The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

My wife thought they were microphones, she thought I bought a karioke(sp) machine

or 3!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessblue View Post

I think **************** should cover the entire cost. A brand new set and now you have to pay $400 more to get a replacement (after initially being told $1000!!)?? What state are you in, I'm wondering how far the 500M traveled.

All these cracked panels, makes me a bit nervous. Seem too delicate. Is it Pioneer's panels? Their packaging? The shipper?

If I had to guess, I willing to bet the glass is slightly thinner, or possibly the 2.5 inch thinness of these panels does not have as much torsional rigidity as 4 and 5 inch panels. They have been packaging PDPs the same way for years with styrofoam, I never heard of so many cracks before now. Shipper was very careful in my case. panel was strapped to a custom pallet.
post #1233 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:

This Thread needs some pics

Awesome - I've got that concert on mail-order right now in blu-ray. I saw them in Singapore on this tour - what a great show!!

BTW, Very nice setup, I like the matching wood tones of your speakers and entertainment center.
post #1234 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
mfb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

This Thread needs some pics

Nice setup! I still love the look and sound of the B&W speakers.

Here is a blast from the past and my first Pio. I think it was back in 2001....
LL
post #1235 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

^^ Is it possible for you to post what a crack on this set looks like? I am curious as to what I should be looking for when this set comes next week.

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera other than a cell phone camera, which I doubt will do it justice.

The crack was harder to spot than I would have imagined. I only found it using a flashlight, which is best shone at an angle in order to hit the crack tangentially.

--Eric
post #1236 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessblue View Post

What state are you in, I'm wondering how far the 500M traveled.

All these cracked panels, makes me a bit nervous. Seem too delicate. Is it Pioneer's panels? Their packaging? The shipper?

I'm in Illinois. That means the set traveled from the factory in California to New York, and then to Chicago. Who knows at what point--or in whose possession--it cracked. Hence the final shipper's reluctance to pay (I assume it was a different shipper from Pioneer to the dealer than from the dealer to me).

Some people have said the packaging is poorly designed. The styrofoam is indeed firm, and not as shock-absorbent as one would like. So, even though my plasma was shipped upright on a pallet, the bouncing of the truck and lack of shock absorption presumably led to the damage.

For what it's worth, I'm apparently the first person to have a 500M crack; the problem has really been with the 600Ms. Unfortunately, that fact may hurt me in making a case to Pioneer that they should pay for the replacement.

I think the bottom line here is that people should ask their vendor what happens in the case of a cracked screen on arrival, before buying.

--Eric
post #1237 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I posted these earlier in the shipment thread. I've since deleted those as they probably belong here instead.

front view
side view w/ mount
post #1238 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Liked: 11
ok guys, wanted to post my impression of the TV. after approx. 166 hours of break in, I put all my speakers back in place and connected everything. and really, all I can say is wow. my previous TV is a Sony SXRD 50A2000. while it is no slouch in its own right, but the color accuracy and its deep blacks of the 600m really trounced the Sony.

I only had the chance of using 2 sources so far. a DirecTV HR21 HD DVR, and a Oppo 981 upconverting DVD player to 1080p resolution. for settings, I am using a combination of PBJunior's settings in post 961, which was posted by another user, and also the combination of the home theater mag's settings for 141. I also felt that at color for +8 on the home theater mag's settings, is just slightly oversaturated for my taste. I am having the settings on either +5 or +6 for now. when playing the oppo, I am using Pure mode, which I felt it had great color accuracy. the test disc was just a "the dark knight" standard dvd. and it looked great with the upconverted image. (trying to acquire a blu ray player in the mean time too).

I also have a home made bias light sitting behind the tv, and to me, and this is just my opinion. it is definitely the "blackest" tv that I've own. I certainly cannot make out where the bezel start versus the screen image, since dark knight is 2.35 : 1. could the TV be darker? sure, it can, but I can honestly say that everybody that is a 600m/500m owner would be very happy. I certainly am. of course, we are all still interested with d nice and elite's settings when they have them. but really, out of the box, especially in pure mode, there really isn't too much for everyone to tweak, at least not to me, the pioneer n00b.

I am having a hard time however, decide between standard and optimum mode for viewing directv content. standard gives is more pop, whereas optimum gives a more natural skin tone. But to answer the RGB settings question, on my HR21, you do not need to fiddle with the rgb settings, as D Nice was right on this. when I watched "harper's island" last night, there was a scene where they were near the dark water, the person literally looked like they were floating in that "dark" water on tv. and when I see 4:3 commercials in between, the borders were very dark, so I wanted to confirm that with everybody. I have to say this is the most expensive purchase I've made to my home electronics so far, but a worthy one to be sure. And now I just need to get to that 700-800 hrs threshold so the tv can get even that much better.
post #1239 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelton View Post

For what it's worth, I'm apparently the first person to have a 500M crack; the problem has really been with the 600Ms. Unfortunately, that fact may hurt me in making a case to Pioneer that they should pay for the replacement.

I think the bottom line here is that people should ask their vendor what happens in the case of a cracked screen on arrival, before buying.

The basic suggestion I'm seeing in the 600m delivery thread is that you should take it out of the box when you receive it and check it for any cracks, BEFORE accepting the shipment and if it is damaged that you should refuse to accept it.
post #1240 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

I only had the chance of using 2 sources so far. a DirecTV HR21 HD DVR, and a Oppo 981 upconverting DVD player to 1080p resolution

You definitely want to invest in a Blu Ray player, no up converting DVD player can touch a well crafted Blu Ray movie. Though like with early DVDs there are a number of disks that were... not well done. So it's a good idea to check in the AVS thread on blu ray releases to see what the consensus is on a release. Just keep in mind that it seems like some of the guys there, would complain about the quality of a pristine 70mm master.
post #1241 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

If I had to guess, I willing to bet the glass is slightly thinner, or possibly the 2.5 inch thinness of these panels does not have as much torsional rigidity as 4 and 5 inch panels. They have been packaging PDPs the same way for years with styrofoam, I never heard of so many cracks before now. Shipper was very careful in my case. panel was strapped to a custom pallet.

you have to remember also that these units have no stands like the other pioneer's. with the others the stand helped prevent sway to an extent.

jimi
post #1242 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

The basic suggestion I'm seeing in the 600m delivery thread is that you should take it out of the box when you receive it and check it for any cracks, BEFORE accepting the shipment and if it is damaged that you should refuse to accept it.

Also make sure the panel is pointing to a window in the room. this will greatly help. if you want to get crazy the flashlight like others said is good too, but as long as the room is bright and facing a window you should have no prob seeing a crack.

jim
post #1243 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats View Post

You definitely want to invest in a Blu Ray player, no up converting DVD player can touch a well crafted Blu Ray movie. Though like with early DVDs there are a number of disks that were... not well done. So it's a good idea to check in the AVS thread on blu ray releases to see what the consensus is on a release. Just keep in mind that it seems like some of the guys there, would complain about the quality of a pristine 70mm master.

Get a BluRay player and Baraka. you'll never want to go back to DVDs.
post #1244 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

Get a BluRay player and Baraka. you'll never want to go back to DVDs.

I am trying guys, but I have a hard debate between getting a PS3, versus the Oppo 83. I just don't know how much longer I can wait for Oppo to release the player. I kind of want to get blu ray now, but thinking what I could miss out if and when Oppo 83 comes out......
post #1245 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 PM

You know what would make this Good Friday a Better Friday? A delicious D-Nice calibration settings post from elite-home
post #1246 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
im still undecided on a mount. seems i cant find anything that isnt profiled atleast 2.5" out from the wall. are there any low profile mounts, say 1.5" or less, that are compatible with the 600m?
post #1247 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #1248 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

im still undecided on a mount. seems i cant find anything that isnt profiled atleast 2.5" out from the wall. are there any low profile mounts, say 1.5" or less, that are compatible with the 600m?

I mounted my 600M with a Peerless SF670 (from amazon) flat mount and it's profile is approximately 1.75 inches from the wall. I think it was a good value and installed fine.

If you want it as close as possible to the wall and don't mind paying at least twice as much, go for the Pioneer brand mount which is about 1 inch I think.
post #1249 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #1250 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #1251 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home View Post

enjoy

So this might be a stupid question, but you happy with how everything came out? Better than you thought. . . or did you expect it. . . You notice a big difference? Just wondering. . .

jimi
post #1252 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:

enjoy

Would you be kind enough to post your post calibration pure settings for the 600M? I know everyone else won't get the same results as your 600M with those settings but a least it will be a starting point kind of like D-Nice posted in the main 9G setting thread. I believe D-Nice said the 151 pure settings would not be close to the 600M. Thanks for your time.
post #1253 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

So this might be a stupid question, but you happy with how everything came out? Better than you thought. . . or did you expect it. . . You notice a big difference? Just wondering. . .

jimi

I really haven't had the chance to enjoy since the calibration, it has been a long week at work so I am looking forward to this weekend and really getting a feel for the changes.

I will say the limited amount of time I have watched the 600m the changes have been really amazing. I look forward to rewatching my collection of movies and with the wife and kids in Florida for Easter- believe me I WILL
post #1254 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

I am trying guys, but I have a hard debate between getting a PS3, versus the Oppo 83. I just don't know how much longer I can wait for Oppo to release the player. I kind of want to get blu ray now, but thinking what I could miss out if and when Oppo 83 comes out......

do you do any gaming whatsoever? or have any desire to stream media? If so, go with the PS3.

The Oppo's boot times seem terrific and the built in IR is nice, but if you do any gaming, get the PS3 without hesitation. If you dont game, well the Oppo may just be the ticket.
post #1255 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashJordan View Post

You know what would make this Good Friday a Better Friday? A delicious D-Nice calibration settings post from elite-home

I am not sure I have the biggest ears around but playing the role of easter bunny was my pleasure... and it wasnt some cheap candy either
post #1256 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I am not sure I have the biggest ears around but playing the role of easter bunny was my pleasure... and it wasnt some cheap candy either

I will post the individual settings for the 500/600 tonight when I get the chance, sorry for the delay.
post #1257 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post

Would you be kind enough to post your post calibration pure settings for the 600M? I know everyone else won't get the same results as your 600M with those settings but a least it will be a starting point kind of like D-Nice posted in the main 9G setting thread. I believe D-Nice said the 151 pure settings would not be close to the 600M. Thanks for your time.

sure, i dont mind... new to this, wasnt sure what everyone needed. i should have them posted by 7-8. we have been moving into other offices at work and it has been some long long long days. sorry.
post #1258 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

sure, i dont mind... new to this, wasnt sure what everyone needed. i should have them posted by 7-8. we have been moving into other offices at work and it has been some long long long days. sorry.

Thanks for the updates! Timing is perfect too, finished the break-in this morning, and currently picking out a movie for tonight. I'll be anxious to see the improvements, not that I have had much time to play with the current settings..

I really appreciate all of d-nice's and your work on this
post #1259 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:

That would be great. This is a example of what settings would be helpful for everyone to get a good starting point...

Pioneer Elite 151FD Pure Mode Reference Settings (ONLY use these settings after the 150 hour break-in period!!!!!!!!!)

Picture:
AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 38
Brightness: 0
Color: +3
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -15

Pro Adjust

Pure Cinema
Film Mode: Advance
Text Optimization: Off

Intelligence: Off

Picture Detail:
DRE Picture: Off
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Enhancer Mode: 1
Gamma: 2

Color Detail:
Color Temp: Manual
R High +2
G High -1
B High +3
R Low -1
G Low +1
B Low 0

CTI: Off

Color Management
R 0
Y +1
G +1
C -1
B +2
M -2

Color Space: 2

Noise Reduction:

3DNR: Off
Field NR: Off
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off

Screen Size: Full
Power Save Mode: Off
Orbiter: Mode 2

Calibration Report:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Post Calibration Report (Pure Mode).pdf (181.2 KB, 480 views)
Last edited by D-Nice; 11-23-08 at 01:36 AM..

These settings were posted in the 9G settings thread by D-Nice, but after he calibrated your 600M, he said the 151 pure settings are not even close for the 600M pure settings. Your settings will at least get everyone close to a accurate picture. I have a Eye-One LT color correction meter that I will be using for calibration next week after the in-laws leave. Just don't have the time now to do a calibration. Thanks in advance.
post #1260 of 4963 Old 04-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Hi Elite,

thanks for the calibration report so far. and thank you in advance for posting the settings for 500m/600m perhaps later tonight. if you don't mind provide the source components that you are using, that'd be great too. if not, certainly no worries. thanks again!
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page