The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post

YOTR- I looked for it on the TV menu but didn't see any banding with the still DVR menu background. I will look at my Blu-ray menus later, but so far I haven't noticed any.

Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't have a PS3 or xbox360, but I just checked some blu-ray menus - nothing. I have my PC hooked up to HDMI at 1920x1080, so I set the background to green (like a movie preview rating green). If I go to the large pro-adjust menu, there is a very very slightly darker green band below where the menu ends. But the difference it is barely visible.
post #2163 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

As far as I can tell I have noticed it on the PS3 and XBOX 360. I don't believe I have seen it on my HD DVR because many times the feed is not the best (even high def on the DVR isn't as clear as blu ray obviously). If you have a PS3, you can't see any banding or layered color on any of the background colors correct? The easiest one to see it on is the Metal Gear Solid 4 wallpaper on the PS Store. When I installed that, the top area of the screen had a grey layered look to the wallpaper (like different shades of grey). I assumed this was just the source or wallpaper being low res. I also noticed this layed color look in the PS Store on the blue background. It isn't horrible but definitely noticeable. Those instances don't look like banding to me. It seems like it is the source. I have tried different cables and even moved stuff around power wise to make sure. It just seems weird to me that I am the only person noticing this. The set arrived safely and I have had no quirks with it other than this issue. My wife thinks I am being way to anal about it but then again I have had enough Pioneer plasma's over the last few years to know what to look for if there is an issue. Again I only noticed it once on the XBOX and that was last night while playing Assassin's Creed. This time though it looks like very very faint horizontal lines (very small/thin at that, not the normal large banding lines) that could only been seen if you were a few feet from the set. It wasn't overly dramatic.

Yes, I have a PS3 and I really can't recall I have notice what you have described. Maybe if you have a friend to lend you a blu-ray player (not PS3) to try out on Wall-E, just to be sure.
post #2164 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM

If you'd like, I can test it out with some blu rays on my PS3 and let you know. I do not see anything on the menu, but then again, I am at work.

If we are going to test PS3 and possible banding issues though, keep in mind, that I only have a handful of blu rays to test it out for you. PM me if you're interested, and I'll let you know what blu rays I have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

As far as I can tell I have noticed it on the PS3 and XBOX 360. I don't believe I have seen it on my HD DVR because many times the feed is not the best (even high def on the DVR isn't as clear as blu ray obviously). If you have a PS3, you can't see any banding or layered color on any of the background colors correct? The easiest one to see it on is the Metal Gear Solid 4 wallpaper on the PS Store. When I installed that, the top area of the screen had a grey layered look to the wallpaper (like different shades of grey). I assumed this was just the source or wallpaper being low res. I also noticed this layed color look in the PS Store on the blue background. It isn't horrible but definitely noticeable. Those instances don't look like banding to me. It seems like it is the source. I have tried different cables and even moved stuff around power wise to make sure. It just seems weird to me that I am the only person noticing this. The set arrived safely and I have had no quirks with it other than this issue. My wife thinks I am being way to anal about it but then again I have had enough Pioneer plasma's over the last few years to know what to look for if there is an issue. Again I only noticed it once on the XBOX and that was last night while playing Assassin's Creed. This time though it looks like very very faint horizontal lines (very small/thin at that, not the normal large banding lines) that could only been seen if you were a few feet from the set. It wasn't overly dramatic.

post #2165 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
i had calibrated greyscale using test patterns in DVDO edge. i recently got DVE on blu-ray. doing a realtime measurement with a display 2 meter on a 30 IRE window. the edge 30 IRE window reads x= .313 y= .329 and the DVE disc reads x= .315 y= .331. i then did a full calibration with DVE disc and now may setting on my 600m are alot closer to home-elites set. with the edge processor running the patterns, to get a good calibration i had my gamma set to 4, my white balance blue high to +16 and alot of all over the place settings. now with DVE disc gamma is set at 2 and other settings are almost identical to home-elites calibrated 600m. i guess i will stick with using DVE disc.
post #2166 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a PS3 or xbox360, but I just checked some blu-ray menus - nothing. I have my PC hooked up to HDMI at 1920x1080, so I set the background to green (like a movie preview rating green). If I go to the large pro-adjust menu, there is a very very slightly darker green band below where the menu ends. But the difference it is barely visible.

Thanks. I actually did this same test last night and notice a slight line on the top of the menu that extends out like ghosting/banding. Like you stated mine is also very faint but I can see it a few feet back. I actually also have a little light banding on the movie preview screen that you described. I can see some banding on either side of the lettering. Do you see any of that on your preview screen? Sorry for so many questions. I am just trying to rule everything out. I really do appreciate you taking the time to check for me.
post #2167 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

If you'd like, I can test it out with some blu rays on my PS3 and let you know. I do not see anything on the menu, but then again, I am at work.

If we are going to test PS3 and possible banding issues though, keep in mind, that I only have a handful of blu rays to test it out for you. PM me if you're interested, and I'll let you know what blu rays I have.....

Sending you a PM. Thanks!
post #2168 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Can someone confirm if there is any value to getting ControlCal for a KRP-500M? Since there are no ISF settings to activate, and the calibration settings are available in the standard menus, what could I do with ControlCal that I can't do without it?
post #2169 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

What could I do with ControlCal that I can't do without it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ControlCal allows the KRP series to output more light.
post #2170 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ControlCal allows the KRP series to output more light.

only if isf modes were available. the best you can do with control cal is tighten up your user mode calibrations. i got a good feeling the isf modes will get hacked or released in firmware from pioneer as they make their grand exit out of the display business. whichever happens first.
post #2171 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

No it doesn't.
post #2172 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey guys, just wanted to check in as I'm getting ready to order a mount for a 600M. I was originally going to get the Peerless 670 mount, but then came across the Omnimount ULPT-XA, which claims it's only 1.5" deep. Just wanted to make sure this mount does indeed work with this set before I order. Hoping the $50 extra for the less-depth Omnimount is worth it (it will be if everything works out).
post #2173 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

Hey guys, just wanted to check in as I'm getting ready to order a mount for a 600M. I was originally going to get the Peerless 670 mount, but then came across the Omnimount ULPT-XA, which claims it's only 1.5" deep. Just wanted to make sure this mount does indeed work with this set before I order. Hoping the $50 extra for the less-depth Omnimount is worth it (it will be if everything works out).

the sanus vmpl3 is 1.25" depth and is compatible with the 600m. i have it in my back room awaiting a panel. really looks low profile.
post #2174 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

I ended up ordering the Sanus VMPL3 and I'm hoping that it will mount the 600M without any problems. Their web site claims that in the fix mount configuration this leave a 1.25" gap behind the TV and with the [included] tilt mount, the gap is 2.5". You can see their product description here.

Casey
post #2175 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

The Omnimount ULPT-X will work for the 600M since it fits the Pro141FD according to Omnimount website. The VMPL3 1.25" depth is only for the flat mounting bracket the tilting bracket is 2.5". So if you nedd tilting, the Omnimount ULPT-X will fit nicely.
post #2176 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

the best you can do with control cal is tighten up your user mode calibrations.

So are you saying then that ControlCal DOES allow you to modify settings that are NOT in the standard menus on the KRP's?
post #2177 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedom View Post

I ended up ordering the Sanus VMPL3 and I'm hoping that it will mount the 600M without any problems. Their web site claims that in the fix mount configuration this leave a 1.25" gap behind the TV and with the [included] tilt mount, the gap is 2.5". You can see their product description here.

Casey

For the VMPL3, two things you have to make sure:
1. Mounting on triple studs.
2. To install the washers on the latch extension.

You should be fine.
post #2178 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

The Omnimount ULPT-X will work for the 600M since it fits the Pro141FD according to Omnimount website. The VMPL3 1.25" depth is only for the flat mounting bracket the tilting bracket is 2.5". So if you nedd tilting, the Omnimount ULPT-X will fit nicely.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I need the tilt (I think) so it did seem that the Omnimount would be closer to the wall than the others.
post #2179 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSo View Post

For the VMPL3, two things you have to make sure:
1. Mounting on triple studs.
2. To install the washers on the latch extension.

You should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up. I understand the first point. I presume that I'll understand the second point when I'm faced with a box full of mounting hardware ...

Also, lots of thanks for noting that the VMPL3 should work. It's been very difficult to get concrete information on which mounts worked. That's a large part of the reason I was trying to get the Pioneer KRP-WM01 but Robert said they were taking forever to come in and so I opted for the Sanus on the grounds that I wanted it in hand by the time the monitor came in. (Although with the continued lack of any concrete word on when I might see a 600M, maybe I didn't need to rush the decision ...) I also thought that the Sanus' included, optionally installable tilt hardware might be useful some day ...

Casey
post #2180 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so are you saying then that controlcal does allow you to modify settings that are not in the standard menus on the krp's?

no.
post #2181 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

no.

So unless I am going to purchase a meter and try to calibrate the set that way, it wouldn't do me any good to purchase ControlCal - Correct?
post #2182 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

No it doesn't.

I think I'm confusing the word ControlCal with the word ISFccc...
post #2183 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Turbe has a ControlCal profile that works on the KRP's at all.

On my KRP, I can get into the ISF web page (see attached pic) through the LAN interface, but it doesn't work. It's like it's there just as a tease.
LL
post #2184 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Turbe has a ControlCal profile that works on the KRP's at all.

On my KRP, I can get into the ISF web page (see attached pic) through the LAN interface, but it doesn't work. It's like it's there just as a tease.

I knew up front that ISF was not available, but getting to this screen does feel like Pioneer stuck a finger in your eye

Perhaps, after the last one is shipped some kind engineer will supply a work around

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2185 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Even more annoying is when I select an input and ISF-Mode, the KRP displays and on-screen box that says "ISF function is not available on this model."

But I am perfectly happy with the grayscale, gamma, limited CMS, and all the other adjustments that are available in the user menu and standard picture controls in the web interface.
post #2186 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:

So unless I am going to purchase a meter and try to calibrate the set that way, it wouldn't do me any good to purchase ControlCal - Correct?

The KRP-M's outside North America have ISFccc (and ControlCAL has full support).

The Standard AV selection Profile for the Monitors is near release (just a little more testing). Many have asked for it (including Pro's) since it can help cut down calibration time (i.e. adjust several Control sliders on screen vs using the RC and the User Menus)...

Also, ControlCAL is included with many CalMAN / Meter Bundles..

I'm doing other work on the North American KRP-M's (interesting findings).. never know.. stay tuned.

Turbe out!

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #2187 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I'm doing other work on the North American KRP-M's (interesting findings).. never know.. stay tuned.

Turbe out!

Tease.
Quote:
Interesting

means I might buy another profile

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2188 of 4963 Old 05-12-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:

the krp-m's outside north america have isfccc (and controlcal has full support).

The standard av selection profile for the monitors is near release (just a little more testing). Many have asked for it (including pro's) since it can help cut down calibration time (i.e. Adjust several control sliders on screen vs using the rc and the user menus)... :d

also, controlcal is included with many calman / meter bundles..

i'm doing other work on the north american krp-m's (interesting findings).. Never know.. Stay tuned.

turbe out!

ohhhhhhh snap!
post #2189 of 4963 Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The KRP-M's outside North America have ISFccc (and ControlCAL has full support).

The Standard AV selection Profile for the Monitors is near release (just a little more testing). Many have asked for it (including Pro's) since it can help cut down calibration time (i.e. adjust several Control sliders on screen vs using the RC and the User Menus)...

Also, ControlCAL is included with many CalMAN / Meter Bundles..

Turbe out!

Perfect timing! I was just about to inquire about the potential benefit of an ISF calibration given this panel lacks ISFccc,
post #2190 of 4963 Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 AM

ive been on the fence for a pro111fd for awhile now and now with the price drops i really want 1. but now from reading about the krp series its making me think twice. im stuck between the 111fd and the 600m. hows the PQ compare between the two?
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page