fantastic and eveyone should indeed have one, but currently we are disputing physical facts it would seem? All of these Pioneer plasmas may be worth more in the mental grand scheme of things, but in the real world, price is a very big reality check for most, especially right now, so getting the facts out there on whats available and whats the best bang for the buck and such, is helpful to many!

I am not trying to butt heads with you I swear, I just see things a teeny bit different. Will you still sell me something if I beg ??? Take care!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by xortam View Post

There's no implication. I'm merely stating that in the general sense that two matching calibration reports don't tell you the whole story. You could have two equally fine calibration reports from two very different types of displays (for instance a 9G Elite plasma versus some other future display technology) and they may provide a very different viewing experience. Calibration reports don't address this so called DSE, SD PQ, temporal resolution and artifacts, etc.. A panel of experienced reviewers may give you a much better sense of how various products perform.

P.S. I guess maybe you interpreted my statements as dis'ing your comparison of the PQ between the Elites vs. the KRP monitors. That wouldn't be correct as I respect your opinion and access to information regarding these displays. I also stated that different people may pick out different flaws in video images. You may not be as sensitive to phosphor lag as other reviewers for instance. I also asked if you compared them side-by-side (after you've calibrated them both) because there may be a subtle difference in the PQ that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Instead of attempting to add in different brands, lets stick to the original scope of your posts which is KRP vs Signature series.

There is NO difference in performance, visual or measurment, between a KRP monitor and Signature series when it comes to Pure mode. NONE.

As far as your "dis'ing" comment, no I did not take offense to anything you posted. Those are your opinions. However, the facts on what makes up the Signature and KRP series does not jiive with your opinion. I just hope you understand why that is.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

D-Nice, thank you for your information and clarification.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Brand new to forum. Read most of this entire thread, so I get it. I don't like risking the fact the new Panasonic Neo-PDP 58" in August may not be as good, or may be as good or better than the Pioneer, because it's the first year of the technology, and may in fact not be any less money than a 600M. I watch a lot of broadcast on cable but do not need the cable box, but a stand alone tuner/receiver with QAM. So I've been researching those like crazy. Found the most common Samsung 260 (looks like it is discontinued), but I did find Totevision has a new model just coming out, ATSC-100, that looks like it will work with an antenna and cable. It is $165, so if I add that to the cost of a 600M, I think I'm still comfortably way under the price of a 151FD Elite (haven't shopped the 600M yet), but maybe for me that would be better for me, although I would get my own speakers for surround. Either unit would meet my needs, but saving money and putting it towards the entire system I need is very attractive. Comments? Second question, I'm not familiar at all with the Signature model. Is that something available here in the USA? Thanks, Mark
Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeisen View Post

It is $165, so if I add that to the cost of a 600M, I think I'm still comfortably way under the price of a 151FD Elite (haven't shopped the 600M yet), but maybe for me that would be better for me, although I would get my own speakers for surround. Either unit would meet my needs, but saving money and putting it towards the entire system I need is very attractive. Comments? Second question, I'm not familiar at all with the Signature model. Is that something available here in the USA? Thanks, Mark

They carry the signature models at Best Buy if they have a Magnolia mini-store for the high end stuff. I think they just dropped the price there to $5500. At least at the store I was in last night.

The signature model is pretty close to the KRP-600M, the differences are covered in more detail here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126267

Main difference (aside from the hand picked parts) is the support for ISFccc (Day, Night, Auto) picture settings, which apparently give it an edge in picture quality over the 600M. There is speculation that given the hardware similarities you might be able to hack the 600M to do them, but nobody has done/tried it yet.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brand new to forum. Read most of this entire thread, so I get it. I don't like risking the fact the new Panasonic Neo-PDP 58" in August may not be as good, or may be as good or better than the Pioneer, because it's the first year of the technology, and may in fact not be any less money than a 600M. I watch a lot of broadcast on cable but do not need the cable box, but a stand alone tuner/receiver with QAM. So I've been researching those like crazy. Found the most common Samsung 260 (looks like it is discontinued), but I did find Totevision has a new model just coming out, ATSC-100, that looks like it will work with an antenna and cable. It is $165, so if I add that to the cost of a 600M, I think I'm still comfortably way under the price of a 151FD Elite (haven't shopped the 600M yet), but maybe for me that would be better for me, although I would get my own speakers for surround. Either unit would meet my needs, but saving money and putting it towards the entire system I need is very attractive. Comments? Second question, I'm not familiar at all with the Signature model. Is that something available here in the USA? Thanks, Mark

I will try and answer some of this, but I hope others will also add there input too. The Signature model is indeed sold in the United States, and is more-so available to the general public by being sold in bigger retail stores like Best Buy/Magnolia and such. The Signature 60" model you speak of is the 141FD. It is more physically stripped down version of the 151FD, meaning no speakers, no tuner, no stand, etc..You will need a surround speaker setup and a home theater reciever to run those speakers. You will need to buy a stand or wall mount. Lastly, you will need some form of tuner to bring in the television channels, such as cable, satellite, FIOS, etc...On a side note, the 600M does have the ability to hook up attached speakers using the built in audio circuitry, where-as the 141FD does not have this capability. That would eliminate the need for a surround sound setup, but I would want a surround sound setup with a tv like this anyways

The 600M is "FOR THE MOST PART" a 141FD, with a few differences, with the main one being the lack of an ISFccc interface. For specific differences, please see this comparison chart:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126267

It has everything you need to know about any differences there are between ALL the models. Make sure you get a quote from various vendors/sponsors on here for the 600M, as you will be surprised at the savings . If you must have ISFccc though, the 600M will not give you what you want unfortunately. However, if pure mode is what you want, the 600M is as good as it gets and is identical to the 141FD in the picture quality department. Good luck with your decisions and keep us posted if you buy something.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it...lol....I am a slow typer. I'll leave mine up also
Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks. I should have Googled "Signature", which I did. I see they are the 141 model, which I see why they call it Signature, but I thought it was a Gen8, not the latest, and I thought it was last year's and the one's on the market were leftovers. Did they produce it in a Gen9, if you know? I just printed out the chart before your reply to study it in detail. I get the ISF thing, which like a lot of people it doesn't bother me, nor the anti-glare/lack of anti-glare (whichever it is on the 600M, as I got confused on this aspect, but it really doesn't matter either). Mainly, my issue is whether I'm going to be able to get a stand alone tuner with QAM that will work without glitches vs. the one built in to the 151, and whether and how much I can expect to save with the 600M + tuner set up over the 151. Mark
Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I should have Googled "Signature", which I did. I see they are the 141 model, which I see why they call it Signature, but I thought it was a Gen8, not the latest, and I thought it was last year's and the one's on the market were leftovers. Did they produce it in a Gen9, if you know? I just printed out the chart before your reply to study it in detail. I get the ISF thing, which like a lot of people it doesn't bother me, nor the anti-glare/lack of anti-glare (whichever it is on the 600M, as I got confused on this aspect, but it really doesn't matter either). Mainly, my issue is whether I'm going to be able to get a stand alone tuner with QAM that will work without glitches vs. the one built in to the 151, and whether and how much I can expect to save with the 600M + tuner set up over the 151. Mark

You should get my PM and I hope it helps. It contains info. that I cannot post here.

In regard of the above questions, the Signatures are Gen 9. NOT Gen 8. As a matter of fact, there is no Gen 8 Signature. The Anti-Glare is the same among Elite, Signature and KRP-500/600M.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 141FD is Gen9 only...latest models. The 600 and the 141 share almost all the same parts including the glass itself. The glare filtering may possibly be the same too ( not 100% sure on that one), but the 600 does have "at least" Elite level glare filtering. Specific pricing cannot be posted on here, but the "difference/savings" will be approx $1500 between your two proposals. Hope that helps!

EDIT: lol....I got beat again . I need a typing class, or even better, I need to just get a life and not sit on here all day...lol...
Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndisgii View Post

EDIT: lol....I got beat again . I need a typing class, or even better, I need to just get a life and not sit on here all day...lol...

You definitely need both the typing class and a "life". I sent the PM first and then post, still beat you to it.

Too funny
Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

You definitely need both the typing class and a "life". I sent the PM first and then post, still beat you to it.

Too funny

I know....I suck...lol...It gets quite boring here at work sometimes. I just sit around and wait for peoples computers to break, so that I can go out and fix them. Unfortunately, sometimes things just dont break and I have to sit here on the internet waiting for calls . I feel mandated to grace this forum with my presence...lol...I know I know, just kidding everyone . I know there are some that would love for me to go away forever, but this isnt their lucky day
Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Thanks, guys! That all really does help. I was always stumped why the 141 seemed to be priced above the 151; I thought Pioneer lowered the price with the Gen9 and dealers got stuck with old stock at a higher price. That's what I get from reading the magazine reviews too much and not AVS. I definitely will join. Got to study the comparison chart in detail. Looks like the 600M will save so much it will easily pay for a surround speaker system and it really is going to be the way to go. Mark
Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, guys! That all really does help. I was always stumped why the 141 seemed to be priced above the 151; I thought Pioneer lowered the price with the Gen9 and dealers got stuck with old stock at a higher price. That's what I get from reading the magazine reviews too much and not AVS. I definitely will join. Got to study the comparison chart in detail. Looks like the 600M will save so much it will easily pay for a surround speaker system and it really is going to be the way to go. Mark

No problem at all, and yes, study those charts and read the threads in whole, to make sure you get no surprises. From the things you mentioned so far, I think you will love it!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know....I suck...lol...It gets quite boring here at work sometimes. I just sit around and wait for peoples computers to break, so that I can go out and fix them. Unfortunately, sometimes things just dont break and I have to sit here on the internet waiting for calls . I feel mandated to grace this forum with my presence...lol...I know I know, just kidding everyone . I know there are some that would love for me to go away forever, but this isnt their lucky day

If you haven't seen it yet. You NEED to see The IT Crowd.

"Did you turn it off and back on again" has been enshrined as the First Law of Computer Tech Support at my company.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problem at all, and yes, study those charts and read the threads in whole, to make sure you get no surprises. From the things you mentioned so far, I think you will love it!

+1

BTW, ndisgii, you and me seems to have a lot of thing in common (about the work stuff).
Old 04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

If you haven't seen it yet. You NEED to see The IT Crowd.

"Did you turn it off and back on again" has been enshrined as the First Law of Computer Tech Support at my company.

Looks like something I would get a kick out of...lol...I love the movie "Office Space" and also like "The Office" series. I might check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

+1

BTW, ndisgii, you and me seems to have a lot of thing in common (about the work stuff).

I think there are alot more of us on here too, as it seems that way more gets posted on here during work hours, and not so much during the weekends when more people should be free...lol...

We are definitely getting off topic now...lol...

GO KRP
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM

So Before I go and get bogged down in the HDTV Technical forum, any quick recommendations for a HDTV OTA tuner? I'm in the NYC area so signal should be pretty good. I know the Samsung 260s are liked but was hoping for something cheaper but solid.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousse View Post

So Before I go and get bogged down in the HDTV Technical forum, any quick recommendations for a HDTV OTA tuner? I'm in the NYC area so signal should be pretty good. I know the Samsung 260s are liked but was hoping for something cheaper but solid.

Check Amazon; it appears that Terk is popular on Amazon. I am looking into one as well for my AM21 tuner box from D*.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrTAPOUT View Post

of course not. huge crack indeed. sad day 4 me

damn dude, sorry to hear it man

i'm a lurker from the great photo thread on teamxbox, and have always loved your shots.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Does AV Science sell the KRP-600M panels? If not which forum dealers should I contact?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopezislander View Post

Does AV Science sell the KRP-600M panels? If not which forum dealers should I contact?

Robert (DTV TiVo Dealer) at Value Electronics or Roman (ROMAN O) at BuyBestPlasma are two excellent dealers that are often praised here.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi guys, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on 600M, but all these talks about panny plasma is better (for some individual) and not much worse (for most individual) is making me confused again.

afterall, i can get the 58 panny at LEAST 1k cheaper than the Pio 600M.. and 1K is good chunk of $$..

and the fact that pioneer is out.. and warranty in the future is unclear further confuses me

what should i do?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carftopher View Post

Robert (DTV TiVo Dealer) at Value Electronics or Roman (ROMAN O) at BuyBestPlasma are two excellent dealers that are often praised here.

As for forum sponsors, those mentioned are absolutely great, and I believe Alex at Invision is a good one too that might have it. There are probably others as well, you just have to call around. For a few other non-forum sponsors, please PM me, but using sponsors is good practice and they will take care of you. Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtata View Post

Hi guys, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on 600M, but all these talks about panny plasma is better (for some individual) and not much worse (for most individual) is making me confused again.

afterall, i can get the 58 panny at LEAST 1k cheaper than the Pio 600M.. and 1K is good chunk of $$..

and the fact that pioneer is out.. and warranty in the future is unclear further confuses me

what should i do?

That is a tough choice and seems to be the most common comparison currently. Which model 58" Panny is it? From all the reading I have done, I give the edge to the Pioneer, but I am no expert by any means, so research, research, research!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

Check Amazon; it appears that Terk is popular on Amazon. I am looking into one as well for my AM21 tuner box from D*.

Thanks, but I actually meant a HDTV ATSC tuner
Old 04-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Where can I buy the KRP-600M? I can't find a AVS forum sponsor selling these. Can someone please pm me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post

Where can I buy the KRP-600M? I can't find a AVS forum sponsor selling these. Can someone please pm me. Thanks.

Check posts 835 and 837 Those will get you going in the right direction

Here is the full list I believe:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/advertisers.php

Gotta get on the phone